PDA

View Full Version : What supernatural threats would you pit against George Washington

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-17, 10:47 PM
I'm currently in the research phase of a new writing project, a comic book series or graphic novel about George Washington encountering the supernatural during the American Revolution. Think of it as HBO's John Adams miniseries meets the X-Files.

As part of my research, I thought it would be fun to solicit ideas from the creative minds here at the playground. I am especially interested in American folktales, Indian legends and African/American slave mythology.

So what would you pit against the Father of Our Country?

Raistlin1040
2009-07-17, 10:54 PM
First off, that sounds like one of the coolest ideas I've ever heard of. Second, if by Indian you mean Native American, then I have something I read about a year ago that I thought was interesting. Tuurgait (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_mythology) were spirits of sorts. They could be good or bad, but even the bad ones weren't particularly vicious. However, if an Angakkuq (on the same page) with bad intentions was controlling them, they could do all sorts of evil things.

Is that what you're looking for, sort of?

Or, now that I think of it, perhaps a Baykok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baykok).

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-17, 11:03 PM
Yes, exactly stuff like that. Thanks!

[covering my ass]I know that Native American is the correct term, but in the days of Washington (and indeed, until very recently) nobody had even heard that phrase. Since I'm writing a period piece, I'll be using period language.[/covering my ass]

Raistlin1040
2009-07-17, 11:06 PM
No, I know. I was just checking, because even though I figured you meant Native American, I wanted to be sure. I think there's some Native American in my family like, 6 generations ago or something like that and a good friend of mine is half Native American, so I'm interested in the mythology of the culture.

Callos_DeTerran
2009-07-17, 11:12 PM
I'm currently in the research phase of a new writing project, a comic book series or graphic novel about George Washington encountering the supernatural during the American Revolution. Think of it as HBO's John Adams miniseries meets the X-Files.

As part of my research, I thought it would be fun to solicit ideas from the creative minds here at the playground. I am especially interested in American folktales, Indian legends and African/American slave mythology.

Voodoo zombies. Pretty sure voodoo wasn't around by then though.

kpenguin
2009-07-17, 11:12 PM
WENDIGO!

Of course, that's more Canadian, but Washington was in the French and Indian War, wasn't he? It could be a flashback or a prologue.

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-17, 11:15 PM
Indeed, much of the book will be about Washington's role in the bizarre and poorly understood French and Indian War.

EDIT: Just read up on Wendigo, and it is almost too perfect for one of the stories I have planned.

kpenguin
2009-07-17, 11:35 PM
George Washington was also America's first and greatest vampire slayer.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9836/washingtonue6.jpg

The Washington Monument? A giant stake.

thegurullamen
2009-07-17, 11:53 PM
First off, congratulations on one of the most interesting and must-read forum titles I've ever seen.

That said, he rediscovers Roanoke. Hilarity Elder gods ensue.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-18, 02:42 AM
Can he have a cross-over team-up with Time-travelling Thomas Jefferson? (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=12&issue=14)

Regardless, this is awesome.

Thrawn183
2009-07-18, 02:50 AM
Yes, exactly stuff like that. Thanks!

[covering my ass]I know that Native American is the correct term, but in the days of Washington (and indeed, until very recently) nobody had even heard that phrase. Since I'm writing a period piece, I'll be using period language.[/covering my ass]

Actually, American Indian is the correct term. It implies that they are Indians in America, whereas Native American applies that they are Americans, which many are not fond of.

I think that's one of the only 2 useful things I ever got out of my college sociology class.

Cubey
2009-07-18, 02:52 AM
The second I saw this thread, I thought of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRom1Rz8OA) youtube video. (moderately NSFW language)

Bhu
2009-07-18, 04:08 AM
I do have a few encyclopedias and such that have native american critters. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I should warn in advance some of the myths are somewhat nsfw.

Athaniar
2009-07-18, 09:39 AM
Actually, American Indian is the correct term. It implies that they are Indians in America, whereas Native American applies that they are Americans, which many are not fond of.

Why? They are natives of the continent(s) of America. That would naturally make them native Americans. And American Indian implies as much as Native American that they are American (which they are).

Indon
2009-07-18, 09:53 AM
You could also have threats from Europe - a witch coven, in the Salem tradition, could have some possibility ("And now to take this new continent in the name of OUR MASTER SATAN!").

Also, Jesuit secret agents out to undermine the establishment of freedom of religion in the fledgling United States (mind that Catholics and Protestants don't have very good relations). You could introduce them in mundane flavor, or in Miraculously Superhuman flavor.

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-18, 11:18 AM
I do have a few encyclopedias and such that have native american critters. Anything in particular you're looking for?

I should warn in advance some of the myths are somewhat nsfw.

Anything that you think would make an interesting opponent (or ally) for the father of our country. NSFW is fine.

Indon: good ideas!

Flame of Anor
2009-07-18, 11:31 AM
First off, congratulations on one of the most interesting and must-read forum titles I've ever seen.

That said, he rediscovers Roanoke. Hilarity Elder gods ensue.

Yes, this.

That said, I don't know enough about the mythology of this time and place and culture to be much help, and most of what I do know comes from watching Supernatural. :smallwink:

But George Washington was at least as awesome as he is mythologized as. I would love to see the finished product--be sure you put it up on GitP!

P.S. Oh wait, I just thought, what if in the later, Revolution-era parts, King George has scary dark magic powers? That would be an awesome boss fight.
P.P.S. George Washington should have a cool historical weapon. Maybe Crocea Mors, Julius Caesar's legendary sword?
P.P.P.S. I'm doing Science and I'm still alive.

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-18, 11:44 AM
Mabey the trickster coyote from the native american tales?

Athaniar
2009-07-18, 01:00 PM
P.S. Oh wait, I just thought, what if in the later, Revolution-era parts, King George has scary dark magic powers? That would be an awesome boss fight.

And he sends european mythological creatures into battle alongside his army? That would be cool.

darkblade
2009-07-18, 01:24 PM
It seems like you want a mostly magic base for the extranormal things you're pitting Washington against but considering the time period this is set in you are right on the cusp between clockpunk and steampunk which can be used for all sorts of craziness.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-07-18, 04:11 PM
He should duel the evil wizard King George and his hunting dogs, a pair of barghest's/black ghost dogs. Washington would have maybe some badass wolves or wolverines on his side.

Also, as someone who lives in Rhode Island, I have to second the Lovecraftian creatures. Even if they're not that old school, they're classic New England. HP Lovecraft's grave reads "I am Providence."

JonestheSpy
2009-07-18, 04:16 PM
Defintely Roankoe - that's uber X-Files territory.

Also, you gotta have the European Illuminati in there - there's already tons of weird material out there about that, including the head of the Bavarian Illuminati murdering Washintong and impersonating him.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-07-18, 05:25 PM
Adam Weishaupt was a baller in the first degree.

Especially his Cerebus incarnation; "What folly. . . what magnificent folly."

chiasaur11
2009-07-18, 05:27 PM
Dracula.

Hey, Vlad the Impaler was already dead, and any monster hunter fighting Dracula is fun times.

CDR_Doom
2009-07-18, 07:18 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Freemasons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry). Washington and a lot of the founding fathers were masons, and there is all kinds of crazy stuff that people think they do.

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-18, 07:40 PM
I'm honestly shocked no-one has mentioned The Headless Horseman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Horseman). It's from a 19th Century source, admittedly, but it's one of the most awesome monsters of American invention (IMO) and would make an awesome Dragon to whatever sorcerer or elder god ends up being Washington's BBEG.

Bhu
2009-07-19, 03:12 AM
Anything that you think would make an interesting opponent (or ally) for the father of our country. NSFW is fine.

Indon: good ideas!

Most would be opponents. Here's a small sample:

Bigfoot: Sasquatch was a native american legend before cryptozoology. It would be found i nthe forests of Idaho, Washington, north California, Oregon, and British Columbia. Ranges from 6 to 12 feet tall. Ranges from shy and elusive to murderous man eater.

Momo: a 10' hairy humanoid in missouri or indiana. Mutilates or eats animals and children, and tries to kidnap humans. Smells very bad.

The Alkali Lake Monster: Lives in ALkali Lake Nebraska. Brown alligator like beast over 300' long. Smells so bad it kills any who encounter it (or if they survive they go mad).

The Bear Lake Serpent: Lives in Bear Lake Utah/Idaho. Scaly serpent 90' long with furry canine face. Can outrace horses.

Caddy: Lives in British Columbia coastal waters. 100' long sea serpent.

Champ: Lives in Lake Champlain between New York ad Canada. 40' long sea serpent with horse like head and humped back.

Flathead Lake Monster: Lives in Montana. 30' long serpent.

The Iliamna Lake Monsters: Giant Predatory fish living in Alaska. Up to 30' long.

There are also lake monsters in Manitoba (Manipogo), Okanagan Lake (Ogopogo), Lake Utopia (The Lake Utopia Monster), The White River (Whitey), Chesapeake Bay (Chessie), Columbia River (Colossal Claude), Lake Elizabeth, Lake Elsionre (Elsie), Muskrat Lake (Mussy), Lake Simcoe (igopogo), Swnglers Cove in Newfoundland (Maggot), Lake Memphremagog (Memphre, saurian as opposed to serpent), Lake Ontario (Metro Maggie, spreads disease), Monterey California, Lake Watherton (The Oogle Boogles, horned serpents), St. Johns river, Lake payette (Slimy Slim), Lake Tahoe, and Lake Walker.

basically hairy humanoids and apes and water monsters are common. I'll get to the supernatural stuff shortly.

Xondoure
2009-07-19, 07:33 AM
Coyote, and other animals should definitely be involved. Perhaps as humans who can transform into their namesake and are rather like gods. However you do it, keep in mind that animals are a big part of american indian mythology.

hanzo66
2009-07-20, 04:44 AM
Imagining scenarios of how Washington might have ended up with false teeth. I'm imagining the Final Boss of MadWorld, where both parties punch each other in the face in a Mano-A-Mano battle.

Also you could feature some scenes with him as a commander, developing the hit and run guerilla warfare that he'd use later on.

Bhu
2009-07-20, 04:54 AM
Big Owl: The enemy of the White Mountain Apache he is said to appear as a gigantic white owl with glowing eyes or as a sallow skinned giant with gresy black hair and a bowl for carrying his victims. An insatiable man eater he appears to be nearly indestructible, surviving attacks by his demigod half brother to destroy entire tribes. His gaze can mesmerize and paralyze humans, and he can appear in a variety of forms in some legends.

The Piasa Birds: The Piasa birds are 4' high birds with antlers, and vaguely human/leonine faces. They have very long tails ending in two sharp fins, and are ferocious devourers of men according to the Illini indians.

The Thunderbird: Size varies from 15' to blotting out the sun and plucking whales from the oceans, to being big enough that lakes form on their backs. Their wings sound like thunder and they have flashing eyes. Alternatively cannibalistic or peaceful depending o nteh tribe.

Nunyenunc: GIant bird living on only the tallest of mountians that eats men.

Achiyalabopa: Predatory bird with feathers sharp as knives that hunted the Pueblo Indians.

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-07-20, 06:43 AM
Coyote, and other animals should definitely be involved.

This. I´m pretty sure it´s in the Amercan Constution somewhere.

Lost Demiurge
2009-07-20, 09:15 AM
Here's a thought...

History remembers George Washington's wooden teeth as a fix for his own missing teeth.

History is wrong.

George Washington had his own teeth removed, and multiple sets of dentures made up for different situations... The normal wooden ones were just for show. Cold iron teeth for fae, silver teeth for werewolves, and a special, sharpened wooden set for those few occasions you just have to bite a vampire in the heart.

Yeah, he was THAT hardcore. :D

Bhu
2009-07-21, 05:19 AM
The Armouchiquois: 3' tall spirits living near the Great Lakes resembling stubby humanoids with shrunken heads and skeletal limbs. They can run at superhuman speeds and leap enormous distances, and hate the settlers with a passion.

The Cannibal Babe: A demon encountered in Montana, the Dakotas, and Nebraska, it appears to be a wailing infant. When an adult human picks it up to stop it crying it begins inhaling the flesh off its rescuers body.

Gougou: An aquatic carnivorous giantess living in the Isle of Miscou. She has black hair and is covered im green scales, with pointed ears, yellow eyes, fangs, claws, and huge fins on her shoulders. She has a belly pouch she stores victims in.

Quincunx
2009-07-21, 05:41 AM
Many of the Revolutionary War's "How did we win that?!?!?" battles involved aquatic crossings--the Americans being able to against unspeakable odds, the British incapable of them when circumstances were in their favor. Now, this may have been due to local knowledge vs. imported ignorance of the respective commanders, but wouldn't it be more interesting that a powerful spirit of water decided to favor the United States first and demand an impossible price afterwards? The multiple battles would accommodate a story arc, with the prologue of the British being hindered on the water at Lake Champlain, 1776, where he was not.

What French legendary creatures hitched a ride along with the finance and cannon that France sent to us, originally shackled to the cause of vexing Great Britain but freed as soon as one battle was won, due to a failure of the summoning clause? What demon squatted over Parliament and made them so obdurate against any measure of home rule in the last quarter of that century, or was that mere Masonic meddling?

TheSummoner
2009-07-21, 08:58 AM
Lets not forget Benedict Arnold.

The man was a hero... an unappreciated hero who was pushed over the edge by others taking credit for his accomplishments and betrayed the country that didn't appreciate his contributions and sacrifices.

He shouldn't be portrayed as a complete monster... one with understandable motivations even if they do go against those of the protagonist. Depending on time-frame, you could introduce him on the American side and set up his betrayal at a later date (who doesn't see that one coming? *grin*). I also think he should be made out to be a much larger threat than other enemy commanders...

Indon
2009-07-21, 09:21 AM
What French legendary creatures hitched a ride along with the finance and cannon that France sent to us, originally shackled to the cause of vexing Great Britain but freed as soon as one battle was won, due to a failure of the summoning clause?

That idea is genius.

The Goddess Liberty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_(goddess)), freshly incarnated and young and unsure of her power, gains experience and confidence fighting alongside the Americans for independence - and when they're done, she heads back to her homeland of France to employ her newfound might (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution).

Edit: You could also make her a US-French dual citizen.

Bhu
2009-07-22, 05:40 AM
The Nagumwasuck: Little people living in tribes off the coasts of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. They are emaciated, coverd in warts and blemishes, and their heads are grossly misshappen (often called hatchet faced). They have long pointed noses and beady black eyes. About 2' tall they are so thin they become invisible when they turn sideways. They taught the Indians most of their skills but became resentful of the white man who tried to kill them.

Two Faces: An enemy of the Sioux, Two Faces is a 12' tall giant with two faces on his distorted head. His ears are 10' long , and he keeps them tightly wrapped up. But when he finds prey he uses them as nets to catch it, and the ears then devour them. Has excellent sense of smell, is strictly nocturnal, and virtually indestructible. He cannot speak languages, and can transform humans into smaller versions of himself that dont have his powers, but are very striong and under his control. He can reform several years after being destroyed.

kpenguin
2009-07-22, 05:43 AM
Lets not forget Benedict Arnold.

The man was a hero... an unappreciated hero who was pushed over the edge by others taking credit for his accomplishments and betrayed the country that didn't appreciate his contributions and sacrifices.

He shouldn't be portrayed as a complete monster... one with understandable motivations even if they do go against those of the protagonist. Depending on time-frame, you could introduce him on the American side and set up his betrayal at a later date (who doesn't see that one coming? *grin*). I also think he should be made out to be a much larger threat than other enemy commanders...

One could explain his face-heel turn to stem from more... supernatural influences than simple pride.

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-22, 08:54 AM
One could explain his face-heel turn to stem from more... supernatural influences than simple pride.

He becomes a werewolf and goes over to Britain for help with his... condition.

Rappy
2009-07-22, 09:08 AM
Thunderbirds might be interesting. A giant raptor flapping its wings and spouting thunderous cries across the battlefield would be something to startle even the staunchest soldier.

British "immigrant" monsters might be interesting too. Expanding on Quincunx's water suggestion, imagine Her Majesty's Royal Navy employing water bogeys such as Peg Powler or Jenny Greenteeth to maraud the Colonial waters.

JabberwockySupafly
2009-07-22, 10:25 AM
I'm honestly shocked no-one has mentioned The Headless Horseman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headless_Horseman). It's from a 19th Century source, admittedly, but it's one of the most awesome monsters of American invention (IMO) and would make an awesome Dragon to whatever sorcerer or elder god ends up being Washington's BBEG.

I originally was going to, but my browser crashed trying to submit the post and I lost the post at 2Am and just couldn't be fussed to re-type it at that time.

Actually, to be specific, I was going to submit Dullahan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dullahan), which is the creature that the Legend of Sleepy Hollow was based off of. Most Irish or Nothern European folk creatures would work really well. The Unseelie Court would make a great Legion of Doom to use against Washington, seeing as a lot of their Faire Folk can pass as human and could probably have snuck across on various ships to explore the strange new world that their prey have decided to inhabit.

There's a vast lode of creatures to mine from European folklore, like Red Cap, Banshees, Kelpie, Fuaths, Hags, Basilisk, Cocatrice, Bogeymen, Bugbears, Ghouls, Nachzehrer and so many more. You could also have creatures coming up from South America into the colonies, or for some reason if Mr.Washington has to go into the Great Unknown of the West, he could run into some of them. There's an alright list of different folklore monsters here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monsters), many of which could easily face off against the mighty George Washington :)

Failing those, there's always Ogopogo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo).

Also, just wanted to say this sounds like a splendid idea and am in agreeance with others that when you have a finished product, notification on GiantITP would be appreciated :D

Blackjackg
2009-07-22, 10:35 AM
A lot of these (e.g., Ogopogo) were a lot further west than white settlers had gone by time of the American Revolution (Heck, Washington died four years before Lewis and Clark started their expedition). Of course, that's just history, and is automatically subservient to plot in a story like this (who says Washington actually died in 1799? Conspiracy!).

That being said, you could probably have some fun with the (supposedly true) story of the Windham Frog Fight (http://www.curbstone.org/index.cfm?webpage=102).

BRC
2009-07-22, 10:43 AM
Can I just say that Franklin Needs to be Washington's Q equivalent.
"Now listen George, this is a very fragile device that will allow you to lure the serpents to the surface. It was very difficult to make, so I want it back in pristine order"

TheSummoner
2009-07-22, 12:40 PM
In one battle, George Washington and Benedict Arnold are fighting side by side against hordes of British Werewolves. When the situation gets grim, Arnold sacrifices himself to save Washington (perhaps saying that Washington is the only hope for the revolution.

Later we realize Arnold wasn't torn to shreds, but rather turned into one of them. In human form, he retains all intelligence, control, etc that he had before. In wolf form, his strength and bloodlust are multipiled tenfold and he loses all control of himself. King George is the only one who can reverse it, so Arnold is forced to serve him in hopes of restoring himself.

Something like that?

Flame of Anor
2009-07-22, 12:44 PM
The Goddess Liberty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_(goddess)), freshly incarnated and young and unsure of her power, gains experience and confidence fighting alongside the Americans for independence - and when they're done, she heads back to her homeland of France to employ her newfound might (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution).

Ooh! George/Liberty/Martha love triangle!

TheSummoner
2009-07-22, 12:47 PM
Franklin went on alot of diplomatic trips... maybe he could escort her

Speaking of Franklin, maybe in the first battle between Washington and Arnold, they fight on equal levels, but then Arnold transforms, making him much more powerful than Washington. Franklin's intervention is the only thing that saves Washington (nothing more awesome than an old dude kicking ass!)

Turcano
2009-07-22, 11:04 PM
Oh come on, people. The obvious choice for Washington's supernatural nemesis is the vengeful spirits of cherry trees.

Rappy
2009-07-22, 11:12 PM
Oh come on, people. The obvious choice for Washington's supernatural nemesis is the vengeful spirits of cherry trees.
So...Washington vs. dryads? :smalltongue:

Piedmon_Sama
2009-07-23, 12:19 AM
Franklin should have perfected a rifle-sized version of Tesla's Death Ray (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Directed-energy_weapon).

Also include the Marquis of LaFayette (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_du_Motier,_marquis_de_Lafayette) as the team's expert cavalier/swordfighter, and Tadeusz Kosciuszko (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Kościuszko) as their expert sapper (give him a huge but primitive automatic drill and tons of explosives!)

The cool thing about including the latter two is you could have Robespierre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robespierre) and Catherine the Great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_II) as villains. And what villains they were XD

TheSummoner
2009-07-23, 12:26 AM
Folk tales tell us that when George Washington was young, he chopped down a cherry tree. Folk tales lie.

In truth, Washington's house was attacked by sentient cherry trees sent by King George to kill the prophecised champion of the American Revolution. When the trees attacked, the young Washington was with his father, Augustine Washington. Thinking quickly, Augustine pushed George into a nearby shed and battled the countless waves of trees. He fought valliantly, but fell. George, only 11 at the time, grabbed the only weapon he could, an axe, and battled the trees, whose numbers had been greatly thinned by his father. Miraculously, George managed to fight off the remaining trees. Unfortunatly, many escaped to report to King George...

Edit: Pehaps Franklin used the death ray to fend off Arnold during the first battle...

And Henry Knox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox) needs to be some sort of hulking man-mountain who seems impervious to damage.

Xondoure
2009-07-23, 12:35 AM
Folk tales tell us that when George Washington was young, he chopped down a cherry tree. Folk tales lie.

In truth, Washington's house was attacked by sentient cherry trees sent by King George to kill the prophecised champion of the American Revolution. When the trees attacked, the young Washington was with his father, Augustine Washington. Thinking quickly, Augustine pushed George into a nearby shed and battled the countless waves of trees. He fought valliantly, but fell. George, only 11 at the time, grabbed the only weapon he could, an axe, and battled the trees, whose numbers had been greatly thinned by his father. Miraculously, George managed to fight off the remaining trees. Unfortunatly, many escaped to report to King George...

Edit: Pehaps Franklin used the death ray to fend off Arnold during the first battle...

And Henry Knox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox) needs to be some sort of hulking man-mountain who seems impervious to damage.

There has got to be a way to get a Durkon reference in there somewhere. :smallamused:

horus42
2009-07-23, 12:40 AM
If I remember correctly, George III had porphyria, right? (Or whatever disease it is that manifests as vampire-like symptoms)

Maybe, he was actually a powerful vampire, intent on bringing the world under his eternal reign, until Washington dared to stand against him?

EDIT: Ha! Not a pixie anymore!

TheSummoner
2009-07-23, 12:40 AM
Heh... Durkon would've seen it coming, thats for sure.

I can just imagine Washington captured, about to be executed... The british soldiers aim at him and fire! Henry Knox steps in the path of the bullets, several hit him, but hes completly unharmed! The things just bounce off him! Adams and Jefferson jump the wall and begin fighting off the soldiers while Knox frees Washington. As the soldiers begin to regroup, the four make their escape.

Just imagine what the scenes with Adams and Jefferson would be like... Arguing as they battle side by side? contests to kill the most orcs British?

Bhu
2009-07-23, 04:33 AM
The Water Babies: Greatly feared spirits living in Nevada, Utah, California, Oregon, and Idaho. Only 18" tall they cant breathe water but can remain submerged for hours, and are much stronger swimmers than humans. They are very adept anglers, hunters, shamans, animal handlers, and herbalists. Disposition varies much like humans, but you can discern the evil ones as t hey are wrinkled, pale, and coated in moss and algae. Many know black magic.

Great Little People: Fairy like beings allied with the Iroquois. Men do not age while within their company.

Maymaygwayshi: TIny hairy humanoids living in the lakes of Central America known to the Ojibwa indians.

Chenoo: Clumsy, dumb, mute giants made of stone who fight with the Iroquois by throwing rocks or tree limbs. Can stay motionless for long periods of time, and are difficult to detect among rock formations. There are other Chenoo myths that describe a man eating monstrous being that used to be a man with a heart of ice (similar to the Wendigo).

Some of these are in my critter thread for 3.5

Human Paragon 3
2009-07-23, 08:56 AM
Hey Bhu, what's the name of your encyclopedia o' folk lore? I'm interested in picking up a copy for myself.

lisiecki
2009-07-23, 12:24 PM
Clearly, the British children (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-69414486881463942)

Washington
Washington
6 foot 8 weighs a ****ing ton
Opponents beware
Opponents beware
He’s coming
He’s coming
He’s coming
On a horse made of crystal he patrolled the land
With the mason ring and schnauzer with his perfect hands
Here comes George in control
Women dug his snuff and his gallant stroll
Sue me if I go to fast but the sons of his opponents wish he was their dad

He made love like an eagle falling out of the sky
Killed his sensei in a duel and he never said why
Washington
Washington
Twelve stories high made of radiation
The present beware

Got a wig for his wig got a brain for his heart
Ate opponents brains and invented cocaine
He once held the hand of one of his opponent’s wife’s hand in a jar of acid at a party

Bhu
2009-07-24, 05:29 AM
Hey Bhu, what's the name of your encyclopedia o' folk lore? I'm interested in picking up a copy for myself.

Actually I have several. But the two I'm peeking in right now are The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures

http://www.amazon.com/Element-Encyclopedia-Magical-Creatures-Fantastic/dp/140273543X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248431712&sr=1-1

, and The Field Guide to North American Monsters (which has myths, cryptids, ufology stuff, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-North-American-Monsters/dp/0609800175/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248431755&sr=1-1

Bhu
2009-07-24, 05:37 AM
Oh and here's a selection of mythology links. I didn't have time to separate out hte North American Indian ones from the others.

A Fairy Encyclopedia http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/4611/fairyenc.html
A History of Dragons http://www.biopark.org/dragonhistory.html
Aadizookaanag http://www.kstrom.net/isk/stories/myths.html
About Mythology http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/bl/bl_myth_index.htm
Adlet Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlet
Al http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_%28Armenian_folklore%29
All About Unicorns http://www.allaboutunicorns.com/
American Folklore http://www.americanfolklore.net/
Ancient Egypt: The Mythology http://www.egyptianmyths.net/
Ancient Egyptian Deities http://www.reshafim.org.il/ad/egypt/religion/osiris1.html
Ancient Egyptian Mythology http://www.egyptianculture.net/
Ancient Egyptian Religion http://www.aldokkan.com/religion/religion.htm
Ancient Finnish Myths http://www.finnishmyth.org/
Assyro-Babylonian Mythology http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/assyrbabyl-faq.html
At the Edge http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/index.htm
Atlas of Myths http://snow.prohosting.com/myths1/
Aztec Mythology http://www.cis.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1994/3/94.03.03.x.html
Beowulf http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/AnoBeow.html
Beowulf, again http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/beowulf/
Bouda WIki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouda
Buggane Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buggane
Canaanite/Ugaritic Mythology http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/canaanite-faq.html
Caribbean Mythology http://www.godslaidbare.com/pantheons/caribbean/A-Z-list.php
CeltNet http://www.celtnet.org.uk/
Celtic Literature Collective http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/index.html
Celtic Mythology http://www.interfaith.org/ancient/celtic/
Celtic Mythology and Lore http://www.celticgrounds.com/chapters/mytholsection/myth-start.htm
Celtic Studies Resources http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/
Celtic Twilight http://www.celtic-twilight.com/ireland/
ChinaVista: Chinese Myths and Fantasies http://www.chinavista.com/experience/myth/myth.html
ChinaVista: Deities Worshipped by Farmers http://www.chinavista.com/experience/joss1/deities.html
ChinaVista: Selected Chinese Myths and Fantasies http://www.chinavista.com/experience/story/story.html
Chinese Legends http://beifan.com/026topic/26legends.html
Chiricahua and Mescalero Apache Texts http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/apache/ChiMesc2.html
Choctaw Legends and Stories http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mboucher/mikebouchweb/choctaw/legends2.htm
Christine O' Keefe's Monster/Faery Page http://www.tartanplace.com/ftoc.html
Classical Myth Homepage http://web.uvic.ca/grs/bowman/myth/
Classical Myths and Legends http://oldweb.uwp.edu/academic/english/canary/gods.htm
Classical Myths: The Ancient Sources http://web.uvic.ca/grs/department_files/classical_myth/index.html
Cosmology of the Ancient Balts http://www.lithuanian.net/mitai/cosmos/baltai.htm
Dates in Irish Myth and Legend http://www.legendarytours.com/dates.html
Dave's Mythical Creature's and Places http://www.eaudrey.com/myth/
**** Caldwell's Greek Myths http://www.greecetravel.com/greekmyths/
Dragon Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon
Eddas and Sagas http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/asatru/free.html
Egyptian Legendary Creatures http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Egyptian_legendary_creatures
Egyptian Mythology Today http://www.thanasis.com/egypt/egypt.htm
Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature http://www-etcsl.orient.ox.ac.uk/catalogue/catalogue1.htm
Encantado Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encantado
Encyclopedia Mythica http://www.pantheon.org/
Encyclopedia of Dragons http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/01925/encyclo.html
Eoster http://www.cs.utk.edu/~mclennan/BA/JO-Eo.html
Epona.net http://www.epona.net/
FOlklore, Myth, and Legend http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/storfolk.html
Fearsome Critters Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_Critters
Folklore of the Orkney Islands http://www.orkneyjar.com/folklore/index.html
Fruit of the Nile http://www.fruitofthenile.com/
Gateways to Bablyon http://www.gatewaystobabylon.com/
Germanic Mythology http://users.dickinson.edu/~eddyb/mythology/Cover_page.html
Germanic Myths, Legends, and Sagas http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/mythlinks.html
Ghosts in Bengali Culture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosts_in_Bengali_culture
Godchecker http://www.godchecker.com/
Gods, Heroes, and Myths http://www.gods-heros-myth.com/
Greek Mythology http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/bdodge/scaffold/GG/greek_myth.html
Greek Mythology http://library.thinkquest.org/26264/student.htm
Greek Mythology http://www.messagenet.com/myths/
Greek Mythology http://www.greekmythology.com/
Greek Mythology Link beware popup http://www.maicar.com/GML/
Greek Mythology Today http://mythman.com/
Grimm's Teutonic Mythology http://www.northvegr.org/lore/grimmst/
Guardian's Egypt http://guardians.net/egypt/religion.htm
Hawaiian Legends http://www.nativehawaii.com/hawaiianlegends.html
Heraldry http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/1940/heraldry.html
Hindu Gods and Goddesses http://www.indian-heritage.org/gindex.html
Hittite/Hurrian Mythology http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/hittite-ref.html
Home of the Squirrel http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/1734/
Hungarian Myths and Legends http://users.cwnet.com/millenia/legend.htm
Indian Divinity http://www.webonautics.com/mythology/mythology.html
Indian Mythology http://www.indianmythology.com/
Internet Sacred Text Archive http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm
Inuit Mythology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_mythology
Irish Literature, Mythology, Folklore, and Drama http://www.luminarium.org/mythology/ireland/
IrishAbroad: Irish Mythology http://www.irishabroad.com/YourRoots/Mythology/
Japanese Myth http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~cycle/myrefE.HTML
Japanese Mythology http://www.interq.or.jp/www-user/fuushi/e-myth-a.htm
Jotun Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jotun
Kalevala http://www.helsinki.fi/kasv/nokol/kalevala.html
Kamat's Potpourri: Indian Mythology http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/mythology/
Korean Dragon Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_dragon
Lady Izabella's Vampiric Encyclopedia http://www.geocities.com/lady_izabell/abc.html
Legendary Creatures Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Legendary_creature_stubs
Legendary Creatures Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_creatures
Legendary Creatures in Japanese Myth beware popup http://www.tiosam.com/ingles/encyclopedia/enciclopedia.asp?title=List_of_legendary_creatures _in_Japanese_mythology
Legends from the Tombs http://www.geocities.com/vampiress_sonja/main.html
Legends of Guam http://ns.gov.gu/legends.html
Leszi Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leszi
Life in Ancient Egypt http://www.carnegiemnh.org/exhibits/egypt/index.htm
Lindworm Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm
Lithuanian Mythological Tales http://ausis.gf.vu.lt/eka/verbalf/mtcont.html
Lithuanian Mythology Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_mythology
Lithuanian Religion and Mythology http://ausis.gf.vu.lt/eka/mythology/relmyth.html
Little Glossary of Irish Mythology http://yesss.club.fr/Celts/f_celts.htm
Living Myths http://www.livingmyths.com/index.htm
Lugodoc's Guide to Celtic Mythology http://www.lugodoc.demon.co.uk/MYTH/MYTH01.HTM
Luxor http://www.geocities.com/Isis_Artemis_0/entrance.html
Manx Notes and Queries http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/fulltext/mnq1904/index.htm#contents
Medea's Lair http://www.geocities.com/medea19777/
Mitoloxia Asturiana beware popup http://www.geocities.com/mouguias/
Miwu http://absurdism.org/kemet/
MonoMyth http://www.monomyth.org/
Monsters and Fabulous Beasts From Ancient and Medieval Cultures http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/monster_list.html
Monstropedia http://www.monstropedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Museum of Mythology http://www.museumofmythology.com/
MythNET http://www.classicsunveiled.com/mythnet/html/index.html
Mythic Creatures http://www.geocities.com/z_mythica/
Mythical Creature A Day http://mythicalcreatureaday.blogspot.com/
Mything Links http://mythinglinks.org/home.html
Mythology, Legend, Folklore, and Ghosts http://www.teacheroz.com/myth-legend.htm
Mythome http://www.mythome.org/mythhome.htm
Myths and Legends http://home.comcast.net/~chris.s/myth.html
Myths and Myth Makers http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/FisMyth.html
Myths of Babylonia and Assyria http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16653
Mythweb Greek mythology http://www.mythweb.com/
Naga Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_%28mythology%29
Nagual Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahual
Names of Gods and Goddesses http://lowchensaustralia.com/names/gods.htm
Native American Legendary Creatures Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_legendary_creatures
Native American Legends http://www.legendsofamerica.com/NA-IndianMyths.html
Native American Legends, Myths, and Lore beware popup http://www.angelfire.com/ca/Indian/stories.html
Native American Lore Index http://www.ilhawaii.net/%7Estony/loreindx.html
Native American Myth Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_mythology
Native American Mythology Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Native_American_mythology
Native American Myths http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1998/2/98.02.02.x.html
Native American Myths and Monsters http://community.livejournal.com/nativemonster
Native American Myths of Creation http://www.crystalinks.com/nativeamcreation.html
Native American Tales and Songs http://members.cox.net/academia/naindex.html
Norse Fornnordisk Mytologi http://web.telia.com/~u85906673/asar/
Norse Myth WIki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norse_mythology
Norse Mythology http://www.godslaidbare.com/pantheons/norse/index.php
North American Mythology Stubs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:North_American_mythology_stubs
Occultopedia http://www.occultopedia.com/welcome.htm
Odin's Castle of Dreams and Legends http://www.odinscastle.org/odin3.html
Old Greek Stories http://oaks.nvg.org/old-greek-tales.html
Probert Encyclopedia of Mythology http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/mythology.htm
Puca Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca
Qadash Kinahnu http://www.geocities.com/soho/lofts/2938/
Quetzalcoatl: The Man, the Myth, the Legend http://weber.ucsd.edu/~anthclub/quetzalcoatl/quetzal.htm
Regional Folklore and Mythology http://www.pibburns.com/mythregi.htm
Roman Mythology http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8991/roman.html
Roman Mythology beware popups http://www.angelfire.com/geek/romanmyth/
Russian Folklore http://www.bama.ua.edu/~adrozd/rus252/folklorelinks.html
Sagnanet http://www.sagnanet.is/
Scandinavian Mythology and Folklore http://www.ststlocations.com/Archives/Scandinavian/
Sea Monster Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_monster
Seanachi http://www.seanachi.org/
Shroud Eater http://www.shroudeater.com/main.html
Sidhe Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%ADde
Slavic Mythology Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_mythology
Stenudd http://www.stenudd.com/myth/
Stories from Indian Myth for Kids http://www.indolink.com/Kidz/mythology.html
Stories of the Dreaming http://www.dreamtime.net.au/dreaming/index.htm
SurLaLune Fairy Tales Page http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/
TempleNet http://www.indiantemples.com/legends.html
Tengu Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengu
Teutonic Mythology http://www.boudicca.de/teut.htm
The Aberdeen Bestiary http://www.abdn.ac.uk/bestiary/
The Ancient Religion of the Finns http://finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=25814
The Best of Legends http://bestoflegends.org/index.html
The Dragon Bestiary http://bestiarium.net/index-e.html
The Dragon Stone http://www.polenth.com/
The Encyclopedia of Hotcak Mythology http://hotcakencyclopedia.com/
The Golden Bough http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3623
The Hindu Universe http://www.hindunet.org/god/
The Magic Web http://www.johnadcox.com/Mythology_and_Folklore.html
The Maya in Time http://www.jaguar-sun.com/gods.html
The Medieval Bestiary http://bestiary.ca/index.html
The Obakemono Project http://www.obakemono.com/introduction.php
The Popol Vuh http://www.jaguar-sun.com/popolvuh.html
The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2069
The Sacred Fire http://www.sacredfire.net/
The Vedic Age http://www.astronomy.pomona.edu/archeo/india/as-india.html
The World of Gwdihw http://www.gwdihw.com/
Theoi Project http://www.theoi.com/
Thinkquest: Greek Mythology http://library.thinkquest.org/C005321/tq/
Through the Eyes of Native Americans http://library.thinkquest.org/CR0215453/
Thunderbird Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbird_%28mythology%29
Timeless Myths http://www.timelessmyths.com/
Tir na nOg http://www.alia.ie/tirnanog/myth1.html
Tracing the Cliff God http://www.internetix.ofw.fi/tutkimus/muinaistaide/kalliojumala/e-kalliojumala/
Tuatha De Danaan Family Tree http://baharna.com/celtic/index.htm
UCAN Online http://www.ucan-online.org/legends.asp
UNRV: Roman Myth http://www.unrv.com/culture/mythology.php
Vampire Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire
Vampires http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/vampire/
Wendigo Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo
Werecat Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werecat
Werewolf Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf
Where Something Stands http://www.carleton.ca/gallery/Inuit/stories.htm
White Buffalo Calf Woman Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Buffalo_Calf_Woman
Women in Greek Myths http://www.paleothea.com/
World Myths and Legends in Art http://www.artsmia.org/world-myths/
World Vampire Myths beware popup http://enchanteddoorway.tripod.com/vamp/greece.html
Yellow Scents http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Labyrinth/8952/phoenix.html
Zmeu Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zmeu

Also peek at the critter thread in my sig and scroll down the first page. The monsters from myth that I have listed have some more links to mythology links.

And if you want Cryptozoology/paranormal stuff:

AARF http://www.trueseekers.org/
AIBR http://209.85.50.7/~skookum/
ARFRA http://www.arfra.org/
About Paranormal http://paranormal.about.com/
About UFO's/Aliens http://ufos.about.com/
About Weird Creatures and Monsters http://paranormal.about.com/od/weirdcreaturesmonsters/Weird_Creatures_and_Monsters.htm
Ahool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahool
Altered Dimensions http://www.altereddimensions.net/index.htm
American Monsters http://www.americanmonsters.com/home.php
Andy Colvins Moth Blog http://www.andycolvin.com/wordpress/
Anomalies http://anomalyinfo.com
Assorted Strangeness they aren't kidding http://www.mactonnies.com/strangeness.html
Australian Yowie Research http://www.yowiehunters.com/
BCSCC http://www.bcscc.ca/
Beast Watch UK http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.mullins/
Big Cat Monitors http://www.bigcatmonitors.co.uk/
Big Cats http://www.darksites.com/souls/goth/heartshowl/Bigcats.html
Big Cats UK http://www.scs.abelgratis.co.uk/bigcats2/index.html
Big Cats in Britain http://www.scottishbigcats.co.uk/
Bigfoot Forums http://www.bigfootforums.com/
Bigfoot Forums http://www.bigfootforums.net/
Bigfoot Research http://www.bigfootencounters.com/
Bigfoot Sasquatch FAQ http://home.nycap.rr.com/wwilliams/BigfootFAQ.html
Bigfoot Searcher http://www.geocities.com/Bigfootsearcher68/
Bigfoot in New York beware popups http://www.angelfire.com/ny4/nyout/nybf.html
Bigfoot: Fact or Fantasy http://www.rfthomas.clara.net/bigfoot.html
Bigfot Central http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bigfootcentral/
Bizarre Creatures http://www.tarotplanet.com/Mekka/articles/BizzareCreatures.htm
Bluenorth Research http://www.bluenorth.com/
Boudillion http://www.boudillion.com/
British Big Cats Society http://www.britishbigcats.org/
British Bigfoot Research beware popups http://british-bigfoot.tripod.com/
CFZ http://www.cfz.org.uk/
CHRP beware popup http://www.geocities.com/cascadehominid/cascade1.html
CREATURE http://www.geocities.com/keithzilla8375/
CSICOP http://www.csicop.org/
Cameron's Cryptozoology Page http://www.geocities.com/capedrevenger/
Casa de Chupacabra beware popups http://incorporateds.faithweb.com/chupacab.htm
Charles WIlliam Beebe http://hometown.aol.com/chines6930/mw1/beebe1.htm
Charles William Beebe Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_William_Beebe
Coast to Coast AM with George Noory http://www.coasttocoastam.com/
Creature Chronicles http://home.cinci.rr.com/kd8afh/
Cryptid Wiki http://tinwiki.org/wiki/Cryptid
Crypto http://www.geocities.com/cheinselman/
Crypto Bipedal Primatology http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dtrapp/bigfoot.htm
Crypto Safari http://www.cryptosafari.com/
Crypto Squared http://cryptosquared.tripod.com/
Crypto-Blog http://crypto-blog.blogspot.com/
Cryptomundo http://www.cryptomundo.com/index.php
Cryptozoological Realms http://www.cryptozoologicalrealms.com/
Cryptozoology beware popup http://kodos86.tripod.com/
Cryptozoology http://www.sniggle.net/cryptozoo.php
Cryptozoology Web Ring http://b.webring.com/hub?ring=cryptoring
Cryptozoology Web page http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cryptology/
Cryptozoology Wiki note that many of the creatures listed here belong under myth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Cryptozoology/Articles
Cryptozoology.com http://www.cryptozoology.com/
Cryptozoology: A Critical Approach http://www.geocities.com/capedrevenger/index.html
Dale Cozort's Cryptozoology Page http://members.aol.com/dalecoz/dale3.htm
Dan's Skunk Ape Page http://www.geocities.com/sutek316/
Devil Monkeys http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/DevilMonkeys/
Directory of the Strange and Unusual http://www.1netcentral.com/strange-weird.html
EOBIC http://www.angelfire.com/oh/ohiobigfoot/home.html
Enigma Cryptozoo http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/index.htm
Evidence of the Giant Birds firefox only, beware popup http://sped2work.tripod.com/evidence.html
Fantastic Fish of the Middle Ages http://www.godecookery.com/ffissh/ffissh.htm
Farshores CryptoCorner http://farshores.org/
Flatwoods Monster http://www.flatwoodsmonster.com/
Florida Skunk Ape http://www.floridaskunkape.com/
Fortean Times http://www.forteantimes.com/
FromCryptidMy http://www.fromcryptidmy.blogspot.com/
GCBRO http://www.gcbro.com/
GHOULI http://www.ghouli.com/
GUST http://www.cryptozoology.st/
Genesis Park http://www.genesispark.org/genpark/park/park.htm
Harvest Fields http://www.harvestfields.ca/
Honey Island Swamp Monster firefox only http://jmichaelms.tripod.com/HIS/
How Stuff Works: Bigfoot http://www.howstuffworks.com/bigfoot.htm
IFRS BEWARE POPUPS, firefox only http://forteansociety.tripod.com/
International Bigfoot Society http://www.internationalbigfootsociety.com/
J Vaughn's Bigfoot Page http://www.geocities.com/j_vaughn/bigfoot.html
Jersey Devil Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil
Joe's Cryptozoology pages beware popups http://dinojoe.8m.com/crypto/crypto1.html
Karl Shuker http://members.aol.com/karlshuker/
Kentucky Bigfoot http://www.kentuckybigfoot.com/
Kentucky Cryptids beware popups http://www.geocities.com/cryptidwrangler/index.html
Lake Norman Monster http://www.lakenormanmonster.com/home.shtml
Lake Norman Monster http://www.lakenormanmonster.com/
Lake and River Monsters http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/cryptodominion/lakebeasts.html
Legend of Nessie http://www.nessie.co.uk/
Leut's jersey Devil Page http://users.adelphia.net/~leuter/
List of Cryptids http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptids
Loch Murray Monster http://www.geocities.com/LochMurray/
Loch Ness Information Site http://www.loch-ness.org/
Loch Ness Investigation http://www.lochnessinvestigation.org/
MAAR http://www.maar.us/
MARCA beware popup http://www.webace.com.au/~pwest/marca/
Mad River Sasquatch Study http://members.tripod.com/~shadows-end0/MRSS.html
Matthew Bille http://hometown.aol.com/mattwriter/
Metareligion: Cryptozoology beware popup http://www.meta-religion.com/Paranormale/cryptozoology_section.htm
Michigan Bigfoot Information Center http://www.michiganbigfoot.org/
Minnesota Bigfoot http://www.angelfire.com/mn2/mnbf/
Mokole-mbembe http://www.mokelembembe.com/
Monster Tracker beware popup http://www.monstertracker.com/index.cfm
Mothman Lives http://www.mothmanlives.com/
Mothman Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothman
Museum of Unnatural Mystery do not accept the crescendo update popup, click no http://unmuseum.mus.pa.us/
Mysterious Britain http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/index.html
Mysterious Places http://www.mysteriousplaces.com/index2.html
Mysterious World Digest http://www.mysteriousworld.com/Journal/
Mysteriousreality.com http://www.mysteriousreality.com/myst.asp
MysteryMag http://www.mysterymag.com/whatsnew/index.php
NORKA of Akron http://www.geocities.com/saqatchr/
Nessie's Grotto beware popup http://www.simegen.com/writers/nessie/
Nguoi Rung http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~vern/wildman.html
North America's Great Ape http://www.bigfootbiologist.org/
North Louisiana Bigfoot http://www.geocities.com/northlabigfoot/index.html
Northwest Bigfoot Research Organization http://www.geocities.com/northwestbigfoot/
Occultopedia http://www.occultopedia.com
Official Loch Ness Monster Site http://www.lochness.co.uk/
Ohio Bigfoot Research Team http://www.geocities.com/squatch_45694/index123.html
Ohio/Pennsylvania Bigfoot Research Group firefox only http://members.tripod.com/sasquatchsearch/
Online Lake Monster Directory scroll down, BEWARE POPUPS http://dive.to/lakemonsters
Operation Appalachia http://www.angelfire.com/oh/ohiobigfoot/OA.html
Oregon Bigfoot http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/
Paranormal News http://www.paranormalnews.com/
Parascope.com http://www.parascope.com/
Paraview http://www.paraview.com/index.htm
Pennsylvania Bigfoot Society http://pabigfootsociety.com/
Pib's Home on the Web http://www.pibburns.com/
Pterosaurs Still Living http://www.laattorneyvideo.com/nonlegal/pterosaurs/
Rock Mountain Bigfoot Project http://geocities.com/ivb4/
Sasquatch Information Society http://www.bigfootinfo.org/
Sasquatch Research Center http://www.cactusventures.com/saswatch.htm
Shadowlands http://theshadowlands.net/home1.htm
Strange Ark http://www.strangeark.com/
Strange Links http://wtv-zone.com/feast/html/html2/strange/strangdlinx.html
Strange Links 3 doesn't appear to be a strange links 2 http://wtv-zone.com/feast/html/html2/strange/strangelynx3.html
Strangemag.com http://www.strangemag.com/
Study Group of Subhuman Primates http://www.stgr-primates.de/index.html
Surreal Seal Campaign http://www.cornes1.fsnet.co.uk/
Taking A Hard Look At Cryptozoology http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~bz050/HomePage.cryptoz.html
Tangled Forest http://www.tangledforest.com/
Texas Bigfoot http://texasbigfoot.net/
Texas Bigfoot Research Center http://www.texasbigfoot.com/
The Anomalist http://www.anomalist.com/
The Beast of Gevaudan http://labete.7hunters.net/
The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization http://www.bfro.net/
The Bigfoot Recordings http://www.bigfootsounds.com/
The Book of Thoth http://www.book-of-thoth.com/thebook/index.php/Main_Page
The Cryptid Zoo http://www.newanimal.org/
The CryptoWeb beware popups, also at http://come.to/the_cryptoweb http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/siren/552/
The Cryptodominion http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/cryptodominion/frames.html
The Cryptozoo http://cryptozoo.monstrous.com/
The Cryptozoologist http://www.lorencoleman.com/
The Devil Hunters http://njdevilhunters.com/
The Honey Island Swamp Monster http://www.angelfire.com/la2/SwampMonster/
The Legend of One Eye http://www.geocities.com/legendary_spider_man/GRANBURY.HTM
The Migo of Bhutan http://www.pbs.org/edens/bhutan/a_migo.htm
The Mjoes Orm http://www.mjoesormen.no/english.htm
The Mohawk Reporter http://groups.msn.com/TheMohawkReporter/
The Monster of Weatherford Texas http://www.geocities.com/legendary_spider_man/WEATHERFORD.HTM
The Mothman http://www.themothman.info/
The New Jersey Bigfoot Reporting Center http://strange.myeyez.net/bigfootnj/
The Supernatural Zone http://www.qsl.net/w5www/ufo.htm
Thunderbird Site List http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/bodhidharma/giantbirds.html
Trunko http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunko
Twilit Grotto http://www.esotericarchives.com/
UFO Wisconsin What's with Wisconsin anyway? I find more weird sites about it than any other state. http://www.ufowisconsin.com/
Unexplained http://istina.rin.ru/eng/ufo/
Unexplained America http://www.prairieghosts.com/unex_america.html
Unexplained Mysteries http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?act=idx
Unsolved Mysteries beware popup http://www.unsolvedmysteries.com/
Utah Creatures http://www.aliendave.com/UUFOH_Creatures.html
Virginia Bigfoot Research http://www.virginiabigfootresearch.org/
Virtual Institute of Cryptozoology http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cryptozoo/welcome.htm
WCSRO http://www.freewebs.com/casr/
WSSSG http://www.wsssg.net/
Weird New Jersey http://www.weirdnj.com/
Weird Wisconsin http://www.weird-wi.com/
Weird Wisconsin http://groups.yahoo.com/group/weirdwi/
West Coast Sasquatch Research http://www.westcoast-sasquatch.com/
West Virginia's True Ghost Stories http://www.wvghosts.com/index.php
Winnipeg River Sasquatch Association http://wriversasquatchassoc.net/
World Mysteries.com http://www.world-mysteries.com/index.html
Wyrdology http://www.wyrdology.com/index.html

KjeldorMage
2009-07-24, 06:05 AM
If Washington is a Freemason how about integrating how the Freemasons fell out of favor with the British crown and sided with the industrious Americans.

As such the British crown has called upon the

LIZARD PEOPLE! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke)

So the lizard people in conjunction with the brotherhood of vampires are hired for assassinations and dark rituals to take out important Americans.

Also you can integrate West African storytelling into it. Let's say he is heading south and some slaves suggest that Ananzi, the trickster spider, has been helping the British by sabotaging cargo shipments for the Americans.

rewinn
2009-07-27, 04:04 PM

John Goffe, "The Angel of Hadley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Hadley)", might intervene against the Crown forces at a key moment. He was, after all, never known to have actually died; he just disappeared and came back when needed.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-27, 04:33 PM
Perhaps throw in King Arthur as some sort of Evil British God that George worships. Washington must battle George and the newly-resurrected Merlin in order to stave off the return of the Once and Future King!

The Demented One
2009-07-27, 04:43 PM
British velociraptors. (http://mythpunk.blogspot.com/)

BRC
2009-07-27, 04:48 PM
Not "Against" Washington, but I could imagine a council made up of the ghosts of various Enlightenment Philosophers. Call it "The Great Salon". They spend an eternity debating with each other. If you can present them with something interesting enough to get their attention, they will provide sage advice.

horus42
2009-07-28, 10:20 PM
British velociraptors. (http://mythpunk.blogspot.com/)

:smalleek:

Did you just make a cross-over between American history and Exalted???

F**king awesome. :smallamused:

Bhu
2009-07-29, 04:26 AM
A few links for African myths

http://amedja.tripod.com/legends.html

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/african-mythology.php

http://www.mythome.org/Africa.html

http://www.gateway-africa.com/stories/

http://www.a-gallery.de/docs/mythology.htm

http://www.cs.williams.edu/~lindsey/myths/myths_14.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=sePqpn42PkUC&dq=african+myths&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=amupaBSC7E&sig=m8mQncRmiuUatNryzMRk28s0SmA&hl=en&ei=-BVwSrPYJJXKtgeu4639DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6

http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/A-Am/African-Mythology.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=GdAe59R_dXsC&dq=african+myths&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=lY5h_Fpi_v&sig=4f6egwRQK1YsGYj9oxB_DpWBgcc&hl=en&ei=-BVwSrPYJJXKtgeu4639DQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

http://www.geocities.com/africanwriters/Myths.html

Zencao
2009-07-29, 07:03 AM
Time traveling zombie Margret Thatcher.

...Who's also a robot!

Coidzor
2009-07-31, 02:36 AM
The Myth of George Washington.

That's right.

This guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foqOtlrPCN4) (Not Safe For Children or places of Worship, Work, or Woopie)

Bhu
2009-07-31, 06:37 AM
The Deer Woman: In Poncan myth the Deer Woman is a siren who comes to celebrations and leads a male hunter off into the woods alone where he notices her deer hooves. Her hypnotic spell then broken she brutally kicks him to death.

The Beaver Women: Seductresses from Blackfoot myth, the Beaver Women never leave the water so humans don't realize their lower extremities and backs are covered in reddish beaver fur. They murder women, kidnap children, and the men they seduce are never seen again.

The Serpent Woman: A 100' long woman whose lower half is a serpents coils. She lives in the Great Lakes according to the Iroquois, and any man seeing her is drawn to her, and eventually becomes a serpent monster (and her lover). She has claws and fangs, and is covered in silver scales. She kidnaps men in revenge for the murder of her human lover.

Pugwis: Gill men who menace the Kwakiutl tribe. Think creature from the black lagoon if it were a tibe instead of an individual.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-07-31, 07:51 AM
Perhaps throw in King Arthur as some sort of Evil British God that George worships. Washington must battle George and the newly-resurrected Merlin in order to stave off the return of the Once and Future King!I think this would be a mistake. For one thing it accuses Washington of being the greatest threat to British Liberty of all time. It also accuses the American revolution of being one of the world's darkest hours. In light of what came later I think that would be a huge error and an insult to both Britian and George Washington.

I would investigate Lord North (the Prime Minister at the time, why the obsession with King George in these answers?) and the politicians in the UK (of whom there where several, more than one of which later became Prime Minsiter) who took the american view.

puppyavenger
2009-07-31, 05:58 PM
first of all, congratulations, this s an awesome idea:smallbiggrin:

anyway, a few insanely off-the-wall idea's

1. Quetzalcoatl returns 200 years after Cortez to find his worshipers rather...sparse. He's forced to flee North by the Jesuit secret agents mentioned earlier in the thread.

2. the mention of British Werewolves gave me the idea of perhaps the British being aided by a "Wolfe" spirit* (I swear that is the worst pun I've ever made).

That would be referring to Major General James Wolfe, fun fact, (according to wiki) "There was a story that when someone in the British Court branded the young Brigadier mad, King George II retorted, "Mad, is he? Then I hope he will bite some of my other generals.""

pendell
2009-08-04, 08:02 AM
Hmm ... this is a little old thread, but wanted to throw in:

1) Salem witches. Toss of the coin which side they're on. Maybe have 'em on Washington's side opposing the Pendle witches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendle_witches) on the British side.

2) Anything from New England. Nathaniel Hawthorne, Lovecraft, and Poe (?) are all from that neck of the woods. Deeply disturbing stuff. Ravens and Hester Prynne and her demon-child Pearl.

3) Don't leave out Celtic goodness! There's a lot of Scots/Irish in the South, and presumably they would have access to the Morrigan and that crew in her time line ... and there were also some marching for the King as well...

Respectfully,

Brian Pendell

Bhu
2009-08-05, 04:14 AM
Baykok: An evil spirit near the Great Lakes who focuses his attention on hunters and warriors. He appears as a skeleton wrapped in transparent skin wielding a club and a bow which fires invisible arrows that render oponents unconscious. Once they're out, he opens them up with a silver knife, eats their liver and magically seals the wound after replacing the liver with a stone. The victim eventually dies.

DrakebloodIV
2009-08-05, 10:53 AM
Zombies. Reanimated by a Haitian. Because George Washington going at zombies with the axe he used to chop down the cherry tree is just epic.

Bhu
2009-08-06, 05:15 AM
Zombies. Reanimated by a Haitian. Because George Washington going at zombies with the axe he used to chop down the cherry tree is just epic.

I thought if you wanted to put down Haitian zombies you had to hold them down, pour salt in their mouth and sew their lips shut?

Randel
2009-08-07, 01:20 PM
One idea for his weapon:

George washington had that story about how he cut down a cherry tree as a child and told his father what he did. Maybe he had an enchanted axe that only accepts an honest person as its weilder?

Or a coven of witches used magic to put a curse on a cherry tree and he had to cut it down to keep people from eating the fruit.

The Demented One
2009-08-07, 05:09 PM
One idea for his weapon:

George washington had that story about how he cut down a cherry tree as a child and told his father what he did. Maybe he had an enchanted axe that only accepts an honest person as its weilder?

Or a coven of witches used magic to put a curse on a cherry tree and he had to cut it down to keep people from eating the fruit.
Or else... (http://imago.hitherby.com/?p=267)

Bhu
2009-08-09, 05:53 AM
A few more links on traditional african religion and myth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Africa#Traditional_religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_mythology

http://www.afrikaworld.net/afrel/

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/index.htm

http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/africa/religion/african-traditional-religion.html