PDA

View Full Version : Creating a magic item

AdInfinitum
2005-08-29, 01:43 AM
I'm still relatively new to the creation of magic items via the DMG's rules. So I thought I might put up my notes for an item and ask people to skewer my math, my reading of the rules, and various other failings. Experience is the best way to learn...

SRD entry for pricing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues)

Lying Eyes
Lenses with permanent Glibness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glibness.htm) and Mind Blank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm) always active.

Mindblank = 8 (spell level) * 15 (min caster level) * 2,000 (Base cost) * .5 (normally 24 hour duration) = 120,000

Glibness = 3 (Spell level) * 7 (min caster level for bard) * 2,000 (Base cost) * 1.5 (normally 10 min/lvl duration) = 63,000

Combining the two is 120,000 + 63,000 - 15,750 (75% of the second, similar ability) = 167,250.

It would (usually) have to be created sequentially by two seperate builders, but that works...correct?

Does that check out? And the thing that glibness gives the saving throw for, that's prevented by Mind Blank anyway, right?

Abd al-Azrad
2005-08-29, 01:52 AM
Mind Blank needs only be cast 1/day. 8*15*2000/5= 48000.
And how is Glibness a similar ability to Mind Blank? I mean, they can both be used to similar effect, but I think they mean for stuff like, +1 to two seperate saving throws, or +2 to two skills, rather than two different spells of different schools, cast by different people.

Sacrath
2005-08-29, 03:06 AM
You can't permanent Glibness, just like you can't permanent True Strike, you have to pay for the skill increases seperately at a cost of (Skill bonus squared) x100. So for +30 to bluff requires 90,000 gp. Mindblank is not similar, so you have to multiply the higher cost by 2, making the total cost (240,000 + 90,000) 330,000 gp. Goggles are not a prefered slot for either effect therfore uping the cost by another x1.5. Total cost bieng 495,000 gp. To create, the cost is 247,500 gp and 19,800 exp.

AdInfinitum
2005-08-29, 08:46 AM
Abd al-Azrad: Thanks for the clarification on the abilities. I thought that since the spells protected against the same type of divination, they would be similar...but those bonuses make sense.

Sacrath: True strike has to be a different case; unlike glibness, it's duration is both too short to have a price and expended, which would make permanency rather foolish. But if your point is otherwise correct, what does that make of something like the Amulet of Mighty Fists, which uses Greater Magic Fang?

And according to the SRD, your calculation on multiple different abilities is wrong:

Multiple different abilities Multiply lower item cost by 1.5

For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

Sacrath
2005-08-29, 12:01 PM
Not that I can tell, I am using 3.5 so that could be the problem. In my DMG (which is right here by my mousepad) there is an entry for:

Multiple different abilities: Multiply Higher cost by 2
and for uncustomary space limitation (Bluff (skill) has an afinity for bracers, cloak or vest slots while mindblank would be a helm affinity so either way, unless you made an amulet which has pretty much all affinities)

Uncustomary Space Limitation: Multiply Entire Cost by 1.5

Staffs are the only thing that I can think of that have a discount on aditional effects.

On the Magic Fang ability, it costs the same as enchanting a weapon, but it requires the Magic Fang spell to make it.

AdInfinitum
2005-08-29, 12:10 PM
Oh, that's why!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a

That's the errata for the DMG 3.5. They changed it.

Sacrath
2005-08-29, 01:41 PM
;D Yay I am not crazy!

AdInfinitum
2005-08-30, 06:32 PM
Why would [i]vests have an affinity for bluff, when eyes don't?! It's a cliche, but also true, that eyes are the window to the soul - ANY actor can tell you that. The eyes are where belief is measured, and where it can be most warped. Meanwhile, vests, which are almost always going to be hidden and drowned by robes and armor, can make you a friggin Mr. Ripley.[/iD20r]

Wih
2005-08-30, 07:49 PM
You can't permanent Glibness, just like you can't permanent True Strike, you have to pay for the skill increases seperately at a cost of (Skill bonus squared) x100. So for +30 to bluff requires 90,000 gp. Mindblank is not similar, so you have to multiply the higher cost by 2, making the total cost (240,000 + 90,000) 330,000 gp. Goggles are not a prefered slot for either effect therfore uping the cost by another x1.5. Total cost bieng 495,000 gp. To create, the cost is 247,500 gp and 19,800 exp.

You need to remember three things:
Firstly, Glibness only works for lying/fast-talking. Not for any other use of bluff.
Glibness also makes it near impossible for magical means to discern your lies; magical means have to beat a CL check by 15+your CL.
There is also a potion of glibness (just not in the SRD) which was based off the cost of a bard using the standard pricing with Brew Potion.

I think the last point proves that Glibness should not be calculated in the same way True Strike is. Even if you decide to, you need to remember to factor in that Glibness only works for 1 out of the 4+ uses for bluff (can you say Big Discount?) and it also gives you a CL check to discern lies (which is covered by mind blank, so in this case costs nothing).

Jotoco
2005-08-30, 08:04 PM
Rule zero anyone?
Well, if you have a point to make it in the lenses, make it!
Be not afraid of breaking the rules. Although Mind Blank will not go very well in the lenses...

And it's overpriced as it is now.

Wih has a point over there in the being only usable in some situations