PDA

View Full Version : My book is missing pages...

Eon
2009-07-19, 05:19 PM
Quite awhile ago we found out me and my brother's copy of Star Wars Republic Commando Triple Zero was missing pages 308-341. In there place were pages 85-116. Has anyone had/heard of these problems. We never got around to returning it for some reason and I'm guessing now is too late...:smallfrown:

Jimor
2009-07-19, 05:35 PM
I worked in a bookstore for a while, and while that's rare, it happens enough that we'd swap it out for you without too much trouble. It's a signature swap.

Books are printed in large sheets with the pages laid out in a checkerboard pattern. When you fold this sheet in half so many times and trim 3 edges, you end up with a mini book, a "signature", of usually 16 or 32 page, which is then bound with the other signatures to make the full book.

Once in a great while these get put into place out of order, so you get a block of different pages than what's supposed to be there. Once I even saw pages from a completely different book! Fortunately, this doesn't mean the whole print run is bad, it just happened to those 2 books out of thousands in the run.

Take it back to the store and see if they'll swap for a new one, the publishers allow them to send back defective copies for full credit. If not, the publisher themselves are likely to help you out, contact info is usually in the front cover or on their web page.

Eon
2009-07-19, 07:47 PM
well... considering it was a year or so ago i really don't remember the store >.<

Jimor
2009-07-19, 08:40 PM
Then contact the publisher.

From their FAQ (http://www.randomhouse.com/about/faq/index.php?ToDo=view&questId=12&catId=1):

There is a typographic or printing problem with a Random House book I purchased.

Please contact our customer service department at this address: customerservice@randomhouse.com and include the book ISBN and title in the email.

---

It's very likely they'll send you a fresh copy and not bother making you send yours back. Like I said, this is just common enough where anybody in the book business understands what went wrong. :smallsmile:

Berserk Monk
2009-07-21, 11:02 AM
Quite awhile ago we found out me and my brother's copy of Star Wars Republic Commando Triple Zero was missing pages 308-341. In there place were pages 85-116. Has anyone had/heard of these problems. We never got around to returning it for some reason and I'm guessing now is too late...:smallfrown:

Maybe pages 308-341 are a flashback to pages 85-116.

Szilard
2009-07-21, 01:01 PM
I know the feeling. My collection of Ray Bradbury stories is missing pages 48 to 85.

Zencao
2009-07-21, 04:49 PM
Maybe pages 308-341 are a flashback to pages 85-116.

Time Paradox!

mangosta71
2009-07-21, 05:21 PM
This happened to me with a copy of To Green Angel Tower, Part 2. I just went to a used book store and got another copy for a dollar.

Eldpollard
2009-07-21, 06:08 PM
This happened to my at the library where I work. Rather odd indeed. Luckily the book had only been taken out once in a year so no-one seemed too perturbed.

Telonius
2009-07-22, 08:14 AM
You can probably use this to your advantage. It's a Star Wars book. Therefore, almost by definition, somebody is probably looking to collect it. If nobody else has one, you have yourself a rare collectible. Sell it, and use the proceeds to buy a new book (including all pages).