PDA

View Full Version : a slight problem with Ubuntu

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 08:27 PM
I'm trying to synch music to my device but I can't find a synch option on my music apps. can somebody help me?

Lupy
2009-07-19, 10:02 PM
Does this belong in Media discussions?

I would go post his on the Ubuntu forums personally, and then double check to be sure my music player plays nicely with Linux.

valadil
2009-07-19, 10:32 PM
What device do you use? I believe the major desktop audio players (Rhythmbox, Banshee, Amarok) can all sync with iPods, but I haven't tried it myself. GTKPod is the only one I have tried and it works reasonably well. A Zune is unlikely to work unless you have older firmware (every time someone manages to get Zune working on linux, MS releases updates with added "security" that prevents linux from syncing).

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 11:33 PM
a sansa sandisk Fuze is my MP3. I'd heard bad things about Ipods and no good ones an couldn't afford a zune. the problem though is that there doesn't seem to be an option for synching and I have rythmbox.

valadil
2009-07-19, 11:39 PM
I've heard the Sansa get recommended in some linux circles so you may be in luck, although I don't see anything for it in apt. You're probably better off checking in a linux specific forum (http://ubuntuforums.org).

Can you try something for me though (and this would probably good to include if you write a post on a linux forum)? Open a terminal. Plug in the Sansa. Type 'dmesg | tail -n 10'. Paste that output here (or in a linux forum). dmesg is a program that shows system level events. Plugging in a USB device usually gets a line or two. Sometimes the device will identify itself. These are useful things to know. The pipe character "|" is passing the output of dmesg into a program called tail, which is used to print a number of lines from the end of a file or another program. We're setting the number to 10 so that you only have to copy and paste the relevant lines, instead of getting several hundred lines that will probably look like gibberish.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-19, 11:47 PM
I've heard the Sansa get recommended in some linux circles so you may be in luck, although I don't see anything for it in apt. You're probably better off checking in a linux specific forum (http://ubuntuforums.org).

Can you try something for me though (and this would probably good to include if you write a post on a linux forum)? Open a terminal. Plug in the Sansa. Type 'dmesg | tail -n 10'. Paste that output here (or in a linux forum). dmesg is a program that shows system level events. Plugging in a USB device usually gets a line or two. Sometimes the device will identify itself. These are useful things to know. The pipe character "|" is passing the output of dmesg into a program called tail, which is used to print a number of lines from the end of a file or another program. We're setting the number to 10 so that you only have to copy and paste the relevant lines, instead of getting several hundred lines that will probably look like gibberish.

sorry I'm extremely nooby when it comes to computers.:smallsigh: what's a terminal exactly? the part where you plug in the usb cord?

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-20, 12:45 AM
sorry I'm extremely nooby when it comes to computers.:smallsigh: what's a terminal exactly? the part where you plug in the usb cord?
Skipping the technical details, Terminal's a program. If I remember correctly, you'll find it in Applications, and then Accessories from there on out. It'll bring up a box that says something along the lines of the date, and then it'll have your computer's name and user, followed by a $. You then type stuff, in this case you want to type (or copy and paste):
dmesg | tail -n 10

If you want the details of Terminal, you can read up a bit here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=714338). It certainly isn't required reading, and all you need to know for the tech support process is how to copy and paste things into Terminal, but if you want to go down a rabbit hole, well, it's quite a comfortable one to start with.

I will also support the notion that you might get better support searching and asking on UbuntuForums. They know their stuff, and are fairly used to newbies coming in and politely asking for help getting things to work.

Lupy
2009-07-20, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the guys over at Ubuntu have endless patience. Trust me on this. :smallredface:

Would you mind linking to the thread over there? I'm curious to see what they tell you.