PDA

View Full Version : G-Force: Hideously Bad or Genuinely Funny?

Lord Loss
2009-07-20, 05:38 AM
Now, some of the people I know think it'll be amazing (I'm still trying to get over Alvin and the chipmunks) or, like me, are dreading it. So... your opinion?

G-Force Good or Evil Bad

I think it'll be Alvin and the Chipmunks + Get smart + National Treasure = G-Force = WTF?!?!?

Why? because, when people manage to make the previews look horrible, well...

Hunter Noventa
2009-07-20, 05:50 AM
I have a negative desire to see this movie. Meaning I will take measures to avoid being exposed to anything relating to it after seeing a couple of previews for it. It looks that bad.

Lord Loss
2009-07-20, 09:02 AM
Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a problem. This girl I like wants to see it. Has hinted she wants to c it with me. I'm obviously going but it'll be BAD!

bosssmiley
2009-07-20, 09:40 AM
Unfortunately I'm at a bit of a problem. This girl I like wants to see it. Has hinted she wants to c it with me. I'm obviously going but it'll be BAD!

Embrace the terrible (also the girl you're going with). Learn to love it for the sheer dreadfulness. Revel in the banality and absurdity of it, glorying in the squalor like a hog in a wallow. Laugh long and loud and hard at just how terribly, terribly wrong they have it.

(it's how I cope with any instance of modern Hollywood abusing the TV shows of my childhood)

And remember that G-Force in its own right was a MacAkred hack job (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceNinjaTeamGatchaman). Megas XLR's S-Force episodes redeemed it though. :smallamused:

Phase
2009-07-20, 10:01 AM
Imagine, Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow T. Robot there alongside you. It will help.

Ah, Megas XLR, is there nothing you can't warp onto pure awesome?

Eon
2009-07-20, 10:07 AM
I have guinea pigs so even at 13 I'm pretty determined to go...

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 12:02 PM
It's basically a Tracey Jordon movie.

Jut imagine Liz Lemon being forced to sit through it by a focus grouping Jack Donaghy.

skywalker
2009-07-20, 06:25 PM
I really like the theme song...

That's all I really got...

Starscream
2009-07-20, 06:47 PM
Imagine, Mike, Tom Servo, and Crow T. Robot there alongside you. It will help.

Ah, if only they released Rifftrax for movies still in theaters. It would make so many things more bearable.

I'm certainly not going to go see it. However, while I despise paying ten dollars to see bad movies on the big screen, I often rent them. A stack of weekend DVDs can't all be Casablanca and Citizen Kane, y'know.

I need something stupid to wash the auteur cinema down with. Maybe secret agent Guinea Pigs will seem like a good idea then.

Lord Loss
2009-07-21, 05:01 AM
Well it should be okay (I'll most likely spend more time staring at her than the screen, but meh) as long as tyere aern't too many hyperactive 6-year olds...

Why di (Disney? Warner bros? Universal? decide to make this? does it appeal to any non-eight year old population?

Shadowbane
2009-07-21, 09:25 AM
Definitely hideously bad. Definitely.

Perenelle
2009-07-21, 04:45 PM
I think the little kids will absolutely adore it and the parents will ultimately be scarred for life after watching it.. :smalltongue:
I am not planning on seeing it. honestly it looks like its going to be terrible and I'm hoping my cousins wont want to see it and drag me with them. my ears might start bleeding, or I may fall asleep....
what an exciting movie!!!! :smallannoyed:

Lord Loss
2009-07-21, 06:23 PM
Well... wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllll. I'm doomed. I guess I'll sacrifice my sanity for the girl. :smallbiggrin:. I'm actually thinking I might have fun. laughing at how bad it is.

Logalmier
2009-07-21, 06:34 PM
I've only seen the trailers, but it looks incredibly annoying.

I shall not stain my sanity by watching it.

JadedDM
2009-07-21, 08:29 PM
I hope it bombs. But then again, I hoped Beverly Hills Chihuahua would bomb, and it was NUMBER ONE in the nation for TWO WEEKS IN A ROW.

I hate humanity.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-21, 09:39 PM
I hate disany shows! especially the ones with the damned talking animals

Lord Loss
2009-07-22, 10:10 AM
Speaking of talking rodents, my friend got this card that had a hamster on it. When you pressed on it, it started talking... for 10 minutes.

I know just what to get for your birthday: An exercise wheel. You can run up, you can run down, you can hop on it. You even fall off sometimes! that kinda hurts though...

That's all i remember, but hell it was annoying. Good preperation for G-Force, though...

Logalmier
2009-07-22, 10:21 AM
You will never get those 10 minutes of your life back, NEVER. Just as you will not get those two hours that you spend at the movies watching G-Force back.

I feel sorry for you.

PhoeKun
2009-07-23, 12:47 AM
I hate disany shows! especially the ones with the damned talking animals

For the record, Disney has done very well for itself with talking animals. Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers was wonderful back in the day. In a similar vein, The Rescuers is a fine piece of cinematography.

G-Force, however, does not look like it wants to follow in the footsteps of the adventurous talking rodents of yesteryear. Which is a huge shame, if you ask me.

Trai
2009-07-23, 10:58 AM
Every time I see a TV commercial for this movie, I lament that I will never again have those thirty seconds of my life. I refuse on my no-crappy-movies principle to see this one.

MissK
2009-07-23, 02:30 PM
For the record, Disney has done very well for itself with talking animals. Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers was wonderful back in the day. In a similar vein, The Rescuers is a fine piece of cinematography.

G-Force, however, does not look like it wants to follow in the footsteps of the adventurous talking rodents of yesteryear. Which is a huge shame, if you ask me.

For some reason, cell animated (or Pixar) talking animals are always better than the CGI "striving for realism" animals combined with live actors. I think it's an application of the Uncanny Valley.

JadedDM
2009-07-23, 06:57 PM
I guess we should be happy this is 'original' and they didn't decide to just make a Rescue Rangers remake. I mean, both are about talking rodents and both even include a fly character.

I could just imagine hearing Chip going, "Yo dawg, where it at?" or something equally frightening like they did with poor Alvin and the Chipmunks. *shudders*

Eon
2009-07-26, 10:02 AM
I went and saw it. pretty big letdown.

Dragonus45
2009-07-26, 04:20 PM
Only one line in the whole movie that even made me giggle was the poop in his hand thing. Well actually the mice in general were were amusing in a way. So i guess theyll be getting there own show now in disney or something. Scuse me while i go get me some brain bleech.

Logalmier
2009-07-26, 05:42 PM
Acid is better, trust me.

Aaaaand now they´re making little guinea pig action firgures. What´s the world coming to?

jmbrown
2009-07-26, 05:55 PM

The success of these shows was that the characters weren't limited by them being animals. The Rescuers had human characters but they were generally inept and the whole attraction to the idea was that you have a society of intelligent mammals doing things in secret. They're so ingenious that they're rarely hindered by the fact they're animals. The best scene in Rescuers Down Under was when the nurse mice pumped Wilbur with sedatives from a shotgun. The whole set up and direction was fantastic.

Compare this to other animal movies like Secret of NIMH and Disney's Robin Hood where the animals are either clever metaphors for humans or live within the structure of human society. G-Force lacks that same charm. The characters are completely soulless. They just exist because the script tells them too.

There will be some people who are like "dude, chill, it's a kid's movie" but that term has become a pejorative. "Kid's movies" were once called family movies because the entire family could enjoy it. The way I see things now whenever someone dubs a film a "kid's" film it means it's low brow and unintelligent. Pixar is one of the few animation studios surviving that realized children don't want to be talked down to.

armourer eric
2009-07-26, 10:01 PM

It's at our local Drive-In (Santee CA), so go to one, if available. If movie fails, the car has alternate uses.

jmbrown
2009-07-26, 10:23 PM
If movie fails, the car has alternate uses.

Believe me when I say filling your car with rocket fuel in the hopes you'll break orbit is a baaaaaad idea.

chiasaur11
2009-07-26, 10:32 PM
Believe me when I say filling your car with rocket fuel in the hopes you'll break orbit is a baaaaaad idea.

Better than watching "G-Force" though.

JadedDM
2009-07-27, 03:20 AM
And now it has beat out Harry Potter for #1 movie this week. Kill me.

Bhu
2009-07-27, 03:30 AM

its a kids movie. You had a bunch of parents (at least they call themselves that) dumping kids at the theater to get rid of them for a few hours. Most of them have probably seen Potter already, so this was the next film in line.

Thialfi
2009-07-27, 10:12 AM
I saw it this week with my son and I can provide the following reviews.

Middle-aged Dad review - Stare at the watch praying for this God awful piece of junk to end bad.

5 year old boy review - Very entertaining and engaging but not nearly up to the rapturous joy experienced at Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Justyn
2009-07-29, 12:36 AM
I saw it yesterday with my parents, I kinda like the concept (I like guinea pigs; I have one in my lap while writing this.) but they could have done better. Aside from a few bouts of Fridge Logic (if the villain is making robots disguised as home appliances in a bid to take over the world, why the hell did he put them in his own house!?), the movie was okay. It was hardly cliche, but in the same vein, it wasn't really treading new ground.

There was one part that really got me: The part where a kid grabbed one of the guinea pigs and tried to throw him into a cage with a python. I really don't think that there are many better ways of making you hate someone than to show them trying to kill a character for fun.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-29, 12:44 AM
okay. judging by these reviews if my mom ever asks me to go to this movie with my younger cousins the answer is a flat out wouldn't do it if you paid me no.

okay maybe if you paid me.:smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2009-07-29, 12:46 AM

how would you liked to be killed? strangled? stabbed? shot? pick your poison.

Jamin
2009-07-29, 01:17 AM
I saw it this week with my son and I can provide the following reviews.

Middle-aged Dad review - Stare at the watch praying for this God awful piece of junk to end bad.

5 year old boy review - Very entertaining and engaging but not nearly up to the rapturous joy experienced at Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

You took your 5 year old to Transformers:smalleek:

Randel
2009-07-29, 04:54 PM
I watched the preview for it at the theater before Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen started.

For a terrible second I almost thought that Disney had made a live-action version of Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers (since CnDRR has two mice, two chipmunks and a fly... and there was a fly character in the previews)

Funny, the preview for G.I. Joe also had the underwater base and for a split second I had the awesome thought that they were making a Bioshock movie.

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers The Movie although in the dark recesses of my mind I suspect that they had thought of that and then just changed the names and stuff around to avoid enraging people who used to like Disney cartoons.

At least they had the decency to put all the crude jokes in the trailer so that people would know what they were in for and accordingly look for some other movie to watch.

Anteros
2009-07-30, 12:28 AM
It's a kid's movie. It's meant to entertain children. The fact that it does not entertain people who are adults or nearing adulthood is not indicative of its quality.

Yes, I'm certain that when you were a child you found that children's movies better. This does not mean they were good, or that your parents enjoyed them.

Kid's movies have always been terrible by any adult measure. Granted there are exceptions to this, and the occasional classic will appeal to children and adults alike, but by and large, the majority of children's entertainment is crap. If you believe anything else, you're probably viewing it through the shades of nostalgia.

Thialfi
2009-07-30, 08:46 AM
You took your 5 year old to Transformers:smalleek:

Yeah, I wasn't pleased with the unnecessary addition of robot leg humping, dog sex, and punk assed bitch ***** language that was relatively absent from the first one that he treated as a religious experience.

Thankfully, all of that went over his head and he greatly enjoyed all of the robot carnage. Micahel Bay got out $26 for the 3 movie tickets. If I were him I wouldn't be holding my breath for the $20 DVD purchase, which he could have pretty much guaranteed himself had he eliminated all the worthless crap.

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 11:27 AM
It's a kid's movie. It's meant to entertain children. The fact that it does not entertain people who are adults or nearing adulthood is not indicative of its quality.

Yes, I'm certain that when you were a child you found that children's movies better. This does not mean they were good, or that your parents enjoyed them.

Kid's movies have always been terrible by any adult measure. Granted there are exceptions to this, and the occasional classic will appeal to children and adults alike, but by and large, the majority of children's entertainment is crap. If you believe anything else, you're probably viewing it through the shades of nostalgia.

Pixar.

The fact a movie is made for children does not guarantee said film being awful. Heck, back in the middle of the last century, CS Lewis did a number of essays covering the fact that works for children could and should still be enjoyable for adults, and taking the contrary position was a great disservice for all. I mean, even if'n we ignore Pixar, Disney's classics (Lion King, Jungle Book, Bambi, etc.) there's Babe, ET, to a certain extent the first Star Wars...

Letting something off on being a turd because it's a kids movie isn't a sensible move.