PDA

View Full Version : [Futurama] = New-cast-drama

shadzar
2009-07-20, 08:10 PM
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15405.html

Fox just wants to replace the entire cast, since they can't seem to meet the salary demands.

Would the show be as funny without Peg Bundy as Leela?

Who would you want to hear tell everyone to "Bite my shiny metal ass!"?

T-O-E
2009-07-20, 08:18 PM
The show just won't be the same.
Hoping it won't happen.

Starscream
2009-07-20, 08:20 PM
This can't happen. The new show will not be Futurama. It might be called Futurama. It might feature characters who look like the ones from Futurama. But it will not be Futurama.

chiasaur11
2009-07-20, 08:23 PM
This can't happen. The new show will not be Futurama. It might be called Futurama. It might feature characters who look like the ones from Futurama. But it will not be Futurama.

Statement seconded.

Here's hoping this is a publicity play or something.

Haven
2009-07-20, 08:28 PM
Wait, they went back to Fox? Why do good shows keep doing that!?

Shosuro Ishii
2009-07-20, 08:36 PM
Wait, they went back to Fox? Why do good shows keep doing that!?

Fox has the money, willingness to produce it, and the legal rights to it.

As much as I want to hate Fox, they aren't as bad as people say. For everything they do wrong, they do something else worthwhile.

TheSummoner
2009-07-20, 08:44 PM
Meh, Fox's system for finding shows is, and for a long time has been, throw alot of money at piles and piles of crap and eventually you'll find a diamond... or atleast something people will watch even if its no better than the rest of the crap...

Quinsar
2009-07-20, 08:47 PM
Didn't they sign a contract with Comedy Central...?:smallconfused:
Could've sworn they did...

Eother way, the show wouldn't be the same without the originals.

valadil
2009-07-20, 08:57 PM

As much as I want to hate Fox, they aren't as bad as people say. For everything they do wrong, they do something else worthwhile.

I think most of the flak towards Fox has to do with their news coverage. Their fictional TV shows seem pretty decent.

I heard that Fox tried a similar stunt with the Simpsons when their voice actors wanted too much money. Eventually compromises were made and the original voice actors stayed on. I hope that's the case here, or else the Futurama movies will look good by comparison.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-20, 09:06 PM
I think most of the flak towards Fox has to do with their news coverage. Their fictional TV shows seem pretty decent.Yet they keep sabotaging the really good ones, perhaps because they know they'll make a better margin selling DVDs to obsessive nerds.

Anyway, I think this is just a stunt to get the original cast to lower their asking price. They can't really expect to have lower costs with a bigger cast, which they would need if they didn't have West, LaMarche, and DiMaggio voicing 90% of the cast. Still a jerk move.

lisiecki
2009-07-20, 09:10 PM
Didn't they sign a contract with Comedy Central...?:smallconfused:
Could've sworn they did...

Eother way, the show wouldn't be the same without the originals.

Yes, they did but Fox is still the production co

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-20, 10:06 PM
I think most of the flak towards Fox has to do with their news coverage. Their fictional TV shows seem pretty decent.

....wait, they do nonfiction?! Why wasn't I aware of this? :smallfurious:

valadil
2009-07-20, 10:08 PM
....wait, they do nonfiction?! Why wasn't I aware of this? :smallfurious:

Hehe. Let me rephrase fiction as their shows not claiming to be nonfiction. And here I was not trying to be biased about it...

Berserk Monk
2009-07-20, 10:17 PM
What? No!!!:smallfurious: Why? They're bring it back as a zombie just because they can't fork out the cash for a resurrection spell. No!!!:smalleek:

Off topic, I hope at some point they do a Watchmen spoof since Nixon is the president in both.

Moglorosh
2009-07-20, 10:33 PM

Eh, I'd say it's more like "for every six or so things they do wrong, they do something worthwhile".

Also, if they can't get the original cast back, then there really isn't a point in bringing the show back, as it will probably flop.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2009-07-21, 12:41 AM
:smallsigh:

I hope the cast folds; it is a great show....

Devils_Advocate
2009-07-22, 11:28 PM
Just like how 4th Edition isn't D&D, and Angus isn't a Scotsman (because he puts sugar on his porridge)?

Xondoure
2009-07-23, 12:39 AM
Let me reprhase this to the people at fox:
"Bite my shiny metal ass!"

kpenguin
2009-07-23, 12:39 AM
Just like how 4th Edition isn't D&D, and Angus isn't a Scotsman (because he puts sugar on his porridge)?

No true Futurama!:smalltongue:

Blayze
2009-07-23, 06:29 AM

They obviously *can't* have the money required for Futurama if they don't have the willingness to spend it on what they *know* is proven quality.

Totally Guy
2009-07-23, 06:54 AM
Time for a lesson in economics and bargaining strategy.

Fox produces lots of shows and for each successful one there is probably 4 or 5 shows that fail.

The successful shows have to support those failures or else Fox can never further produce new material with their success rate.

But the ball is in the cast's court because they view themselves as essential to the process of creating the shows and they probably know how much they are worth. But earning "fair" pay isn't fair in this case as Fox had to invest in failures which need their sunk costs filling to get this far.

So the cast can attempt to hold up their producer. But this gambit can fail if the cast were to feel that their role was not essential to the process. So it's in Fox's interest to say this whether it's true or not.

If I was Fox I'd spread a rumour that a major character would be written out in the hope that the solidarity of the cast would be shaken. And then be prepared to accept only long term contracts so that they cannot be held up again.

I don't know if anyone remembers how much the Friends cast were getting towards the end of year 10? They had this situation occur too and won big. So the futurama cast are trying to replicate this situation.

Anteros
2009-07-23, 07:30 AM
I'm a big fan of the show, but I have to say that it doesn't bother me one bit if they change the voice actors. It may be jarring at first, but I'll get over it. It's the writing that makes the show great, not the "acting."

Besides, these actors are already getting paid far, far more than the people who do most of the work to make the show. Cry me a freaking river.

Thialfi
2009-07-23, 08:01 AM
This is all part of the negotiations. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

The cast is saying "You made all that money on DVDs, so if you want to bring back the series we want lots of cash".

The producers are saying "You know this show was cancelled for a reason. Its a niche show that is going to be on a very small network. Sure we are going to make some money selling the DVDs but be reasonable here".

I would be surprised if they didn't come to an agreement.

Indon
2009-07-23, 08:33 AM
Meh, Fox's system for finding shows is, and for a long time has been, throw alot of money at piles and piles of crap and eventually you'll find a diamond...

And then they cancel the diamonds to replace them with more crap. This is Fox we're talking about, with two or three exceptions that they basically lucked on, the network can't recognize a good show. Ever. Before or after it's been aired.

Edit: No, I'm not a Firefly fan. I've never even seen the show.

Random832
2009-07-23, 08:44 AM
Edit: No, I'm not a Firefly fan.

Not that there's any particular reason to think you are...

We've just got to accept the fact that Fox has to make room for terrific shows like Dark Angel; Titus; Undeclared; Action; That 80's Show; Wonderfalls; Fastlane; Andy Richter Controls the Universe; Skin; Girls Club; Cracking Up; The Pitts; Firefly; Get Real; FreakyLinks; Wanda At Large; Costello; The Lone Gunmen; A Minute With Stan Hooper; Normal, Ohio; Pasadena; Harsh Realm; Keen Eddie; The Street; American Embassy; Cedric the Entertainer; The Tick; Louie; and Greg the Bunny. I suppose if all those shows go down the tubes, we might have a shot...

Indon
2009-07-23, 09:10 AM
Wait, Fox is responsible for canceling The Tick?

Oh, now my hate is personal.

*Seethe*

mangosta71
2009-07-23, 10:38 AM
Of course Fox has non-fiction! American Idol is totally real. Totally.

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 11:29 AM
Can't let you do that, Fox Entertaiment.

Swordlol
2009-07-23, 03:24 PM
Fox = House, Bones and umm....

Even those are slowly dying.

Haven
2009-07-23, 04:02 PM

*Seethe*

I assume that referred to the live action one rather than the cartoon, in which case: probably good riddance.

TheLibrarian
2009-07-24, 12:25 PM
I am filled with sadness, it seeps out of me like an overstuffed pie, a Sadness pie if you will.

I fail to see the logic in replacing voice actors, even if the new one sounds similar it's just not the same, they'll have different inflections and whatnot and it will just make the show seem awkward to fans (I.E super futurama nerds who have seen every episode multiple times like myself)

A pox on fox!

shadzar
2009-07-25, 12:23 AM
VA's can make or break a show, even from the start. I agree and don't think new VA's could pull it off, because even though they aren't seen, Joe, Tres, and the rest make Futurama. :smallfrown:

TigerHunter
2009-07-25, 12:29 AM
I thought the new episodes were going to air on Comedy Central. That's what the article that I read said, anyway.

Em Blackleaf
2009-07-25, 12:39 AM
I am filled with sadness, it seeps out of me like an overstuffed pie, a Sadness pie if you will.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j_h3wOcrTi4/R943d0-qIMI/AAAAAAAABOs/t3Ysf7rD2aU/s320/Sad-Pie-701623.jpg

I really hate this. I don't think anyone will sound right. I hope it goes well, because the show is amazing, it's one of my favorites. :smallfrown:
Yeah, Fox is pretty much always stupid. The best shows are always canceled, while the dumb shows live on.

BlueWizard
2009-07-25, 03:45 AM
New characters? Or merely new voice actors. Not sure I'd be okay with either. :smallannoyed:

Indon
2009-07-25, 12:12 PM
I assume that referred to the live action one rather than the cartoon, in which case: probably good riddance.

That would make more sense considering how old the Tick is compared with all those other shows.

In which case, my hate becomes impersonal again.

Tirian
2009-07-25, 04:45 PM

*Seethe*

Essentially, Fox managed to kill all three incarnations of The Tick. I miss the comic book the most.

Lord_Asmodeus
2009-07-25, 04:50 PM
If Fox does this, I hope the show fails, because it just wouldn't be the same. It's like "I would make something great that tons of people would love and make me lots of money, but instead I'm going to make a cheap copy because I don't want to spend the extra cash to make something people will like" I mean, they got the cast for the MOVIES, but now they aren't willing to shell out for a new season? Why is FOX in charge of this stuff? I mean, when they started making new Family Guy they got the cast, and hell how long has Simpsons been running with the same cast?

Eldpollard
2009-07-31, 05:51 PM
Good news everyone!
http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/07/good_news_everyone_--_futurama_is_saved.php

Seems like they've sorted things out. Sweet zombie Jesus!

daggaz
2009-08-03, 09:12 AM
The first episode, they should all have voices from Family Guy for the first ten minutes, until the professor turns off his latest "annoying voiceover" gadget.. you know, just to mess with us. :smallcool:

Farnsworth - Stuey
Leela - Louis
Fry - Chris
Bender - Cleveland
Hermes - Joe
Amy - Joe's wife
Scruffy - Peter
Dr. Zoidberg - Meg.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-03, 09:38 AM
The producers are saying "You know this show was cancelled for a reason. Its a niche show that is going to be on a very small network. Sure we are going to make some money selling the DVDs but be reasonable here".

I'm not sure I'd call it a niche show, and it's anything but a small network (I'm confused as to whether it's airing on FOX or Comedy Central, but both are big).

EDIT: Ok, Comedy Central. Good.

Now they can't preempt it with more sports.

Thialfi
2009-08-04, 07:54 AM
The first episode, they should all have voices from Family Guy for the first ten minutes, until the professor turns off his latest "annoying voiceover" gadget.. you know, just to mess with us. :smallcool:

Farnsworth - Stuey
Leela - Louis
Fry - Chris
Bender - Cleveland
Hermes - Joe
Amy - Joe's wife
Scruffy - Peter
Dr. Zoidberg - Meg.

Aack, no thank you. The only thing these two shows should ever have in common is that they were both cancelled and brought back. Futurama is one of the most consistently funny shows that I have ever seen and I find Family Guy slightly less amusing then a painful rash.

littlequietguy
2009-08-04, 10:49 AM
Aack, no thank you. The only thing these two shows should ever have in common is that they were both cancelled and brought back. Futurama is one of the most consistently funny shows that I have ever seen and I find Family Guy slightly less amusing then a painful rash.

Some of my friends like family guy including an actual comedian but I can never get into it.

It just isn't as funny as the Simpsons or Futurama. Not to mention it doesn't make me care about the characters.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-04, 11:31 AM
Family Guy is the show I watch when I need a cheap laugh.

I watch the Simpsons, Futurama, and South Park for normal laughs and to see what happens to the characters (least so South Park though, but somehow they've made me care about some characters. Of course, they also have cheat laughs, but eh.)

shadzar
2009-08-04, 03:24 PM
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/15528.html

Yup, the situation is resolved and the characters get their mouths back. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-04, 04:10 PM
I'm glad they got them back. Old VAs or new, can you imagine Bender, Leela, Fry, Professor, Kif, Amy, Hermes, Scruffy, or any of the other characters without their mouths? And Zoidberg!

kpenguin
2009-08-04, 04:12 PM
Yes. You just have a deficient imagination.

Eerie
2009-08-04, 04:41 PM
For Cthulhu sake, Futurama is a cartoon! The voices doesn`t matter.

Ravens_cry
2009-08-04, 04:46 PM
Futurama is a cartoon with distinctive and memorable voices for it's distinctive and memorable characters. Hells yeah it matters.

chiasaur11
2009-08-04, 07:38 PM
Futurama is a cartoon with distinctive and memorable voices for it's distinctive and memorable characters. Hells yeah it matters.

Quoted.

Not just because it is true, but also because this shows how good a thing the retention of the old actors is.

Jamin
2009-08-04, 07:51 PM

umm In a cartoon the voices matter more not less than in live action

hustlertwo
2009-08-04, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I'm not the biggest Futurama fan, but recasting some of those characters would be tough. Others, maybe not so much, but even if the replacement was good, you know most of the fanboys would raise a fuss anyhow. Of course, someone that big into Futurama would probably watch regardless, so perhaps there isn't a lot of viewers saved by cowing to fan demands. They should definitely stand up to the Simpsons voice actors at some point, it's amazing how much they get paid now to read dull lines for a show that ceased to matter about eight years ago.

Flame of Anor
2009-08-05, 12:08 AM
I'm very glad the old actors are back on board.

That said, I was just certain that this was going to be a Rickroll. :smalltongue:

Seguile Daengz
2009-08-05, 04:19 AM
Somehow, I keep thinking that this was just another publicity stunt by FOX. The creators of Futurama didn't like it, the fans didn't like it, the voice actors didn't like it... And then, they suddenly announce that the media got it all wrong. Hmmmm. Mighty convenient.

Just what does that remember me of... Ah, I know.

"Let's sell it as 'New Slurm'! The people are gonna hate it! And then, we bring back the old stuff as 'Classic Slurm' and make MILLIONS!"

Still, I'm glad. Wouldn't want to miss Bender. :smallsmile:

Athaniar
2009-08-05, 06:01 AM
Ah, the originals are back. I am relieved.

AstralFire
2009-08-05, 09:16 AM
Somehow, I keep thinking that this was just another publicity stunt by FOX. The creators of Futurama didn't like it, the fans didn't like it, the voice actors didn't like it... And then, they suddenly announce that the media got it all wrong. Hmmmm. Mighty convenient.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Fox's essential issues as an entertainment network spring from the fact that it has an extreme amount of corporate turnover and backstabbing compared to the other networks, so one executive gets sacked and the one after him tries to quietly sink everything he can and promote his own projects so that he looks better. This is why they field such a high number of off-the-wall good projects that they then refuse to give any logical level of support (where support is defined as not self-face-stabbing) to.

darkblust
2009-08-08, 11:33 PM
What about zoidberg?