PDA

View Full Version : help choosing a new MP3 player.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 09:59 PM
okay. it is currently eleven and in about 12 hours I'm getting a new one. what's the best MP3 player for around 70$? I tried another sansa fuze but that broke in about a week. oh and it has to be from "bestbuy."

any suggestions? I'd LIKE it to play video and show photos but if that's not an option it's fine.

RTGoodman
2009-07-20, 10:03 PM
I've got a Phillips GoGear 8GB that I'm pretty happy with. It's a BIT more than $70 (I think I paid about $89 plus tax and such for mine), but I've never had any problems. Battery life is good, plays videos and music AND can hold pics AND has a built-in AM/FM radio in case you want to listen to that for some reason. I like it a lot more than my cousin's (I think she had one of those Fuzes, too), and it's cheaper than an iPod or Zune.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-20, 10:09 PM
apparently bestbuy doesn't even HAVE phillips as an MP3 brand.

oh and it has to be at bestbuy because they give you store credit for broken items.

Jack Squat
2009-07-21, 06:33 AM
Well, it looks like the three choices you have (in the $50-$100 range) are the Sanza Fuze, a Sony Walkman video, or a samsung. The Sony one has better reviews.

However, if I were you, I'd save up some money and go for a zune ($140). I also seem to be cursed when it comes to Sony products lasting more than a year or two, but they work fine for everyone else.

Ecalsneerg
2009-07-21, 12:59 PM
Sony Walkmans are indeed very good. I'd recommend them.

valadil
2009-07-21, 01:08 PM
If you want it to work in Ubuntu (as indicated in a previous thread) I suggest checking the Ubuntu forums for compatible mp3 players. Out of personal experience I can only vouch that iPods generally work with linux and Zunes do not.

pita
2009-07-21, 02:28 PM
I had a sansa one, whose model I forgot, that lasted a year and a half, and was really nice.
The one I have now is a Cowon, which is excellent. It shows pictures, although it has no games.

Mystic Muse
2009-07-24, 11:50 PM
okay. my MP3 player apparently works again.:smallbiggrin: sorry to have troubled all of you.

JerryMcJerrison
2009-07-26, 02:07 AM
okay. it is currently eleven and in about 12 hours I'm getting a new one. what's the best MP3 player for around 70$? I tried another sansa fuze but that broke in about a week. oh and it has to be from "bestbuy."

any suggestions? I'd LIKE it to play video and show photos but if that's not an option it's fine.

Yeah, I got a Sansa e260 a little over a year ago (I think) and its pretty buggy. It's usually just display gremlins, like just displaying static or something until I reset it, but sometimes it flips the screen horizontally. However, I got it at like 75% off because they were discontinuing the model, so I can't complain.

I've also read reviews for Sansas often having the headphone jacks not soldered in at all. Some people had the know how to fix it, but a lot of people were screwed over pretty well.

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-26, 02:36 AM
If anyone else needs a nice-looking, reliable MP3 player at a good price, I accidentally washed my Creative Zen in the laundry. A week later, it was fine. It's a nice little piece of machinery.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-26, 02:46 AM
Wow... I suppose I must've just been lucky. I've got a sansa e250 and it's lasted me years. And, by the way, I went through 2 ipod shuffles in the year before I got it- I don't treat my players very well. The only problem I've had is the center button popping off. Other than that, works awesome.