PDA

View Full Version : Mst3k

Berserk Monk
2009-07-21, 09:17 AM
Anyone else a fan of the show? I know it's been off the air for awhile now, but I've recently started watching the episodes online and I forgot how much I liked the show. Seriously, when I was a tween, the only reason I got up Saturday morning was to watch Mystery Science Theatre 3000 on Sci Fi.

Favorite episode of mine, one word: Rowsdower.

mangosta71
2009-07-21, 09:45 AM
I find that it's good in small doses. But when I went up to visit some friends for the Fourth, and they declared Saturday "MST3K Day", it was way too much for me. I can't think of a particular episode that stands out atm.

You may be pleased to know that Mike Nelson still has his crew, and they still do MST3K things. They're called rifftrax, and they're (only) available online. When they get around to Twilight I might actually be able to put myself through the ordeal of watching it...

pita
2009-07-21, 11:21 AM
I'm getting the Lost Rifftrax
I only saw the movie, which was very amusing.
"SOOO not an alien."

Gorgondantess
2009-07-21, 11:52 AM
Rifftrax, eh? I'll have to check that out. I've always loved MST3k, even if it is a bit before my time... my favorites are the 50's shorts rather than the whole movies... though my favorite MST is an amateur all-text MST of the eye of argon- brilliant stuff there.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-21, 12:31 PM
Rifftrax, eh? I'll have to check that out. I've always loved MST3k, even if it is a bit before my time... my favorites are the 50's shorts rather than the whole movies... though my favorite MST is an amateur all-text MST of the eye of argon- brilliant stuff there.

The Gumby Short is the best of all the shorts.

Thialfi
2009-07-21, 01:30 PM
Ah, good ole MST3K! I remember the good old days in the early 90s when they used to run a Turkey Day marathon around Thanksgiving Day. Over 24 hours of the gloriously histerical show.

My favorite epsiode was done on a movie based on Finnish mythology. It was called "The Day the Earth Froze".

Starscream
2009-07-21, 05:02 PM
I loved this show (Rowsdower indeed!), and I love Rifftrax.

The best part about them is that the "adultness" of the content scales with the content of the movie. So if they do one for an R rated movie they can be a little more "mature" than usual.

Between that and the fact that they can now do any movie they want, they get a ton more freedom than they used to.

mangosta71
2009-07-21, 05:19 PM
The Rifftrax of Fellowship of the Ring was pure brilliance.

raitalin
2009-07-21, 05:23 PM
Huge Mistie from all the way back in the Comedy Central days.

My favorite has still got to be Manos: Hands of Fate. Worst.Movie.Ever. Bar none, no exceptions. To this day I still qualify every bad movie I see as still 10X better than Manos.

Jack Squat
2009-07-21, 06:41 PM
My favorite has still got to be Manos: Hands of Fate. Worst.Movie.Ever. Bar none, no exceptions. To this day I still qualify every bad movie I see as still 10X better than Manos.

I know it's a bad movie if I can't sit through the MST3K version :smalltongue:

And yeah, I rate horrid movies the same way. "Well, it's not the worst movie out there..."

Ridureyu
2009-07-21, 06:50 PM
The worst movie I've seen was Blood Freak, which they never colvered. The worst of THEIRS might be Monster A-Go-Go or The Wild Wild World of Batwoman, two movies which they were barely able to help.

I have movie nights withf riends often. Generally, one of the three or four movies will be an episode of MST3K.

Berserk Monk
2009-07-22, 10:58 AM
The worst film I think they did was Hobgoblins. I loved the part where Mike, Tom, and Crow get so tired of the movie they bring in cardboard cutouts of themselves with a tape recorder of them saying generic statements in monotone:

"Boy, this part is dumb," "What's that guy doing?"

pita
2009-07-22, 11:02 AM
I understood (from tvtropes) that it was Manos the Hands of Fate.

JediSoth
2009-07-22, 11:24 AM
Yes, I love MST3K. When I think of all the old, really, really atrocious movies I would never have seen without Joel or Mike and the 'bots making fun of it, it almost brings a tear to my eye.

Fortunately, there's going to be a RiffTrax Live presentation of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" coming to my town next month. Woo hoo!

raitalin
2009-07-22, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I have to question whether people that are saying there are movies worse than Manos have actually seen Manos.

Seriously, the movie has no redeeming qualities. I have seen high school student films produced with black and white camcorders that were done better. The framing's terrible, the editing's terrible, the dialogue recording is terrible, the writing is terrible, the plot is terrible, the make-up and costumes are terrible. The cast walked out on the premier. Monster A-Go-Go was horrendously bad, but at least had moments where it seemed to be produced with a camera that filmed for more than 20 seconds and was able to record dialogue on site.

I seriously don't think you could make a movie worse than Manos if you tried, because they obviously didn't.

Starscream
2009-07-22, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I have to question whether people that are saying there are movies worse than Manos have actually seen Manos.

I have actually seen every episode of MST3K. Even the old KTMA ones.

And I can pretty much confirm that while most of the films have been bad, many have been horrible, and a couple have even been kind of good, Manos is in a league of its own.

I don't even like watching that one with Joel and the Bots. It's really that bad.

mangosta71
2009-07-22, 01:05 PM
Well, Crossroads might be close. I had difficulty enjoying that one even with the Rifftrax.

Jimor
2009-07-22, 01:54 PM
I think one of my favorites, and one that's usually good for introducing MST3K to newbies, is Space Mutiny. It's just so goofy for a relative modern production. I still get a kick out of making up nicknames for the "hero."

Grunt Flintlock!
Beef Sturgeon!
Plinth Wallboard!
:smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-22, 01:57 PM
I think one of my favorites, and one that's usually good for introducing MST3K to newbies, is Space Mutiny. It's just so goofy for a relative modern production. I still get a kick out of making up nicknames for the "hero."

Grunt Flintlock!
Beef Sturgeon!
Plinth Wallboard!

Punch McHardFist!
:smallbiggrin:

If I could pick only one episode to watch, it would be that one. It was a riot.

"So good of you to give the dead girl another chance, sir.":smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2009-07-22, 02:10 PM
I once called the protagonist of a film "Rex Dart, Eskimo Spy" on an English paper.

It...

didn't go well.

Also, I met Kevin Murphy once at a comic store.

They had the Tom Servo puppet there. It was nifty.

d12
2009-07-22, 03:00 PM

Grunt Flintlock!
Beef Sturgeon!
Plinth Wallboard!

I have a t-shirt with a bunch of those names on it. :smallbiggrin:

I used to watch MST3K all the time. But you can only watch the same thing so many times before you want to do something else (unless you're my dad), so I haven't watched it in a while. I actually managed to accumulate every known episode a few years ago, except for the "lost" eps from the beginning of season zero (no idea if they've become unlost in the intervening time).

I think the first episode I ever saw was either Hercules Unchained or Fugitive Alien 2. Probably saw them on the same day in any event. The turkey day marathons were like an early Christmas the first few times we recorded them because we had so few episodes taped up to that point. :)

doliest
2009-07-22, 04:04 PM
Gonna chime in that I love this show; my favorite short was Mr. B Natural. Also as someone who owns a DvD of the un-riffed manos I'm going to second that it is the worst movie ever made.

Darth Mario
2009-07-22, 04:42 PM
Gonna chime in that I love this show; my favorite short was Mr. B Natural. Also as someone who owns a DvD of the un-riffed manos I'm going to second that it is the worst movie ever made.

Hell, the riffed version still manages to be the second-worst movie ever. Through no fault of the MST cast.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-22, 04:44 PM
MST3K is amazing. My favorite has to be "Attack of the Giant Teenagers".

The Tygre
2009-07-22, 05:07 PM
I -adore- MST3K. My friend has netflix, and before we started watching anime, we routinely made MST3K a nightly ritual. Beer helps, by the way. I agree that there are some movies that are good, some that are bad. Manos the Hand of Fate was a bit of a let-down; after all the hype, we were expecting a bit more. Still hilarious, though. Our all time favorite is some movie with a long, convoluted title about gypsies and an evil circus. God, that one was awesome.

"I'm freaking out, Dave! I'm freaking out! I think I'm freaking out!"
"Man, the Ms. America pageant has gotten weird..."

Berserk Monk
2009-07-22, 05:58 PM
Just saw Manos. Thought it was bad, but still say Hobgoblins is worse.