PDA

View Full Version : Terran (3.5 race, PEACH)

Diagoras
2009-07-22, 11:47 AM
"There is no such thing as an inhuman act, for there is no act so vile that you cannot find a human willing, even eager, to commit it." - Anonymous

"It is human nature to think wisely and act in an absurd fashion." - Anatole France

Terrans

Unknown wanderers, possibly from the Outlands surrounding the Spire. Outlandish claims of originating from a non-magical plane can be dismissed out of hand. How they managed to arrive on the Prime Material Plane is unknown. However, finding themselves in a world run by magic rather than physics, they make the most of their predicament anyway they can.

Personality

Terrans vary as much in their attitudes and personalities as local humans do. They are found in every alignment on the spectrum.

Terrans, while often intelligent, are often astoundingly short-sighted. Their civilizations are merely hundreds of years old, leading to a weak grasp of history and tradition, and the rapid pace of technological progress on their home plane has led to a species convinced of its own brilliance. However, these same traits make Terrans open to change and confident of a better future.

Most Terrans share a deep suspicion of magic. Both arcane and divine casters are treated in a surprisingly superstitious manner, and most magical creatures are treated with a strange combination of fear and bemusement. Reactions to deities vary from stunned awe to open hostility, depending on both the Terran and the deity.

Traits

Medium humanoid (Terran)

Human base land speed is 30 feet.

-2 to wisdom.
+2 to intelligence.

+4 to all craft and profession checks.

Extraordinary Ability - Magic Immunity

Terrans possess complete immunity to magical effects, both divine and arcane. A Terran avoids the effects of spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities that directly affect it. This works exactly like spell resistance, except that it cannot be overcome by any means. Spells that do not allow spell resistance are still affected by spell immunity.

As a result of their anti-magic nature, Terrans are unable to cast either divine or arcane magic. Note that Magic Immunity is not voluntary, Terrans cannot be effected by helpful spells even if they wish to.

Extraordinary Ability - Soulless

Terrans lack souls. Their consciousness arises out of the complex network of neurons in their brain, not a dualistic spirit. Thus, Terrans are immune to any attack based on assaulting their soul or spirit. However, upon death a Terran vanishes into oblivion rather than ascending to an afterlife. Resurrection, True Resurrection, and Raise Dead are ineffective on Terrans.

Automatic Language: Common, native Terran tongue. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).

Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first homebrew, ever. So be gentle.

The Mentalist
2009-07-22, 12:07 PM
On the whole antimagic field bit, it doesn't really do much for you, it prevents targeted stuff, Bestow Curse and the like, but you can still he hit with Solid Fog or Force Cage + Cloudkill and call it a day. It doesn't do much against anything other than a touch attack debuffer (hardly the most common variety). All while it stops every buff that could possibly be thrown on it. It could be fun to play but I would call it severely underpowered.

Lappy9000
2009-07-22, 01:11 PM
On the whole antimagic field bit, it doesn't really do much for you, it prevents targeted stuff, Bestow Curse and the like, but you can still he hit with Solid Fog or Force Cage + Cloudkill and call it a day. It doesn't do much against anything other than a touch attack debuffer (hardly the most common variety). All while it stops every buff that could possibly be thrown on it. It could be fun to play but I would call it severely underpowered.I think you've got the wrong mindset for this. We're not looking at a caster-killer build; the Terrans are a player race, and a +0 LA one at that. It's not supposed to be able to block all forms of magic that a caster could think of; it's a neat angle to play as a character.\

That being said, I think absolute and total magic immunity pretty much gives you a blank check to add a bit more to the race. Right now, they're sort of a "that's cool, but what else can they do?" I'd give them some minor racial traits to make them more interesting.

The Mentalist
2009-07-22, 01:23 PM
I get that, I was just explaining why there's no reason to consider it overpowered for the AMF. I like the race and may toss it into my world but it's not the broken monstrous overpowered thing that "destroys boom headshot casters"

Lappy9000
2009-07-22, 01:32 PM
I get that, I was just explaining why there's no reason to consider it overpowered for the AMF. I like the race and may toss it into my world but it's not the broken monstrous overpowered thing that "destroys boom headshot casters"Ah, misunderstood you there. So, we're in agreement: Terrans need more racial features!

Diagoras
2009-07-22, 03:05 PM
Thanks you two. I'll add some race features soon.

Owrtho
2009-07-22, 03:11 PM
I'd think they could have a bonus to int and possibly craft since you flavor them as having quickly advancing technology.

Owrtho

Diagoras
2009-07-22, 03:31 PM
Added some abilities, am considering giving them the ability to project their spell immunity/AMF around them several times a day. Also possibly the ability to negate spell slots, and the ability to destroy magical items.

Took your advice Owrtho. Thanks.

Myiven
2009-07-22, 05:40 PM
I'd suggest a small bonus to trying to use any mechanical device even if they've never seen it before. They could be very good at jury-rigging and mechanical aptitude considering a complete lack of magic and total reliance on tools and technology.

Limos
2009-07-22, 06:49 PM
I have a question. Would they be immune to illusions as well? Would they just not be aware of the illusion at all?

imp_fireball
2009-07-29, 03:11 PM
I think you've got the wrong mindset for this. We're not looking at a caster-killer build; the Terrans are a player race, and a +0 LA one at that. It's not supposed to be able to block all forms of magic that a caster could think of; it's a neat angle to play as a character.\

That being said, I think absolute and total magic immunity pretty much gives you a blank check to add a bit more to the race. Right now, they're sort of a "that's cool, but what else can they do?" I'd give them some minor racial traits to make them more interesting.

Why not give them all the traits of humans (+1 sp, +1 bonus feat) and +1 LA?

Lappy9000
2009-07-29, 03:40 PM
Why not give them all the traits of humans (+1 sp, +1 bonus feat) and +1 LA?Unless the OP wants to keep things at +0 LA of course :smallwink:

imp_fireball
2009-07-29, 04:54 PM
It's just that there ain't very many human variants or 'types'. Nobody loves humans!