PDA

View Full Version : The movie of the game

Excession
2009-07-22, 06:54 PM
The news that Sam Raimi is going to direct a Warcraft movie (http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/090721.html) got me to thinking about movies based on games. As a rule, they suck. What's your pick for a game movie that's:

1. So bad it's good.
2. So bad it's bad.
3. Actually not that bad.
Extra bonus question 4. Will the the WoW movie be good?

My choices:

1. Wing Commander: be very very quiet, they might hear us through the vacuum of space... :smallbiggrin:
2. Streetfighter? I don't remember it well, but I don't remember it being watchable either.
3. Mortal Kombat.
4. Of course not.

raitalin
2009-07-22, 09:35 PM
1. Super Mario Bros. was actually fun, though it had next to nothing to do with the game. I *hated* Wing Commander, probably because I was such a huge fan of the games. I'm still astounded that the game's cutscenes managed to be so much better than the feature.

2. Anything and everything done by Uwe Boll. Especially House of the Dead.

3. Resident Evil is good, though not as good as the game. Although just once I wanted Mila Jovovich to have to go all the way back to the beginning of the movie to unlock a door she just found the key for.

4. Maybe. I like Raimi, even if he did ruin Spiderman 3 thinking he wasn't coming back for 4.

Querzis
2009-07-22, 09:58 PM
1. Super Mario Bros. was actually fun, though it had next to nothing to do with the game. I *hated* Wing Commander, probably because I was such a huge fan of the games. I'm still astounded that the game's cutscenes managed to be so much better than the feature.

2. Anything and everything done by Uwe Boll. Especially House of the Dead.

3. Resident Evil is good, though not as good as the game. Although just once I wanted Mila Jovovich to have to go all the way back to the beginning of the movie to unlock a door she just found the key for.

4. Maybe. I like Raimi, even if he did ruin Spiderman 3 thinking he wasn't coming back for 4.

1.Street fighter was hilarious, especially with Raul Julia as M.Bison, that guy can make anything funny...but of course, you must really not take it too seriously. Its incredibly cheesy but it get a lot better when you consider it a comedy with some action.

2. Super Mario Bros. It was just incredibly annoying as far as I'm concerned.

3. Mortal Kombat. Sure it had almost no plot but its freaking Mortal Kombat so we just wanted good action with some humor. It was a really entertaining movie.

4. Maybe, we'll see. I dunno if Metzen will actually be the one that write the movie, it could do all the difference.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-22, 10:13 PM
1. I donno... all of them just kindof sucked, in my opinion. Actually, then again, I thought the Doom movie was kindof okay in a funny crazy action movie way.
2. All of them.
3. Does it count if it was made into a series rather than a movie? Coz Gungrave is one of the few animes I'll actually consider watching, let alone consider actually really, really good. In fact, that one's quite a gem; highly reccommended.
4. The game is terrible (though I must admit, I'm guilty of playing it for two years until I realized that fact), so how can the movie be any good?

Jamin
2009-07-22, 10:31 PM
I think a movie about Warcraft the RTS could be amazing but a movie about WoW can't really be good and faithfully to the game.

The Extinguisher
2009-07-22, 10:42 PM
I remember a time where the word "warcraft" was said and people didn't automatically add "world of" at the start of it.

That being said, I love Sam Raimi. The movie is probably going to be decent.

Gorgondantess
2009-07-22, 10:46 PM
I remember a time where the word "warcraft" was said and people didn't automatically add "world of" at the start of it.

Aye. Warcraft II was the game that got me into RTSs (and Warcraft III was the game that got me out of them, aside from the Excellence that is Dawn of War.:smalltongue:)

Joran
2009-07-22, 10:47 PM
I have high hopes for the Sands of Time movie... Please, please it has to be good.

Tharivol123
2009-07-22, 10:54 PM
1) Assuming Clue is allowed (hey, there's a VG of it for almost every system) I'd go with that. If not, Super Mario Bros. Especially since I haven't been able to find a copy since I started looking
2) Wing Commander.
3) Mortal Kombat, like so many before me
4) Probably going to suck

OracleofWuffing
2009-07-22, 11:14 PM
So Bad it's Good: Press Start the Movie. Okay, it's not a movie based off of a single video game, so sue me. It's a movie based off of multiple video games and all the tropes they have, it should count.

So Bad it's Bad: Super Mario Bros. the Movie. Yes, I understand it's a perfectly okay piece of film if you make it stand alone and just pretend that there's nothing Mario-related in the show, but why get a Mario product if you're going to do that?

Actually Not That Bad: Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie. There are comical subtitle mistranslations for the audience that just wants to laugh at things, and you've got Metal Sonic for people looking for moments of awesome.
Runner-Up: Generally any of the Pokemon movies aren't too shabby if you're willing to put up with seeing pogeymanz for the duration of the flick.

World of Warcraft Movie: I'm one of the few people left alive that hasn't played WoW yet, so, uh, I'm going to say... Ponut?

JabberwockySupafly
2009-07-23, 07:56 AM
1) Assuming Clue is allowed (hey, there's a VG of it for almost every system) I'd go with that. If not, Super Mario Bros. Especially since I haven't been able to find a copy since I started looking
2) Wing Commander.
3) Mortal Kombat, like so many before me
4) Probably going to suck

I think you have answers 1 and 3 swapped around. Clue was bloody fantastic as a movie, where as Mortal Kombat was turn-your-brain-off fun, but not necessarily "good" in this playgrounder's opinion. Plus, Clue had Martin Mull AND Tim Curry. You cannot lose with a combination like that.

As for my answers:

1) Mortal Kombat

2)gotta agree with raitalin. Stuff King Kong, Uwe Boll is film's greatest monster.

3) Silent Hill, which really captured the atmosphere of the games quite accurately and, of course, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete... so very very shiny.

4) It could easily go either way. A lot of people forget that Spiderman 3 was screwed up by the studio, not Raimi. Spiderman 3 and X3 were the reasons Marvel made their own film studio. Hence why the new Hulk and Iron Man were both a huge improvement. Raimi has the right sense of humour and respect for the source material for something like tackling the Warcraft universe, but if they focus purely on actual WoW and ignore the rather rich history that existed before WoW, the movie will suck beyond all sucking.

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 11:37 AM
1. I have no idea.
2. I don't know. The D&D movie, perhaps. Whatever it was, it was definitely not D&D.
3. I'm not sure.

OK, it's the fourth question I'm here to answer (and to debate and clarify). First, I would like to point out that this movie is Warcraft, not World of Warcraft, no matter what they call it. This movie will (hopefully) not contain spammers, gold sellers, grinding, auction houses, respawning enemies, PUGs, loot ninjas, complete noobs, or anything like that. This movie will be based on the lore of the Warcraft Universe, not the gameplay of WoW. Second, I'd also like to point out that I thought all the Spider-Man movies were good, and the third was no exception. Third, to actually anwser the question: I sure hope so.

Blayze
2009-07-23, 12:52 PM
4. Maybe, we'll see. I dunno if Metzen will actually be the one that write the movie, it could do all the difference.

Just as long as he doesn't voice half the characters again.

As for the prospect of a Warcraft movie itself, I have my doubts. I'd like to see some serious gnomes and goblins, although they'll undoubtably only be used for "comic relief" and cannon fodder ("We lost the Ringbearer!" "It's okay, we're packing backup hobbits.").

Icewalker
2009-07-23, 01:11 PM
I just want to say, if you look at the article, you can see that they are NOT making a World of Warcraft movie. They are making a Warcraft movie. The MMORPG has just about nothing to do with it, I expect. There is a lot of really good and interesting lore to the Warcraft setting, and I believe it is certainly capable of being made into a good movie.

Now, I doubt this will be a good movie, but the material being worked from is definitely capable of it.

Erts
2009-07-23, 01:14 PM
I just want to say, if you look at the article, you can see that they are NOT making a World of Warcraft movie. They are making a Warcraft movie. The MMORPG has just about nothing to do with it, I expect. There is a lot of really good and interesting lore to the Warcraft setting, and I believe it is certainly capable of being made into a good movie.

From what I've heard, they aren't basing the plot completely around Warcraft, it will have elements of WoW.

Swordguy
2009-07-23, 01:15 PM
Point the first: I'd be willing to pay 10 bucks to see Bruce Campbell screaming "Leroy Jenkins!" That's price of admission right there.

As a bonus, the existence of a live-action Warcraft/WoW movie means there's a decent chance of seeing Scarlett Johansson in a night elf outfit.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/1910298974_9ab70e3563.jpg

...yeah.

Assuming those points are in the movie, it could be written as badly as "Pearl Harbor" and I'd still go see it.

Oh, and shamelessly copy-pasted from elsewhere: "Rumor has it that the movie will have no end, no story, cost $15.00 a month to watch, and be horribly unbalanced. Opening night, the lines are going to be an endless grind. Later on you'll pay an extra $30.00 admission for an extra 15 minutes of film, that completely negates all the popcorn and candy that you worked so hard standing in endless lines to get."

EDIT: Also, Erts? You have the most awesome avatar I've ever seen on these boards.

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 01:20 PM
To clarify one thing: World of Warcraft is a game that takes place in the Warcraft universe. Warcraft, Warcraft II, and Warcraft III are also such games. Books such as Day of the Dragon and Lord of the Clans also take place in the Warcraft universe. You know what else takes place in the Warcraft universe? This film, of course. Nothing takes place in the "World of Warcraft universe", because there is no such thing.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-23, 01:33 PM
It depends on where in the timeline it occurs - if it takes place after the 'plot events' of the game - there's going to be people who insist it's a 'WOW movie', regardless of evidence to the contrary. For example, if Draenei feature in even a cameo role, it's taking place after the events of the Burning Crusade, and since Draenei aren't featured in any role or source outside of the game itself....then people will call it a 'WOW game', because it's drawing on source material exclusive to said game.

TheThan
2009-07-23, 01:48 PM
Well here’s what I think of all the Game to movie conversions I’ve seen. Keep in mind that I’m sticking to live action feature length films here.

Mario brothers: vaguely remember it. But what I do recall it was a run down dystopian world. Not the pastel colored world we know from the games

Mortal combat: one of the best game to movie conversions I’ve seen, it was great, low budget but still great.

Street fighter: this was so bad it was awesome. Everything from beginning to end was silly, and over the top. Bison bucks? Godzilla style fights scenes? Street fighter II arcade panel as a computer console? This movie is great… in a bad way.

Street fighter: the legend of Chun Li: I was really disappointed, this movie didn’t have the ridiculousness of the first one, and had a more realistic down to earth feel, which put it squarely into the mediocre category.

Double dragon: never really saw it so I can’t comment

Dead or Alive: wow this movie is great. The acting is great, the fight scenes are pretty good, but the plot is sorta weak. All and all, its probably the best of fighting game movies.

Resident evil: It was pretty good, I never really played the games so I can’t comment on whether it captures the right feel. I thought everything was a little too pristine for an abandoned resurch facility overrun by mutant zombies.

Aliens vs predator: this movie was along time in combing. Its funny they made a game before they made a movie. I thought the plot was all wrong for the movie, but the action was good and the Predators were pretty cool.

AVP requiem: I would have liked it more if it wasn’t so dang dark, I couldn’t see anything through the whole movie. The plot was definitely better than the first. Even though it picks up right where the first one left off. It was pretty good even though I could barely make out what was going on.

Wing commander: I liked it, sure it wasn’t quite like the games but if you take it like it is. it’s a fun space opera that doesn’t try to break any boundaries.

To watch list:

Double dragon (yes it exists)
Silent Hill

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-23, 01:54 PM
Double dragon (yes it exists)

Many of us just prefer to believe it doesn't...:smallwink:

Querzis
2009-07-23, 01:56 PM
It depends on where in the timeline it occurs - if it takes place after the 'plot events' of the game - there's going to be people who insist it's a 'WOW movie', regardless of evidence to the contrary. For example, if Draenei feature in even a cameo role, it's taking place after the events of the Burning Crusade, and since Draenei aren't featured in any role or source outside of the game itself....then people will call it a 'WOW game', because it's drawing on source material exclusive to said game.

If Draenei are in it I'm gonna be pissed off because they totally screwed up the lore just to include them in WoW, not because of the timelines. Stupid draenei...I'm still 99% sure that the reason the Alliance race wasnt announced before the Burning Crusade came out is that, they didnt knew which race to chose. So they let the people in the forum decide which race it would be and the draenei were the most popular race. And the reason why Draenei are suddenly Eredar is because it was the second most popular race.

Anyway, there is actually some good lore going on in WoW...since Wrath of the Lich King. The fact that the lore is good again is one of the main reason Wrath of the Lich King get so many good reviews.

jamroar
2009-07-23, 01:57 PM
2. I don't know. The D&D movie, perhaps. Whatever it was, it was definitely not D&D.

The sequel wasn't quite so bad though. Rather passable, if cliched fantasy flick.
Although the plot twist is rather silly in the context of a D&D world.

Divine magic? Whazzat? Never heard of it.

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 02:08 PM
and since Draenei aren't featured in any role or source outside of the game itself

I can hear you haven't read the books or comic, at least not the right parts.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-23, 02:26 PM
I can't speak for the comics, but if you're going to be snide about it, there are no books published after BC according to the Official Story Timeline (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/timeline.html).

Moff Chumley
2009-07-23, 02:30 PM
I lost the movie of the game.

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 02:56 PM
I can't speak for the comics, but if you're going to be snide about it, there are no books published after BC according to the Official Story Timeline (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/story/timeline.html).
I did not state such a thing. You said that Draenei do not appear outside World of Warcraft, which is false.

And your timeline is flawed. There are Draenei (well, one, at least) in Night of the Dragon, which takes place after patch 2.4. She's even on the cover.

Querzis
2009-07-23, 03:03 PM
I did not state such a thing. You said that draenei do not appear outside World of Warcraft, which is false.

I'm pretty damn sure hes talking about the uncorrupted draenei. Sure the Broken have been there for a while but we never saw any uncorrupted draenei before the Burning Crusade. And if the new Alliance race would have been the Broken Draenei, there would have been almost no problem. But no, they just had to screw up everything with the draenei spaceship, the «draenei are Eredar» and the «we are not extinct anymore».

Athaniar
2009-07-23, 03:07 PM
I'm pretty damn sure hes talking about the uncorrupted draenei. Sure the Broken have been there for a while but we never saw any uncorrupted draenei before the Burning Crusade. And if the new Alliance race would have been the Broken Draenei, there would have been almost no problem. But no, they just had to screw up everything with the draenei spaceship, the «draenei are Eredar» and the «we are not extinct anymore».

To quote him, Ctrl+C-wise:

Draenei aren't featured in any role or source outside of the game itself

And that statement is obviously false.

Also, completely off-topic, awesome Thrallvatar.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-23, 03:27 PM
Alright, so there are Draenei outside WoW - funny how people can make honest mistakes like that despite having checked Blizzard's own product lines and somehow believed that the company who produced said products would know these things.

Let's change the point of contention, then, to...say...Kael'Thas and the Blood Elves capturing the Naaru's fortress of Tempest Keep. Is there a novel or comic featuring those events? If not, wouldn't including or referencing that attack place the movie squarely within the realm of 'lore' exclusive to WoW?

EDIT: Apparently the problem's moot anyways. Wowwiki isn't terribly more reliable than Wikipedia, but according to the Warcraft Movie (http://www.wowwiki.com/Warcraft_Movie)page, the film is set an in-game year before the events of WoW. Thus, it retains its potential to not suck.

Jerthanis
2009-07-23, 04:31 PM
So Bad it's Good.) Probably Street Fighter, definitely didn't take itself seriously, and was bad and funny doing it.

So Bad it's Bad.) Too many to name, but particularly Mortal Kombat: Annihilation for being such an abortion after a pretty good first movie, and Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li (tried to be serious, failed entirely). Also: The Wizard. The Wizard was so bad, I felt stupider for having seen it.

Actually not Bad.) Going to go ahead and put in with Mortal Kombat, which did so much with so little, was successfully epic and had some really great lines, and Silent Hill.

Bonus Question.) It's Sam Raimi, it'll seem low budget if he has a budget of seven billion dollars and it will be funny. If that makes you like a movie, it'll be great, if you take Warcraft lore seriously, I suggest you watch Darkman to get a preview of what all this guy's movies are like. Then I suggest you TAKE THE F*)#$*( ELEPHANT

Icewalker
2009-07-23, 04:50 PM
You can't really say that there is lore 'exclusive' to WoW. It's all set inside one setting. A lot of the things WoW does screws with a few pieces of the lore for the sake of gameplay, but things like 'a group of random adventurers kill Illidan (every week)' isn't exactly canon. Many of the new events, such as Kael'Thas and Tempest Keep, can be functional and interesting additions to the existing story and setting.

...many aren't, but there are good ones. The point is, while I whole-heartedly agree that the movie is likely to suck, it could draw extensively on new plot points developed in WoW and still be a very good movie. Probably not, but the point is we shouldn't discount it automatically as terrible because there might be elements of WoW in it, not everything they did there was bad.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-23, 05:09 PM
I honestly liked Street Fighter: The Movie. Some say to enjoy it like a comedy, I think it is a comedy, with action thrown in as well. I have honestly heard fanboys of Street Fighter II say its 'not true to the plot of the game', to which I reply, 'what plot? There was a plot?' It was a fighting game, you picked your guy (or gal) and started smashing nicely animated pixel pulp. After that, if you won, you went on to the next. If you got far enough, you fought the big bad. That's pretty much it. I may not have played it as much as some playgrounders, but plot didn't seem like the games main point.

Athaniar
2009-07-24, 04:09 PM
While movies-of-games are usually quite awful, I have faith that Blizzard will make sure that the movie is as high-quality.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-24, 05:26 PM
Has anyone seen the Dungeon Siege (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460780/) movie starring Jason Statham? I've passed by it at the video store but am hesitant to actually spend money on it.

Erts
2009-07-24, 05:29 PM
Has anyone seen the Dungeon Siege (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460780/) movie starring Jason Statham? I've passed by it at the video store but am hesitant to actually spend money on it.

Rule: If the director is Uwe Boll, then it is bad.

I haven't seen it, but I've read it is really bad.

raitalin
2009-07-24, 05:31 PM

As far as Uwe Boll movies go, its the most watchable I've seen. It about on par with an episode of Hercules or Xena.

pita
2009-07-24, 05:32 PM
It's probably excellent comedic value.
I mean, the main character's name is Farmer.
The villain is a mage played by Ray Liotta.
It's gotta be brilliant in its stupidity.
Sort of like Alone in the Dark.

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-24, 05:35 PM
It about on par with an episode of Hercules or Xena.

That good huh? Nice.

The only other movie-from-game I'm remotely interested in watching is DND2: Wraith of the Dragon God. I'm slightly terrified of watching it, because I'm pretty sure it will be horrible. But it's like slowing down at an accident; I can't turn away.

pita
2009-07-25, 05:42 AM
D&D 2 is pretty bad. It's nowhere near the cesspool that was D&D 1, but it isn't nearly as funny either,because you don't have Jeremy Iron's Eyebrows acting in it.

TheThan
2009-07-25, 10:23 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

It’s got Burt Reynolds as the king! The main villain couldn’t talk with a straight face through the whole movie, which broke the feel of it. Its like every line is a punch line. As for the action, it was ok not one of Statham’s best. Over all it was a bit on the mediocre side.

AstralFire
2009-07-25, 10:28 AM
I think the movie will suck but that's largely because I don't think there's much good lore in Warcraft and I really don't want to see that series get any more praise for its already highly derivative work.

chiasaur11
2009-07-25, 11:51 AM
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

It’s got Burt Reynolds as the king! The main villain couldn’t talk with a straight face through the whole movie, which broke the feel of it. Its like every line is a punch line. As for the action, it was ok not one of Statham’s best. Over all it was a bit on the mediocre side.

You mean Turd Fergeson.

"It's funny because it's bigger than a regular hat."

Indon
2009-07-25, 02:47 PM
1.Street Fighter, also Mario Bros a bit.
2.I tend to purge those from my mind, so I can't recall any offhand. There's a special searing hole of hatred in my heart for the non-SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog series, so I'll reserve this spot for that. Grrr!
3.Someone mentioned the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, which took me a moment to recall, but it really was kinda good.

As for the movie proper, my bet is on mediocre. It probably won't be that good, but the Warcraft plot's solid, and hard to screw up (it's so tough you can throw space goats at it and it'll still hold together). Throw in a few pop-culture references and you'll basically have something on par with the games.

4. The game is terrible (though I must admit, I'm guilty of playing it for two years until I realized that fact), so how can the movie be any good?

Because hopefully, the plot won't involve killing the same things over and over again.

Yeah, yeah, I know, it won't be true to the source material, but we have to give up something for the sake of story. :P

I have honestly heard fanboys of Street Fighter II say its 'not true to the plot of the game', to which I reply, 'what plot? There was a plot?' It was a fighting game, you picked your guy (or gal) and started smashing nicely animated pixel pulp. After that, if you won, you went on to the next. If you got far enough, you fought the big bad. That's pretty much it. I may not have played it as much as some playgrounders, but plot didn't seem like the games main point.

There was indeed a plot - the anime goes into much more detail, I imagine.