PDA

View Full Version : Rope like but strong...

BobVosh
2009-07-23, 05:21 AM
I was reading through the pathfinder rules on Escape artist + combat manuevers. I got an idea for a fun build (actually discovered it midcombat) where I go around hog tying people.

Druid with PHB2 variant wildshape, all the rest of rules are pathfinder. He is allowing the level 8 form to be a gorilla (hands + arms, yay!). I have a +19 grapple modifier, and when you have someone pinned you may tie a rope with a +10 to hogtie em, and an additional +5 for grappling longer than 1 round. So 1D20+34 DC escape artist/CMB to get out. Average of 44.5 dc escape artist/grapple to get. Not positive grapple gets them out, even. However the problem comes that it is a DC 23 strength check to break the silk ropes. Much easier to succeed on. I would like to get it to a 26 at least, and prefer a 30.

What is an item that works like rope but has a large break check? I'm currently level 8 and have around 8000 to spend. Any spells (preferrably druid, but acceptable if it is a long lasting and fairly low level alternative) to make the rope more robust? Unfortunatly I am limited to sandstorm, and phb spells. I was incapable of finding anything useful.

So far my exploits have made me use improve grab (scorpion style from Sandstorm) to grapple, pin, and then hogtie a fighter 2 levels higher, and an equal level cleric. Unfortunatly the scout with freedom of movement proved unhelpful.

oxinabox
2009-07-23, 06:13 AM
Rope'em.
Then when you have time, manical them.

i'ld like but, net's are broken

shadow_archmagi
2009-07-23, 07:35 AM
Adamantine chain?

quick_comment
2009-07-23, 07:42 AM
I once had my massively strong justicar use adamantine wire.

BobVosh
2009-07-23, 04:55 PM
Rope'em.
Then when you have time, manical them.

i'ld like but, net's are broken

Manacles are easier to get out

Adamantine chain?

I once had my massively strong justicar use adamantine wire.

I wonder if this would break the druids nonmetal clause... Nope, only matters if the armor is metal. The wire should work.

Also I thought of ironwood on some vines. Unfortunatly this is a few levels away.

Doc Roc
2009-07-23, 04:56 PM
Ultra-fine riverine chain. It's priced by the pound, but since it is indestructible, you can use fine jewelry style chain for it. I love stormwrack!

RTGoodman
2009-07-23, 04:58 PM
Is, by size, spider web supposed to be the strongest material on Earth or something? If you could find a way to use that, it'd be awesome AND very Druid-y.

awa
2009-07-23, 08:43 PM
by weight spider web is stronger then steel but it's definatly not the strongest material on earth.

Doc Roc
2009-07-23, 09:04 PM
:: gestures again at riverine ::

SethFahad
2009-07-23, 11:00 PM
I don't think you can burst a rope that ties your hands with a single 23DC STR check....
Nope... can't do...
WotC says:

The DC to burst a single strand of rope is 23. If one is tied up, one is dealing with multiple strands of rope and not in the best position to exert leverage. Though the rope’s ability to resist breakage would be a factor if someone were trying to break bonds, the skill with which the character was bound is more important.
A quick look at the Escape Artist skill description shows that escaping from bonds requires an Escape Artist check opposing the Use Rope check from whoever tied up the prisoner, and the character that tied the bonds gets a +10 bonus.
If the prisoner just tries to break out through sheer Strength, add the break DC for rope (23) to the Use Rope check instead of +10.
If you use this method, it’s possible (though not likely) for a truly inept captor to tie bonds that have a break DC of less than 23. That’s somewhat realistic, because any knot, especially when badly tied, can weaken a rope.

Kallisti
2009-07-23, 11:09 PM
Riverine is a good idea, but just regular rope works if you have a high use Rope check.

BobVosh
2009-07-23, 11:10 PM
Oh my. That means...34+23=57 dc strength check? O.o You would have to have an incredibly bad escape artist to even want to try this. Somewhere around a -15.

Use rope in this case was replaced by CMB (grapple bonus) because it is pathfinder. I am a reasonably good grappler (+19 at level 8) so it should be damn near impossible to get loose.

Although I do like the spiderweb suggestion as well, so long as I can get it as strong as rope it should be fine. Thanks all.

Riverine would be great if I had to worry about str checks, but if we are fighting things with a +37 strength modifier I'm kinda scared. 74 strengths shouldn't happen.

Thrawn183
2009-07-24, 04:02 AM
I remember reading about trollgut rope somewhere. The key is that once you tie them up, you just keep throwing on more and more rope until they pass their weight limit and collapse. That's gotta give a hella high circumstance penalty on the strength check to burst it.

Project_Mayhem
2009-07-24, 05:59 AM
*sniggers at title of thread*