PDA

View Full Version : T. G. vs Olo Test of Spite

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-24, 11:41 PM
Ok...now we need to agree on a map and buff rounds.

Buff rounds: How about 5?
Arena: Basic? Collums? Magma Pillar? No Preference?

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 03:25 AM
Buff rounds: make it five then. That would allow for at least five actions. That probably also means awareness of danger, I presume, even though not exactly complete positioning.

Arena: as you wish. I'm not particularly fond of anything.

The only thing I'd say would be that I'm a bit fond of description, and that I usually try to do things in one sig-free post. Consider it a contamination or a quirk from freeform forum roleplaying and role-play battle, so don't feel strange if I take too much to post. I'm aware that here is a bit simpler, tho.

Don't worry, I've seen a bit of battles around so I know that I must define my actions and do all rolls (which I know can be done right here, as well)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 12:06 PM
Allright then, I am forewarned :smallsmile:

Buffs: Round 1: Inspirational Boost, Bardic Music into Rapier
Round 2: Badge of Valor, Greater Invisibility
Round 3: Inspiration Boost, Dragonfire Inspiration
Round 4: Badge of Valor, Mirror Image
Round 5: Blur

Basic map:
X 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J

I start in I4which is in the bottom half of the map. You can have the top half.

What are your vision modes? I have blindsight and normal vision.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 12:16 PM
Initiative [roll0]

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 12:59 PM
Hmm, oddly I didn't added them. But in case you need to know: darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, normal vision. Which means I already have a disadvantage?

Since I hadn't added that on the list (silly me), allow me to add it:
Darkvision 60 ft., low light vision, Listen + 7, Spot + 7

Buffs:
1st round: Inertial Armor (psi-like ability; 5 hour duration)
2nd round: Force Screen (1 PP, 9 minutes)
3rd round: Thicken Skin (power stone, 10 minutes)
4th and 5th round: Gain Psionic Focus [roll0] [roll1]
If succeeding at gaining psionic focus at 4th round, instead draw Rod of Viscid Globs at 5th.

Initiative: [roll2]

Starting at:
B3

When you confirm everything is correct, proceeding on Initiative order.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 01:32 PM
Ok, looks good.

Proceed.

You don't see anything.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 02:04 PM
--

The wandering warrior delved upon the mist-ridden land, searching for answers. It was the first time he had traveled that much. He wasn't used to such extensions of travel.

His life had all been spent between the monastery and the occasional rrakmas, from which he had developed great enlightenment. It was in one of those violent hunts against the enemies of his own people, that he had found the secret to traverse upon the very planes. An ability, which he found, rather pointless as he seldom desired to travel far from his training lands. But, he was now forced to.

It was during the terrible attack by those vile traitors. It was a pain for him to claim a same descendant, for they had consorted with the vilest of fiends and the worst of the fabled dragonkind. He, along his sifu and his ascetic companions, gave the best battle they could. But, it was not enough. His master gave him one last command: to live, and to avenge his companions. But, now he grew sure that he wouldn't be capable of doing so. He was trapped, as the very ability he thought never to use constantly failed him. He tried, stubborn as always, to return to his old place, but he had failed. He was growing desperate, traveling throught the desolate land to find a question to his answer.

The fog had lifted. The place was barren, desolate, just as the very world that surrounded him. He knew something...or someone, was around. The fog barely grew thin, and the few times he could see with clarity, there was trouble in the horizon. He tried, as the fog lifted, to draw a handy weapon he had found within one of the carcasses of his enemies, one tool he found useful. The tool, a set of branches neatly joint, and oozing a strange substance, was quickly drawn from the wanderer's bag. He remained calm, as his training had taught him, ready for the first sign of threat he could find...

--

Action and Explanation:
Move action: Draw Rod of Viscid Globes
Set a ready action to use Rod of Viscid Globes on the first thing that appears.

I presume that, given that in Ravenloft the perennial fogs usually lift when there's an encounter, that he knows there may be someone nearby but that he doesn't know who may it be.

As for the small story and big description: technically, I attempted to refrain from using very clear descriptions, but those with a Knowledge check should get this as a reference. I was deliberately short, and didn't introduced the character so as to describe him in detail when the time comes. Some of his stuff and general description will come later, but deliberately using narrative to give it a feel of epic battle combined with subtle clues.

That's what I meant by being used to freeform roleplaying. Don't feel bad or try to chastise me for it; it's how I roll (pun intended). If you wish to be short on description or try to expand the description, be my guest. Just recall this is the first time I do this, alright?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 02:25 PM
I like that...its much more entertaining to read then mine...

Bardic Knowledge [roll0]

Is that the end of your turn?

Am I allowed to read your spoilers? I assume not...

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 02:41 PM
From across the wasteland, you hear a strange sound: music. In fact, you can tell that it is two mandolins, playing an epic duet with each other.

Just thought I'd tell you that.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 03:40 PM
Nope, no can see spoilers. I haven't seen yours, either.

I assume you may treat the result of the roll as an equivalent to Knowledge: the Planes (to identify the character), or to pinpoint one of the magic items it has. However, instead of revealing the HD and something, you may only get a description of my character or the magic item you pinpoint as a rumor.

Also, since that happened:

Spot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spot.htm)check: [roll0] Trying to pinpoint your exact location.

Also, I had ended my turn before. You may decide whether that was part of your own turn or of that was something that was already happening. You may also decide whether my Spot check was a reaction or part of my second turn.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 04:52 PM
You dont see anything.

Suddenly, and without warning, you are assailed by invisible spine-like progectiles. As they hit, you feel your entire body vibrating with some unseen force.

As you cant see where it came from or what it is, this is agains your flat-footed AC.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll2]

Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll5]

Attack [roll6]
Damage [roll7] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll8]

Attack [roll9]
Damage [roll10] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll11]

Attack [roll12]
Damage [roll13] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll14]

Attack [roll15]
Damage [roll16] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll17]

Attack [roll18]
Damage [roll19] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll20]

Attack [roll21]
Damage [roll22] and 1 Con
Extra Damage [roll23]

The extra damage is sonic damage, though your character doesnt know that.

EDIT: End Turn.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 05:26 PM
Well I'll be!

That was...lemme see, if I made the calculations right...

107 damage from the projectiles, plus 354 sonic damage, plus 7 Con damage. I reckon it has no save, just hit vs. AC.

That's a grand total of 461 hp damage, plus 33 damage from the Constitution loss.

That would leave me...at a -484 HP? I think not even a corpse. Heck, I don't even feel trying to explain the way he got massacred.

GG, tho. Though, I'd love to see how that trick works.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-25, 06:22 PM

The trick? Optimized Bardic Music + Dragonfire Inspiration + Manticore Belt Soulmeld + Splitting and Wounding Enhancements

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=138318

Here he is, incase you want to look.

Oh, and nothing short of disentegration describes -484 :smallbiggrin:

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-25, 07:56 PM
Hmm...I noticed something odd.

I wonder how Tide and Talic allowed you to take Words of Creation if you aren't good? As far as I can see, your character is Neutral, while Words of Creation is an Exalted feat.

Furthermore, you lack the Intelligence to even gain access to it (did you know it requires Int 15?)

Even more, you're supposed to take 6d4 of non-lethal damage, since Words of Creation are exhausting to utter. Technically, it's damage equal to the amount of Perform required to use the song, so it's basically 3d4 for the three ranks in Perform you require to even know Bardic Music.

Granted, even then, the damage is still enough to kill me. I could have survived ALL the hits had I not been caught flat-footed. But, you should cause less damage.

Also, doesn't Splitting works only for arrows or bolts? Far as I can recall, it can't work for spikes. So that reduces the volley to four hits.

I can assume Tide and Talic (and most of the people) didn't noticed this two little factors, but I found too weird that you could hit so hard and so brutally at 13th level, when I barely can get to 6 hits (and legally, actually)

Just pointing out, though. I guess I shouldn't be so sore for losing, ain't I? I guess I'm acting like a sore loser, tho.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-26, 01:26 AM
Hmm...I noticed something odd.

I wonder how Tide and Talic allowed you to take Words of Creation if you aren't good? As far as I can see, your character is Neutral, while Words of Creation is an Exalted feat.

Ah. I dont think I had filled in my alignment when it was checked. Thanks for telling me...

Furthermore, you lack the Intelligence to even gain access to it (did you know it requires Int 15?)

Oh...I really havent read BoED in a while, have I? I guess I would have 1 less to hit then...reduce my Dexterity a bit.

Even more, you're supposed to take 6d4 of non-lethal damage, since Words of Creation are exhausting to utter. Technically, it's damage equal to the amount of Perform required to use the song, so it's basically 3d4 for the three ranks in Perform you require to even know Bardic Music.

I realized that just after my turn. I would have calculated it if you had survived.

Granted, even then, the damage is still enough to kill me. I could have survived ALL the hits had I not been caught flat-footed. But, you should cause less damage.

Wow...how? Could you send me your character sheet? Im always interested in means of evading massive amounts of damage.

Also, doesn't Splitting works only for arrows or bolts? Far as I can recall, it can't work for spikes. So that reduces the volley to four hits.

This is something I specifically cleared with Tide. I asked if I could, not really thinking he would allow it, but, fun fun fun, he did.

I can assume Tide and Talic (and most of the people) didn't noticed this two little factors, but I found too weird that you could hit so hard and so brutally at 13th level, when I barely can get to 6 hits (and legally, actually)

Just pointing out, though. I guess I shouldn't be so sore for losing, ain't I? I guess I'm acting like a sore loser, tho.

Heh, its fine. Im sorry I killed a character who obviously had so much backstory.

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-26, 11:27 AM
I actually noticed some other irregularities, but lemme answer your stuff for a while and then give you certain fixes. Since I conceded anyways, it's pointless to ask for a rematch (even more since I know your tactics and pretty much gave you the way to fix them).

Oh...I really havent read BoED in a while, have I? I guess I would have 1 less to hit then...reduce my Dexterity a bit.

Well, your Intelligence is currently 10, so you'd need to get at least 4 points from Dexterity and add them to Int, then get one extra point from the level adjustments. Also, change your alignment.

I figured those two out while I was eating, mostly because BoED is my favorite book. I had my suspicions, but after the Neutral alignment kicked in my head, I had to check a bit more.

I realized that just after my turn. I would have calculated it if you had survived.

Still, it's just 6d4, and it's non-lethal. You'd have just needed to use one Cure Serious Wounds after a hit of mine, and heal for a lot more than normal (since all cure spells heal an equivalent amount of lethal and non-lethal damage, not the sum of both if I get my reading right)

Wow...how? Could you send me your character sheet? Im always interested in means of evading massive amounts of damage.

I don't have it on Mythweavers, only on a Word document. Let's just say that I forgot to do a bit of stuff that could have allowed me to survive.

This is something I specifically cleared with Tide. I asked if I could, not really thinking he would allow it, but, fun fun fun, he did.

Well, that's what worried me. Apparently, Tide ruled that the spikes counted as arrows, but...how did he passed out that the magic item ability only activates if you have Precise Shot? Far as I know, Manticore Belt bound to your Totem Chakra doesn't grant you Precise Shot equivalency, and you don't have neither the feat nor the prerequisite feat (Point-Blank Shot)

I dunno if I should be doing this, but I'll quote directly from the book:

Activation: The splitting ability of a ranged weapon (must
be a bow, crossbow, arrow, or bolt) only functions if its wielder
has the Precise Shot feat.

Emphasis on the feat requisite.

I actually thought you'd ask Tide if the ruling for the arrow/bow/crossbow/bolt restriction could be waived, but that would require two rulings on your favor, and that would imply a heavy lot of DM fiat.

Heh, its fine. Im sorry I killed a character who obviously had so much backstory.

Meh, I get attached to my characters. Shouldn't do that. Still, it's something I can't really detach myself from. In either case, I told you there were some other anomalies I found, and here they are:

1) The sum of all the Inspire Courage bonuses. Unless you forgot to add one I didn't knew, the sum of all your bonuses should be +5 (+2 from bard levels, +1 from Inspirational Boost, +1 from Song of the Heart, +1 from activating a Badge of Valor) That's a striking difference from the +6 you have, since that would reduce your attack bonus, your damage bonus, and your sonic damage bonus by 1(d6).

2) The sum of your base attack bonus. Have I missed something that's supposed to grant you +1 to attack? If I sum correctly, the +26 was based from your original +13 to damage, plus your +1 enhancement bonus to attack, plus the bonus from the overboosted Inspire Courage. However, I think you added the enhancement bonus twice, as I find that your base attack bonus should be +12 total (+7 from bard, +1 from Totemist, +4 from Dexterity) Since the only other class you have is Sorcerer, unless you have a trait that grants extra to-hit, or a magic item I have unaccounted for, the sum of your total bonuses should be +17 (+12 attack bonus, +5 from the fixed Inspire Courage, +1 enhancement bonus to your tail spikes) Also, recall that if, for some reason, you got Battle Sorcerer, that only applies after the second level.

3) Since you were invisible (I checked your buffs later on), you're supposed to have a +2 to attack bonus. Had you accounted for that, the end result would have probably been +27; if you account it for now, it seems you cut the bonus to attack by half. I did it while I checked the properties of Invisibility, since I recall that was the reason why I couldn't detect you by any means (I actually was about to use Listen instead to pinpoint your direction, but somehow I went for Spot)

Now, considering the fixings I found, the end result should be a volley of 4 spikes, at +19 to attack (+12 attack bonus, +5 from Inspire Courage, +1 enhancement bonus to your spikes, +2 from Invisibility), dealing 1d6+6 damage (+5 from Inspire Courage, +1 from enhancement bonus) plus 5d6 sonic damage (from Dragonfire Inspiration). Still a veritable menace (you hit between 21-38), and have a decent damage output (7-12 regular damage plus 5-30 sonic damage, for a grand total of 48-168 damage depending on the hits and the rolls).

Just so you know: in comparison, had I not been flat-footed, my AC would have been 39. If I somehow can pass you a copy, you'd see the way I can raise my AC.

Also, I did something quite wrong in the calculation. I think the end result should have been -414 damage (I forgot to add my OWN HP, which was 70), hadn't I found the irregularities. You only managed to miss ONE shot (the second: my flat-footed AC at the moment was 32), with the old calculations. With the new ones, I figured you'd miss about 5 of the hits or so.

Actually, I think I could fix your build to be less DM-fiatlicious, but it would involve a bit of changes. You could have still thrown your big volley, but you forgot about something (heck, even I forgot about something I had, though I couldn't use it because it was pointless to)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-26, 02:40 PM
I actually noticed some other irregularities, but lemme answer your stuff for a while and then give you certain fixes. Since I conceded anyways, it's pointless to ask for a rematch (even more since I know your tactics and pretty much gave you the way to fix them).

I was just about to offer...ah, well.

Well, your Intelligence is currently 10, so you'd need to get at least 4 points from Dexterity and add them to Int, then get one extra point from the level adjustments. Also, change your alignment.

My Dexterity was 18 before level adjustments, so I could take 2 off of that to gain 6 points, which gives me 15 Intellegence.

Still, it's just 6d4, and it's non-lethal. You'd have just needed to use one Cure Serious Wounds after a hit of mine, and heal for a lot more than normal (since all cure spells heal an equivalent amount of lethal and non-lethal damage, not the sum of both if I get my reading right)

You are correct.

Well, that's what worried me. Apparently, Tide ruled that the spikes counted as arrows, but...how did he passed out that the magic item ability only activates if you have Precise Shot? Far as I know, Manticore Belt bound to your Totem Chakra doesn't grant you Precise Shot equivalency, and you don't have neither the feat nor the prerequisite feat (Point-Blank Shot)

I dunno if I should be doing this, but I'll quote directly from the book:

Emphasis on the feat requisite.

I actually thought you'd ask Tide if the ruling for the arrow/bow/crossbow/bolt restriction could be waived, but that would require two rulings on your favor, and that would imply a heavy lot of DM fiat.

Ah....well...I dont have that book. I didnt know it needed that feat. Terribly sorry.

Meh, I get attached to my characters. Shouldn't do that. Still, it's something I can't really detach myself from. In either case, I told you there were some other anomalies I found, and here they are:

1) The sum of all the Inspire Courage bonuses. Unless you forgot to add one I didn't knew, the sum of all your bonuses should be +5 (+2 from bard levels, +1 from Inspirational Boost, +1 from Song of the Heart, +1 from activating a Badge of Valor) That's a striking difference from the +6 you have, since that would reduce your attack bonus, your damage bonus, and your sonic damage bonus by 1(d6).

Mwk mandolin. Complete Adventurer.

2) The sum of your base attack bonus. Have I missed something that's supposed to grant you +1 to attack? If I sum correctly, the +26 was based from your original +13 to damage, plus your +1 enhancement bonus to attack, plus the bonus from the overboosted Inspire Courage. However, I think you added the enhancement bonus twice, as I find that your base attack bonus should be +12 total (+7 from bard, +1 from Totemist, +4 from Dexterity) Since the only other class you have is Sorcerer, unless you have a trait that grants extra to-hit, or a magic item I have unaccounted for, the sum of your total bonuses should be +17 (+12 attack bonus, +5 from the fixed Inspire Courage, +1 enhancement bonus to your tail spikes) Also, recall that if, for some reason, you got Battle Sorcerer, that only applies after the second level.

Fractional BAB.

3) Since you were invisible (I checked your buffs later on), you're supposed to have a +2 to attack bonus. Had you accounted for that, the end result would have probably been +27; if you account it for now, it seems you cut the bonus to attack by half. I did it while I checked the properties of Invisibility, since I recall that was the reason why I couldn't detect you by any means (I actually was about to use Listen instead to pinpoint your direction, but somehow I went for Spot)

Oops. I never have had to remember that before in these fights, because my opponent always has See Invisibility or something up.

I am sorry for all of these mistakes, this is one of my first optimized bards. I wonder how Tide didnt catch them...

T.G. Oskar
2009-07-26, 03:13 PM
Mwk mandolin. Complete Adventurer.

Cute. Still, doesn't it reduces one point off your granted damage bonus? That would make it +6 to attack, but +4 to damage and +4 to saves. You could use it for Dragonfire Inspiration (because of how it is written), but not for the extra damage (with Inspire Courage)

Fractional BAB.

Odd. Nowhere in the main rules of the Test does it imply that you can get fractional BAB. I know the rules allow the Monk to have full BAB, but for everyone to have fractional...

You'll have to point Tide that such rule can go in effect. I reckon you also got high saves because of fractional base saves? Otherwise, most people will be in a disadvantage because of application of rules.

I am sorry for all of these mistakes, this is one of my first optimized bards. I wonder how Tide didnt catch them...

Because it didn't saw the build in action. Or bases most of his rulings on what some threads say, which at times don't point up the entire stats.

The only thing I could say is to re-roll the entire attack and assume at least the three highest hit. Then, re-calculate the damage to see your real, current output because of the rules.

Also, I could send you the character sheet (I can turn it into PDF, actually), but I'd need someplace that's not Rapidshare or similar sites where I could send it to you. I sent my character through e-mail; is it fine with you?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-07-26, 03:38 PM
Because of all of my mistakes, and because I dont want to bother to correct them right now, I conceed the victory to you.

PM'd you my email.