PDA

View Full Version : The Gamers

pita
2009-07-25, 05:44 AM
Has anyone seen these two movies?
The Gamers is a half-hour super-low-budget movie from 2002 that mocks D&D.
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is like the first one, but it's an hour and a half, it's sanctioned by WOTC, it's much higher a budget, it's a better mockery, and it actually has both acting and characters.
They are both the pinnacle of D&D parodies, with the possible exception of OotS.
Anyone seen one of them?
They've formed more memes in my playing group than any Monty Python movie ever has.
"Hide behind the mound of dead bards." Hee hee.

TengYt
2009-07-25, 06:17 AM
"I seduce the priestess!"

Yeah, they're awesome.

Dienekes
2009-07-25, 08:16 AM
They're great. My entire party has seen them and thought they were hilarious.

The second was the superior of the two though.

Jesse Drake
2009-07-25, 08:31 AM
My intelligence is four? OUTRAGEOUS!

Give me that pen.

Dogmantra
2009-07-25, 09:02 AM
The second one is actually in my list of favourite films. It somehow manages to be hillarious, and touching at the same time. I really need to watch them again sometime.

I really want a situation to come up in a D&D game where I can actually sneak attack with a siege weapon.

Ziren
2009-07-25, 09:33 AM
I thought that the first one was more amusing, but the second one more entertaining. But the end of the second one was hillarious:
"[..]he's kind of a ninja-swshbuckler: The Shadow." "The Shadow?" "The Shadow?" "THE SHADOW? AAAAAAAAHHHHH!"

Decoy Lockbox
2009-07-25, 11:46 AM
Have you forgotten your crippling fear of water?

ThePhantom
2009-07-25, 11:48 AM
I love these movies, and I agree that the second one is the better of the two, but they did a great job in both of them.

Its easy to see a game going like the second movie, the game of the first movie is good, but no one wants what's happeneds to the players at the end of the session.

Critical, I get another attack. Critical, I get another attack. Critical, I get another attack. Critical, I get another attack.

Neko Toast
2009-07-25, 11:50 AM
"Charisma. Weeeee! :smallannoyed:"

Ah, those movies are fun. I've got to show the rest of my friends those.

Kato
2009-07-25, 11:54 AM
'What is your Charisma? 17?! Woah, let's make out!'
'Did you forget you are a woman? - Oh, yeah.'
And of course 'What did the barmaid say? - Yes, yes, oh yes...'
Oh and of course: 'I'll sneak attack him. (...) You're gonna sneak attack him with a ballista?!'

Awesome, really... we tend to mention one or the other quote often in our group.

Oh my, forgot the two which are probably our most used.
' I ALWAYS expext an ambush!'
And 'Don't forget Marc. - Oh, yeah, Marc, come along.' (missing players are a pain in the ass... if they make you play a lawful-stupid paladin and a true neutral tiefling at the same time, curse you, split personality))

Dragonus45
2009-07-25, 12:03 PM
Way back when i was first getting into dnd the guy who owned the shop i hung out at threw these movies on for the heck of it. I almost got most of jokes. But for the next few sessions i would randomly burst out laughing when i suddenly got a joke.

magellan
2009-07-25, 12:47 PM
I gotta say the first one is better.
The second seems longer than 2001.
waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy too much padding.
(oh and for the record: I actually enjoy the scene where poole exchanges the A-whatever unit)

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-25, 01:35 PM
One of the Groups I was in has replicated everything in the Gamers at least once.:smallbiggrin:

Starscream
2009-07-25, 02:08 PM
I've seen the first and loved every minute. Everyone says the second is even better, so I'll have to track it down.

Ziren
2009-07-25, 02:45 PM
Have you forgotten your crippling fear of water?

The real joke was that his character crossed a small river less than two minutes before that scene.

Zocelot
2009-07-25, 08:14 PM
The second movie is very good, but the first is even better. It's a classic that I try to show to every D&D player I meet.

Trodon
2009-07-25, 08:17 PM
yep they are awesome.

Assassin89
2009-07-25, 09:50 PM
I have seen both of those movies, and I really enjoy the second movie as it is a little more coherent in the story.