PDA

View Full Version : New Alice in Wonder Land Directed by Tim Burton

Fan
2009-07-26, 07:07 AM
So, according to a announcement at Comic Con Tim Burton has in the Works a Alice in Wonderland movie. I'm normally not a Fan of Johnny depp, or remakes, but this one seems to be decently imagined from the Trailer, but a trailer is hardly a decent representation of a movie IMO.

So, playground, what are your thoughts on this up and coming re imagining of a age old classic (Age old is not to be taken literally.)?

pita
2009-07-26, 09:06 AM
This has actually been known for a while.
Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter will be excellent, but I dunno about the rest.

loopy
2009-07-26, 09:34 AM
Well I hear that Alice is older and looks kinda slutty, so I'm now imagining something along the lines of American McGee's Alice. :smalltongue:

Aidan305
2009-07-26, 10:03 AM
There's a teaser trailer up here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPR6kA4_iU). I suspect from it that the story is going to undergo certain modifications but it should be decent.

Raistlin1040
2009-07-26, 10:46 AM
Johnny Depp is my favorite actor. Helena Bonham Carter is my favorite actress. Tim Burton is one of my favorite directors. Alice in Wonderland is one of my favorite books. This movie has Alan Rickman who's awesome. It also has Anne Hathaway, who I'm quite a fan of.

This movie makes me explode into little fanboy pieces. I can't handle waiting, damnit!

Closet_Skeleton
2009-07-26, 10:57 AM
Alice is like 10 years too old and blonde. Since when has Alice been blonde in any black and white illustration ever?

Like that will actually effect the quality of the film :smalltongue:

I haven't even read that book, or seen any previous film version, or any film by Tim Burton except for his first Batman all the way through. I gave up on the game as well.

Terraoblivion
2009-07-26, 11:03 AM
I am not sure a new movie of a book that is more than a century old qualifies as a remake. Just saying. :smalltongue:

Fri
2009-07-26, 11:04 AM
I'm an alice fanboy.. Lewis Caroll, Neil Gaiman, and Jules Verne are three writer that I absolutely adore. So yes, I've been waiting for this for quite a long time.

Icewalker
2009-07-26, 11:55 AM
Well, it's not the original story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It is in fact a new story set a while afterwards, with Alice returning to Wonderland, hence the age difference.

I think Johnny Depp is going to do a bloody amazing and wonderful job, but I think they may have overdone his makeup/costume a little bit, usually the mad hatter is portrayed as, despite his somewhat bizarre style, somewhat straightforward in costume.

Either way, I'm looking forwards to it.

Jibar
2009-07-26, 11:58 AM
I'm a big Burton fanboy so yeah, yeah I'm looking forward to it.

My biggest regret is that college stopped me going down and appearing as an extra. They were filming in England and called for weird looking people. Would've been one of the happiest days of my life...

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-26, 12:02 PM
I am more excited for this than I can verbalize.
You guys have no idea o.o

Miss Nobody
2009-07-26, 01:45 PM
Tim Burton = Epic Win.
Alice in Wonderland = Epic Win.
Johnny Depp = Epic Win.

Tim Burton directing an Alice in Wonderland movie with Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter = Epic Win^3.

Well I hear that Alice is older and looks kinda slutty, so I'm now imagining something along the lines of American McGee's Alice.

Tim Burton directing a movie based on American McGee's Alice would probably be the best thing ever.

Nameless
2009-07-26, 01:50 PM
I've been waiting for this film for over two months already.
I can't wait. ^3^

*runs around screaming*

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-26, 01:51 PM
I'm going to have to be the first to say that Johnny's Mad Hatter makes me a bit uneasy.
I don't know what it is about the costume, but it really doesn't sit all that well with me =/

Tiger Duck
2009-07-26, 01:53 PM
I'm going to have to be the first to say that Johnny's Mad Hatter makes me a bit uneasy.
I don't know what it is about the costume, but it really doesn't sit all that well with me =/

I was just trying to find the words to say just that.

Fri
2009-07-26, 01:53 PM
Tim Burton directing a movie based on American McGee's Alice would probably be the best thing ever.

Actually, I thought he was directing it. Back then though, when everything was still rumors.

Nameless
2009-07-26, 02:00 PM

Lies.
LIES!

He looks awesome.
AWESOME I SAY!

RabbitHoleLost
2009-07-26, 02:02 PM
Lies.
LIES!

He looks awesome.
AWESOME I SAY!

I think they had a big opportunity to make Depp's fangirls very, very happy by perhaps designing the costume as a macabre twist on the traditional view of the Mad Hatter.
In the end, he just looks like a newbie transvestite who lost control.

Nameless
2009-07-26, 02:04 PM
I think they had a big opportunity to make Depp's fangirls very, very happy by perhaps designing the costume as a macabre twist on the traditional view of the Mad Hatter.

Ah, fair point.

In the end, he just looks like a newbie transvestite who lost control.

I know, it's amazing. :smallsmile:

Jibar
2009-07-26, 02:08 PM

The eyes.
It's the eyes. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/bri_chan/misc/DeppMadHatter.jpg)

Nameless
2009-07-26, 02:09 PM
I think he looks amazing. Although, I do agree that it could've been done even better.

Fredthefighter
2009-07-26, 02:10 PM
I'm going to agree with Rabbit here, Johnny Depp frightened me a little in that trailer, although he seems to be the right man for the part, but I'm not sure whether the movie would be in danger of being taken over by Johnny Depp. Maybe that's just me being a teensy bit paranoid (as usual).

Archpaladin Zousha
2009-07-26, 02:14 PM
I'll say this much, Burton's version's the only one I've seen that has the Queen of Hearts appear the closest to what she looks like in Tenniel's illustrations. I have high hopes for this. And frankly I think we were all waiting for Johnny Depp to play the Mad Hatter at some point. He plays eccentric characters so well that it's impossible not to imagine him in the role (I hear he's going to play the Riddler in the upcoming Batman movie. When I found that out I thought, "Casting department was spot on with him.")

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-07-26, 02:32 PM
Well I hear that Alice is older and looks kinda slutty, so I'm now imagining something along the lines of American McGee's Alice. :smalltongue:Whereas my first though on hearing that was more along the lines of 'Lost Girls'. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2009-07-26, 02:34 PM
I was slightly worried it wouldn't be as awesome as I dreamed.

But Stephen Fry's the Cheshire Cat.
:smile:

Renrik
2009-07-26, 02:43 PM
I'm wary of it. For the last couple of years, I've seen more and more of the teenage 'emo' and 'pop punk' cliques taking up Tim Burton. Now, I grew up with Nightmare Before Christmas and Edward Scissorhands, and I loved them- they were my favorite movies- but Burton's work as of late has been.... tired. He seems to be just doing the same basic thing over and over again- taking some kind of fairy tale or fantasy trope, adding a 'dark' twist to it, putting in a touch of romance and maybe an estranged father figure, then casting Johnny Depp and Bonham-Carter, getting Danny Elfman to write a score for it all, and marketing the hell out of it to Hot Topic.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love dark twists on fairy tales. I like Burton's signature style. But it's getting old, and the more of my beloved childhood stories he mines for movie material, the more tired it becomes and the more cherished memories I become afraid of admitting to having on account of their newfound popularity with Pete Wentz fans. I don't care about teenage cliques, but I will be damned if I find myself grouped in with those faux-counter-culture types. I avoid them like the plague.

Now, he is going to take Alice in Wonderland away from me, and to top it off, he's going to make a remake of 1984. How long until 'Big Brother is Watching You' shirts are sold in every mall across America, and I can't make a reference to the Party slogan without looking like a cry at night to Fall Out Boy?

Ravens_cry
2009-07-26, 02:58 PM
Alice in Wonderland is pretty weird duck. It hardly needs twisting. But Johnny Depps Mad Hatter costume? Ugh. It's terrible. It's like a grade school play meets 70's glam-rock. And not in a good way.

Nameless
2009-07-26, 05:21 PM
Alice in Wonderland is pretty weird duck. It hardly needs twisting. But Johnny Depps Mad Hatter costume? Ugh. It's terrible. It's like a grade school play meets 70's glam-rock. And not in a good way.

I think that was the idea.

Starscream
2009-07-26, 05:30 PM
I love Tim Burton. I'm a fan of Johnny Depp. And American McGee's Alice was one of my favorite games.

So I'm really looking forward to this.

Dragonus45
2009-07-26, 07:02 PM
Yes its right right RIGHT before my birthday. Means i can score free tickets. WOOT.

ThunderCat
2009-07-26, 07:11 PM
I hate the story of Alice in Wonderland, but I'll probably end up seeing it anyway, because I like Tim Burton and the actors.

Ravens_cry
2009-07-26, 08:01 PM
I think that was the idea.
I hope not. Because it's really, really aweful. I would prefer something closer to the aesthetic of Corpse Bride, cool toned, Victorian, and delicately chilling. Like an old music. . .box. . . winding. . . .doowwnnn. . .
This is a ridiculous bundle of flounces, topped by some bazaar assemblage of fabric that doesn't even know what a top hat IS.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-26, 08:54 PM
I will almost certainly see this. I've been looking forward to it ever since I heard about it a few months ago. I hadn't seen the trailer yet though, so I appreciate the link (well, to whomever posted it)!

PumpkinJack
2009-07-27, 08:38 PM
I hope not. Because it's really, really aweful. I would prefer something closer to the aesthetic of Corpse Bride, cool toned, Victorian, and delicately chilling. Like an old music. . .box. . . winding. . . .doowwnnn. . .
This is a ridiculous bundle of flounces, topped by some bazaar assemblage of fabric that doesn't even know what a top hat IS.

I definitely agree. The pictures I've seen have made me cringe. Unless this movie gets stellar reviews, I'm staying away.

As a side note, am I the only one who's getting tired of Johnny Depp? I used to really enjoy his characters, possibly culminating with Sleepy Hollow, but I can't stand him now. In PotC, I enjoyed Geoffery Rush a whole lot more. In Public Enemies, I nearly walked out. He just doesn't do it for me anymore as an actor.

pita
2009-07-27, 11:51 PM
I don't know, isn't Alice supposed to be, basically, an acid trip? The colors seemed fine for an acid trip. Tim Burton can do subdued and dark, but Alice in Wonderland was never that, in my opinion. Boring as hell, yes. Dark? Not in a thousand years.
Except for the Cheshire Cat. Not boring. Terrifying. Hilarious. The Cheshire Cat to Alice is like Omar to The Wire, except for the fact that The Wire is the best piece of film or TV ever to be made, while Alice is kinda boring but more full of references than a Terry Pratchett - Alan Moore - Neil Gaiman colloboration.

Rutskarn
2009-07-28, 12:04 AM
Call me when the American McGee version finally gets released.

Raistlin1040
2009-07-28, 12:11 AM
I don't know, isn't Alice supposed to be, basically, an acid trip? The colors seemed fine for an acid trip. Tim Burton can do subdued and dark, but Alice in Wonderland was never that, in my opinion. Boring as hell, yes. Dark? Not in a thousand years.
Except for the Cheshire Cat. Not boring. Terrifying. Hilarious. The Cheshire Cat to Alice is like Omar to The Wire, except for the fact that The Wire is the best piece of film or TV ever to be made, while Alice is kinda boring but more full of references than a Terry Pratchett - Alan Moore - Neil Gaiman colloboration.

*wince* No, sir, it is not in fact an acid trip.

I think the reason it CAN be turned so dark is when you consider Alice the character. While fairly smart, she's also 7 and a half (exactly!). Personally, I've always seen Wonderland as an extension of Alice's mind, imagination if you like (but that term has always seemed a bit diminuative to me). As a small girl, it's very interesting, surely, but mostly harmless. There's a bit of danger, but it's the sort of danger a 7 and a half year old would envision, and the good guys always win.

Tim Burton's Alice is 18 years old. She's grown older, and with that age, likely some perspective. She either can't or doesn't know how to control Wonderland, but it feeds on her thoughts. An 18 year old is much more aware of danger and darkness, and so the world born out of that mind is much darker.

lisiecki
2009-08-03, 01:01 AM
Alice is like 10 years too old and blonde. Since when has Alice been blonde in any black and white illustration ever?

All of John Tenniel's original woodcuttings

Boo
2009-08-03, 01:25 AM
I was slightly worried it wouldn't be as awesome as I dreamed.

But Stephen Fry's the Cheshire Cat.
:smile:

You and I, friend. Stephen Fry, there is not greater! I bet he was so excited to get the part! Especially since his good friend Peter Cook was the Hatter in the 1966 version. I loved that one most of all.

rangermania
2009-08-03, 03:45 AM
2010 Can't come soon enough...

Winterwind
2009-08-03, 08:00 AM
I love the books, both of them - there is a reason my signature includes a few verses from Through The Looking Glass.

This trailer though... ungh. I am interested enough to probably go and watch it when it comes out, so I guess it fulfilled its purpose, but I am wary. It seems to be replacing the highly creative insanity, crafted with a defiance to logic only a mathematician could conjure, with Hollywood action and a thoughtless, uninspired dark touch. No, sir, I most definitely did not like what I saw.

JadedDM
2009-08-03, 09:05 PM
I was vaguely interested in it, until I heard the Mad Hatter was going to be Alice's love interest. Then I felt squicky and stopped caring. Ugh, sounds like someone's idea of warped fanfiction.

Lord of Rapture
2009-08-03, 09:52 PM

*imagines the film*

*heads bursts from awesomeness*

Dear Miss Nobody,

Please do not dream of such awesome things ever again. I like having a head on my shoulders. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lord of Rapture

Piedmon_Sama
2009-08-04, 05:13 AM
Honestly, it looks like a misfire. The costumes looked ugly (and not stylishly ugly, just ugly), and honestly something about the whole tone of the preview being like "yeah, it's Tim Burton and Johnny Depp in Wonderland go ahead and COMMENCE DROOLING" just turned me off. I love Alice in Wonderland (only read Through the Looking Glass once and can't remember it TBH), both the book and the Disney cartoon, but I don't think I'll be seeing this.

Jahkaivah
2009-08-04, 07:25 AM
Well I hear that Alice is older and looks kinda slutty, so I'm now imagining something along the lines of American McGee's Alice. :smalltongue:

Which is kinda funny since there is actually a game being made for it. (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/23/disney-vs-tim-burton-alice-in-wonderland/)

Movie-licensed game based on a film which in turn kind of copies the premise of an older and more original game which makes this one look like sunshine and buttercups.

Doesn't exactly put it in good standing :smalltongue:

GrandMasterMe
2009-08-04, 12:18 PM
I didn't realize it was possible for me to squeal like a little girl....after seeing that video now I know. :smallbiggrin:

Jerthanis
2009-08-04, 03:44 PM
My only problem with the movie is that I keep seeing advertisements that read like:

Tim Burton's
Alice
And have a picture of Johnny Depp below it.

Like Tim Burton is more famous, more of a selling point than Alice in Wonderland. And really, what's he done that's been good? Planet of the Apes? Mars Attacks? Sleepy Hollow? Pee-Wee's Big Adventure? Okay, nevermind, he did Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, that movie kicked ass... but ASIDE from that movie, what's he done that hasn't been terrible?

Jibar
2009-08-04, 03:57 PM
Edward ScissorHands?
Beetlejuice?
Batman and Batman Returns?
Sweeney Todd?
Corpse Bridge?
Nightmare Before Christmas? (Yes, I know he didn't direct it.)
Vincent?
Frankenweenie? (This one is weird and amateurish but charming in its own way)

Tim Burton is a pretty big name ya know. (I liked him before he was cool. Yes, I'm petty about this)

Also, I liked Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow. They're not exactly cinema spectaculars but they're clever, and funny and most importantly entertaining.

Kaelaroth
2009-08-04, 04:46 PM
You and I, friend. Stephen Fry, there is not greater! I bet he was so excited to get the part! Especially since his good friend Peter Cook was the Hatter in the 1966 version. I loved that one most of all.

Yay!
Although, perhaps, slightly shamefully, I hold a great lovingness for the Disney film. It was just so lovely...
But I love old Disney...

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-04, 11:10 PM
Actually, I thought he was directing it. Back then though, when everything was still rumors.

I believe it's Wes Craven whom is working on the script for that.

Anyway: The macabre Alice in Wonderland has been done twice before, and better. For the second one, see Zenescope Entertainments Return to/Beyond Wonderland.
I however am not looking forward to this. Johnny Depp had two good movies in my opinion, those were Benny and Joon and Blow. Most of his other roles could have been replaced with Keanue Reeves.
As for Tim Burton, he's stale. And I hate that he has done this. Not to mention, guess what, it's Disney, so you can't expect anything that great from him.

Pretty much all I see this doing is re-enforcing them darned emos misconceptions on Lewis Carrols works.
Le sigh, worst par about it all, I'm probably going to be first in the ticket line. T_T.

MichelleLBC
2009-08-12, 01:04 PM
This movie's gonna be trippy!!!!!! When was Burton ever not?! :smallwink:

Cathalis
2009-08-13, 10:15 AM
Really, this movie looks horrible. Back in the days of edward scissor hands I was a Burton fan, and somewhat of a Depp fan as well, but I'm just sick of these two always doing movies together, and always doing practically the same thing. Same look, same direction, same actors, same scripting, same effects, same theme, pretty much same everything. It's old, move on.

If Burton's rendition of Charlie and the chocolate factory is anything to go by, he is going to completely miss the point of the Alice novels and really ruin it.

Depp's costume as the Mad Hatter looks stupid, I always felt the Hatter's insanity was more pronounced because he always looked rather normal in the woodcuts. The over the top makeup just makes Depp look foolish, not frightening.

Also, if the script of Burton's Charlie is anything to go by, he will butcher the magnificently and cunning written dialogue of Alice, and turn it into something a concussed penguin could have written.

As you can tell, my hopes are not high. I wish people would stop just remaking, or re-imagining, old classics that have already been done over and over again. This will be the fourth Alice movie I know of, and there are probably more. It's been done, move on.

AstralFire
2009-08-13, 10:23 AM
I wish someone would shoot Tim Burton in the face with Michael Bay. They are the exact same director; replace 'fiery explosions' with 'gothy explosions'.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-13, 10:24 AM
I wish someone would shoot Tim Burton in the face with Michael Bay. They are the exact same director; replace 'fiery explosions' with 'gothy explosions'.

So, you want me, to use Michael Bay, as a gun, and shoot Burton in the face like this..... Okay. Ten bucks and it's done.

AstralFire
2009-08-13, 10:26 AM
Yes.

It would make Hollywood better and simultaneously give them exactly what they want out of life: explosions and tragicomedy.

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-08-13, 10:36 AM
Yes.

It would make Hollywood better and simultaneously give them exactly what they want out of life: explosions and tragicomedy.

It's settled then. Let me draw up the contract.

Notice of Acceptance of Fiendish Dire Mooseseseses Dastardly Works:

I [name here] do hereby accept the services provided by the holder of the contract under all subsections herein. I [name here] do hereby promise to make timely, due payment to the Moose, as well as return his library books for him while he is working on the completion of this contract.
[Name: Print.]
[Date: please write in Sanskrit]
[Signature:]

Under Subsection Alpha, Delta, and Numeno C, by signing this contract you hereby agree to pay the full cost of the Mosseseseseses services aslisted below:
1: 10 American Dollars, to be payed upon completion of task.
1: Bust Ticket to the site of the job, provided before job.
2: Packs of smokes, preferably Marlboro Smooth, to be recieved before the start of the job, so that the Moose may have smokes with which to smoke and deliver badass one liners with.
3: Issues of Revolver.
1: This month's Witchblade, to be read on bus ride.
7: Seven bats, ah-ah-ah!

I [insert name] do hereby pledge to make all and full payments before the set deadline 'lest my legs get broke'd.
[Sign: Print]
[Date: exactly 3,876 hours from now]
[Signature]

Thank you again for working with The Moose, we hope you enjoyed your flight.

Sneak
2009-08-13, 11:59 AM
Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter, Alan Rickman as Caterpillar, Stephen Fry as Cheshire Cat?

Yes.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-13, 12:08 PM
Depp's costume as the Mad Hatter looks stupid, I always felt the Hatter's insanity was more pronounced because he always looked rather normal in the woodcuts. The over the top makeup just makes Depp look foolish, not frightening.

My second impression of the costume (my first was WHAT THE CRAP IS THAT?!) was that he actually looked kinda like Ronald McDonald...

RabbitHoleLost
2009-08-13, 01:25 PM
Alan Rickman as Caterpillar.

I think this excites me more than my nerdy love of Alice/Hatter shipping come true.
>>

The Neoclassic
2009-08-13, 01:46 PM
If Burton's rendition of Charlie and the chocolate factory is anything to go by, he is going to completely miss the point of the Alice novels and really ruin it.

You know, I actually liked that movie... Up until they introduced Wonka's father. What the f***? That made me so angry, ruining a great book and a good movie with some extra drama nonsense. Wonka's obsession with candy didn't need to be explained; it was just how he was. That had nothing to do with the point of the book, nothing to do with anything. Yeah, Burton lost a lot of points in my book from that. :smallannoyed:

Achilles
2009-08-13, 09:03 PM
I think it's obvious. In a bad way.

Sneak
2009-08-13, 09:37 PM
I think this excites me more than my nerdy love of Alice/Hatter shipping come true.
>>

Alan Rickman really is the man.

Galaxy Quest, anyone? :smalltongue: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Quest)

QueenMo
2009-08-13, 10:49 PM
I think Helena Bonham Carter is going to be freaking amazing like she always is. i think she was born to play strange roles. :) anybody notice like a The Jokeresque vibe from the Mad Hatter?

could just be me:)

pita
2009-08-14, 03:38 AM
You know, I actually liked that movie... Up until they introduced Wonka's father. What the f***? That made me so angry, ruining a great book and a good movie with some extra drama nonsense. Wonka's obsession with candy didn't need to be explained; it was just how he was. That had nothing to do with the point of the book, nothing to do with anything. Yeah, Burton lost a lot of points in my book from that. :smallannoyed:

That would've been the case if the guy playing his father wasn't playing him like an over the top villain mastermind.
Even though I hated it at first.

Boo
2009-08-14, 07:06 AM
To everyone denouncing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's side story: It had Christopher Lee. :smallcool:

Yes, this is needless white text. I didn't need it, but I thought you might enjoy reading it for the sake of satisfying your own curiosity. Silly Human/Lovecraftian Horror Wannabe.

Erloas
2009-08-14, 10:10 AM
It looked pretty good to me. I'm not much of a movie fan in general but I like a fair amount of the stuff Johnny Depp and Tim Burton (together and separately).

The static picture of Depp as the Mad Hatter didn't look right, but in the trailer it seemed just fine. It was a bit eccentric, but that really is how it should be.
I don't know if I'll see it in the theater, but that wouldn't be saying much because I only see about 2-3 movies a year in the theater. Which would mean I would have to rent it, but I probably don't even rent 2-3 movies over the course of a year, so it really just depends if someone else invites me to watch it at some time.