PDA

View Full Version : [3.5: PrC] Praon Disciple (PEACH)

The Neoclassic
2009-07-26, 07:59 PM
PRAON DISCIPLE
Praon Disciples are warriors who retain an unusual degree of control over their bodies and minds. They firmly believe in the power of mind over matter, as taught by the Exalted Mind sect of the Praon church. Though usually monks formally associated with the Exalted Mind sect’s church hierarchy, other martially-inclined individuals devoted to the sect’s teachings may choose to pursue this path as well.
Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
To qualify to become a Praon Disciple, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Base Will Save: +3.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Feats: Endurance, Diehard.
Alignment: Lawful neutral.
Special: Must be a member of or devoted believer in the Exalted Mind sect of the Praon church

Class Skills
The Praon Disciple’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

PRAON DISCIPLE
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2| Unarmed strike, immunity to fear, meditation, freely multiclass

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Well-trained body

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Detect lack of order

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Awareness +2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Harmonious efforts +2, necromancy resistance +2

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Calm ally

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|Protection from chaos

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Awareness +4, Harmonious efforts +4

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Let the Waves Go By

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|End the Madness 1/day, necromancy resistance +4[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the Praon disciple prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Praon disciple gains no new proficiency with any weapon or armor.
Unarmed strike: Praon disciple levels stack with monk levels for the purposes of determining unarmed strike damage. If a Praon disciple has no levels in monk, she gains the unarmed strike ability as a monk, simply with one Praon Disciple level being equivalent to one level of monk.
Immunity to fear (Ex): A Praon disciple is immune to fear spells and effects.
Meditation: A Praon disciple is expected to meditate in quiet contemplation for one hour (or more) each day. This allows her to focus her mind, practice self-control, and retain her strong mind-body connection. If she fails to do so, many of her class abilities cease to function, much like a spellcaster is unable to cast spells for the day without his hour of preparation. All class abilities, except for unarmed strike and freely multiclass, are dependent upon meditation.
Freely Multiclass: A monk who gains levels in Praon disciple may return to raise her monk levels without penalty, an exception to the usual rule for monks.
Well-Trained Body (Ex): Starting at second level, instead of a Constitution check, a Praon disciple may make a Wisdom check in the following situations: to continue running, to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march, to hold your breath, to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst. This is an option; a Praon disciple is never required to make a Wisdom check instead of a Constitution check in these situations.
Detect Lack of Order (Sp): From third level onward, a Praon disciple may detect nonlawful characters. This ability functions identically to the spell detect chaos except that it also detects creatures and objects which are neutral on the law-chaos spectrum (though it doesn’t detect objects or effects which lack an alignment on the law-chaos spectrum). Auras from neutral sources register as one level of intensity lower than chaotic ones do. For example, a CE creature with 30 HD would register as a strong aura but a NE creature with 30 HD would only be a moderate aura.
Awareness (Ex): Beginning at fourth level, a Praon disciple gains a +2 insight bonus to Listen, Search, and Spot checks as well as a +2 insight bonus to initiative. This number rises to +4 for both the skills and initiative starting at eighth level.
Harmonious Efforts (Su): Once per day, starting at fifth level, a Praon disciple may begin to hum, sing, or chant in a simple but orderly melody. Every lawful party member within twenty feet who begins to hum, sing, or chant along gains a +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and skill checks as well as a +2 bonus to Will saves. Party members who are spellcasting with verbal components or are unable to speak for whatever reason are not able to hum, sing, or chant along. This bonus raises to +4 at eighth level.
Necromancy Resistance (Ex): At fifth level, a Praon disciple gains a +2 resistance bonus against all necromancy spells and effects. At tenth level, this bonus rises to +4.
Calm Ally (Sp): Starting at sixth level, a Praon disciple may calm an ally at will. This functions identically to the spell calm emotions except that the target must be willing (if they don’t wish to be affected, they automatically succeed their saving throw) and the range of this ability is touch (and hence only one ally may be calmed at a time).
Protection From Chaos (Sp): At seventh level, a Praon disciple may use protection from chaos at will as a spell-like ability.
Let the Waves Go By (Ex): At ninth level, a Praon disciple is so in tune with lawfulness that she gains SR 25 against all spells with the [Chaotic] descriptor.
End the Madness (Su): A tenth level Praon disciple may, once per day, announce that she is going to make a fatal attack against a nonlawful creature. She must announce this before she rolls the attack. If the target is lawful, the attack automatically misses and this ability is used up for the day. If the attack misses, this ability is used up for the day. Upon a successful hit to a nonlawful creature, however, the attack is automatically treated as a critical and damage is rolled as such. Additionally, the creature is mentally confronted with the nature of complete order and extreme balance, often including visions of Praos himself. They must make a Will save (DC 15 + ½ levels in monk + disciple’s Cha modifier) or die. The Will save dependent part of this ability cannot affect mindless creatures or creatures with less than 6 Intelligence.

For those of you who are interested in the deity behind this class:
Praos, God of Order
Alignment: Lawful neutral

Portfolio: Death, natural order, mental strength

Domains: Death*, Law, Mind, Repose

Symbol: Ten saffron yellow spheres evenly spaced in a circular pattern

Favored Weapon: Unarmed strike, dart

Worshippers: Monks, scribes, historians, those who handle the dead

Praos is a calm, unwavering deity who in some myths is shown as the careful recorder of all that passes. He has no interest in causing or preventing suffering, apathetically sending death to those whose time has come.

Praos strongly believes in balance but leaves interpretation open to the churches. Some focus on destroying the “unnatural” (undead), others on the balance of nature and civilization. A few take the message very personally, seeking to have balanced abilities or relationships between work and family or emotions, mind, and body. Despite differences in opinion, different churches of Praos strive to cooperate with each other whenever possible, and view other sects as allies rather than rivals.

Maintaining the order of the universe is the canon of Praos. Included in this is the finality and severity of death; neither priests nor laypeople may create undead though other manipulations of life energy through necromancy are not forbidden. Weakness in any form is something to be overcome, not to wallow in.

There are two main branches of the Praon church, the Orthapraxic sect and the Exalted Mind sect. The former emphasizes ceremony and ritual while the latter, less widespread and appealing more to monks, places mind and meditation over all else.

No known deity is older than Praos. Before him, there was only confusion, darkness, and an unstoppable explosion of incomplete life. Some of the strands of primordial existence cried out for meaning, and in their binding, Praos was formed. He brought patience, light, order, and death to balance the existing mayhem. To this day, he has not faltered in his harmony. Unlike most of his peers, Praos maintains few connections with the other gods.

*Praos does not support undeath, hence his church uses a (homebrew) modified Death domain.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-26, 08:00 PM
So… general feedback? I’m well aware that the class needs some tweaking, and hence I’ve compiled a list of my major concerns so I can get more specific advice from folks better skilled at the crunch.

Is this class overall well-balanced? Should I raise the prerequisites so entering characters will be starting their 11th rather than their 6th level? Is insight an appropriate bonus type for the skills and for initiative under their Awareness ability? For Harmonious Efforts, what type of bonus should the Will save bonus be? For Necromancy Resistance, I have a feeling that “resistance bonus” isn’t the right way of putting it. Is Let the Waves Go By too weak or too strong for the 9th level class ability? Is End the Madness overpowered, and does it need rewording to be clearer? Should any of the abilities be moved around as far as which come at which levels?

As people give suggestions and I take them, I will go back and modify the class.

(Sorry for breaking this up into two posts- I did it for formatting reasons.)

Panabelle
2009-07-27, 10:44 PM
I think it looks QUITE prestigious! =D
...Yeah I know nothing about DnD, sorry. >.> But the paragraph at the beginning sounded interesting!

MechaGodzilla
2009-07-30, 08:50 PM
This class is truly unbalanced and uninspired. As an unbiased observer, I consider it to be an abomination against everything DnD stands for. I hope that you rethink the events in your life that have led you to such an act. May god have mercy on your soul.

Siosilvar
2009-07-30, 08:53 PM
This class is truly unbalanced and uninspired. As an unbiased observer, I consider it to be an abomination against everything DnD stands for. I hope that you rethink the events in your life that have led you to such an act. May god have mercy on your soul.

Sarcasm does not translate well over the internet.

Capstone ability: Make a will save or what? I'd assume die or go insane with the sheer power of the universe forced upon the target, or something like that.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-30, 09:08 PM
Capstone ability: Make a will save or what? I'd assume die or go insane with the sheer power of the universe forced upon the target, or something like that.

Oh! I did indeed forget to fill that in. Will Save or die. Or possibly go insane, if death would be too overpowered. I rather like death though. :smallbiggrin:

Siosilvar
2009-07-30, 09:09 PM
Oh! I did indeed forget to fill that in. Will Save or die. Or possibly go insane, if death would be too overpowered. I rather like death though. :smallbiggrin:

Death's fine. I'd note that it's 1/day in the table.

The Neoclassic
2009-07-30, 09:34 PM
Death's fine. I'd note that it's 1/day in the table.

Did so!

I'm still waffling on whether they should gain immunity or just SR 25 to [Chaotic] spells...