PDA

View Full Version : I know this sounds dumb but.........

armourer eric
2009-07-26, 09:41 PM
I actually enjoy LotR Fan Fiction, and finally after 8 years since the first movie, the volume/quality of work is dropping off a cliff and writers are moving on to post HP7 stories. Makes me bummed.

warty goblin
2009-07-26, 09:54 PM
...so, um, what is there to discuss about this?

FoE
2009-07-26, 10:35 PM
The next worst word you can couple with the word "fan" is, you guessed it, the word "fiction".

chiasaur11
2009-07-26, 10:38 PM
The next worst word you can couple with the word "fan" is, you guessed it, the word "fiction".

Ah, Strong Bad.

He's as wise as he is...

Something. Probably not merciful, though.

horngeek
2009-07-26, 10:39 PM
Go to the TV tropes site, and look up Fan Fic Reccomendations. There are some good ones in there.

yes, 90% of fanfics are absolute crud, but the remaining 10% are quite good.

Aotrs Commander
2009-07-27, 05:51 AM
My personal experience is that it's more like 1-3% but I guess it depends on what genera of fanfiction you read. The good stuff is still very good though.

Comet
2009-07-27, 07:00 AM
I've read three fanfictions in my entire life.
Every single one of them was awesome.

I know where the quality's at, dawg.

Eddums
2009-07-27, 07:49 AM
Stories of Arda has some fairly decent LotR fan-fiction, in my experience.

Rawhide
2009-07-27, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

Nerd-o-rama
2009-07-27, 11:41 AM
Yeah, fanfic is more like a 99/1 ratio than Sturgeon's standard 90/10.

Speaking seriously, I'm sure there will still be quality LotR fanfic being made in the future. I mean, as much as I choke on the words, with DVDs of the movie around, the story is exponentially more popular with bored jobless teenagers than it ever was as merely novels. As more people discover it, more will take up the pen and the lack-of-spellchecker. I mean, I'm still finding new readable Neon Genesis Evangelion stuff almost fifteen years after its debut (although it helps that the actual studio keeps whoring out the show as well, I guess).

13_CBS
2009-07-27, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxyZaZlaOs

Favorite line:

"...and the pants were dead..."

*Image of, sure enough, dead pants.*

Berserk Monk
2009-07-27, 09:16 PM
Ah, Strong Bad.

He's as wise as he is...

Something. Probably not merciful, though.

Dang! I wanted to make an SB joke.

bosssmiley
2009-07-28, 04:22 AM
I actually enjoy LotR Fan Fiction, and finally after 8 years since the first movie, the volume/quality of work is dropping off a cliff and writers are moving on to post HP7 stories. Makes me bummed.

What? Christopher Tolkien is doing HP fanfic now?! :smallamused:

(Harry Potter = "Worst Witch" fanfic)

Yarram
2009-08-02, 07:16 AM
I dunno, I've read a few decent fanfics. Some, much better than the original books.

The best metaphor I've made up for finding good fanfiction, is searching for toffs. For those who've read Terry Pratchet, you may know that a Toff is a chunk of sewerage that holds some value. Basically it is a bunch of valuable things like rings and lost cash that've been flushed down a toilet and all formed together to make a chunky sewery goodness Toff, that can be sold for profit.

The metaphors application to fanfics is that most fanfics are frankly, ****, but every once and a while, you come accross a good author. Luckily, that good author has been scouring the sewers also, and they have found other good authers, who they have linked to, and those authers are linked to each other in a "toff" of good fanfics that lasts you a week, before you have to go scouring down odd lanes and barren streets to find more.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-02, 04:32 PM
I suppose it would be very narrow-minded of me to say that all fan fiction sucks, so I'll simply point out that I've never, ever, in my entire life and all the time that I've spent exploring the Internet, come across a fan fiction that was worth reading.

Especially considering most fan fictions are simply made by fans who think the canonical main couple is terrible and the main character should have ended up with another character.

Prime32
2009-08-02, 05:07 PM
Yeah, fanfic is more like a 99/1 ratio than Sturgeon's standard 90/10.The 90% ratio is when there's some form of quality filter, which of course fanfic does not have. 99% applies otherwise.

Warpfire
2009-08-02, 09:46 PM
I'd say the ratio of good fan fiction to bad gets considerably better if you ignore relationship-centered (read: slash fic) works. Which in my opinion is an extremely wise policy.

That does eliminate a pretty large segment of fan fic, though.

doliest
2009-08-03, 05:39 AM
Usually the best fanfic's are well written comedies, my personal favorite being a HP fanfic where the new teacher is Stephen Colbert, that one kept me laughing for a good ten minutes.

horngeek
2009-08-03, 06:07 AM
Harry Potter and the Eagle of Truthiness?

doliest
2009-08-03, 06:21 AM

Yep; Love it.

Jayngfet
2009-08-03, 07:31 AM
Yep; Love it.

Great headmaster? Or greatest headmaster?

Yarram
2009-08-03, 07:38 AM
I enjoyed "A Black Comedy" by NonJon. Actually I enjoyed most of his stuff.

horus42
2009-08-03, 09:00 AM

This actually exists? I must see it.

Lerky
2009-08-03, 09:06 AM

...I like fan fiction:smallfrown:

doliest
2009-08-03, 09:32 AM
Great headmaster? Or greatest headmaster?

Greatest Threat to the wizarding world? Bugbears.

I also love fanfiction that's laughably bad; after all who doesn't love a super saiyan Hitler?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-08-03, 11:19 AM
I dunno, I've read a few decent fanfics. Some, much better than the original books.

The best metaphor I've made up for finding good fanfiction, is searching for toffs. For those who've read Terry Pratchet, you may know that a Toff is a chunk of sewerage that holds some value. Basically it is a bunch of valuable things like rings and lost cash that've been flushed down a toilet and all formed together to make a chunky sewery goodness Toff, that can be sold for profit.
And anyone who's read Terry Pratchett and is British wouldn't have missed the joke in calling a toff sewage with riches. (toff = derogatory term for an aristocrat/posh, rich person, especially the smug ones.)

I wouldn't normally have bothered with that, but your post made me cringe. No offense. :smallwink:

Wraithy
2009-08-03, 12:53 PM
(Harry Potter = "Worst Witch" fanfic)

:smallbiggrin:

Lord Seth
2009-08-03, 03:20 PM
Most fan fiction is bad. There is some good stuff though. I've written some stuff that was good, though I generally didn't care too much about characterization as mine tended towards the just plain silly. (e.g. in an Advance Wars fanfic, Sturm invades Blue Moon...because he wants their hot dogs)

hamishspence
2009-08-03, 03:22 PM
I like LoTR humour fiction. "emails of the nine riders" was quite funny:

"Hey Boss, did you know Mordor is crumbling? Boss?"

Zanaril
2009-08-03, 03:24 PM
And anyone who's read Terry Pratchett and is British wouldn't have missed the joke in calling a toff sewage with riches. (toff = derogatory term for an aristocrat/posh, rich person, especially the smug ones.)

I wouldn't normally have bothered with that, but your post made me cringe. No offense. :smallwink:

But it still works as a metaphor. :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-08-03, 03:37 PM
The word used was tosheroon, not toff, for a ball of mud mixed with coins, in The Truth novel.