PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Helgas' Crossroads, Inn and Tavern

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-27, 02:52 AM
Helgas' Crossroads, Inn and Tavern:

General Information

Layout:

Recently built on a junction of roads that lead to a great many places, Helgas’ Crossroads is a two storey building constructed largely using firm oak wood.

-Outdoors:
Adjacent to the inn there’s a small vegetable and herb garden, a small barn, a latrine area and a decently sized stable.

- Vegetable and herb garden:
Here vegetable and herbs are grown as well as a few fruiting trees. Depending on the season one can expect to find strawberries, cherries, spring onions and radish in spring, rock melons, water melons, beans, cucumbers, egg plants and tomatoes in summer, potatoes, red and white onions, pumpkins of various sizes and broccoli in autumn and near nothing in winter.
When in season asparagus, berries, acorns, fish, fungi and game animals are gathered from the surrounding temperate woodlands, fields and water bodies.

- Barn.
Around 20 chickens, 10 ducks, 3 geese, the odd tamed pheasant, 4 pigs, 2 black goats, 2 sheep, a brown milk cow and a donkey are kept here. These animals are kept largely for their eggs and milk and not for their milk. Those that are obviously meant as meat (pigs and geese) are bred carefully to ensure that some stock always exists.
The inns four guard dogs (treat as riding dogs) and three cats also live here and Helga hopes to add a pigeon house when time and money allows.

Animal names:

A large reddish rooster: ****
An old one legged brown duck: Martha
The Brown Cow is called Lilly
The pale grey donkey: Mihan
Dog names: Pirate, Bitch, Brambles and Lean
Cat names: Scruffs, Mittens and Furball

-The Latrines:

If you have to visit the three toilets make sure you do so early in the day because they are only cleaned once and that is early in the morning…Located close to the stables to mask the smell and planted with dense bushes and ivy that haven’t yet grown enough to hide them these crude wooden structures can actually be described as a wooden stool with a hole in the middle…

-Stable.

This arching, dark wooden construction has enough space to house 12 large sized mounts with ease. A smithy is also in the making here (the forge is complete and usable, but many of the tools are missing) and Helga hopes to find a stable master and smith in the not so distant future. She also wishes to start trading in mounts (normal ones), but at the moment she has non available for sale.

-Ground Floor:

The bar, feast hall, dance/ perform area, kitchen and a room that can be reserved for private functions are found here.

-The Bar:

This polished dark wooden structure is the first thing a traveler sees when he enters through the front door. Several bronze and red leather bar stools are positioned invitingly in front of it and an impressive collection of brews, wines and other beverages are displayed openly… as is Helgas’ +1 merciful Greataxe called Last Resort.
Helga is usually behind the bar and she’s ever alert for trouble, thus far the rich brown bar has no scratches or other abrasions but she knows it’s only a matter of time. That said she doesn’t mind ‘responsible’ revelry and will have spontaneous ‘two for one’ nights when things seem to be picking up or quieting down.

Sample prices and drinks:

I’ll let you guys create a list of drinks and prices . Helga has a great many contacts so she could get quite exotic drinks

- Feast Hall:

Knowing that nice, elegant furniture wouldn’t last long in the feasting areas, Helga has opted for the cheap, easily replaced alternative and thus most items here are unremarkable. 14 tables can be found here, capable of seating anywhere from two people to an impressive twenty four on the massive dwarven feasting platform. Chairs and stools are provided in abundance so that the guests can pull up one and join any table or company they please. Two massive bronze chandeliers light up the entire room and a large stone fireplace, probably of dwarven origin as well, ensures that there’s ample of warmth and shadow for storytelling.

-Dance/ Performance area:

A part of the feast hall this section of the ground floor is kept free of tables, chairs and other clutter and it is hear that any dancing takes place. An elevated platform at the back of this room is probably the space on which the performances take place and any minstrel or performer is invited to have a go. Impressing Helga usually means that the performer gets free lodging.

- Kitchen:

The domain of Charlotte Connifer, the halfling cook, is not a place to be entered light heartedly. Constructed of stone brick to prevent fires from spreading it has all the kitchen wear any chef would ever want including a massive iron cauldron.

Sample Menu and Prices:

Pheasant/Fowl Anything,
pork medallion dishes made from wild boar
Rib specials the night after she catches one,
fried fish,
fried chicken,
Fried pheasant,
stir fry,
various soups,
baked potato,
sweet potato,
fresh cookies,
Steppes Style Hot Soup
Meat pie
More Meat Pie
and light salads.

- The Private Room:

A sign on the heavy oak door leading to this room reads “No drunks beyond this point” and on entrance it becomes clear why as its furnished with several red velvet armchairs, a small library, a mini bar with choice drinks, a large golden harp of elven origin and a dark wood table that can seat eight on comfortable brown leather chairs. Four large crystal lamps fill the place with a pleasant bright light.
This place is reserved for the type of customers that like it quiet and for private meetings. The room’s usually locked but can be opened by Helga on request if a wealthy, civil looking customer asks for it (no charge) or hired from her (30 gold pieces for a day, includes a good meal and access to the mini bar).

-First Floor:

A total of twelve rooms are to be found here. 8 of them can house 2 people, 3 four and 1 5. They are not furnished luxuriously but are comfortable none the less. Apart from the duck feathered beds, each patron has access to his own chest, set of draws (keys to these two are provided with the room key when hired), closet and silver wash basin. The rooms are typically lit by small lamps and a warm bath can be called though it will cost an extra silver piece.

Prices/day:

2 people: 5 sp
4 people: 7 sp
5 people: 1 gp

Baths cost an extra silver piece.

Staff:

-Helga, female human 38 yo, Owner

The owner of the place, Helga is a tall, blond, muscular woman with a temper of equal proportions. Her ex occupation, that of an adventuring warrior, has left her blue eyed face and body with plenty of shallow scars and a general dislike for arcane mages whom she refers to as “paper brains”. She doesn’t, however, regret her adventuring days saying that “It be something that makes ya rich, both in the pocket and the noggin quick, if ya can survive the gore.” Today Helga has put her axe on the wall of her newly built inn and is hopeful that her new lifestyle will be just as productive, but less risky, then her old one.

Despite her apparently bitter personality, Helga actually has a soft core that she had to bury under layers of thick skin in order to survive on her adventures. So long as you don’t wreck her inn you will always be welcome to her place and if you have the mettle to be a successful adventurer she’s like to become a friend and will love listening to your stories.

Role playing tips:

- Towards strangers she’s bitter and laconic. To friends she’s warm, loud and cheerful
- She will generally keep her opinions to herself. If asked for advise regarding adventuring she will warn about the dangers, but say the that the rewards are ripe.
- Helga did not receive a proper education and learnt to read and write herself. Her manners are rough and definitely not civil but she tries her best.
- She will not tolerate any trouble makers for long

-Charlotte Conifer, cook

30-something female Halfling

"Behind every great tavern hostess, aside from the great or cheep booze, is a great cook. Charlotte isn't exactly the greatest, but dammit, she gets results! Surprisingly skinny for a halfling chef, the dark skinned, black haired woman is a sharp counter to Helga and Tilde in the looks department, but like Helga she can seem fierce, and temperamental. In fact she's more moody than the others, normally only jolly like a halfling when cooking, and can be something of a pill otherwise. She favors big hats (but not necessarily chef hats and has a trusty apron about her waist whether she's infront of a stove or hunting down something for her cooking pot before she shoots it with a crossbow or wings it with her cleaver.

Yes, you read that correctly. This halfling ranger is the younger sister of Crayce Conifer, known markswoman rogue who apparently lent to her younger sibling some of her skills. Charlotte however wasn't fond of the open road and quickly settled down (sort of) working for Helga after she opened the tavern, more content to hunt down wildlife and stray burglars than seek fortune on the open road. She shares some comradeship with Helga herself, though often the two have known to argue over the halfling's pay rate as a chef.

In that sense (as a chef), she's rather pragmatic but creative with her means of cooking. She keeps a garden for spice and tastes more than nutrition but she can make an occasional salad. Mostly she's a carnivore of tastes, and a little bit of violence. She has no problem catching her own meat, and in fact is something of a nite owl, sneaking out of the kitchen at Ass-Early O'clock to hunt, oftentimes sleeping rather late well past the crack of noon. This can cause the service quality to vary and since she's reluctant to change her ways she's tried to teach someone else how to cook, perhaps gain a sous-chef of sorts so her lazy ways don't mar the tavern's business...

-Tilde Sonneston

21, Female Human, waitress

"Kissed with fire," that was what the travelers would call sweet Tilde, and all of them know that that always means luck. Her distinct red hair, not to mention her fiery personality made her a favorite among the regular patrons of Helga's. She was shapely, and comely, and the type of sight that would make men swear that their drink is sweeter and fuller than what it truly was. And hey, she could sing as well. Never seen without her serving outfit, she could be found charming the drunk and the disorderly in Helga's place.

She could laugh with the men, and drink with the best of them. Her sense of humor falls between childish and bawdy. Service with a smile, is the one creed she lives by. It doesn't hurt to add a wink, either.

She was even born in a tavern. Her parents being adventurers themselves, Tilde was not unfamiliar with the setting. As a child, she would wander the land with her family, visiting unknown lands and having untold adventures - she never stayed at the same place the same week. But all that came to a halt, however. Sensing that the open road is not the best place for a child, her parents left them at the care of Helga.

Tilde's parents were friends of Helga's, and owe them a favor or three. So, although begrudgingly at first, Helga took Tilde under her wing. And that's why her smile now brighten the walls of Helga's place.

Tips:
- Think of her as the coolest big sis you never had.
- She has a sense of humor

Still need 1 more waiter!!

It's early summer and the earth underneath your feet is dry and powdery, rising in small clouds with each step you take under the large setting sun.
For those of you that still have vital signals the day, and journey, has been a long and lonely one. With a dry throat and a dust and sweat covered face the sight of new looking inn and tavern is a most welcome sight.
The heavy, ivy surrounded, door opens without a creak and a sign on it reads "Helgas' Crossroads, Inn and Tavern".
Inside you find the place to be spacious and new smelling, but quiet. No one else appears to be here apart from the bar-tender, a towering well muscled, blond woman that looks at you with sharp brown eyes.

"What do ya want at Helgas'?..." She asks in in a rasping, almost angry voice.
"...I have drinks, food and bunks if ya want. But no shabby activities at my place! I just opened and I brought an ol' friend ta help" she says pointing towards a fine looking great axe on the white wall behind her.

Go ahead and introduce your characters. :). Have fun everyone and good work!

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 03:43 AM
"hello Mam! Always a pleasure to meet new people! But alas today is not a day for food and drink. Perhaps a few years ago but not today, no, I am here on business. Tell me any adventuring shorts around here? Perhaps yourself!" This speach would be considered unusual from a normal person, coming from the mouth of a corpse it is much more so.

Orson looks around and then quickly walks over to a corner table and sits down.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-27, 10:34 AM
What would make a man wander the land? To forsake all semblance of normalcy and stability, to travel through the many knowns and unknowns of this vast majesty; why, indeed? Everyday is a battle to survive. Never knowing when you may find yourself stranded, cornered, hungry, thirsty, wounded, or left for dead. The answer is simple, of course, it was because of moments like these. A new sight everyday, and what common-folk would take for granted, wanderers would swear they were miracles. The prospect of a hot meal and warm bed tonight made Allard D'artigan smile from ear to ear.

Allard D'artigan was tired and hungry, also dirty. His gray robes heavy with dirt, and his tattered red cape more tattered than usual. He stumbled through the hall, knocking over a few chairs in the process, and then fell down on the floor with a thud. A few seconds later, he stood up with such quickness that he knocked over a few chairs once more.

"Sorry," he said. The man cleaned up after his mess, setting right the chairs that he knocked over. "Done." He glanced over the room, finding no one at first, then he saw one at a corner. Allard made his way towards him, and sat down with the stranger. He turned to the woman at the counter.

He called out to the obvious proprietor of the establishment, a heavy-set blond woman who was as scary as she was intimidating. "A mug of your coldest beer," he said with a smile, "and plate of your finest meat, madam, if you please."

Jair Barik
2009-07-27, 02:05 PM
Orson turns to see the newcomer. As he sits down near him he smiles a big toothy grin, widens his eyes to appear friendly (and fails miserably at doing so) and says "Good evening friend! What brings you to so fine and hospitable place this day? It would appear you are quite the adventurer no? Let me guess... A fellow wizard? One can always tell these things from the clothes a man wears and the weapons, or lack there of that he carries!"

tonberryking
2009-07-27, 02:55 PM
Acama

Someone nearby happens to be in possession of a scythe.

A large, straight shafted affair held together by mixed bands of iron, steel, and even mythril, this combat weapon currently has it's edged being honed by the burly she-dwarf sitting at the table closest to the bar. The dwarf has a knapsack with various tools spilled out over the table (and she doesn't seem to care if anyone questions this), a handful of them specifically in arm's reach as she cares for the damascus steel.

It's wavy, pooled patterns of discoloration gives the weapon a rather iconic, and deadly appearance, much like the dwarf herself. Word going round is she's called "The Thresher", she has straw blond hair braided into plaits, and isn't unattractive, but seeing that her left eye is red as a ruby, a rather evil looking thing, and that she has clothes of a similar dark color, it's easy to see why she's thus had a wide berth upon entering the bar. She's dangerous.

And she's giving a glance to the gray robed fellow, who has so recently knocked over a few empty chairs at her table (and the mug she carelessly left at the table's edge table. Just as her whetsone scrapes across the length of the scythe blade.

"Excuse me..."

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-28, 01:05 AM
Helga at Orson:

"Well ain't ya a cheery fella for someone who forgot to stay in his grave" She says almost grinning "You wanna know 'bout my adventurin'?... I been ta your place a' couple o' times. Didn't like it so I didn't stay, not worth it... But I be reckoning that ya disagree with that... Can I get ya something ta drink?"

Helga at Allard:

The blond woman gives you a steely blue look as you fall down "Yer alright there fella?" she asks as you get up, but doesn't expect wait for an answer once you place your order "Charlotte!" She yells towards the kitchen "Ya have an order for ya best dish, make it a good one too, this one needs his strength..." She turns to you "Are you sure ya should be drinkin'?" again she doesn't wait for you to answer and starts filling you a mug that Akama immediately recognizes as heavy Dwarven ale "There ya go. It'll be 6 coppers for the drink. Charlotte will tell ya how much her cookin' will cost ya..."

A note on the NPCs not created by me:

I will only be controlling the NPCs that I have created (atm just Helga), control of the others (Charlotte and Tilde) falls to their creators. Of course if you guyz aren't able to do so. I (or a volunteer) can rp them :-)

Martin

The braying of a donkey is heard from outside.

"C'mmon Menios!...I am as frustrated as you are...it's been a long day...Now see, its nice and clean here...Oh and what is this? Cool water! There we go...good boy!"*pause* "Finally! Now to...um...enter the tavern I...guess?"

Slowly the door opens and for a moment no one enters... Then a pipping shriek is heard and a large mottled brown, orange eyed owl flies into the spacious hall circling it.

"Iris, no! Get out! People may not like animals here!"

A shaken male human youth reluctantly enters through the half opened door closing it behind it. His dressed in simple, crude brown leather and his short black hair is a mess. With dusky green eyes he scans the ceiling looking for his bird which has decided to perch in a shadowy corner. He seems relieved for a moment but he freezes as he spots the towering woman behind the bar (and everyone else who's probably looking at him).

"Relax boy!" Booms Helga "Yer making a scene! Sit down! Relax and have a drink!"

Hearing these orders the youth mechanically obeys them, clumsily pulling a chair and sitting at the closest table to him, which turns out to be the biggest one.

"Me--Mea--Mead, Please..." he asks stuttering

"Done" Replies the bartender "That be 3 coppers...Boy? BOY!? Come pick it up!"

Nervously he runs up to the bar, drops the 3 coins, grabs his drink and runs back to his seat, all the time not looking anyone in the eyes.

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 03:39 AM
Orson jumps up and waves his arms about in the air. "Oh but that is where you are wrong Mi'lady. Kulk'Freth is a wonderful place full of wonderful people. Why once a man there said that he cursed me to live in interesting times and he was right! There is nothing more interesting than my home and I challenge any of you to say otherwise. The towers, the deeps it is all so wonderful. Even the surrounding countryside is full of excitement. A farmer tried to stop me on the my way here, said there'd been a murder or something... Regardless my business here is much more important than whatever he was saying."

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-28, 04:23 AM
Helga at Orson:

She smirks. "A place full o' wonderful dead people I'll wager. Had a 'friend' once said the same things as you once he turned into a...what was it? A ghoul? A ghast? A whight? Can't remember, most of ya look and smell the same once ya go through that necrormantic process of yours and near all think the same too, that being a lifeless meat bag is cool. But y' are different and harmless lookin' and soundin' enough..." she smiles "If that city of yours is so wonderful why have ye left it ta walk with the living?"

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 05:09 AM
Orson smiles and raises a finger "Because I am on a mission for my people! I am looking for adventurers to help me raid a Gnomish tomb in order to benefit my city. Of course the task itself is not one that requires an immediate solution and I was told that I can spend as much time as I like out here before completing it! The more the better they said as a matter of fact but such a task is best done quickly don't you think?

Orson turns to the boy who has recently entered the bar. "What about you boy! What brings you here this fine night?" He points at Martin then notices that his finger has become bent out of place and pushes it back in with a loud crunching noise.

Aquateenflayer
2009-07-28, 08:02 AM
Not so far outside the inn stumbles a starving kobold delirious with hunger. The smell of cooking meat has brought him to this place. He fears the people of this realm after a close encounter with an angry (not to mention rude)lumberjack left him with yet another scar. He slumps upon the wall near the door hidden by conveniently placed foliage.
An inner battle wages within his mind. The need to eat waring with his abject terror of the world. It takes but a moment for the pathetic creature to burst through the doors and scuttle over to a table in the corner of the room, His heart racing as he prays that no one has seen him.
'What luck' the little koblod thinks as he glances next to him to discover a pair of obviously dead legs. Knowing for a fact that humanoids are edible and lack the side effects associated with some of the roots and berries of the surface world he decides to take another risk. He latches his tiny hands around Orson's leg and takes a bite.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-28, 08:26 AM
"Oh, and how can I help the beautiful dwarven maiden sharpening that rather terrifying piece of farming-implement-gone-wrong by that corner there?"

"What's this I hear about a call to adventure?" said Allard. He took a drink from his cup, the sensation that coursed through him was satisfying and merciful. All was right in the world by a bit once more. He continued: "A city of dead, eh? Never been in one o' those."

When do you want Tilde to enter?

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-28, 08:33 AM
Martin at Orson and Faessir:

Clasping his left hand over his left ear, Martin fails to register the question asked by the undead man and seems lost in though as he looks into the swirling mead. Ever so slightly his ears twitch and he turns his attention towards the door and the strange creature that just entered.

Fascinated he watches it sneak towards the legs of a man and is astonished to see it take a bite. His even more astonished, and horrified, however, to note that the leg is a dead one...

"What in the world!?" rushing towards the little guy he grabs him and tries to pull him of the leg "No! Bad for you! Not healthy! Not good! You get sick if you eat that!"

Edit: Whenever Charlotte has finished cooking?? Or maybe she comes in to take orders? Up to you :)

Jair Barik
2009-07-28, 09:28 AM
"GAAAAA! No not again! Bad carcass eater BAD! Getitoffgetitoffgetitofff!!!!

Orson stands up and tries batting the creature off of his leg. He flails madly at it and then starts trying to hit his leg against the chair to try and brush it off.

BooNL
2009-07-28, 01:53 PM
Santos Zarr

"This ought to work." Santos thought as he adjusted his cloak. Checking the mirror in front of him, he flashed a wicked smile. He brushed back his long black hair and tied it in a tail with a small copper clasp. He checked his teeth and straightened his thin moustache with a finger.
When he decided he was ready, he stared straight into the mirror. Darkness seemed to engulf him and a shadow washed over his face. When it cleared, he looked different, more focused.
He flashed another smile, it was a smile that could make children cry and one that would make you sell your soul to the devil.

He locked his room behind him and climbed the flight of stairs, down into the common room. "Good evening Helga." He said as he stared at her with an intens focus. "You wouldn't happen to have another bottle of that sweet Terushian wine, would you?" He looked over the menu, seemingly oblivious to any other visitors. "I'll have the pork medallions with some sweet potatos as well."

He turned around and noticed the comedic spectacle taking place. "Filthy wizards." Santos thought as he stared at Orson and Allard. The rest of the visitors weren't any better. He was about to sit at a table as far away from the rest as possible when a thought struck him. Among his former enemies would be the last place they would search for him.

He walked up to the table where Martin was seated. "This is better entertainment than that horrible gnome up on stage last night." He laughed a disturbingly hollow laugh.

When you think of Santos, think of a very creepy used car salesmen that has made a deal with the devil.

He is basically permanently effected by Beguiling Influence and See the Unseen. Which gives him +6 to diplomacy, bluff and intimidate as well as See Invisibility and Darkvision.

tonberryking
2009-07-28, 06:17 PM
Acama
OOC:
Hey Nebu, which red do you want? Dark or Regular? I kinda like regular for Acama myself but I'll go with either...

Patiently waiting for some modicum of order to be restored, though she gives Helga a look between her and the kobold, as if she needs to know if it needs taking care of, Acama finally speaks up, "Well, for starters, Shardshear doesn't like being called a farmin' tool." she utters, more words strung together than she has in a week, And secondly, you knocked over my lager ale..." Running a thumb along the now razor sharp edge, Acama picks up a rage with metal dust littered over it's surface and begins to give the terrifying thing a sheen. Not throw it or try to stick it in anyone's gut. The way she directed that at Allard, the statement seems rather as a matter of fact, not "prepare to die." However that red eye of hers gives

And then the kitchen doors explode open, a dark, tiny slip of a halfling (even by their standards) with a strawberry pink apron and "puffy" hat, both slightly smeared with grease or stains from food, having the surprising force required to shove open the doors. While swinging around a cleaver.

"What?? Someone audacious or brave enough's askin' for the Meat Style version of the Steppes Style hot stew? How much's he got, ha?" She looks up at Helga, her hat large enough to be seen over the counter, giving the impression a giant pink marshmallow is yelling at the proprietor for anyone who can't see her directly.

Aquateenflayer
2009-07-28, 09:01 PM
" Ahhhh! Carcass Eaters!" The Kobold yells as he unlatches from the undead flesh. He throws his hands into the air begins screaming in a pitch that only dogs can hear.
Groping for his cross bow which he hid outside with the rest of his stuff he lets out a curse in draconic. Desperate he dives under another table and grabs a spoon which he points threateningly at anyone who comes near him. Shaking like a leaf all the while.

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-28, 11:14 PM
"Ah well, terribly sorry there, to you and the, er, scythe," said the wizard to the scary dwarf. He stood up and took a bow. He said: "Allow me, Allard D'artigan, the Red Wizard, to make it up to you. How about a song, eh? I'm no bard, but I can sing a mean rendition of the song The Twin Queens, and the One Goblet."

When the halfling burst out of nowhere asking everyone about the stew, Allard somehow figured she was talking about him. He raised his hand hesitantly, and said meekly, "Er, me, ma'am."

I will go with dark.

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-29, 04:05 AM
Helga at Charlotte and Allard:

"It be him Charla" she says pointing at Allard "He's all yours" she smiles near wickedly as she finishes her sentence.

Is it okay TBK if Helga calls Charlotte Charla??

Martin at Orson:

The fleeing reptilian causes Martin to lose his balance and fall on his behind in front of the dead-living man...

"Um..." he seems to want to say something, but eventually decides against it.

Quickly he gets up, straightens his clothes and returns to his mead all the time clasping his left ear.

Martin at Faessir:

"Little guy, if you want food just ask"

Martin at Allard:

At the mention of song, the youths face brightens up

"Yes, do sing!" he says somewhat excited "Sometimes I start to believe that I am losing the memory of sound..."

Jair Barik
2009-07-29, 09:05 AM
"Ah music, music always reminds me of home, I'm a sentimental fool at heart really you know, regardless of when it stopped beating..."

He sits back down again but looks carefully under the table for further "dogs" and eyes the room carefully.

tonberryking
2009-07-29, 08:37 PM
"Charla", or rather the big pink hat bobs towards Allard threateningly.

"Rockin'," she apparently can see him. "It costs a silver anna' half but you'll know where that half goes to when it's done. Helga, have that no-good waitress fetch 'im a pitcher of cold water for a side dish. This'll be my night's masterpiece, ha~!"

And with that the pink hat trundles back into the kitchen, apparently oblivious to anything else, even the kobold's vain attempt to find edible vittles.

Acama, however, is less than impressed, as she repeats two words to him: "Lager. Ale." and returns to polishing her weapon, with an occaisional red-eyed glance fixed on him.

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-30, 05:29 AM
Helga at Tilde:

Helgas' chest heaves as she takes a deep breath before unleashing a tremendous roar

"Tilde! If yer still brushin that pretty fire 'ead of yours I swear to the gods that I'll cleave it with Last Chance here! Get down here!"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-30, 10:17 AM
"Good morning to you too, Helga," said Tilde Sonneston, her voiced dipped in honey.

The fire-headed girl walked towards the patrons, a serving plate on one hand, and the other on her hip. The way she walked, the sway, the ease of which she handled the items, told everyone of her expertise. She stopped in front of the wizard's table.

She wore the outfit befit her position, a brown dress and a white tunic underneath it. An apron served to tie the whole affair together. With her beauty, it made her look like a pauper princess.

"So, you're the one who asked for the stew, eh?" she said to the mage with the red cape. She looked at him, appraising the man. She shook her head. "It's a shame, really. You're kinda cute." She set down the pitcher of water and the glass that came with it. The look of disappointment never left her face. As she was leaving, she said some parting words: "Whatever you do, do not pinch your nose. It's not a good idea."

Duty done, she left the table, and went towards Helga. It was always a thrill to talk to Helga: you're either going to walk away a shivering wreck or laughing your head off. I wonder which one will it be today?

"Strange lot we have here today," said the girl, surveying the room. A smile was on her face. "Then again, we always have strange lots here."

Jair Barik
2009-07-30, 01:31 PM
Orson turns to Martin and begins talking, though it is unclear if he is only addressing the nervous man or the room in general.

"Tell me, what do you know of sanctified ground?"

Rising Phoenix
2009-07-31, 08:58 AM
Helga at Tilde:

"Good morning?! Lass the sun will be going to bed soon... Then again you're more of a vixen then a human..."

Martin at Santos:

Every now and then you are under the impression that the youth gives you brief glances. He seems to be made nervous by your presence, that or its just the overtly friendly undead man prancing around...

OOC
: I am waiting for Nebu to post his characters song as it will sorta open up Martin enough to reveal his problem.

Apart from that yeah this post is basically a bump up. C'mon people lets pick up the pace a bit. :-) (Oh wait its the weekend again...Well after the weekend again)

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-31, 10:48 AM
Allard D'artigan met Tilde Sonneston. While he didn't manage to not look like a total idiot, at least he kept his tongue inside his mouth. After a few seconds of silence, he stood up and put one foot up a chair.

He cleared his throat, and sung (rather horribly):
Twin of two maidens fair, danced along the Mere,
Naught but skin they wear, a kiss, a kiss they share.
Men would travel, oh yes they did, to watch and hope,
That perhaps, perhaps, they could with them elope.
With open arms the two would embrace:
The foolish, the desperate, the Adonis, the plain of face.
Their beauty was a sweet lie, of this is told,
A horrible fate await to the foolish and the bold.

Allard was thirsty. He took a long drink, and said: "It's not The King is Alive, but, you know."

Jair Barik
2009-07-31, 10:59 AM
Having listened to the song Orson looks puzzled and asked Allard a question. "What does it mean? I'm sorry but I just don't understand what the song is about. It is not about adventure or about the Gods or about Freth, I am sorry but it seems to have no meaning whatsoever!"

tonberryking
2009-07-31, 11:17 AM
Acama

"..Sounds like a tragic ballad or some mummery bards get coin with..." the dwarf offers, waiting for that ale still as she methodically repacks her tools, Shardshear having had it's maintenance performed. Even as atypical a dwarf as she is, Acama doesn't have much appreciation for lyrical poetry (as the one dwarven song sung in the Jagged Spire halls with any popularity or practice amounts to a slightly more complicated variant of "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall.") Still.. she's moderately curious..."Where'd you hear something like tha, anyway?"

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-07-31, 02:55 PM
"Well," said the wizard. He had heard the complaint lodged by Martin. "It's because it's not a song of heroism and deed, it's a morality tale. One that serves to teach wisdom through confusing metaphors. Admittedly, in hindsight, it is a horrible one. Well, I shall see to it that the bard in question shall know that it is in fact horrible."

"If it's adventure you seek, however, know that this is not the only song I have knowledge of." He sat down, sighed, and took a drink. His face turned to a shade of sadness. "Yes, later. I am hungry, though. Where is that stew?"

Rising Phoenix
2009-08-01, 08:28 PM
Martin at Allard:

Keenly the young man listens to the song trying to follow it with both his ears. It is clear, however, that he's becoming more and more frustrated...

"No! No! No!" he cries at the end "Sound isn't meant to be faint and dull. It's a vibrant tapestry that flows through ones being, vibrates through their soul and enlightens them to the state of things...And I am losing that sense...I am losing it because that...thing (?) stole it from me... I must get it back...I must have it back for the world is a duller place without it..."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-01, 08:49 PM
"Huh," said the wizard with a cocked eyebrow. "Stole it from you? You mean your hearing?" The mage stood up, and walked towards the man. He leaned over observing the curious fellow. And suddenly clapped his hands near his ear.

"How'd that work?" asked the mage.

Rising Phoenix
2009-08-02, 12:58 AM
"Huh," said the wizard with a cocked eyebrow. "Stole it from you? You mean your hearing?" The mage stood up, and walked towards the man. He leaned over observing the curious fellow. And suddenly clapped his hands near his ear.

"How'd that work?" asked the mage.

The youth jumps a little as the mage claps his hands and it takes a few moments before he speaks

"It's not that I can't hear...it's sort of like...um..." he struggles with the description"...like...like having your ears blocked with water...but there is no buzzing. It's as if all sound is becoming fainter less vibrant, as if my ear... only my left one seems affected... as if my ear eats the sound preventing me from enjoying it completely. Sometimes it feels that I have something living in the ear...perhaps that 'thing' implanted something...but I am not sure...it was close to my home too..."

Nebuchadnezzer
2009-08-02, 02:45 AM
"Indeed?" said the wizard. "Very interesting. Something that warrants further research, I believe. Describe this creature to me. The where and the how, tell me."

Jair Barik
2009-08-02, 02:59 AM
"very curious, have you any idea how to cure it? I myself am also on a quest of sorts you see, to collect the contents of a tomb that my masters are interested in"

BooNL
2009-08-03, 05:49 AM
Santos

The dark shaded man just sat with a smile on his face, listening to Allard's song. It was horrible, ofcourse, but he could see the irony in the situation.
He found himself surprised by his own thoughts and logic. Here he was, surrounded by wizards, necromancers and dwarves and he was enjoying himself.

When Martin reveals his affliction, Santos moves up to him, pushing Allard out of the way. "Let me see. If this curse upon you is magical in nature, I should be able to sense it." As he says this, his eyes flicker and turn a dark golden shade. He stares intently at Martin as he attemps to find any traces of magic.

Using Detect Magic to see if Martin's silence it magical in nature.

[roll0]

Rising Phoenix
2009-08-03, 08:41 AM
Martin:

The young man seems to be a bit surprised by the sudden amount of attention receiving and starts to get a bit nervous...but he tries his best to answer the question posed to him...

@ Allard:

"I was traveling next to a mossy stream when everything started to turn silent. The birds around me moved their beaks as they sang but no noise came out, the stream, wind and even my breath all fell silent... Then from beneath an ancient mossy tree luminescence tendrils started to snake their way towards me. The lichens parted to reveal a...yellow snail like creature, it had no eyes, no mouth just a shell with tentacles pouring out of it. I was fascinated and terrified and though I willed my feet to move, but they didn't bulge. It started to touch, search my skin. After finding my left ear it withdrew its tentacles for an instance and I thought it was leaving. But then it jabbed at my ear swiftly, it felt as if my ear drum had been punctured by a blade and I fell silently screaming onto the ground... When I came to be it was no more and my ears felt fine...but not anymore..."

@ Santos:

"Um...if you must..."

The affliction is of supernatural nature and of no spell that you've ever come across. Looking into his ear your magic detecting vision reveals several ethereal like, pale yellow mucus strands deep within

Jair Barik
2009-08-03, 08:56 AM
"How novel! I have never heard of anything like that before. If you were to come with me to Kulk'Freth I know a number of people who would be interested in it. Tell me, how attached are you to your ear?"

I have no idea what it is and am not expecting you to come to KulkFreth as part of a quest to get it cured, this is purely roleplaying :smallwink:

tonberryking
2009-08-03, 09:37 AM
As the dwarf orders an ale for herself (she just casually mentions to Helga Allard's paying...) the kitchen doors eventually creak open as the pink hat returns, Charlotte fussing at Tilde to be careful with the small pot she's carrying: a steam geyser, the little black pot holds within it a ruddy golden stew with potato and onions mixed (very) sparingly with cubed and sliced meats that give off a spicy aroma. It's texture is also creamy, almost a hot boiling sauce rather than a watery concoction. It bubbles at the wizard when plunked down in front of him.

If you try to eat more than one bite at a time, there's a DC 15 fort save or you feel like your mouth's set on fire. It'll take more than one pitcher to fix that.

Charlotte doesn't return to the kitchen, however, as she looks up at Allard expectantly.

Rising Phoenix
2009-08-04, 09:37 PM
"How novel! I have never heard of anything like that before. If you were to come with me to Kulk'Freth I know a number of people who would be interested in it. Tell me, how attached are you to your ear?"

(OOC: :smallbiggrin: )

Martin looks at Orso with a horrified and somewhat disgusted expression

"Very attached!"he says alarmed, clasping his ear

(OOC: is everything alright people? RL catching up? A bit slow round here)

Jair Barik
2009-08-05, 03:47 AM
OOC:i'm ready to go whenever anyone else is either as DM or player but it should be noted I'll be away a bit soon.

Aquateenflayer
2009-08-05, 03:48 PM
Having been several minutes of no one trying to attack him and having seen a dwarf (The natural friends of kobolds where he's from) the kobold calms down a bit. He walks out of the tavern retrieving his bulging backpack. Even to a casual onlooker it is obvious that this koblod is a craftsman of some sort. Tools and oddly shaped pieces of metal clank around as he returns to the inn and scurries up a nearby chair.
With a better view of the building he recognizes it as some sort of eatery. He flags down the large woman behind the counter as he pulls the last of his wages from the mine and makes an eating gesture with the spoon he pilfered. Having screamed his voice out he hopes the human will understand his intentions.

drakir_nosslin
2009-08-07, 04:35 AM
A bit down the road a dust cloud can be seen approaching the inn and soon the shape of a horse and its rider is clear. The horse is a large chestnut and for those who know anything about animals it is clear that it is bred for combat. The rider appears to be human and is clad in some sort of uniform, though it is tattered and the once bright blue and silver colors are faded. His broad shoulders and arms reveals a strenght beyond that of most men and in his eyes there is a determination rarely seen. The rider halts outside the inn and dismounts, taking care not to bump his head in the massive pommel of the sword he carries on his back. After having tided his horse to a nearby pole the man takes a drink from his waterskin and pours the remains over his face, washing away the dirt from the road.
"It was longer than I thought, but now we're here, right boy." He strokes the horse over the neck. "I'll go and find you somethign to eat and a place to sleep."
The man steps inside the inn, blinking a few times to let his eyes adjust to the light in the room and then heads towards the bar. Nodding towards the blond woman behind it, he introduces himself.
"Greetings, I take it that you work here, correct? I happen to have a horse outside and he has carried me a long way now. How much would it cost to give him a place to rest and something to eat for a day and a night?"

Rising Phoenix
2009-08-07, 08:54 AM
Helga at the Kobold: (soz don't remember his name and can't be bothered looking it up :smallredface:)

"Speak, little guy" she says sternly "I can't mind read. What food do you want?"

Helga at newly arrived rider:

"2 coppers, big guy and you can stay here for another 5 silvers" she says casually while pouring you a cold beer "Here ya go, it's on the house...It's rare these days ta see a fellow warrior..."

drakir_nosslin
2009-08-09, 09:28 AM
The warrior picks up the beer and drinks deeply. "And it is rare to find such hospitality when travelling like I do. Thank you. I will be staying for a while, take this for future drinks as well and tell me when I have eaten up its worth." He hands Helga a gold piece and takes another sip.
"Oh, I forget my manners completely, my name is John Archer, I'm from Konai, a city state far to the east, you might have heard of it?"

Jair Barik
2009-08-11, 11:36 AM
"Well sitting around all day will get us all nowhere! I admit that perhaps I feel the urge for adventure more than some of you probably because I can't really get any pleasure from food or sleep anymore but the truth is that none of problems will be solved by moping around. Who's with me!!!"

OOC: I'm happy to do the ear quest or to DM my quest. Either way lets get this show on the road!