PDA

View Full Version : SyFy Original Movies that don't Suck

Berserk Monk
2009-07-27, 10:02 PM
As much as it is an oxymoron, are there any SyFy original movies that weren't horrible?

Rutskarn
2009-07-27, 10:04 PM
No. whitext

kpenguin
2009-07-27, 10:05 PM
Does the two-part Farscape one count?

Rutskarn
2009-07-27, 10:06 PM
Does the two-part Farscape one count?

I'd say no.

Starscream
2009-07-27, 10:15 PM
Beyond Re-Animator.

That's the only one. I just looked up a list. And even then you are much better off with the R rated DVD. The safe-for-tv version loses a lot of the squicktastic humor those films are known for.

Edit:
Just looked it up and they didn't even make that one, just distributed it. So it probably doesn't count either.

Jimor
2009-07-27, 11:42 PM
I accidentally predicted the "Volcano Attacks New York" one. I was joking with a friend about how bad they were, and tried to come up with a premise too ridiculous for even THEM to ever use...

You can picture how far my jaw dropped a few months later when I saw the promo for it. :smalleek:

Renrik
2009-07-28, 12:15 AM
This will be a short thread.

The Glyphstone
2009-07-28, 12:21 AM
Followup threads in the making:

-Oceans that aren't Wet.
-Spheres that aren't Round.
-Druids who don't take Natural Spell.

pita
2009-07-28, 12:38 AM
This will be a short thread.

That just reminded me of the list of great Jewish athletes in Airplane!. The list of good ScyFy movies, the list of intelligent Terry Goodkind sayings, the list of Mum-Rah and the Muggles fans...

Mando Knight
2009-07-28, 12:42 AM
-Druids who don't take Natural Spell.

Oh, that one's easy: Druids at levels lower than 6. :smalltongue:

Renrik
2009-07-28, 12:42 AM
the time has come to end this. This thread is over.

Alteran
2009-07-28, 12:44 AM
Oh, that one's easy: Druids at levels lower than 6. :smalltongue:

You know what's an easy list to compile? Perfectionist, self-righteous, holier-than-thou platinum dragons. :smalltongue: Nothing personal, of course.

Philistine
2009-07-28, 01:53 AM
You know what's an easy list to compile? Perfectionist, self-righteous, holier-than-thou platinum dragons. :smalltongue: Nothing personal, of course.

Yeah, but he actually is holier than thou art, by definition. :smallwink:

RTGoodman
2009-07-28, 02:08 AM
Hey, I LIKE Sci-Fi/SyFy Original Movies. I mean, they're not "good," but I have fun watching them. :smallbiggrin: I mean, in the past two-three weeks I've watched "Thor: Hammer of the Gods," "Malibu Shark Attack," and something with Dawson from "Dawson's Creek" fighting a giant lake squid, and had loved every minute of watching and ridiculing. I've yet to see one that was unwatchable. (Of course, I've seen "Scarecrow Slayer" and "Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter," so my definition of "watchable" might be a little skewed.)

Also, "Mammoth" had Summer Glau, and that means it HAD to be good. :smallamused: Also, Wikipedia lists "Cube 2: Hypercube" as one, and that was, well, actually pretty good, I guess. Better than the piece of crap that was "Cube: Zero," at least.

Icewalker
2009-07-28, 02:26 AM
Well, there's at least one chupacabra movie which includes John Rhys-Davies. I doubt it was any good though.

I just really want to see Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus...

toasty
2009-07-28, 02:47 AM
Well, there's at least one chupacabra movie which includes John Rhys-Davies. I doubt it was any good though.

I just really want to see Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus...

I watched half of that... it wasn't that good.

Bhu
2009-07-28, 06:06 AM
Didnt they do Dog Soldiers? It was okay.

Warpfire
2009-07-28, 06:12 AM
Personally I think this thread would have been much better if it was just the first two posts and a lock.

But to add one more voice to the chorus: nope, no good original movies. And coming down with SyFylis hasn't helped.

Edit: @above: If I recall correctly Sci-Fi didn't make Dog Soldiers.

Comet
2009-07-28, 06:20 AM
The name SyFy cracks me up everytime I see it.
They're trying so hard to be hip and cool. But they still end up looking like a huge failure. :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-28, 07:18 AM
I always just assumed that the point of Sci-Fi original movies was for them to suck. Punishing themselves for letting MST3K go.

The name SyFy cracks me up everytime I see it.
They're trying so hard to be hip and cool. But they still end up looking like a huge failure. :smallbiggrin:

What's really sad is that in the past few times I've seen their daily line-up they seem to be swinging back to actually showing Science Fiction and anime. So for all the bluster about trying to get away from the "stigma associated with Sci-Fi" they're coming right back after biting the hand that feeds them...

Serpentine
2009-07-28, 07:48 AM
If "SyFy" is something other than a weird-arse way of saying "SciFi", ignore the following and please explain?

Oh please. There are heaps of good (or at worst mediocre, depending on taste) sci-fi films.

Not a film, but most of the old Twilight Zone episodes.
The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Okay, you're lucky. I just Wikid SyFy before finishing my list. Y'all were in for an arse-kickin' :smallyuk: Proper response: No idea, never heard of it 'til now :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 07:55 AM
They actually went through with that name change? I hoped that was just a bad rumor.

I hate all of the rebranding lately. Court TV is now TRU TV.

TRU IS NOT A WORD. TRUE. TRUE. YOU USED TO BE ONE OF THE MOST LITERATE CHANNELS, DON'T FAIL ME LIKE THIS.

AND THAT SHOW THAT HAS RANDOM PEOPLE MAKING DUMB SNARKY COMMENTS ABOUT ARRESTS IS TERRIBLE.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-28, 08:02 AM
They actually went through with that name change? I hoped that was just a bad rumor.

Yup, been about two weeks now. SyFy: Imagine Greater. :smallsigh: (now here's your ECW, you Sci-Fi geek...)

Sad part is, like I said before, they actually seem to be showing more Sci-Fi these days: Star Trek, X-Files, Gundam (admittedly, they're showing it in like, 8 hour blocks, but it's a step forward...) and they've actually somehow managed to keep one of their own original shows on for more than 3episodes without switching the airing time...maybe it's a sign of the end times...

WalkingTarget
2009-07-28, 08:18 AM

TRU IS NOT A WORD. TRUE. TRUE. YOU USED TO BE ONE OF THE MOST LITERATE CHANNELS, DON'T FAIL ME LIKE THIS.

AND THAT SHOW THAT HAS RANDOM PEOPLE MAKING DUMB SNARKY COMMENTS ABOUT ARRESTS IS TERRIBLE.

The thing about this is that "SciFi" and "Court" are not trademarkable terms. "SyFy" and "Tru" probably are (or even if it's not necessarily a matter of trademark, it's easier for them to establish a brand with a name that's not so generic). I'm just amazed that the former channel is still mostly science fiction/fantasy programming. A lot specialty channels from the 90s have shifted towards the same generic crap. Remember when Bravo was a fine arts channel? Now it's pop culture/reality shows. :smallmad:

Swordlol
2009-07-28, 08:22 AM
They still haven't made my movie yet: Sharks that can swim in air and breathe in air.

I'm still proud of myself for thinking of something so bad - not even SyFy/SciFi can make it happen.

The sad part is, some of their movies, actually have (had?) potential if they just stopped doing "lets pick some random animal and make it 5 times bigger and nastier". I can't recall if that Heatwave movie was a SciFi original, from the beginning part I saw, I thought it was decent.... did it get worse from that point on?

Vaire
2009-07-28, 09:09 AM
The only decent sci-fi original I have ever seen was the Cube 2 movie. I never saw the first one. Sci-fi originals hold the same appeal as the Lifetime movie of the week: they're horrible movies you can laugh at and watch while reading a book at the same time.

I find it amusing that a channel with such a horrible movie department can make original shows that I love so much (for example: Eureka, Stargate, Farscape, etc.).

I refuse to refer to it as SyFy. Looks like the name of a pharmaceutical.

Krrth
2009-07-28, 09:15 AM
The only decent sci-fi original I have ever seen was the Cube 2 movie. I never saw the first one. Sci-fi originals hold the same appeal as the Lifetime movie of the week: they're horrible movies you can laugh at and watch while reading a book at the same time.

I find it amusing that a channel with such a horrible movie department can make original shows that I love so much (for example: Eureka, Stargate, Farscape, etc.).

....they didn't make Stargate, they just picked up the license after showtime dropped it. To be fair, they DID make Atlantis though.

Oh, and SyFy sounding like a pharmaceutical? It's worse than that (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/syf)....

JMobius
2009-07-28, 09:22 AM
The only decent sci-fi original I have ever seen was the Cube 2 movie. I never saw the first one.

I'm pretty sure the Cube series were not Syfy originals. The original one was also actually really good.

The Lost Room :smallsigh:

Vaire
2009-07-28, 09:26 AM
The Lost Room :smallsigh:

Oh yes! I completely forgot about that one. It was excellent.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 09:28 AM

Tremors the Series.

And SyFy? I laugh every time I hear it because it reminds me of a certain disease...

What bugs me in Cartoon Network.

Cartoon Network Real to be more specific.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-28, 09:30 AM
Tremors the Series.

Was just about to mention that.

And SyFy? I laugh every time I hear it because it reminds me of a certain disease...

SyFyllis: Catch It!

Didn't they finally realize that maybe what they were doing was a bad idea and put a stop to the rebranding?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 09:35 AM
Didn't they finally realize that maybe what they were doing was a bad idea and put a stop to the rebranding?

I don't think so. The few times I tune in anymore (they've gotten rid of most of their good shows, I only really tune in for [adult swim] anymore) I still see commercials proclaiming "CN Real" and advertising all those stupid reality shows.

I did get a laugh from the Survival one though. The host constantly contradicts himself. "You won't see me again very often."

"I'll be showing up every now and then."

"This isn't a game show, there aren't prizes or contests."

"Ok, so split into two teams, boys and girls. Build a shelter. The winning team gets a prize."

And sometimes I wonder if he's sane. He once took all the kids lighters and matches saying that they would likely not have them. And yet there were like 10 kids, and they all had at least one fire starting apparatus. I think some had more.

EDIT: I don't know if they actually plan on changing their name though. I hope to god not though, they can still redeem themselves! (Bring back Chowder.)

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 09:37 AM

I only watch TV when someone else has it on. Please don't tell me it's become Nickelodeon.

Jalor
2009-07-28, 09:51 AM
Also, "Mammoth" had Summer Glau, and that means it HAD to be good. :smallamused:

True. Or should I say Tru?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 09:51 AM
I only watch TV when someone else has it on. Please don't tell me it's become Nickelodeon.

Not by my definition. It has, however, gained about 6 reality shows (which A) I think are scripted anyway and B)half of them are clones of reality shows on Discovery and such).

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 10:18 AM
Not by my definition. It has, however, gained about 6 reality shows (which A) I think are scripted anyway and B)half of them are clones of reality shows on Discovery and such).

Ugh... This is why I don't watch TV anymore. I just get DVDs of good shows.

True. Or should I say Tru?

...-lights you on fire-

Jamin
2009-07-28, 10:26 AM
Some of them are So bad their good but from what I have seen those are even few and far between.

Mr.Moron
2009-07-28, 10:39 AM
[Insert Animal Name Here]

Muz
2009-07-28, 10:56 AM

"Next on SyFy... 'GIRAFFES'!" :smalleek:

(..."Giraffic Park?")

I still have to nominate "Mansquito" for this thread, if only because the title is just way too fun to say. :smallcool:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 10:58 AM

Naxxramas Giraffe?

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 10:59 AM

Rooster? Donkey?

I think we've officially answered the OP's question and discussion is getting off topic. I say we rename it something to the effect of "SyFy and other channels ruining TV" or something to the effect of the effect of that. I know what I said.

Winter_Wolf
2009-07-28, 11:05 AM
Cartoon Network is dead to me. Or maybe it's just plain dead. Sadly, SciFi channel is heading that way too. My first thought seeing their rename was 'What the freak?' Bodes ill, since I've failed to see any of the older shows that I liked on it lately, which were only shown on that channel anyway. At least I don't have to wrestle with the idea of not watching tv when I should be working. (Self employed work at home, gotta love it!)

Edit: Oh yeah, to try and stay near topic: There aren't any. SciFi shouldn't try to do original movies, because scifi is usually bad with a *decent* budget, which I'm sure their network doesn't have allocated to their movies.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-28, 11:18 AM
Bodes ill, since I've failed to see any of the older shows that I liked on it lately, which were only shown on that channel anyway.

Tell me about it. I've only liked 3 of SyFy's (*snickers*) series, and I have the same problem.

Tremors? They axed it, despite getting good ratings, IIRC.

Doctor Who? They lost the license to air it first, not sure if they can still air it after BBCA. Doesn't matter though, because now we have Direct TV which comes with the BBCA.

Eureka? They give it a god-awful time slot, in my opinion. Mainly because I can't remember. Good thing Direct TV has 'autotune'.

Rutskarn
2009-07-28, 11:24 AM
This might be my new favorite thread.

Krrth
2009-07-28, 11:27 AM
Tell me about it. I've only liked 3 of SyFy's (*snickers*) series, and I have the same problem.

Tremors? They axed it, despite getting good ratings, IIRC.

Doctor Who? They lost the license to air it first, not sure if they can still air it after BBCA. Doesn't matter though, because now we have Direct TV which comes with the BBCA.

Eureka? They give it a god-awful time slot, in my opinion. Mainly because I can't remember. Good thing Direct TV has 'autotune'.

Indeed, I find myself watching BBC America far more than that I do the channel formally known as Sci-Fi.

Ever since they started days of nothing but Ghost Hunters, I guess.

zyphyr
2009-07-28, 12:00 PM
I want "Land Shark vs Sea Squirrel"

Mr.Moron
2009-07-28, 12:03 PM
Rooster? Donkey?

I think we've officially answered the OP's question and discussion is getting off topic. I say we rename it something to the effect of "SyFy and other channels ruining TV" or something to the effect of the effect of that. I know what I said.

Sure, why not. I'm sure there can be some kind of secret government experiment involving poultry. Of course the experiment invariably goes wrong and turns the rooster humongous and gives it a voracious appetite for bad actors.

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-28, 12:05 PM
Sure, why not. I'm sure there can be some kind of secret government experiment involving poultry. Of course the experiment invariably goes wrong and turns the rooster humongous and gives it a voracious appetite for bad actors.

Give me a camera, $500 US, some bored actors, and three hours.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:09 PM
Give me a camera, $500 US, some bored actors, and three hours.

I'm bored, I need money, I have three hours to spend, and I did a really good skit in AP Psychology in High School. Pick me! Pick me!

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-28, 12:16 PM
I'm bored, I need money, I have three hours to spend, and I did a really good skit in AP Psychology in High School. Pick me! Pick me!

You're already better qualified than most of the actors in SyFy Original Movies...

...how do you feel about being devoured by a giant plastic rooster?

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:37 PM
You're already better qualified than most of the actors in SyFy Original Movies...

...how do you feel about being devoured by a giant plastic rooster?

Ooh. I can keep really small earbuds in and headbang to my MP3 player so that it looks like I'm shaking as the monster tosses me around from side to side, when really I'm getting it on to Michelle Branch.

Dervag
2009-07-28, 12:41 PM
The thing about this is that "SciFi" and "Court" are not trademarkable terms. "SyFy" and "Tru" probably are (or even if it's not necessarily a matter of trademark, it's easier for them to establish a brand with a name that's not so generic).Yeah. So?

The History Channel cannot trademark history. That does not mean they should change their name to the Hystery Chonnul so that they can copyright the resulting misspelling.

I'm just amazed that the former channel is still mostly science fiction/fantasy programming. A lot specialty channels from the 90s have shifted towards the same generic crap. Remember when Bravo was a fine arts channel? Now it's pop culture/reality shows. :smallmad:We may be seeing a cyclic phenomenon:

Start: There are X major channels and nothing on. All channels which show essentially the same kind of stuff.

Crisis: With X major channels, the audience of actual TV watchers is getting split X ways, and since all the channels are more or less the same, none of them has any way to increase their market share beyond 1/X of the total.

Sudden change: Hey, more channels are available for TV broadcasts!

Solution to Crisis: We can now introduce new channels with specialty programming. The new channels will be far more appealing to their target market than any of the X major generic channels, which lets us (the company that owns a major channel and some of the new specialties) make more money from advertising!
______

Sweet, right? Now the company grows, until the individual channels are practically major businesses in their own right and there's no coherent central direction. Then we get the next stages:

Problem: I, the specialty channel, am losing market share. People complain that they don't like my programming as much as they used to- this may be because I lost some good shows, or because I screwed up, or because my original loyal fanbase is moving out of my target demographic.

Solution: Hire marketing staff to look at the population and figure out what will appeal to people!
______

But that brings us back to where we started. All the marketing executives are looking at the same set of data, because there is only one set of all TV viewers for them to appeal to. Over time, all the marketing departments start to gravitate toward the same solution: a routine of generic programming that attracts the maximum possible number of people. Go back to the beginning, but substitute "10X channels and nothing on" for "X channels and nothing on."

Athaniar
2009-07-28, 12:47 PM
I haven't really seen a lot of movies from this channel, but Komodo vs. Cobra was good, in a "so good it's bad" way. Also, Tin Man was pretty good, too, if you count miniseries. And what about the second D&D movie? I haven't seen it myself (but I will as soon as I can get hold of it), but I've heard it's good.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:51 PM
The History Channel cannot trademark history. That does not mean they should change their name to the Hystery Chonnul so that they can copyright the resulting misspelling.

Oh god, please don't give them ideas. Please. The channel already barely has history on it.

I remember when we used to turn that channel on in school for a class or two after we finished a testing period.

Dervag
2009-07-28, 12:56 PM
Better they should make a clean break with legitimacy than try to cling to it while simultaneously trying to turn into the "UFOs are real- OR ARE THEY?" channel.

Mr.Moron
Oh god, please don't give them ideas. Please. The channel already barely has history on it.

I remember when we used to turn that channel on in school for a class or two after we finished a testing period.

What? UFOs & The Sasquatch are very important historical topics. Especially the Sasquatches riding the UFOs that will bring the apocalypse. It will be just as Nostradamus prophesied.

WalkingTarget
Yeah. So?

I didn't say it was a good idea or that I'd choose to go that route if I was in charge, but that doesn't mean that some marketing department/focus group/chimp at a typewriter won't come up with it anyway. "Kids these days seem to like things that are misspelled. Let's see what we can do with that." Frankly, I'm surprised that when The Nashville Network rebranded itself a few years ago that they used a standard English word (though "Spike" was chosen in what I'm assuming was an attempt to sound cool to their target audience).

I think your description of the cable channel development cycle is pretty good.

RTGoodman
2009-07-28, 12:58 PM
Better they should make a clean break with legitimacy than try to cling to it while simultaneously trying to turn into the "UFOs are real- OR ARE THEY?" channel.

Well, at least the UFOs are interesting - I'm friggin' tired of all the crap about Hitler and WWII they show continuously. Seriously, how much of the same stuff can they possible have to show? :smallyuk:

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 01:00 PM
Well, at least the UFOs are interesting - I'm friggin' tired of all the crap about Hitler and WWII they show continuously. Seriously, how much of the same stuff can they possible have to show? :smallyuk:

I grant that when it made an abrupt switch from the History Channel to the Hitler Channel it got old after a while, but the Hysteria Channel isn't any better. They really should have looked into moving the format back to covering more stuff around the world after they got tired of WW2.

Jamin
2009-07-28, 01:06 PM

Yeah but it is not history. Also it might not even be true half the time.

FoE
2009-07-28, 01:33 PM
I don't get the Sy Fy Channel, but I do get the Canadian equivalent: the Space Channel. They do have some Sy Fy programming (Farscape, Eureka) and they've been showing Sy Fy original movies on the aptly-named "Disaster Mondays." I consider it a disaster if I have nothing better to do than watch one of them.

Lord Seth
2009-07-28, 03:02 PM
CN Real was dumb, not necessarily because of it being live action, but more because the shows, at least from what I've seen of them, just aren't that interesting. If the shows were actually fun to watch and had a cartoony "feel" to them, it wouldn't be so bad, but breaking with the channel's theme just to show boring shows isn't very good. Breaking with the channel's theme to show interesting live action would probably be okay, but throwing out live action without seeming to put much effort into it is the problem. Though from what I've heard, the ratings for CN Real have been pretty poor, so I don't think we really have to worry about Cartoon Network expanding it.

The main problem is they seem to have a lower amount of shows I'd be interested in watching. I miss the days when I'd tune in to watch one show, then maybe catch some of the show before or after it and get interested in it and start watching that series as well. TDI/TDA is really the only show on the channel I'm still interested in, and it's not even made by them. I do have high hopes for Adventure Time, though, whenever the heck they finally show it.

armourer eric
2009-07-28, 06:59 PM
Nobody liked Tin Man ?:(

Philistine
2009-07-28, 07:20 PM

Only half the time? Optimist.

The US version of The History Channel, at least, didn't even attain that high a mark when they were concentrating on history. At least, every time I saw one of their programs that touched on a subject I already knew something about, they got it wrong. Often badly wrong.

chiasaur11
2009-07-28, 07:40 PM

Sorry.

Love for Zooey Deschanel only goes so far.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2009-07-28, 08:30 PM
I grant that when it made an abrupt switch from the History Channel to the Hitler Channel it got old after a while, but the Hysteria Channel isn't any better. They really should have looked into moving the format back to covering more stuff around the world after they got tired of WW2.

It's worse on the Military Channel, which my father enjoys far too much. They recently had two months straight of almost nothing but the ten-part series "Hitler's Bodyguard" about all of Hitler's bodyguards and all the assassination attempts on Hitlers life. And my father watched all of them. EVERY FREAKING TIME.

Plus, you know, I have a large amount of dislike for the Military Channel simply because of how patriotic it is. It's hard to be an American patriot when you live in Canada. I'm not even a Canadian patriot.

Hey, was the movie with the big red man-eating locust swarm a Sy Fy original? I saw it on Space once. It was actually kinda good.

armourer eric
2009-07-28, 09:00 PM
Sorry.

But she did her 3 standard facial expressions so well, we even sat and took bets on which reactionary expression she would use in the upcoming scene.

But I inquires since I worked so hard to make all those arms for the longcoats and the big brass shoulders on Kathleen Robertson, and I was hoping it at least help raise the bar a bit.

FoE
2009-07-29, 12:27 AM

Actually, I'm going to try watching that this weekend. I like the previews.

And The Lost Room was pretty good. For some reason, Sy Fy seems to do well with some series and some mini-series. It's just their Disaster of the Week movies that blow.

*Grabs by shirt*

Who are you and what have you done with Chiasaur? Are you a robot? An alien? A Communist? ANSWER ME, DAMN YOU!

Derthric
2009-07-29, 01:54 AM

I would assume SyFy originals moniker excludes its Mini-Series. The quality and effort they put into the Mini-Series when they used to do them regularly was quite the payoff in my opinion.

Dune, BSG, Children of Dune, Taken, Tin Man

Were all at least well done and alot of time and effort put into them, say what you will about your enjoyment of them they weren't half done. The SyFy originals are of a lower quality than my friend's film minor projects shot in dorms and school parking lots.

So my answer to the OP's question is no, none rank above the redeeming value of the 2 hours you will have spent watching them on tv, unless you are a masochist.

Dragonus45
2009-07-29, 04:27 AM

(..."Giraffic Park?")

I still have to nominate "Mansquito" for this thread, if only because the title is just way too fun to say. :smallcool:

Im a fan of bad puns and this one deserves an award. And whoever was asking about the Cube movies earlier. No they aren't SyFy originals but they are great movies. There is no third one tho. That's only a rumor and you should never follow it up or think about it at all.

Starscream
2009-07-29, 05:49 AM

It goes far enough, trust me.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that if you combined her DNA with that of Tina Fey, you'd get Wonder Woman.

Just a suggestion to any Playgrounders who somehow have access to a genetics lab.

*.*.*.*
2009-07-29, 06:20 AM
Movies:They fail at and should feel horrible for broadcasting

Original Series:There we go, Sci-fi does it right. I absolutely LOVE Eureka, I watch it every Friday before going to play DnD with friends.

nanobot_swarm
2009-07-29, 07:19 PM
The movie mega-snake could count, being a "so bad it's awesome" kind of movie.
For instance, in one part two old hillbillys put a flame-thrower in the back of their truck and try and hunt the giant snake.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 07:30 PM
Original Series:There we go, Sci-fi does it right. I absolutely LOVE Eureka, I watch it every Friday before going to play DnD with friends.

Sure, they make them good, but they screw over most of them.

Like Tremors: The Series. (can you tell I hold a grudge for that? :smallmad:)

chiasaur11
2009-07-29, 07:34 PM

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that if you combined her DNA with that of Tina Fey, you'd get Wonder Woman.

Just a suggestion to any Playgrounders who somehow have access to a genetics lab.

Sounds good, but what do we do with Felicia Day's DNA?

Mike_the_Mystic
2009-07-29, 08:28 PM
Nothing on SyFy is good except Ghost Hunters and Eureka. NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!!

Vaire
2009-07-30, 09:32 AM

You'd need to add someone with the proper physique. Like Lucy Lawless.

Oh, and I liked Tin Man, but I didn't think it counted as it was a mini series.

Muz
2009-07-30, 10:39 AM
When Ghost Hunters succeeds in actually trapping a ghost and holding it indefinitely, then I'll watch a second episode.

Im a fan of bad puns and this one deserves an award.

I am both honored and ashamed. (I made a good pun? I feel so dirty!) :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 11:37 AM
I ran tech for the Ghost Hunters once at one of their traveling tours.

I was incredibly bored by their presentation. They're not even especially charismatic. I mean, they're not cardboard, but they're not supercharm either, so I don't know how they got a show which is almost all about nothing actually happening.

FoE
2009-07-30, 11:39 AM
I ran tech for the Ghost Hunters once at one of their traveling tours. I was incredibly bored by their presentation. They're not even especially charismatic. I mean, they're not cardboard, but they're not supercharm either, so I don't know how they got a show which is almost all about nothing actually happening.

It's a boring show, period. It's all manufactured tension and scary music.

Give me Supernatural any day.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 11:43 AM
Ghost Hunters is one of the shows Cartoon Network Real is copying, with "Othersiders".

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 11:48 AM
Ghost Hunters is one of the shows Cartoon Network Real is copying, with "Othersiders".

Really, without Ernie Hudson, ghost hunting feels like an exercise in futility.

Starscream
2009-07-30, 02:10 PM
My mom and brother love Ghosthunters. It bores me to tears. A popular show like that could clearly afford to keep the camera from shaking and get some better lighting, but they prefer the Blair Witch Method of Terror Inducement, which wasn't even scary back in 1995.

Barbarian MD
2009-07-30, 07:40 PM
Question: does BSG count? They had a couple of movies (still haven't seen Caprica) that were spin-offs to the show.

EDIT: I should have refreshed the thread before posting. I had completely forgotten about Taken and Dune and the other mini-series mentioned.

Cryssandra
2009-07-30, 08:11 PM
My mom and brother love Ghosthunters. It bores me to tears. A popular show like that could clearly afford to keep the camera from shaking and get some better lighting, but they prefer the Blair Witch Method of Terror Inducement, which wasn't even scary back in 1995.

I completely agree with you on that one, Ghosthunters needs to just stop airing or get better umm.... Everything....

Also, I loved Tin Man....
Though, being a mini-series, it does not count towards SciFi's "good movie" counter.

I refuse to call it SyFy

X2
2009-07-30, 08:17 PM
As much as it is an oxymoron, are there any SyFy original movies that weren't horrible?

Surely, you jest!? *snicker*

Jalor
2009-07-30, 09:29 PM
Nothing on SyFy is good except Ghost Hunters and Eureka. NOTHING!!! NOTHING!!!

Battlestar Galactica was excellent when it was on. Ghosthunters is pretty sucky.

@Starscream: The Blair Witch Project was pretty scary back then, but now Cloverfield's already done the whole "shaky camera" thing to death, and Cloverfield wasn't even a horror movie.

Swordlol
2009-07-30, 09:35 PM

Same can be said about the Big Bang Theory.

Lord Seth
2009-07-31, 12:16 PM
Same can be said about the Big Bang Theory.What does that show have to do with this discussion?

Vaire
2009-08-03, 09:32 AM
Same can be said about the Big Bang Theory.

The show or the actual theory?

Avilan the Grey
2009-08-03, 01:54 PM

Sidenote: Contents seems to cycle too. I don't get History Channel, but I have noticed on the similar channels I have that it does, indeed, go in circles:
When I got cable, they ran Roman documentaries 10 days a week. Then Egyptian. Then Nazi. This year it seems to mostly be assassinations of famous people, "mystery disasters" etc but it is slowly popping up more and more Greek / Roman documentaries again...

AstralFire
2009-08-03, 01:55 PM
You don't understand. For around 7 years, the History Channel was the Hitler Channel.

RTGoodman
2009-08-03, 01:59 PM
Alright, lemme tell ya somethin' - I tried to watch another SciFi Original Movie this past Saturday, and even I couldn't watch the whole thing. It was called "Rock Monster," and was disappointingly about a monster made of stone, not a monster made of the power of rock music.

So again, I'll defend some of them as being hilariously watchable, but not all of them.

Avilan the Grey
2009-08-03, 02:01 PM
You don't understand. For around 7 years, the History Channel was the Hitler Channel.

Ah. Viasat History was only "Viasat Hitler" for a few months, like 8...?

Discovery: as much as I love Mythbusters, I get so fed up with them having no actual documentaries anymore, only Mythbuster re-runs, it's poor cousin Brainiac and all the lesser shows, like Deadly Catch etc.

National Geographic is so obviously an American channel, with all the Sensational Car Crashes and Plane Crashes crap instead of, like, documentaries that are interesting. And the WWII stuff.
Basically, National Geographic is a mix between "(Anyvehicle)Crash Channel and Hitler Channel. Oh, and all the shows about "The Worlds Blankiest Blank" as Fry calls it on Futurama...

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-03, 04:25 PM
How odd, I can't seem to find Mythbusters any more.

Granted, I haven't checked recently.

Nerocite
2009-08-03, 04:53 PM
Syfy? What's Syfy? Sci-fi has Awesome movies. They will soon become classics.

Athaniar
2009-08-03, 04:58 PM
Saw Basilisk earlier today; it was bad, in a good way (or is it the other way around?). Very well-animated monster, lots of narmy kills, weird little "didn't do the research" errors (the word basilisk is greek, not egyptian). It wasn't horrible, though. I especially liked the basilisk itself.

EDIT: Oh, and I just remembered that I've seen Shockwave (or AI Assault, depending on what you prefer to call it), too. Not that good, but it had an unusually high number of famous sci-fi actors.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-03, 05:02 PM
Syfy? What's Syfy? Sci-fi has Awesome movies. They will soon become classics.

SyFy means pox in a language, I forget which, but in this case we're talking about SyFy, the channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyFy).

And Network Decay. (I could link you to TV Tropes here, but you'd never leave.)

Swordlol
2009-08-03, 08:47 PM
When Ghost Hunters succeeds in actually trapping a ghost and holding it indefinitely, then I'll watch a second episode.

I am both honored and ashamed. (I made a good pun? I feel so dirty!) :smallbiggrin:

Or any evidence of any kind other than "chills" and "noises".

thorgrim29
2009-08-03, 09:44 PM
Not a movie as such, but they're showing Tin Man in Canada right now, and it's pretty decent, not great, but ok.

hustlertwo
2009-08-03, 10:13 PM
I liked Alien Apocalypse. Also that first Spiders movie, but I don't know if that was really theirs or not. For the most part, they reek.

Vaire
2009-08-04, 09:49 AM

I saw them make a flashlight blink on and off once.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-04, 09:51 AM
I saw them make a flashlight blink on and off once.

They caught some strange stuff from time to time, but the problem is it's just that, just weird stuff. There are a hundred different reasons door A could've closed on its own, and to their credit they at least admit that.

...or at least, they did back when I used to watch the show.

Philistine
2009-08-04, 07:55 PM
I've started watching Warehouse 13 recently. This show ought to annoy me endlessly - it certainly fits that profile - but instead I find it mildly entertaining. I mean, it's almost as ridiculous as Fringe, for cryin' out loud! It's not nearly as annoying, though. Maybe because W13 doesn't take itself as seriously?

HamHam
2009-08-04, 08:11 PM

They have that.

Unfortunately they also photoshoped the numbers on some thermal imaging footage in one episode so their credibility is zero.

kopout
2009-08-04, 09:03 PM
Saw Basilisk earlier today; it was bad, in a good way (or is it the other way around?). Very well-animated monster, lots of narmy kills, weird little "didn't do the research" errors (the word basilisk is greek, not egyptian). It wasn't horrible, though. I especially liked the basilisk itself.

that movie was quite good

HamHam
2009-08-05, 07:15 PM
Watching The Monkey King. The effects are pretty bad but it's not really all that terrible over all. Some of the jokes are even actually funny.

hustlertwo
2009-08-06, 10:53 AM
I've started watching Warehouse 13 recently. This show ought to annoy me endlessly - it certainly fits that profile - but instead I find it mildly entertaining. I mean, it's almost as ridiculous as Fringe, for cryin' out loud! It's not nearly as annoying, though. Maybe because W13 doesn't take itself as seriously?

I would agree about the mild enjoyment, but for me it was enough to get me to watch the whole premiere, but not enough to convince me to watch it after that. If it was a half hour, maybe. But I don't want to spend too much time in a week watching the boob tube, and certainly better shows are out there (specifically, tomorrow, when Psych starts back).

Oh, and I forgot another good one: whatever the movie was with Ron Perlman on an island full of crazy mutant apes, or whatever it was he was fighting in that one. Fairly entertaining.

Amiel
2009-08-18, 10:16 AM
Didn't SyFy produce Frank Herbert's Children of Dune?
What do people think of that series?

And there was also Frank Herbert's Dune.
Likewise, what are folks' opinions regarding that series?

zyphyr
2009-08-18, 05:46 PM
Didn't SyFy produce Frank Herbert's Children of Dune?
What do people think of that series?

And there was also Frank Herbert's Dune.
Likewise, what are folks' opinions regarding that series?

There is a major difference in quality between their Mini-Series and their movies.

They generally do an excellent job on the former, and amazingly bad on the latter.