PDA

View Full Version : Corner Cutting Aztec Spellcasters...

Mulletmanalive
2009-07-28, 12:21 AM
Not entirely sure if this belongs here or in the Roleplaying forum but hey ho...

I began running a high level Exalted game set in an Aztec Mordor with a Witch-Queen bent on assending to godhood. The setting, as far as it matters, has crystalised nicely with a little input from the players.

My issue at the moment is that i'm dreading using a million spellcasters. The setting with its current psuedo-god queen has a whole bunch of priests running around with its military and this is kinda new to me. I had an idea for limiting the paperwork with multiple casters to avoid the temptation to keep making dudes that are more powerful than the Ringwraith equivilents [Demon Knights, think Jaguar Warriors but with demon pelts] which are CR 12 with an ability that makes them more dangerous in numbers.

[B]NPC Casters
NPC spellcasters undergo the following alterations:
1: Their total spell slots are calculated and halved. In the case of spontaneous casters, their 'spells known' rating is used instead.
2: Spells are assigned to these slots as per normal.
3: The caster casts their first spell from any level they choose.
4: Subsequent spells must be of a lower level than the last spell cast. For instance, a 7th level druid casts Flamestrike [Level 4]. The next round, he may choose to cast any spell of 3rd level or lower. He chooses Flaming Sphere, meaning that his next spell must be 1st or 0th level.
5: 0th level spells may always be cast without limit.
6: To restore themselves to factory default, the caster must spend a Full round action meditating. Such an action provokes attacks of opportunity.
6b: Spontaneous casters may restore their progression with a Standard action that does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity.

Fine points:
a) Metamagic is memorised into spells by non-spontaneous casters and the metamagic version of a spell is considered a discrete spell.
b) Spontaneous Casters apply metamagic more or less as normal; it takes a Full action to cast the spell and it counts as the increased level of the spell.

Requests:
Ok, now heres what i'm asking. I'm not going to break this mechanic, or abuse it [and as a GM, that's not technically possible anyway] but I am concerned that this might make spellcasters a little more powerful than they might be otherwise.

Does this need a CR adjustment? If so, how much? I'm planning to use this mostly with Druids and the occasional Favoured Soul but knowing about other spellcasters will be handy too.

AstralFire
2009-07-28, 12:39 AM
I would move this to roleplaying forum since a significant portion is looking for advice on how to run more than creating a tool that is meant to be generally used by people. More likely to get story hooks there, too.

I am tired and will try to be more helpful tomorrow, Monsieur Mullet.

Mulletmanalive
2009-07-28, 01:05 AM
k, well, i've removed the encounter suggestion request and put that into a basically identical Roleplaying thread. Anyway, CR adjustments other things i should consider?