PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Kirk is better than Picard

c222
2006-08-04, 09:32 PM
1. diplomacy for Kirk is a charged phaser

edit: (oops, i think this should be moved)

Duncan_MacSmasher
2006-08-04, 10:12 PM
2. He isn't.

The Prince of Cats
2006-08-05, 04:17 AM
2. He isn't.
Okay... We will let you off because you are young.

Yeah, Kirk > Picard. Don't get me wrong, I still think Picard is a great captain, I just think Kirk knew how to play the game.

All those green girls. I don't care if they were green, how often does Picard get the girl? He flirts with the doctor a bit but even Data gets more than him...

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-05, 04:28 AM
3. Kirk could rip his shirt every episode and still manage to get it back in pristine condition next episode.

EDIT: Also, Prince of Cats is right. We'll let you off because you're young.

Deckmaster
2006-08-05, 11:39 AM
Bah. Picard is superior.

I'm not even going to argue about why Picard is superior, because I know my arguments are going to fall on deaf ears. But think about this...

Who would you rather follow into the depths of Hell?

Were-Sandwich
2006-08-05, 11:51 AM
^Archer.

Jibar
2006-08-05, 12:06 PM
Kirk went on to do crappy comedy roles while Picard went on to become Charles Xavier among many other brilliant roles?

Ebon_Drake
2006-08-05, 12:36 PM
Kirk went on to do crappy comedy roles while Picard went on to become Charles Xavier among many other brilliant roles?
Or rather, Kirk was so awesome he made even a crappy actor seem good, whereas Picard was so dull he needed a Shakespearian actor to make him interesting :P.

#4: Picard sips tea, Kirk gets wasted on Romulan ale.

Azrael
2006-08-05, 12:54 PM
#5: Kirk was first, and no matter what evidence is presented for either side, people will always have some deep-seated irrational sense of nostalgia for him.

Poison_Fish
2006-08-05, 01:05 PM
Picard has this song http://picard.ytmnd.com/

Not saying he's better. But I love that song.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-08-05, 01:14 PM
Depends. Picard has a spiffier ship, but Kirk was in the Nena song "99 Luftballons."

They were an awesome pair in Generations. Not even Klingons led by superdroog Alex can take them BOTH on.

Archonic Energy
2006-08-05, 01:33 PM
^Archer.

not funny.

Big_Red_Bird
2006-08-05, 02:10 PM
Who would you rather follow into the depths of Hell?
Picard or Sisko.

Yuki Akuma
2006-08-05, 02:12 PM
Picard or Sisko.

Who would follow the guy who gets one guy killed per away mission?!

Picard lost.. like, two crewmen ever? Sisko lost, like, one?

Janeway lost loads, but hey...

TheTick
2006-08-05, 02:47 PM
Janeway lost loads, but hey...
Strange, that, since she was the one unable to replenish the supply of Redshirts.

AtVaR
2006-08-05, 04:06 PM
Patrick Stewart, who played Captain Jean Luc Picard, was in fact a Shakespear performer before he became the famous Captain.

I for one think that Picard is the best out of the two. William Shatner overacted Kirk like crazy, making Kirk look psycotic... and frankly, I thought all his solutions to whatever problem was going on seemed to come to him too easy. It was always him that saved the day, or Scotty. Scotty was my favorite engineer... lol.

Picard, well, you could see the wheels turning in his head, and when things got hopeless you could see the determination. There was good acting there...

Don't get me wrong, I like both series. But I'd have to say the coolest Captain ever is Janeway.

Hoseki
2006-08-05, 05:37 PM
This was origionally a small flammable rant about my dislike of Janeway. I deleted it in favor of a funny link.

From the person who brought you the evil overlord list: How would Starfleet's finest go about the task of changing a light bulb? (http://www.eviloverlord.com/parodies/)

bingo_bob
2006-08-05, 07:58 PM
#6: He... talks... like... this! And he... fights... that way... too!

Kirk: Damn the regulations, Spock, I've got a ship with 430 people aboard to think of! At least I think there are 430; come to think of it, I've never actually seen more than a couple dozen.

Sooooo true.

Wizzardman
2006-08-05, 08:08 PM
Picard is better than Kirk because, to Picard, diplomacy is not the same as a charged phaser.

That said, William Shatner is a better actor than Patrick Stewart, because Shatner has performed better both before and after Star Trek [Twilight Zone, anyone?], and Patrick Stewart has a tendency to make all of his characters feel exactly the same as Captain Picard [His rendition of Ahab, his attempts at comedy, and many others]. Stewart does do good Shakespeare, but everyone else is Jean-Luc v6000.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-06, 11:22 AM
Comrade Gorby: Reason #1 Sisko is better than either Kirk or Picard - he would have made sure this thread was in the right forum. ;)

eggy_goodness
2006-08-06, 10:04 PM
Okay... We will let you off because you are young.

Yeah, Kirk > Picard. Don't get me wrong, I still think Picard is a great captain, I just think Kirk knew how to play the game.

All those green girls. I don't care if they were green, how often does Picard get the girl? He flirts with the doctor a bit but even Data gets more than him...
I am still laughing over the last bit, as I belive that Data is the coolest Star Trek character :)

c222
2006-08-07, 01:36 PM
I belive that Data is the coolest Star Trek character :)
I agree, but i thought the subject of this thread would be the funnest out of all of them.

Hungerdog
2006-08-07, 06:10 PM
Kirk. First and always.

Star Trek was never meant to be taken seriously, and who better to acomplish that than arguably the worst actor ever to "entertain" us?

My ship, my crewwwww!...

:P

ElfLad
2006-08-07, 07:08 PM
Spock! There's a man... on the wing of... the ship!

Daedrous Avari
2006-08-07, 08:02 PM
Sorry, but one thing.

Spock owns, even though I only saw one episode of Star Trek (don't shoot me)

eggy_goodness
2006-08-07, 08:11 PM
^ Darn Right!

DMgrinder
2006-08-08, 03:52 AM
As actors in different movies, Shatner and Steward are both exellent actors. In star trek, I just liked Picard better.

burrowowl
2006-08-08, 12:05 PM
Need 100+ reasons Kirk is the best starship captain ever? Look no further than the Church of Shatnerology (http://www.shatnerology.com/kirk.html)

Of note: Kirk once fought a Greek god. And won.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-08-08, 01:25 PM
Need 100+ reasons Kirk is the best starship captain ever? Look no further than the Church of Shatnerology (http://www.shatnerology.com/kirk.html)

Of note: Kirk once fought a Greek god. And won.

That's not entirely correct, Picard has saved the earth a few times before. It's still an awesome list though.

Clay_Cthulhu
2006-08-26, 01:35 PM
I prefer Kirk so much more over Picard...Just because! I Enjoyed William Shattner's (last name spelling right?...can't remember) Acting so much better. In my oppinion they did better with the first 3 origonal seasons...all of which i own on DVD ;D

Logic
2006-08-26, 08:19 PM
In combat, I would definatly want Kirk as my commander....in Space battles. There is no friggin way you would ever have me going on an away mission with Kirk, and any of the Senior officers.

But, in times of peace (and away missions), I would definatly prefer Picard as my commanding officer. He seems to care about his people in a way that Kirk never expressed to the junior staff.

Beleriphon
2006-08-30, 10:06 PM
In combat, I would definatly want Kirk as my commander....in Space battles. There is no friggin way you would ever have me going on an away mission with Kirk, and any of the Senior officers.

I don't know about that. Picard has Worf, and Worf has a weapon that goes stabbity-chop.

DungeonMaster77
2006-08-31, 05:09 PM
Okay, if we ARE going to go about dragging in senior officers into this mess, and to discuss how hard-core each one is, Picard is the clear winner.

This is why:

How many times has Picard out-thought one of the slickest near-omnipriecent beings in the known universe (that being Q)?

How many times has he battled, and won, against an enemy that Kirk would get stomped by (the Borg)? Yes, he was taken by them, but see below arguments on why he is still the clear winner, as they got him out of the situation. Don't even TRY saying that Kirk would have a chance at the Borg. Look what kind of stomping he got from a Klingon bird of prey that happened to be able to fire cloaked.

Now, let's talk crew:

Riker vs Spok: Tough call, but Riker gets all the ladies.

Scotty vs LaForge: Okay, Scotty gets this one, but after seeing the Next Generation episode with both of them, and hearing Scotty's "No, boy, you don't tell the captain that you'll have it done in 2 hours! You tell him 6, and when you get it done in 2, you look like a miracle worker!" That cost Scotty some points in the long run.

Warf vs Anybody: Warf. 'nuff said.

Sulu vs Data: Data, easily.

Czechoff vs Crusher (Wesley): Czechoff. ("Vere kan ve find dee nookleer wessells?" Startrek 4)

Bones vs Crusher (Beverly): Crusher (she has fired a phaser before, and used an EMH to defeat Borg. Bones gives us "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a ____")

Kirk Crew: 2
Picard Crew: 4

And the winner is Picard. As for captain Janeway, her bun is tied up too tight.

alec
2006-09-01, 09:48 AM
This is why Kirk beats Picard. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsAc439VWjw&mode=related&search=)

JellyPooga
2006-09-01, 12:13 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

^ is soooo true!!

Moechi_Vill
2006-09-17, 12:17 PM
Kirk kicks ass or gets his ass kicked - he fights! Picard agonizes about things - the ethical and moral consequences of turning a blissful planet into a vacation paradise... he's like a Janeway light.

Anyway, the video 'proves' one thing >D, Kirk would win in a fight against Picard, does anyone really doubt that would happen if it was canon?

Krade
2006-09-18, 01:35 AM
William Shatner killed his wife. I don't think there needs to be any other explanation of who the better Captain is. Sure, they both sent people to thier demise, but only one of them ACTUALLY killed someone.

kriklaf
2006-09-19, 03:39 PM
Picard. Justifications*:
most likely specious, totally personal and absolutely tonge-in-cheek

1. Tea. Earl Grey. Hot
2. Shatner did a whole movie in Esperanto (Incubus).
3. Patrick Stewart--member of the Sexy Old Man club. Shatner...not so much.
4. Picard--not involved in the crap that was Star Trek V. Hell, Shatner wrote it

Although I'd be forced to admit under severe pressure that I not only have Shatner's "Common People" on my iPod, but I actually like it!

Logic
2006-09-23, 03:51 AM
William Shatner killed his wife. I don't think there needs to be any other explanation of who the better Captain is. Sure, they both sent people to thier demise, but only one of them ACTUALLY killed someone.
I don't believe he did. Perhaps it is merely me being naive, but I thought Shatner was quite sincere when he made his statement to the press about how upset he was. You saying that also discredits the detectives that investigated the case, who were quite happy with the idea that what happened was a terrible accident.

Jerthanis
2006-09-23, 02:54 PM
This is why Kirk beats Picard. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsAc439VWjw&mode=related&search=)

...Because he fires on unidentified ships without provocation? And for some reason all his systems work and all of Picard's systems fail?

Seems like an example of why Kirk shouldn't be in command of an unarmed freighter, much less in command of hundreds of innocents with the firepower of a whole starship behind him.

The only really cool part of Kirk is that he won the Kobayashi-maru simulation, and even that is an indication that he's not a mature enough individual to be a leader. He can't take defeat, so he cheats to win.