PDA

View Full Version : If you were in the Fallout universe, which vault would you want to be put in?

Randel
2009-07-29, 01:13 AM
Okay, I just recently got Fallout 3 and I'm pretty hooked. One thing about the series that interests me is the Vaults (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault).

Basically, during the cold war when everyone was afraid of a nuclear war, a company called Vault-Tech constructed about 122 large vaults that are basically city-sized Fallout shelters to preserve humanity. People would sign up for the chance to be assigned to one of the Vaults so that in the event of a war then they would stay inside until the bombs stopped falling and would exit when radiation went down.

However, secretly the vaults were a massive social experiment to see how well the groups of the population would react in different circumstances. One vault had twice the sustainable number of people assigned to it, one had an armory stocked with lots of weapons with no lock on the door, one had no entertainment tapes stocked in it and another one only had entertainment tapes made by a really bad comedian.

Oh, and one had one man and a box of puppets (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/pennyarcade.html#)

Anyway, suppose global nuclear war was imminent and these vaults were being set up. You however had the good fortune of being friends with one of the guys in charge of assigning people to the vaults. He lets you know that the vaults are a huge experiment and lets you choose which one of these experiment vaults you get assigned to... but you can't let anyone know that you know its an experiment because it would land him in a huge mess of trouble if it was found that he risked the validity of the experiment for a friend.

Basically, if you were to be a lab rat in a terrible social experiment with only the radioactive mutant-filled wasteland outside to greet you if you should escape then what experiment would you want to be put in?

JadedDM
2009-07-29, 01:17 AM
Vault 69, obviously. :smallwink:

Miyako
2009-07-29, 01:18 AM
Assuming that it would be a paradise -- the Control.

chiasaur11
2009-07-29, 01:21 AM

Stable enough to be safe, home of Vault Dweller, and a ticket to the outside when the time comes.

ZeroNumerous
2009-07-29, 01:22 AM
Assuming that it would be a paradise -- the Control.

There are a bunch of Control Vaults designed to open at periodic intervals. 10/50/100/200 years.

Personally I'd like to be in a Control vault myself.

Mewtarthio
2009-07-29, 01:25 AM
With what I'd know of the Vaults back then? I'd pick Vault 112 (Tranquility Lane). You get to live forever in a simulated paradise, so what's not to love? Eh? You say the Overseer is going to go mad with power and transform our lives into perpetual, inescapable hells for his own amusement? Ha, ha, you're just being paranoid! :smallbiggrin:

Knowing what we know of the eventual fates of the Vaults, I'd go with Vault 101. The whole "sealed forever" thing isn't really a problem, since I wouldn't be very eager to get back to the irradiated nuclear wasteland outside.

Kiren
2009-07-29, 01:36 AM
Vault 43- Hopefully we can take out the panther.

Seriously though, I would also go with vault 101, its safe, it did protect its inhabitants, and escape is a possibility, if you had to leave.

Zadus
2009-07-29, 01:40 AM
Vault 15. Things really worked out for those people. It took awhile, but in terms of long term survival they're definitely the top. Not to mention I'd get to see my small mud village turn into the New California Republic.

I'd have to watch out for scorpions and raiders though.

factotum
2009-07-29, 02:13 AM
I'd go with Vault 8. Sure, it was an oppressive control society, but they had a working GECK, so the result when they opened up was pretty much a paradise compared to anywhere else on the west coast!

Destro_Yersul
2009-07-29, 09:03 AM
Vault 77. Puppets! :smalltongue:

Seriously though, probably 42. I can deal with dim lightning conditions, and there's no horrible problems.

Phase
2009-07-29, 09:21 AM
Gary gary gary gary. Gary GARY gar-gary gary gaarrry.

EleventhHour
2009-07-29, 09:24 AM

Gaaaaaaaarrrryyyyy... *PLASMATOFACEOHMYGOD* Phew. Gary.

If it wasn't a cloning machine malfunction destroying his mind, then I would probably love that one. I, myself, me and the other bunch could all take turns working on my stories, sleeping, eating, I'd disagree with myself about things...

So much fun. And I doubt I would ever end up with some of myself wandering around calling out Jeeeeennnyyyyy. :smalltongue: (Would probably die out before going that bonkers.)

Cristo Meyers
2009-07-29, 09:26 AM

AH! GARY!

*whhr-CHUNK!*

GAAAAARRRRRRYYYYY!

Power Fist + the Vault of Gary = a good time to be had by all...

...well, except Gary.

I'm going to have to go with the Control. Seems safer than the alternatives...

...or maybe that's just what they wanted us to think...

Tengu_temp
2009-07-29, 10:22 AM
Vault 69, definitely.

Dervag
2009-07-29, 10:25 AM
I might pick Vault 15, since there's nothing actually wrong with the place (which can't be said for most of the other Vaults). And it will stay closed long enough for realistic radiation to die down; anything that's still active after fifty years isn't an intense enough emitter to be life-threatening.

Or I might pick Vault 53, since I don't really mind the idea of having to fix things a lot.

daggaz
2009-07-29, 10:25 AM
Wow... its called SPOILER TAGS!! :smallfurious: Just finished part two and about to start part three, had NO IDEA the vaults were a social experiment. :smallyuk::smallyuk::smallyuk:

Mewtarthio
2009-07-29, 10:33 AM
Wow... its called SPOILER TAGS!! :smallfurious: Just finished part two and about to start part three, had NO IDEA the vaults were a social experiment. :smallyuk::smallyuk::smallyuk:

Um... The game Fallout was published in 1997. That was twelve years ago. I think it's safe to say that the statute of limitations on spoilers has long since expired.

Phase
2009-07-29, 10:53 AM
Um... The game Fallout was published in 1997. That was twelve years ago. I think it's safe to say that the statute of limitations on spoilers has long since expired.

"If you were in the Sixth Sense universe, which ghost would you want to be?"

Oh, Bruce Willis, most definitely. Great ghost, him.

Miss Nobody
2009-07-29, 01:35 PM
Vault 8. It was a control vault, so no experiments on its inhabitants and they had a GECK.
Vault 15 would be OK too.

Comet
2009-07-29, 01:55 PM
101, please.
Spoiler'd for your convenience
I'm going with the assumption that the hero of vault 101 ends up being, well, a hero. This means the vault will open and I'm free to roam the DC area. Plus:
There will eventually be a water purifier. This is a good thing.
There are plenty of cities. Which are well guarded and have quite a bit of technology.
DC area has the most awesome robots.
The further Fallout 3 goes, the less it's about surviving in a harsh nuclear wasteland. It becomes more about shiny lasers, awesome robots and the Brotherhood of Steel and their combined effect of making the are quite a sweet place to live. At least as far as Fallout goes.
Did I mention the awesome robots?

If I'm not allowed to see into the future...8 sounds good enough. Lots of other choices would work, too.

Zeful
2009-07-29, 02:26 PM
101, please.
Spoiler'd for your convenience
I'm going with the assumption that the hero of vault 101 ends up being, well, a hero. This means the vault will open and I'm free to roam the DC area. Plus:
There will eventually be a water purifier. This is a good thing.
There are plenty of cities. Which are well guarded and have quite a bit of technology.
DC area has the most awesome robots.
The further Fallout 3 goes, the less it's about surviving in a harsh nuclear wasteland. It becomes more about shiny lasers, awesome robots and the Brotherhood of Steel and their combined effect of making the are quite a sweet place to live. At least as far as Fallout goes.
Did I mention the awesome robots?

If I'm not allowed to see into the future...8 sounds good enough. Lots of other choices would work, too.

Except 101 was supposed to stay closed indefinitely, and will be closed for the Lone Wanderer's generation (Trouble on the Homefront) and will likely stay closed for the next one.

As for myself, vault 69. I could make it work for three-four generations it would take to get to 200 years (average life expectancy in a well maintained vault being 92.someodd years).

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2009-07-29, 07:42 PM
Any of the easier ones to get out of. Life if the Wasteland!

Surrealistik
2009-07-29, 08:17 PM
The aptly named Vault 69; the one with all the women. Reasons are obvious.

TakeV
2009-07-30, 12:15 AM
To all those people who said Vault 69: Oh sure, it sounds great on paper, but there is one little problem (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/532/do-the-menstrual-cycles-of-women-living-together-tend-to-synchronize) with the idea.

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 12:18 AM
No one has said anything to make me change my choice of 13.

All the pluses of 101, and a less triggerhappy overseer, even if he's still a psycho.

Anteros
2009-07-30, 12:24 AM
To all those people who said Vault 69: Oh sure, it sounds great on paper, but there is one little problem (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/532/do-the-menstrual-cycles-of-women-living-together-tend-to-synchronize) with the idea.

Sure, but they'll all be taking it out on each other too. And you can mark that week down to disappear every month.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 12:26 AM

I definitely do not want to be the sole mating option for 999 people. Can you say deadly stalkers with "if I can't have them, NO ONE CAN?" Or the incredible amount of backstabbing constantly going on around you?

lvl 1 fighter
2009-07-30, 12:35 AM
I want to be in the science experiment in Tactics where they put scientist brains into robots.

I could groove on some human-brain-in-super-robot-body action.

Anteros
2009-07-30, 12:38 AM

I definitely do not want to be the sole mating option for 999 people. Can you say deadly stalkers with "if I can't have them, NO ONE CAN?" Or the incredible amount of backstabbing constantly going on around you?

I doubt it would be this bad. Same-sex relationships would probably become very standard, very quickly.

JadedDM
2009-07-30, 01:48 AM
No one has said anything to make me change my choice of 13.

All the pluses of 101, and a less triggerhappy overseer, even if he's still a psycho.

Well, eventually there's that whole Deathclaw thing and then being slaughtered by the Enclave.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 02:25 AM
The experimental vault that the Master took over. Then I'd use my influence to help him take over the world for the lulz, not because of some stupid idealistic idea of "the Unity". Then he wouldn't be talked into killing himself just because all of his disposable, unaging, and therefore incapable-of-dying-of-natural-causes minions can't get around.

thubby
2009-07-30, 03:29 AM
assuming they didn't pack it with crazy women, 69.
anyone can do sex acts, I'd only be needed for reproduction, which i could do more than once every 9 months.

actually, could that even create a viable gene pool?

regardless, I'd probably be dead by the time it became a problem.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 03:46 AM
For vault 69:
Effective Population Size. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_population_size)
In short: a population of 999 women and one man has an effective population size in regards to inbreeding of 4*999*1/1000, or a little less than 4. No, this won't work well.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-30, 04:06 AM
You'd need at least 5 Other Males methinks...

Purely Speculations on my part, I can't be bothered with all the complex Maths...:smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2009-07-30, 05:03 AM
The experimental vault that the Master took over. Then I'd use my influence to help him take over the world for the lulz, not because of some stupid idealistic idea of "the Unity". Then he wouldn't be talked into killing himself just because all of his disposable, unaging, and therefore incapable-of-dying-of-natural-causes minions can't get around.

I've met some people who actually argued that the Master was actually a very sensible and believeable guy based on the fact that you can trick him into blowing up everything he worcked for.

I would be in the vault where the brotherhood of steel started. Then I would get to kick some mutant butt with power armor and big guns instead of roting inside some cold monochromatic giant coffin.

Eldan
2009-07-30, 05:13 AM
You'd need at least 5 Other Males methinks...

Purely Speculations on my part, I can't be bothered with all the complex Maths...:smalltongue:

It's been a year since I've had population genetics, and I don't remember half of it, but in general, the closer you are to 50-50, the better. I'm not sure if 1000 people would be viable, but it could work.

Om
2009-07-30, 06:06 AM
Um... The game Fallout was published in 1997. That was twelve years ago. I think it's safe to say that the statute of limitations on spoilers has long since expired.Actually the true nature of the vaults wasn't mentioned in the original Fallout and may not have even occurred in Fallout 2. IIRC it first came to light in the Fallout Bible and only featured in gameplay in Fallout 3

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-30, 06:08 AM
It's been a year since I've had population genetics, and I don't remember half of it, but in general, the closer you are to 50-50, the better. I'm not sure if 1000 people would be viable, but it could work.

Here is how I look at it: the sooner the Original Vault Dwellers have children and their Children have Children the better.

Lets say that the Original Vault Dwellers (The first people to live in the vault, i.e. They lived in a normal World before the fallout.) were a 10/990 Ratio. First thing on the list is organizing some way to know who has eloped with who and organizing when a Male should 'do their part for the Vault Community'.

And holy **** if I go any further I might actually be breaking the forum rules....

I think they could pull it off if a certain set of conditions are met.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-30, 09:07 AM
Actually the true nature of the vaults wasn't mentioned in the original Fallout and may not have even occurred in Fallout 2. IIRC it first came to light in the Fallout Bible and only featured in gameplay in Fallout 3

I'm certain it was mentioned in Fallout 2.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 09:23 AM
Actually the true nature of the vaults wasn't mentioned in the original Fallout and may not have even occurred in Fallout 2. IIRC it first came to light in the Fallout Bible and only featured in gameplay in Fallout 3

It was mentioned in Fallout 2. I know because Fallout 2 is the only Fallout game I've played and I know this.

Regardless, you should generally be wary when walking into topics discussing a segment of well-established media.

nothingclever
2009-07-30, 10:29 AM
I'd go with Vault 12. Immunity to radiation and an extended lifespan but you're hideously deformed. Sounds like a fair trade.

Vault 87 sounds pretty neat too if you don't mind possible senility.

Rutskarn
2009-07-30, 10:31 AM
Whichever vault is experimenting with the effects of free ice cream on the human soul.

Bouregard
2009-07-30, 10:40 AM
I'd go with Vault 12. Immunity to radiation and an extended lifespan but you're hideously deformed. Sounds like a fair trade.

And your brain rots lowly away. As soon as its gone you're a new feral ghoul! Hah! Sounds fun!

Erloas
2009-07-30, 10:43 AM
It really depends on which generation you are talking about. The first generations in most vaults would have been pretty good. It took quite a few generations before many of the experimental vaults had problems.
As for the longevity of the population of Vault 69... its not going to be all that useful for repopulating the earth, but it still might be fun... at least for a little while and then you might wish to instead face the deathclaws, they would probably be more merciful.

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 10:58 AM
Whichever vault is experimenting with the effects of free ice cream on the human soul.

On second thought:

That one.

Or the vault where they show bad movies, assuming I could hijack some of 44's puppets.

Thrawn183
2009-07-30, 11:48 AM
As far as vault 69 is concerned. I wonder how long it would take for... well if not Death by Snoo Snoo, serious complications to arise?

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-07-30, 11:49 AM
As far as vault 69 is concerned. I wonder how long it would take for... well if not Death by Snoo Snoo, serious complications to arise?

I give it about a year...:smalltongue:

Phase
2009-07-30, 12:09 PM

Oh gods, I went to that vault. They rip out your souls with a huge metal spike and lather it up with this terrible tasting ice cream.

Plus it's not free.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 12:09 PM
I think that's what your sig picture just did to me, so that's fair.

Hadrian_Emrys
2009-07-30, 12:11 PM
Alright, sexist humor aside... I'm not sure how 'seasoned' some of you are, but Vault 69 would be hell. Social/physical backstabbing and potential fisticuffs aside, it could easily devolved into a non-stop marathon of green-bruised agony if even a third of the internal population was interested and/or not otherwise inclined. No thank you.

My picks would be 0, 112 (if I were at the wheel), or the secret vault.

chiasaur11
2009-07-30, 12:11 PM
Oh gods, I went to that vault. They rip out your souls with a huge metal spike and lather it up with this terrible tasting ice cream.

Plus it's not free.

Actually, there are two vaults doing that test.

One of them just gives free ice cream.

Getting them confused is not advised.

Phase
2009-07-30, 01:15 PM
Actually, there are two vaults doing that test.

One of them just gives free ice cream.

Getting them confused is not advised.

Well damn.

Ah well. Maybe there's a vault under the Dunwich building I could look into...

Surrealistik
2009-07-30, 01:16 PM
It really depends on which generation you are talking about. The first generations in most vaults would have been pretty good. It took quite a few generations before many of the experimental vaults had problems.
As for the longevity of the population of Vault 69... its not going to be all that useful for repopulating the earth, but it still might be fun... at least for a little while and then you might wish to instead face the deathclaws, they would probably be more merciful.

Exactly. Who cares about repopulating the earth? If it happens, great. If it doesn't, great, I'm still getting boned. That said, it would be nice to have the other dudes who wanted to hit up Vault 69 with me to alleviate the pressure/spread the wealth. 999 on 1 is definitely overwhelming; I'd need back up.

nothingclever
2009-07-30, 02:27 PM
And your brain rots lowly away. As soon as its gone you're a new feral ghoul! Hah! Sounds fun!
Psssh, plenty of ghouls retain their sanity. Even if you don't, who worries about sanity when you could be eating brains instead?

Randaethyr
2009-07-30, 08:26 PM
Okay, I just recently got Fallout 3 and I'm pretty hooked. One thing about the series that interests me is the Vaults (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault).

Basically, during the cold war when everyone was afraid of a nuclear war, a company called Vault-Tech constructed about 122 large vaults that are basically city-sized Fallout shelters to preserve humanity. People would sign up for the chance to be assigned to one of the Vaults so that in the event of a war then they would stay inside until the bombs stopped falling and would exit when radiation went down.

However, secretly the vaults were a massive social experiment to see how well the groups of the population would react in different circumstances. One vault had twice the sustainable number of people assigned to it, one had an armory stocked with lots of weapons with no lock on the door, one had no entertainment tapes stocked in it and another one only had entertainment tapes made by a really bad comedian.

Oh, and one had one man and a box of puppets (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/vault/pennyarcade.html#)

Anyway, suppose global nuclear war was imminent and these vaults were being set up. You however had the good fortune of being friends with one of the guys in charge of assigning people to the vaults. He lets you know that the vaults are a huge experiment and lets you choose which one of these experiment vaults you get assigned to... but you can't let anyone know that you know its an experiment because it would land him in a huge mess of trouble if it was found that he risked the validity of the experiment for a friend.

Basically, if you were to be a lab rat in a terrible social experiment with only the radioactive mutant-filled wasteland outside to greet you if you should escape then what experiment would you want to be put in?

Just sayin, but pre nuclear devestation Fallout universe is actually the late 21st century. 2077ish off the top of my head.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-30, 09:51 PM
I would be in the vault where the brotherhood of steel started. Then I would get to kick some mutant butt with power armor and big guns instead of roting inside some cold monochromatic giant coffin.

They weren't descended from vault dwellers. That was only in Tactics, which was discontinuity. The brotherhood was descended from army deserters who rebelled when they found what their scientists were doing with FEV. They survived by holing up in their bunkers.

Tengu_temp
2009-07-31, 12:11 PM
Why do so many people declare discontinuity on Fallout Tactics? It was a good game.

Zeful
2009-07-31, 01:01 PM
Why do so many people declare discontinuity on Fallout Tactics? It was a good game.

Because it goes against the setting? My only experience with fallout is fallout 3 so I could be very wrong.

Lord of Rapture
2009-07-31, 08:25 PM
Because it goes against the setting? My only experience with fallout is fallout 3 so I could be very wrong.

Exactly. As good as a game it was, it made a lot of contradictions with the established setting, so it had to be declared discontinuity to prevent a continuity snarl.

Shraik
2009-08-01, 01:47 AM
I'd personally think vault 92, the one with all the musicians, most notably Sting (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_92#Trivia).

I mean, the puppets would be awesome, as would the one where I'd be the only dude.

I mean, other then that I would say Vault 101, but only because of it's idea. I mean, of course there were some issues, but it was the control vault in the experiment and was supposed to not have problems.

and last the vault in which the overseer was programmed to die not to long into the process, and everyone was left to fend on their own.

Tengu_temp
2009-08-01, 07:44 PM
Exactly. As good as a game it was, it made a lot of contradictions with the established setting, so it had to be declared discontinuity to prevent a continuity snarl.

Could you give me some examples? I played it some time ago so I don't remember a lot of details, but I haven't noticed any glaring continuity errors back then.

Lord of Rapture
2009-08-03, 08:14 PM
Could you give me some examples? I played it some time ago so I don't remember a lot of details, but I haven't noticed any glaring continuity errors back then.

Let's see:

1. The Brotherhood of Steel were descended from deserters in the army from the Mariposa Military Base bunkers, not from a military vault.

2. The weapons were too modern and not retro enough to fit into the Fallout setting.

3. Deathclaws are intelligent and talking without Enclave modifications. Also, hairy deathclaws.

4. All sources of petroleum was depleted soon before the Great War destroyed civilization, leaving fuel sources for vehicles and such scarce. However, a gas station stocked with fuel and working, moving vehicles exist in the game.

5. Ghouls suffer radiation poisoning.

6. The Brotherhood can manufacture Power Armor from after the War, while in other games, they can only manufacture Pre-War styles.

7. Vault 0 and the Calculator do not fit with the Vault styles and Vault Experiment purpose. The vaults were not intended to help rebuild humanity after the War, they were only used as experimental testing grounds on humans.

I know, some of it sounds petty, but there are enough contradictions in the game to have it declared discontinuity.

Zeful
2009-08-03, 08:58 PM
Some of these could be explained or expanded to fit them within the rest of canon.

1. The Brotherhood of Steel were descended from deserters in the army from the Mariposa Military Base bunkers, not from a military vault.
The local chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel was started by mostly vault dwellers that, due to Enclave propaganda in the area, assumed that the BoS soldiers were vault dwellers like themselves. The BoS higher ups simply never corrected the chapter.

3. Deathclaws are intelligent and talking without Enclave modifications. Also, hairy deathclaws.Hairy deathclaws were bred for use in the Canada, the Upper U.S. or areas where the temperature can drop to extreme negatives. Deathclaw intelligence in the Midwest was a stepping stone for the Enclave, speech is unrelated to the procedure.

7. Vault 0 and the Calculator do not fit with the Vault styles and Vault Experiment purpose. The vaults were not intended to help rebuild humanity after the War, they were only used as experimental testing grounds on humans.Vault 0 was the original design before the Vault Experiment started, when the purpose of the Vault's was to save humanity. Later Vaults were redesigned when the Vaults for the experiment were commissioned. The Calculator had been mislead intentionally, so as to preform it's duties and still remain useful to the Enclave.

Though I admit, that the ones that can't be explained without retcons are probably bigger problems than the ones that can.