PDA

View Full Version : Bananas

kpenguin
2009-07-29, 09:19 PM
For some reason, the mods discourage public discussion of bananas. Devilish handsome rogue that I am, I have decided to openly defy them and start a thread discussing bananas. :smalltongue:

So, where did bananas come from? I know that they grow in the tropics, but where did they originate from?

AgentCarmichael
2009-07-29, 09:26 PM
I have heard that they originate from another plane of existance, however, wikipedia says: "Papua New Guinea" is where they were first "domesticated." Which begs the question, where does one go to see a "wild banana?"

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-29, 09:30 PM
We still have them here (Thailand). They're small and seedy and generally too bothersome to eat.

Xyk
2009-07-29, 09:32 PM
I hear bananas can only reproduce by humans planting them. This makes no sense to me. How did they come to be if that is the case? Humans didn't take the Plant feat until a few thousand years ago. I thought they were planted by animals who ate them and proceeded to poo all over the place.

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-29, 09:34 PM
As I said above, wild bananas have seeds. Since these seeds are so large and disgusting, we've since got rid of them, and the domesticated variety can indeed only reproduce through cuttings.

Icewalker
2009-07-29, 09:36 PM
I dunno, but I think the mods are going to come down on this thread hard. We've all read the rules, and know what they think about bananas.

Anyways, I expect that at least partially the reason bananas in a lot of places only spread by humans is that, while we imported the bananas, we didn't import the animals that eat them and spread the seeds.

Raistlin1040
2009-07-29, 09:37 PM
I dunno, but I think the mods are going to come down on this thread hard. We've all read the rules, and know what they think about bananas.

Anyways, I expect that at least partially the reason bananas in a lot of places only spread by humans is that, while we imported the bananas, we didn't import the animals that eat them and spread the seeds.

That sir, is going to land you a Meal Culpa offense.

McBish
2009-07-29, 09:38 PM
I often have cravings for bananas. One time I ate around 8 of them in one sitting. By the way eating lots of bananas makes your stool turn green.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-07-29, 09:41 PM
This thread can only end in tears. Because sooner or later someone will tell the story about Roland St. Jude and {{scrubbed}} then BAM! Thread Locked!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 09:42 PM
Bananas are utterly revolting. The disgusting things.

Now Blueberries, that's where its at man. And don't even get me started on Huckleberries. :smallcool:

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-29, 09:43 PM
I don't like bananas much... the texture and flavor are all wrong somehow.

Cryssandra
2009-07-29, 09:45 PM
I agree with Mauve Shirt on this one....
Also, I'm allergic to them.
And does anyone know the source of the Mods dislike of this fruit?

nanobot_swarm
2009-07-29, 09:48 PM
I ate a banana once. True story.
Stupid question for the day:
If we planted banana trees in Australia, would they eventually become poisonous like everything else there?

Illven
2009-07-29, 09:48 PM
Well I think that humans first discovered banana's by going to the elemental plane of bananas and slaying a elder banana elemental

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-29, 09:54 PM
I agree with Mauve Shirt on this one....
Also, I'm allergic to them.

Ask and ye shall receive, but beware, the answer may be too awful to comprehend.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6606817

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-29, 09:56 PM
\

Months ago, this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5349828#post5349828), which is referenced in this recent thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119847)

Mr.Moron
2009-07-29, 09:56 PM
This is subject is related my avatar. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMCLXDtzW8)

Dragonrider
2009-07-29, 09:58 PM
I like {{scrubbed}}, mostly because {{scrubbed}} was my childhood nickname, but given the likelihood that I'll get {{scrubbed}} for talking about it, I think I'll just shut up now. :smallamused:

Lappy9000
2009-07-29, 10:00 PM
Being a man who likes to get his potassium, I do enjoy the occasional banana milkshake, via with the fork and glass method. They're also great on their own, but they need to be just perfectly ripe.

Dragonrider
2009-07-29, 10:01 PM
Being a man who likes to get his potassium, I do enjoy the occasional banana milkshake, via with the fork and glass method. They're also great on their own, but they need to be just perfectly ripe.

I like them a little green. Once they're ripe I gotta make them into bread because I can't stand the flavour or the texture.

Skaroq
2009-07-29, 10:04 PM
I like them a little green. Once they're ripe I gotta make them into bread because I can't stand the flavour or the texture.

I like my bananas interactive-odular.

Mauve Shirt
2009-07-29, 10:04 PM
Mmmmm, banana bread.
I actually like banana bread and banana muffins and stuff. So I think it's mostly the texture that grates me.

Mr. Mud
2009-07-29, 10:05 PM
Mmmmm, banana bread.
I actually like banana bread and banana muffins and stuff. So I think it's mostly the texture that grates me.

*promotes for being 350% like-minded*.

Em Blackleaf
2009-07-29, 10:23 PM
I love bananas in all forms. Banana bread, strawberry banana smoothies, or just plain bananas. But too many bananas can get sickening.

Does anyone else use that stupid Hollaback Girl song to spell bananas correctly? I kind of feel bad that I do.

Xyk
2009-07-29, 10:56 PM
I don't like bananas much... the texture and flavor are all wrong somehow.

I demote you, assuming I have the authority, for this dishonor to a wonderful food.

Icewalker
2009-07-29, 11:03 PM
Yeah, bananas are freaking delicious...definitely one of my favorite fruits.

thubby
2009-07-29, 11:34 PM
*walks off to eat a peanut butter {scrubbed} sandwich*

Dragonrider
2009-07-29, 11:36 PM
*walks off to eat a peanut butter {scrubbed} sandwich*

fixed that for ya. :smallbiggrin:

skywalker
2009-07-29, 11:52 PM
That sir, is going to land you a Meal Culpa offense.

I cannot let this pun (whether intended or otherwise) pass un-promoted.

A meal culpa! :biggrin:

MethosH
2009-07-30, 12:24 AM
I think the bananas are forbidden cuz some people belive they are the ultimate proof that god exist

and by the way.. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.tukaro.com/images/poster-bravery.jpg

Trog
2009-07-30, 12:33 AM
>.>
<.<

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/RRamjet/Animations/120px-Dancing_Banana.gif
*flees*

Raistlin1040
2009-07-30, 12:34 AM
I cannot let this pun (whether intended or otherwise) pass un-promoted.

A meal culpa! :biggrin:

It was intended. I'm glad someone enjoyed it. Though honestly, I expected most people to die upon posting it from the vile pun aroma.

Icewalker
2009-07-30, 12:39 AM
I noticed. It was pretty bad.

Well played though.

KuReshtin
2009-07-30, 01:39 AM
Funny fact about bananas.

The Banana plants walk around on their own.

Totally Guy
2009-07-30, 02:09 AM
The Banana plants walk around on their own.

That's a bit of a hazard isn't it? They'd slip on a banana peel.

Like this. (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wGr8njEWjtI/SmpKj0L30RI/AAAAAAAADz0/T70uOCsy6Qw/s1600-h/cake+114.jpg)

KuReshtin
2009-07-30, 02:22 AM
That's a bit of a hazard isn't it? They'd slip on a banana peel.

I learned this from the best show ever: QI!
Apparently, they accomodate the plants by making the plantations a fair bit larger and give the plants more space, so they're not cramped up next to each other.
I don't think they'd mind if two banana plants got to know each other a bit better and sidled up next to each other for a cuddle, though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-07-30, 02:28 AM
Bananas? Ycckk... http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif

Raiser Blade
2009-07-30, 02:35 AM
and by the way.. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.tukaro.com/images/poster-bravery.jpg

Nice image macro! I lol'ed on myself soooooo funneh

^__________________________^

Atomsized
2009-07-30, 06:08 AM

You said it! The Anti-Mod song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vWm47yPLGc

Yarram
2009-07-30, 06:10 AM
I'd like to be the first person on this thread to mention that banana's are yellow.:smallsmile:

Dr. Bath
2009-07-30, 06:22 AM
Nuh uh!

You get tiny green bananas in India. They're much sweeter and tastier than the big fug off yellow ones. (although they do show one means business)

Does anyone actually buy the banana holsters you see in supermarkets? I've never seen one off a shop shelf.

In the wise words of T-Rex (paraphrasing Gwen Stephani) "Bananas is spelt, "b-a-n-a-n-a-s"." I think we can all gain something from that.

banjo1985
2009-07-30, 08:13 AM
We call Banana's Banatan's in my house, following a humourous mispronounciation by Mrs B while we were watching the athletics. :smalltongue:

Yarram
2009-07-30, 09:12 AM
Nuh uh!

You get tiny green bananas in India. They're much sweeter and tastier than the big fug off yellow ones. (although they do show one means business)

Does anyone actually buy the banana holsters you see in supermarkets? I've never seen one off a shop shelf.

In the wise words of T-Rex (paraphrasing Gwen Stephani) "Bananas is spelt, "b-a-n-a-n-a-s"." I think we can all gain something from that.

I've seen one bought. It was a present from overseas though. (We don't get them here).

Coincidently, I've seen red bananas before.

Kaelaroth
2009-07-30, 09:13 AM
Natalie Tran had a video where she featured a banana which she'd drawn animals on. Apart from that... yellow bananas are all right, but only really tasty if you eat them in their countries of growth.

Ashen Lilies
2009-07-30, 09:36 AM
The bananas here are much like what Bath describe. They're smaller, thin-skinned and denser, with stronger tasting flesh, and absolutely delicious. I almost never eat what most people here would consider a 'standard' banana because they're so bland and tasteless in comparison.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-07-30, 09:46 AM

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring.

Banana phone! :smallbiggrin:

randman22222
2009-07-30, 10:29 AM
A Call To
All Good Men And Women
In The Playground
Concerning
BANANAS

It has recently come to my attention that there are those among us that tolerate, and in most grotesque cases, are EATING these most wretched of abominations. That's correct, many of our brethren, seemingly living at ease amongst us, will devour Bananas.

In underhanded, insidious methods, they may approach YOU, inviting you to join in such desecrations of the natural world that the ingestion of Bananas is.

But Fear Not!

There is always a kind of underground, subversive pressure to succumb to this 'fruit', this 'food', but know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN RESISTANCE. In fact, every time you deny yourself a banana, you are bolstering the righteous' ranks! Remember when in the bleakest of culinary situations, when all hope seems lost, that you will be received as heroes among the just, shining beacons in the dark, testimony that EVIL WILL NOT PREVAIL!

Do Your Part!

If ever you should uncover a Banana eater (And oft they seem normal people in social situations, as wolves in sheepskin.) tell to them of the evils that Banana eating brings. Tell your friends and family about these people, for it is not enough to ostracize them! No, with enough pressure, even the most relentless of Banana eaters will be able to see right and wrong through their yellow-tinted eyes. It will try you, to convince the face and mouth of evil of its ways, as the worst evils face themselves not, but it has been done. Over two hundred of hell's legion of Banana eaters have been turned, and prove to be among the most sterling of our allies.

Succumb not, for at night, a candle glows brighter than the sun itself.

Dragonrider
2009-07-30, 10:34 AM
Realizing how much effort must have gone into that is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2009-07-30, 03:48 PM
Realizing how much effort must have gone into that is hilarious :smallbiggrin:

I agree.
If only he'd got the fact that a banana is not a 'fruit' but rather a 'berry' right, it would have been even better.

BTW..

1 banana
some milk chocolate
tinfoil
coals from a BBQ

Slice the banana lengthways, keeping the skin on
stuff pieces of chocolate into the banana
Wrap up in tinfoil
put on the BBQ
5-10 minutes later..... Banocolate bliss....

T-O-E
2009-07-30, 03:49 PM
I hate bananas. Worst fruit EVER.

Cyrano
2009-07-30, 03:56 PM
I hate bananas. Worst fruit EVER.

I'm afraid that hallowed position goes to the Durian, or possibly the news anchor.

evnafets
2009-07-30, 04:28 PM
Heres something that has bugged me for a while.
What is the correct way to peel a banana? Which end do you start from? The top (end with the stem) or the bottom?

Tiger Duck
2009-07-30, 04:30 PM
I always go for the stem.
But I don't claim to have superior knowledge

Blackknight1239
2009-07-30, 04:36 PM
You know, I really dislike Bananas. Yet, I love Banana-loaf. The stuff is awesome!

Icewalker
2009-07-30, 05:03 PM
I always find peeling from the stem much easier.

And, by the way, berries are fruits, and bananas are only arguably berries anyways.

zillion ninjas
2009-07-30, 05:04 PM
What is the correct way to peel a banana? Which end do you start from? The top (end with the stem) or the bottom?

I used to peel from the stem, until I saw this (http://lifehacker.com/5311002/open-a-banana-like-a-monkey). Apparently, the natural method is to start at the bottom.

Froogleyboy
2009-07-30, 05:04 PM
You know, I really dislike Bananas. Yet, I love Banana-loaf. The stuff is awesome!

I'm the exact opposite, I HATE banana loaf but love bananas

Dragonrider
2009-07-30, 05:22 PM
Heres something that has bugged me for a while.

I go from the bottom because it is more easily punctureable with my thumbnail. Whenever I try to go from the top, I end up mushing a quarter of the thing and ruining my day. :smallamused:

Totally Guy
2009-07-30, 05:26 PM
There was a monkey scientist that advised that you split the peel on the inner curve and started eating from the middle.

But you know, what revolutionary discoveries have monkey scientists ever made? So I've not tried it.

Coidzor
2009-07-30, 05:38 PM
All I know... Not enough girls eat {scrubblebubbley} suggestively as the movies would suggest.

GrandMasterMe
2009-07-30, 07:41 PM
I have witnessed the birth of a meme.....and It frightens me :smalleek:

Dragonrider
2009-07-30, 08:32 PM
All I know... Not enough girls eat {{scrubbed}}suggestively as the movies would suggest.

Fix'd. :smallbiggrin:

Note that I also made your post only that much more...ahh...risque. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2009-07-30, 08:48 PM
Fix'd. :smallbiggrin:

Note that I also made your post only that much more...ahh...risque. :smalltongue:

nah... if I wanted to be risque, I'd have said

All I know is this... Not enough girls lick {scrubbed}, lovingly tantalizing the {scrubbed} and audience with their tongues on the {scrubbed} and the look in their eyes. {scrubbed} and nothing but a smile, y'know? Never looked better on a dame.

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-30, 08:51 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has not only solidified the banana meme, but may be single-handedly responsible for a new rule against fake {Scrubbing}.