PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Critique: Axiom Mage PrC (3.5)

Lappy9000
2009-07-30, 12:54 PM
Ed. Note: My stuff rarely tends to get critiqued within the actual campaign setting, so I'm moving some of it here! Please evaluate and critique honestly!

The Axiom Mage
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs11/300W/i/2006/194/1/3/Gear_Mage_by_arcanemachinist.jpg
-Image by arcanemachinist (http://arcanemachinist.deviantart.com).

Known most famously among the ranks of the powerful wizards, axiom mages follow the supreme ideals of law incarnate. Some of these wizards themselves were (and are) axiom mages, although their apprentices made up most of the lawful mages. Channeling energies from a higher power, these spellcasters seek to bring order to a world they see as full of entropy and anarchy. Some are valiant, others are ruthless, yet all are methodic, efficient, and powerful.

Hit Die: d4
Requirements: To qualify to become an axiom mage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Lawful
Skill: Knowledge (Arcana) 9 Ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 9 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Table: Axiom Mage
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Axiom Magic 1/encounter, Detect Chaos|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Axiom Magic 2/encounter, Decorum|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Axiom Magic 3/encounter, Safeguard of Order|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Axiom Magic 4/encounter, Impenetrable Edict|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Axiom Magic 5/encounter, Power of Law|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class[/table]

Class Skills
The axiom mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Class Features
All the following are class features of the axiom mage prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Axiom mages gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new axiom mage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 3rd-level spells before he became an axiom mage, he must decide to which class he adds each level of axiom mage for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Axiom Magic (Su): An axiom mage gains the opportunity to use the special abilities from among those described below a certain number of times per encounter as shown on Table: The Axiom Mage.

Certainty: You force the power of order over an individual's fate. By touching the target, damage dice change progression to a more orderly fashion as shown on Table: Dice Progression for a number of rounds equal to your Intelligence modifier. Alternatively, as a touch attack, you can force damage dice used against the target to change progression.

Table: Dice Progression
{table=head]Old Damage Dice|New Damage Dice
d4|1d2+2
d6|1d4+2
d8|1d4+4
d10|1d6+4
d12|1d6+6[/table]

Conformity: As a touch attack, you partly release an individual from the constrains of identity. For a number of minutes equal to your Intelligence modifier, the creature becomes immune to spells or abilities that affect certain types or alignments, although they still retain all effects of their alignment and types. For example, an evil outsider targeted by Conformity would become immune to the effects of a paladin's smite evil and a ranger's favored enemy ability.

Efficiency: You maximize the potential of an individual. Upon a successful touch attack, beneficial magical effects upon the subject last for an additional number of rounds equal to your Intelligence modifier. A subject under the effects of Efficiency cannot gain the benefits of Efficiency again until all beneficial magical effects upon them have run out.

Inevitability: You reinstate the impending destiny ordained by fate. Upon a successful touch attack, beneficial magical effects currently in use upon the target halve their current duration.

Mandate: You channel knowledge of supreme law through your being and impart it upon another, weakening their defenses to an agent of higher powers. Upon a successful touch attack, the subject takes a penalty equal to 3 + your axiom mage level on all spells and spell-like effects cast by Lawful beings. This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Detect Chaos (Sp): At 1st level, an axiom mage can use Detect Chaos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectchaos.htm), at-will as if you had concentrated for 3 rounds.

Decorum (Ex): Knowledge of appropiate behavior and civility have allowed you to make use of your mind in the social arena. At 2nd level, you may add your Intelligence modifier to your Charisma modifier for all Charisma-based skill checks.

Safeguard of Order (Su): Upon reaching 3rd level, an axiom mage gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against attacks made by Chaotic creatures. This ability functions as a permanent Protection from Chaos (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionfromChaos.htm) spell.

Impenetrable Edict (Su): At 4th level, the methodic principles that drive an axiom mage allow them to bend reality around themselves, keeping lies apart from the truth. An axiom mage is continually surrounded by a Zone of Truth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/zoneOfTruth.htm).

Power of Law (Su): At 5th level, an axiom mage gains a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saves against attacks made by Chaotic creatures. Additionally, you gain Spell Resistance 25 Chaotic spells and spells cast by Chaotic creatures.

AstralFire
2009-07-30, 01:05 PM
I would make the entry based on Arcane Caster level, not spell level, so that Sorcerers are a little less slowed on entry.

Rather than an advancing per day, I'd favor a flat per-encounter with Axiom Magic. Overall, pretty cool and pretty neat little package, as per usual with you. You have a typo in the final ability, though, and your Int to Cha skills should clarify that it is added in addition to Cha, rather than instead of.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-07-30, 01:12 PM
1) The Axiom magic description is a bit unclear; does "An axiom mage gains the opportunity to select a special ability from among those described below a certain number of times per day" mean he chooses uses per day when leveling (like at 3rd level he picks Conformity 2/day and Efficiency 1/day and it's set) or does he pick when using the ability each day?

2) Most of the abilities duplicate spells, which is kind of boring. Making minor changes to make the abilities unique (like having Detect Chaos act as if you'd concentrated for 3 rounds, for instance) would help make things more interesting.

3) I agree with AstralFire that per-encounter uses fit better--a lawful power should be able to be used over and over with regularity throughout the day, rather than declining in power over the day. The abilities are situational enough that just keeping the same number of uses and making them /encounter instead of /day should be fine.

4) Mandate doesn't have a duration listed.

DracoDei
2009-07-30, 01:12 PM
Is the first ability on the list of things you can select a touch attack or what? Does it apply to damage dealt TO the target, or damage dealt BY the target?

Does safe-guard of order prevent mind-control?

EDIT: Since the entry requirements aren't onerous and there are not intrensic drawbacks to the class, you MIGHT want to lose spellcasting advancement at first level...

Lappy9000
2009-07-30, 01:18 PM
I would make the entry based on Arcane Caster level, not spell level, so that Sorcerers are a little less slowed on entry.They'd only need another level. But what would be the wording on that? Something along the lines of:
"Prerequisite: Arcane caster level 5th or higher"..?

Rather than an advancing per day, I'd favor a flat per-encounter with Axiom Magic.That's not a half bad idea. I may just go with that one!

Overall, pretty cool and pretty neat little package, as per usual with you.I have a standard! Yay, thank you :smallcool:

You have a typo in the final ability, though, and your Int to Cha skills should clarify that it is added in addition to Cha, rather than instead of. Ah, yes, that was what I meant to have it read, thanks!

1) The Axiom magic description is a bit unclear; does "An axiom mage gains the opportunity to select a special ability from among those described below a certain number of times per day" mean he chooses uses per day when leveling (like at 3rd level he picks Conformity 2/day and Efficiency 1/day and it's set) or does he pick when using the ability each day?He picks which one right before using it. I'll straighten it up.

2) Most of the abilities duplicate spells, which is kind of boring. Making minor changes to make the abilities unique (like having Detect Chaos act as if you'd concentrated for 3 rounds, for instance) would help make things more interesting.Granted, most of those abilities duplicate divine spells, but the Detect Chaos thing is a great idea.

3) I agree with AstralFire that per-encounter uses fit better--a lawful power should be able to be used over and over with regularity throughout the day, rather than declining in power over the day. The abilities are situational enough that just keeping the same number of uses and making them /encounter instead of /day should be fine.Yup, yup, gonna incorporate that.

4) Mandate doesn't have a duration listed.Well it shoud. Fixing!

Is the first ability on the list of things you can select a touch attack or what? Does it apply to damage dealt TO the target, or damage dealt BY the target?Touch range, and damage dealt. Although being able to do either is a pretty cool idea. Apparently there's a typo in there as well.

Does safe-guard of order prevent mind-control?Wouldn't be a bad idea. It...kinda got tacked on.

As a side note, I love you guys! :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-07-30, 02:16 PM
Ed. Note: My stuff rarely tends to get critiqued within the actual campaign setting, so I'm moving some of it here! Please evaluate and critique honestly!

Sounds good. Some of us have short attention spans and are more likely to critique stuff like this. :smallbiggrin:

I like the fluff. It's a concept which is simple and flexible, something that could fit into many settings (and so potentially useful for folks to use in their own worlds), but at the same time it's clearly-defined and unique (at least from what I've seen...).

Hit Die: d4
Requirements: To qualify to become an axiom mage, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Lawful
Skill: Knowledge (Arcana) 9 Ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 9 ranks
Spells: Ability to cast 3rd-level arcane spells.

Looks good. I think it's a very solid and reasonable set of prerequisites. Someone else suggested changing it to 5th level arcane caster, but frankly the "3rd level arcane spells" type requirement is pretty typical, and with the fluff of and ideas behind the class, I think a mild bias towards wizards isn't a bad thing.

The axiom mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Hmm, I'm not sure why you chose Bluff as a class skill. I might expand the list to include all Knowledge skills too, but I can see why you chose the ones you did.

Decorum (Ex): Knowledge of appropiate behavior and civility have allowed you to make use of your mind in the social arena. At 2nd level, you may add your Intelligence modifier to your Charisma modifier for all Charisma-based skill checks.

I might chance this to choosing to replace your Charisma modifier with your Intelligence modifier to make it a little more balanced, but I don't think it's a big deal either way. Interesting idea!

Hope that helps a bit!