PDA

View Full Version : [3.5r]PrC: Crimson Sycophant (PEACH)

mcl01
2009-08-01, 10:06 PM
Hey guys. I've had this idea in my head for quite a while after reading the Blood Magus PrC. I thought the Blood Magus was pretty cool, so I wanted to make a divine version for it. Any comments and suggestions (especially about relative power level) would be much appreciated.

Also, I've been seeing the phrase "PEACH" around here, and as this is my first homebrew, I don't know what it means. I'm assuming it means to check/critique? If anyone could clarify that, I'd appreciate it as well. Thanks!

And without further, ado, I present the Crimson Sycophant!

Crimson Sycophant
Reckless divine casters who seek their deity's divine favor through self-inflicted pain and suffering.

Requirements:
Must be non-good and serve a non-good deity
Concentration 8 ranks
Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness
Able to cast 3rd level divine spells

D8 Hit Die

Class Skills: Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points: 2 + Int per level

Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting
1 +0 +2 +0 +2 Blood Component (Lesser) +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
Bloodcasting (Lesser)
Pact of Pain
2 +1 +3 +0 +3 Fast Recovery +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3 +1 +3 +1 +3 Sacrifice (Least) -
4 +2 +4 +1 +4 Enduring Concentration +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5 +2 +4 +1 +4 Crimson Euphoria +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6 +3 +5 +2 +5 Sacrifice (Lesser) -
7 +3 +5 +2 +5 Blood Component (Greater) +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8 +4 +6 +2 +6 Bloodcasting (Greater) +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9 +4 +6 +3 +6 Sacrifice (Greater) -
10 +5 +7 +3 +7 Dying Pinnacle +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
Pact of Pain (Ex) - At 1st level, a Crimson Sycophant forges a pact with his deity, swearing to forego spells that cause magical relief from pain. If he ever casts or becomes a willing recipient to a Conjuration (healing) spell or any other spell that restores hit points to him, he loses all Crimson Sycophant class features (including spellcasting derived from Crimson Sycophant levels) until he receives a proper Atonement spell. As part of the atonement ritual, he must inflict upon himself an amount of damage greater than the amount of healing he receieved when he broke this pact (extra hit points beyond his max hit points do not count).

Blood Component (Lesser) (Su) - A Crimson Sycophant can substitute a drop of his blood for non-costly material components. The Crimson Sycophant gains the Eschew Materials feat as long as he is not at full health.

Blood Component (Greater) (Su) - At 7th level, a Crimson Sycophant can substitute a portion of his blood as a substitute for costly material components. He may instead lose 1 hit point per 25 gp of a spell's costly material component. Damage reduction does not apply to this.

Fast Recovery (Ex) - A Crimson Sycophant of 2nd level or higher recovers twice as many hit points as normal each night of rest. This ability stacks with other abilities, spells, feats, items, etc. with similar effects.

Enduring Concentration (Ex) - A Crimson Sycophant of 4th level or higher gets a bonus to concentration checks equal to his class level. Furthermore, he can always take 10 on concentration checks.

Bloodcasting (Su) - A Crimson Sycophant learns how to empower his spells using his blood. By losing 1 hit point (which can't be negated in any way), he can increase the CL of any spell he casts by 1.

Bloodcasting (Greater) (Su) - At 8th level, a Crimson Sycophant learns how to further manipulate his spells with blood. Up to Con times/day, a Crimson Sycophant can spontaneously apply any metamagic feat he knows to a spell he is about to cast with no change in spell level. Instead, the Crimson Sycophant takes 1d6 points of damage for each level increase of the metamagic applied.

Crimson Euphoria (Ex) - At 5th level, a Crimson Sycophant learns to appreciate and take joy in the pain he causes to his body. Any time lethal damage lowers his hit points (not temporary hit points), he gains an equal amount of temporary hit points. These temporary hit points last a number of minutes equal to his Crimson Sycophant level. As long as these temporary hit points last, he gains +1 to his CL.

Sacrifice (Ex) - At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, a Crimson Sycophant must sacrifice a portion of himself to continue gaining class features. If he does not do so, he does not gain any Crimson Sycophant class features for that level and any above until he completes his sacrifice ritual. The sacrifice ritual takes 1 hour to complete and takes a physical toll on his body and mind. After the ritual, the Crimson Sycophant permanently loses 3 max hit points, and takes both lethal and nonlethal damage equal to half his new hit point total (rounded down). All the sacrifices involve limb loss or permanent ability score drain. If the target regenerates his limbs or restores his ability drain by any means, he violates his Pact of Pain. Furthermore, he loses all benefit from his Sacrifice class feature until he undergoes the sacrifice ritual again.
Each Sacrifice furthermore comes with 3 stages of benefits: least, lesser, and greater. At 3rd level, he has one lesser sacrifice. At 6th level, all his sacrifices automatically advance to lesser, and at 9th, they all advance to greater. The effects are cumulative (I.e. A lesser stage sacrifice also includes the benefits of the least stage sacrifice)
Sacrifice Types:

Vitality – The character advances one age category. He takes all physical penalties for aging but does not obtain mental score increases.
Least – Immunity to disease
Lesser – Immunity to poison and paralysis
Greater – Immunity to Negative Energy
Mental Drain – The character takes 1d4 points of permanent intelligence, wisdom, and charisma drain
Least – The Crimson Sycophant gains Diehard as a bonus feat
Lesser - +2 Con
Greater - +4 Con
Physical Drain - The character takes 1d4 points of permanent strength, dexterity, and constitution drain
Least – The Crimson Sycophant immediately gains skill points as if he leveled up.
Lesser - +2 Wis
Greater - +4 Wis
Eye – The character sacrifices one eye of his choosing. He takes a -1 penalty to AC, -2 penalty to search and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. He takes a -5 penalty on all checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and spot checks). All opponents are considered to have concealment (20% miss chance).
Least – The crimson sycophant gains Blindfight as a bonus feat
Lesser - The crimson sycophant gains Blindsight. If the Crimson Sycophant sacrifices an Ear as well, this ability is downgraded to Blindsense.
Greater – The crimson sycophant can use True Seeing once per day as a SLA with a CL equal to his divine caster level.
[b]Ear – The character sacrifices one ear of his choosing. He takes a –2 penalty on initiative checks, takes a -5 penalty to all checks that rely on hearing (such as perform[instrument] and listen checks), and has a 10% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components.
Least – The Crimson Sycophant gains silent spell as a bonus feat
Lesser – The Crimson Sycophant can use Silence twice per day as a SLA with a CL equal to his divine caster level.
Greater – All of a Crimson Sycophant’s spells may be cast with the Silent Spell feat applied with no spell level adjustment.
Hand –The Crimson Sycophant sacrifices his off-hand. He may no longer use his off-hand (no shields, two-weapon fighting, two-handed weapons, bows and arrows, etc.). He also takes a -4 penalty to all Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. He takes a -4 penalty on grapple checks.
Least – The Crimson Sycophant gains Still Spell as a bonus feat
Lesser – The Crimson Sycophant gains Reach Spell as a bonus feat
Greater – All of a Crimson Sycophant’s spells may be cast with the Still Spell feat applied with no spell level adjustment.
Foot – The Crimson Sycophant sacrifices one foot of his choosing. His land speed decreases down to 5 feet. He may no longer take 5 foot steps. He may no longer charge or run. He takes a -10 penalty to all movement-based skill checks. He takes a -10 penalty against bull rushes and trip checks. He is always considered flat-footed while on the ground.
Least – The Crimson Sycophant gains a fly speed of 20 feet (good) (Su)
Lesser – The Crimson Sycophant can use Dimensional door as a SLA twice per day with a CL equal to his divine caster level.
Greater – The Crimson Sycophant can use teleport as a SLA once per day with a CL equal to his divine caster level.

Dying Pinnacle (Ex) – The Crimson Sycophant can choose to give up his life to his dark deity in a 24-hour-long ritual. After dying, he is automatically raised after 1 minute with constitution instead of level loss. He is now considered an outsider (native) rather than a humanoid for spells and magical effects. He gains Damage Reduction 10/Magic and no longer needs to eat, sleep, or breathe to survive. Additionally, he gains the ability to cast Miracle once per week as a SLA (but is limited to uses that do not cost XP).

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-08-01, 11:33 PM
I'll give it a more thorough read later, but the only issue I see on first glance is the name. "Sycophant" doesn't bring to mind a fairly powerful divine caster; disciple, cultist, occultist, initiate, or other terms would probably fit better.

AstralFire
2009-08-01, 11:36 PM
That was my immediate thought.

Crimson Supplicant?

mcl01
2009-08-02, 12:08 AM
Well I thought Sycophant would be a good term for a divine caster seeking to please and find favor with his deity at all costs. I suppose not. I might change it around then later. Initiate or Disciple probably fits well too. Cultist would imply a cult following, while the occultist just rubs me the wrong way.