PDA

View Full Version : dm inconsistency

almightyk
2009-08-02, 02:00 AM
have any of you been playing a game, and your Dm says something happens that contradicts something from earlier on?

for example, a kobold in a halfling village

Omegonthesane
2009-08-02, 02:07 AM
1. Think of a better example - a kobold in a halfling village is a tourist, not an inconsistency. :smalltongue:

2. Can a mod please move this to the Roleplaying Games subforum?

almightyk
2009-08-02, 02:24 AM
right my bad
didnt mean to put it in the wrong spot

how about ... hrmmm ... i cant actually think of an example

Kaihaku
2009-08-02, 05:40 AM
One of my best real life DMs is often inconsistent, especially over ruling how magic interacts in certain situations or the specifics of certain items. It's one of his weaknesses but it's hardly a damning one and we enjoy playing with him regardless.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-02, 06:07 AM
2. Can a mod please move this to the Roleplaying Games subforum?

Seconded.
But, unless you're in a different time zone than me, it seems you should consider getting some sleep.

TheGrimace
2009-08-02, 10:49 AM
I think it's the DMG that says something along the lines of

To be an interesting Dungeon Master, you need to be able to improvise responses and answers. However, a few hours of preparation and these tricks make improvising easier.

Really, that's an axis that DM's personalities can be found on. Do they know the answer, or do they make up an answer. The latter sounds worse, and it is the one famed for this drawback, but it has the benefit where character creativity is much better fostered (it doesn't "not work" because it would screw up my awesome fire trap battle.)

In other words, yeah, it happens, and it's frustrating. But I do it all the time, and my pc's would rather play with a me style dm than a heavy preparer (most of the time)