PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Trickster

mwesley91
2009-08-03, 01:04 PM
I've never been too proficient at character building but I really want to learn how to do it right. I was wondering if you thought this would be a good character. 5 Rouge, 5 Wizard, 10 Arcane Trickster.

Tiefling

Str:10
Dex:21
Con:10
Int:18
Wis:10
Cha:12

Feats: Luck of Heroes, Weapon Finese, Combat casting, Extend Spell, Spell Penetration, Arcane Trickster Spell Casting (Wizard), Quicken Spell, Maximize Spell, Blind Fight

Also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make an Arcane Trickster with a bard.

Thanks for all the help.

Edwin
2009-08-03, 01:24 PM
It seems pretty standard, with nothing too saucy.

Solid build.

Though I have one piece of advice for ya; you have got to specify what you want for you character.

Should he/she be a master thief, using arcane powers to do breaking and entering? Should he be a skilled bounty hunter, infiltrating houses and castle by magical means, and then sneak the target out the thieving way?

And there are tons of other possibilities. Just specify what you want to be, and the forum will guide you on your way.

Now, what do you want with this build?

AstralFire
2009-08-03, 01:34 PM
Just FYI, the Games board is a better source for build help than homebrew, though the two do have a lot of cross over. :smallsmile:

Combat Casting is bad; take Skill Focus instead as it is more generally applicable feat and you should try to avoid getting yourself in melee range to begin with.

Wouldn't bother with Blind-Fight as I'm sure there are spells that do it much, much better.

I'd swap Dex and Int. Save DCs are amazing.

Have you considered taking the Beguiler Class instead?

mwesley91
2009-08-03, 03:51 PM
No, I haven't tried the Beguiler class. I'll look into it. Thanks

Jergmo
2009-08-03, 06:26 PM
Yeah, but Beguilers can't sneak attack!

mwesley91
2009-08-03, 08:18 PM
Yeah, but Beguilers can't sneak attack!

Yeah, which I believe it got +5d6 sneak, if I'm remembering correctly. I don't think that the +3d6 from the 5 Rogue levels stack, does it?

Calmar
2009-08-04, 02:46 PM
Sneak attack from different sources stacks.

Devils_Advocate
2009-08-04, 08:02 PM
Rogue/Beguiler/Arcane Trickster would be a better choice than Rogue/Bard/Arcane Trickster. I'm pretty sure that Beguiler has better spellcasting, and that's the only thing from either class that AT advances. But I don't think that it gets mage hand...

I believe that Practiced Spellcaster is strictly better than Spell Penetration for a character two or more spellcaster levels behind.

Skill Focus (Concentration) is generally regarded as superior to Combat Casting. It's less situational.

Arcane Trickster Spell Casting? :smallconfused: That's... not a feat.

LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) is generally considered more balanced than the normal level adjustment rules.

You don't need 5 levels of Rogue; you're better off entering the PrC sooner. Forget Rogue 4 too, unless you'd rather have Uncanny Dodge than another level of Wizard casting.

Unless you plan on using several Cha-based skills a whole bunch, you're probably safer prioritizing Con over Cha.

mwesley91
2009-08-04, 08:05 PM
Sneak attack from different sources stacks.

So it would have +8d6? Thanks. All of you.

mwesley91
2009-08-04, 08:07 PM
Arcane Trickster Spell Casting? :smallconfused: That's... not a feat.

I'm having to use a Neverwinter Nights builder.