PDA

View Full Version : [blank] in the playground

Cryssandra
2009-08-03, 06:01 PM
I have seen the remnants of these nomination threads for [insert here] in the playground. Can I get an explanation as to what these are? I believe I knew once, but I have completely forgotten.

Thanks!

RTGoodman
2009-08-03, 06:03 PM
I believe those go on in Silly Message Board Games, but I don't know if they're that active any more.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-03, 06:05 PM
There used to be [insert thing] ITP competitions, hosted by Lord Herman in the Structured Games subforum of the Silly Message Board forum.

Cryssandra
2009-08-03, 06:06 PM
So, are they not hosted anymore? I'm very intrigued by them.

Mordokai
2009-08-03, 06:07 PM
They were the competitions hosted by Lord Herman, in SMBG and Structured, as rtg0922 kindly pointed out. Each had it's theme and after each there were rewards. I myself got quite a few, false modesty aside, as you can see in my signature :smallbiggrin: Each would have debate, nominations and competition itself. I believe Herman is no longer hosting them, but I can't say for sure if they'll ever be back. You can find every last one of them and results here (http://home.planet.nl/~hdgoede/tdg/StickArt/Gallery/Competitions.html).

Cryssandra
2009-08-03, 06:08 PM
Oh! Cool! Thanks Mordokai!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-03, 06:14 PM
I'l be sure to bother Herman about them at the meet-up.:smalltongue:

Mordokai
2009-08-03, 06:23 PM
Oh! Cool! Thanks Mordokai!

Anytime, m'dear :smallsmile:

The Neoclassic
2009-08-03, 06:24 PM
Hmm, I wonder if he'd mind if we started up our own round of itP contests. With new themes of course. I might even be willing to make the trophies for them now that I'm back into Inkscape. :smallbiggrin:

Cryssandra
2009-08-03, 06:26 PM
I dunno... I kinda would rather participate in an official one.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-03, 06:26 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt people would be reaaaally enthousiastic.

The ones that were there for the majority of the contests, I mean.:smalltongue:

It wouldn't be as official/real without Herman to me, anyway.

And you'd need a 100% good trophy maker who you know will do it on time.

Because people don't like waiting on their shinies.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-03, 06:29 PM
Hey, it was just a thought. :smalltongue:

Anyway, if Lord Herman can come back and do them again, all the better. But if he hasn't been around for a while... *Shrugs*

Mordokai
2009-08-03, 06:34 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt people would be reaaaally enthousiastic.

The ones that were there for the majority of the contests, I mean.:smalltongue:

It wouldn't be as official/real without Herman to me, anyway.

And you'd need a 100% good trophy maker who you know will do it on time.

Because people don't like waiting on their shinies.

There are other good artists out there, other than Herman even :smalltongue: Not saying Herman is bad or anything, but it's the truth.

Also, I don't know if Herman has a monopoly on the ...itP contests, but if he doesn't, they are up for grab for anybody who wants to host them. I think he'll say it for himself when he notices this thread.

I'm not trying to lessen Herman's work here, not in the least. He did a lot of work and for I and, I believe, most of Playground is grateful for him. But if he's not keeping the keeps on the competitions we should allow anybody who wants to host them do so. Like I said, best wait for Herman to come around and say his piece. But you really shouldn't be so blunt. Honesty is good and everything, but to the point. I believe you were a little to honest here today.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-03, 06:41 PM
It's 2 AM here. >< Sorry if I offended anybody or anything.

Also, I do know there are other good artists. >.>

Blue Ghost
2009-08-03, 07:52 PM
I'm definitely hoping for some more of these ITP contests. Maybe reruns of some old ones, because the faces here have changed a lot since they started. (And I didn't have an opportunity to run for most of them.)

PirateMonk
2009-08-03, 09:24 PM
At one point during the 2007 contests, Zephra ran a Barbaric/Civilized contest while Lord Herman took a break. So there is precedent for it, if anyone wants to run another.

Cryssandra
2009-08-03, 09:44 PM
Well, if Herman doesn't speak up later, we should try one!

Lord Herman
2009-08-03, 10:47 PM
And here I am! Hi! :smallsmile:

I've taken a short break from the contests, but there'll be another one soon. Just have to think of a good theme. It's been a year since the last Good and Evil contest, so I might go with another one of those.

I do, however, think I have a 'monopoly' on these contests. If I weren't planning on running them myself again after this little break, I'd probably allow someone else to take over if they asked, but I wouldn't appreciate it if someone just went and made a new itP contest without asking. So I hope you were at least planning to shoot me a PM before usurping my throne as grand poobah of the itP contests. :smalltongue:

Shades of Gray
2009-08-03, 10:48 PM
I still like the idea of "Movie genres" in the playground...

Crimmy
2009-08-03, 10:49 PM
So I hope you were at least planning to shoot me a PM before usurping my throne as grand poobah of the itP contests. :smalltongue:

They are so sorry, Oh Grand Poobah!
Well, how about a western itP?
You know, John wayne, The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, Spaghetti, etc.

Cyrano
2009-08-03, 10:49 PM
^^The only problem is there'd be a good 20 categories, especially when we have to add David Lynch as a category on his own.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-03, 10:51 PM
Ooh, another Good and Evil contest? Count me in! But I'm going to be quite busy this school year, so I'm not sure I'll be able to do much campaigning. :smallfrown:

Mr. Mud
2009-08-03, 11:03 PM

I've taken a short break from the contests, but there'll be another one soon. Just have to think of a good theme. It's been a year since the last Good and Evil contest, so I might go with another one of those.

I do, however, think I have a 'monopoly' on these contests. If I weren't planning on running them myself again after this little break, I'd probably allow someone else to take over if they asked, but I wouldn't appreciate it if someone just went and made a new itP contest without asking. So I hope you were at least planning to shoot me a PM before usurping my throne as grand poobah of the itP contests. :smalltongue:

Maybe something where teams of two run for something? Like Dynamic Duo-itp.

Haruki-kun
2009-08-03, 11:03 PM
I'm definitely hoping for some more of these ITP contests.

YES!

Maybe reruns of some old ones.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Vaarsuvius89/NO.jpg

He recently did re-runs of the older ones. While they were very fun as contests, many people felt they wanted new stuff.

Either way, I do agree with bringing them back.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-03, 11:17 PM
Maybe something where teams of two run for something? Like Dynamic Duo-itp.

We just had one of those a few months back. I missed it. :smallfrown:

Raiser Blade
2009-08-03, 11:29 PM
Posting to show of my trophies.

Edit: If you do return to contest running I would like to suggest the old style trophies. Heck I can't tell what half the people have won with the newfangled gold ones.[/oldtimer]

skywalker
2009-08-03, 11:56 PM
Edit: If you do return to contest running I would like to suggest the old style trophies. Heck I can't tell what half the people have won with the newfangled gold ones.[/oldtimer]

+1

I see stuff like Raiser's in a sig, I know exactly what they are.

The little gold things are just that, to me.

Hell Puppi
2009-08-04, 12:33 AM
I'm going to selfishly say we should run more so I can have a shot at winning something.

Exeson
2009-08-04, 04:57 AM
Personally I think while the ITP contests were awesome fun they are kind of a legacy of the forum's past, and maybe deserve to remain so?

And can anyone remember we were really struggling to come up with good ideas after a while, so maybe we leave them for a bit? and perhaps re-run them in a few months/ beginning of 2010?

Icewalker
2009-08-04, 05:16 AM
I'm going to selfishly say we should run more so I can have a shot at winning something.

My thoughts exactly.

Castaras
2009-08-04, 06:06 AM
Hehe, thanks for the link to the pages on the contests... man that brought back so many memories.

*waves to Darius* :smallbiggrin: I'm still more drowy than you!

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-04, 06:39 AM
Wooo!
More shinies to add to my lair of loot! Mountain of bronze and silver and awesome trophies!:smallbiggrin:

If Lord Herman would host them again, that is >.>

Lord Herman
2009-08-04, 07:06 AM
Alrightey, I've posted the 2009 edition of Good and Evil in the Playground in Structured Games. It'll appear once a mod has approved it.

Player_Zero
2009-08-04, 07:16 AM
Awww... Does this mean I'm gonna have to give back my Chaos itP at some point?

P.S. You can take my Pirate trophy from my cold, dead hands.

Lord Herman
2009-08-04, 07:26 AM
Don't worry, your trophies won't be taken away. The new contests will have new trophies, which will be clearly marked as 2009 Edition ones.

Ichneumon
2009-08-04, 07:30 AM
Can't we do animal phyla itp? I would love to fight for the title of Arthropod in the playground.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-04, 10:03 AM
Yay. Another chance to use my old banners!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/EBILNursery.gif
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n141/maskedllama/ebillyre.png

Oh course, I'll be running for neutral this year.

Blue Ghost
2009-08-04, 11:36 AM
... What alignment are you actually? :smallconfused:
I'd love to take a stab at Good itP, but I'll be gone for a week next week, so it may be difficult for me to campaign.

Icewalker
2009-08-04, 02:01 PM
I'd go for Neutral...

I would be much more interested in an animal phyla contest, though there are 36 of them, and one of them covers pretty much anything vertebrate.

Perhaps mammal/bird/reptile in the playground (vertebrates in the playground), could even play around with going into specifics, like for bird:
Ostrich, duck, albatross, penguin, vulture, flamingo, eagle, hawk, crane, dove, owl, swift, hummingbird, woodpecker...lots of choices. :smalltongue: ...AVIARY! Ah, my book...

Fauna is entertaining.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-08-04, 09:52 PM
... What alignment are you actually? :smallconfused:

Goodish-ebil, apparently. *shrug*

Cryssandra
2009-08-05, 09:19 PM

I wouldn't try something like that... Of course I would PM you first!

Lord Herman
2009-08-06, 09:03 AM
The thread for Good and Evil in the Playground, 2009 Edition is up. Linky!

Recaiden
2009-08-06, 09:40 AM
We just did cat/dog/mouse/platypus, right?