PDA

View Full Version : Mothership Zeta!

Anung Un Rama
2009-08-04, 05:47 AM
Having feverishly downloaded the last of Fallout 3's dlc i have only just managed to prize my fingers away from the controller after playing through it and i have just one thing to say; IT WAS FUDGING AWESOME

Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions on it?

king.com
2009-08-04, 07:24 AM
Worth the purchase then?

Comet
2009-08-04, 08:01 AM
Oh snap, and I haven't even gotten around to downloading Point Lookout yet. Looks like I'm in for a lenghty session of Fallout 3 soon. Fun, fun, fun.

Tafkan
2009-08-04, 11:26 AM
What, you actually liked it? Browsing through the official forums, this seems to be the most hated and criticized one yet.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-04, 11:27 AM
What, you actually liked it? Browsing through the official forums, this seems to be the most hated and criticized one yet.

Moreso than Operation: Anchorage?

Damn, that takes some doing. Good thing I decided to pass on this one.

Tafkan
2009-08-04, 11:30 AM
Moreso than Operation: Anchorage?

Damn, that takes some doing. Good thing I decided to pass on this one.
Aye, apparently some people liked O:A more than this.

I might as well get it just for the sake of some RP items though. Heard of some samurai armor/katana/medic armor.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-04, 11:34 AM
I only played halfway through it because my computer crashed and I didn't have the will to continue, but I must say, I agree that I enjoyed operation anchorage more.

At least operation anchorage had SOME wide-open areas.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-04, 11:41 AM
I might as well get it just for the sake of some RP items though. Heard of some samurai armor/katana/medic armor.

In other words, the same reason many people still play Operation: Anchorage: cool toys.

I don't know who said it, but they said it best: The loot at the end of Operation Anchorage is basically the game's way of saying "sorry that sucked, but here's some cool stuff."

Thanatos 51-50
2009-08-04, 12:27 PM
I looked through info on Mothership Zeta on the Vault, and the only thing that really caught my interest was the Winterized Medic Armour.
It's almost like Bethesda is trying to apologise for not giving me the Winterised Combat Armour at the end of O:A.

I'm not falling for it.
Okay, so I'm going to fall for it, anyway because it looks cool.

Anung Un Rama
2009-08-04, 01:02 PM
Ok, I'll admit its mostly action and has very little exploration in it, but I would by no means say it was as bad as O:A.

It has loads of awesome new toys (unique plasma pistol anyone?) and is like all the Fallout 3 dlc's, a blast. It has all the usual twisted humour and action (using brahmin and raiders for target practice on the alien shooting range was awesome) and In my opinion will be greatly underrated by many who fight their way through the clouds of skepticism surrounding it.

Im not saying you'll like it, but Fallout 3's awesomeness comes from all of its gameplay-exploration, action and storytelling, but make no mistake this is very much a dlc focused on action and loot. Granted, Point lookout and Broken Steel achieved a better balance of all the aspects of Fallout 3's winning formula, but MZ is still damn good.

(also the samurai armour is kickass)

SilentDragoon
2009-08-04, 01:21 PM
I don't know about worse than Operation Anchorage, personally I thought it was Operation Anchorage Part 2: Now with a slight amount of plot and more Shinies! The Healing archways and every tight small corridor with a big headed alien at the end made me cringe. Some of the new stuff was nice, though I can't figure out how to use the drone cannon just yet, and the allies were actually decent, but for the most part it wasn't up to the level of The Pitt. I'd personally put it narrowly above Anchorage (Which I did like more than most, though it was practically Halo instead of Fallout) and far below the other three especially Pitt.

Edit and minor widely published spoiler: The addon picks up a bit after you get additional people, if they had left it like the beginning stretch, prior to the Engineering Core, it would have been worse than O:A for me.

Anung Un Rama
2009-08-05, 03:55 AM
I'll agree, it may be one of the worse Fallout 3 expansions, but it still kicks ass. You cant compare BS and MZ because Broken Steel is just far better, but MZ is still really fun and has a lot of awesome stuff. I would definitely say its worth the points/money but I'm just one one obsessed gamer, form your own friggin' opinions.

Comet
2009-08-05, 04:12 AM
I've nearly finished with Mothership Zeta, but my game keeps crashing on me.
It's linear but damn if it isn't fun.
The following bit may be a spoiler, so cover your eyes, little ones:
You team up with a wastelander robotics expert, a little girl, a soldier from Anchorage, a Cowboy from the past and a Samurai to fight an evil alien power that's been manipulating and collecting earthlings for centuries.
What part of that is not completely awesome? We also get brand new shiny weapons (the alien disintegrator is my favourite) and while the ship may be linear it at least looks really good.

So yeah, I'm having lots and lots of fun with this one.

Edit: Finished it now and I have to say that the final battle was one of the most glorious things ever. And the "prize" for this DLC was pretty awesome, I think :smalltongue:

ShadowFighter15
2009-08-05, 09:56 PM
I was a bit annoyed with the prize, only a bit though.
I was hoping I'd be able to explore the whole ship afterwards and get some of the stuff I'd missed, or at least go through optional areas like the Cargo Hold. A shame I wasn't warned about those areas being closed off beforehand. A certain little girl should've warned me if she knows so much about the damn ship.

Damn fun DLC, I just wish I'd gotten a bit of warning about that.

Myatar_Panwar
2009-08-05, 11:03 PM
Has there been any word on some kind of all-in-one pack in the future? I haven't bought any of the DLC yet, and want to, but $10 a piece means I won't be able to get all of them.

Alternatively, which would you guys suggest if I were to just buy 2 or 3?

SilentDragoon
2009-08-06, 12:11 AM
I don't know about an all in one, but Pitt was the best in my opinion, and you should probably get Broken Steel to fix the game ending and allow level 30. After that... anything but Anchorage?

Stormthorn
2009-08-06, 12:24 AM
I dont have Op:A yet but i can give my opinion on Zeta. It was pretty cool. The combat was the most intense and difficult yet. My primary character that i took into Zeta routinly hunts detahclaws and has about 100 hands scattered over his house (Payback for killing Charon, those damn deathclaws) but i used well over a hundred stimpacks throught Zeta and my power armor broke down three times.

Im also trying it with a character thats a lower level. So far at low levels Point Lookout is the toughest* and at higher levels Zeta is the toughest.

I only recently got pit but at low levels it was mostly a cake walk. A very fun cakewalk with a good story tho.

Zeta had backstory. But no current story. Of course, that makes it more lifelike i suppose but even FPSs like HL2 and Halo had storylines of some sort.

But on the other other hand. Lots of cool energy weapons. My main is an energy weapon character. Nuff said.

*flat damage bonuses on the mutant rednecks mean more when you have a lower health.

Alleine
2009-08-06, 12:49 AM
I was disappointed with Zeta after watching the trailer for it. It sounded to me like you'd be directed through the ship by a guy who left holotapes or something in a desperate attempt to find out what the aliens wanted and stop them.

Nope. Instead you're given a small annoying companion(WHY do SO MANY DEVELOPERS feel the need to put these in their games, WHY?!?!) who constantly tries to tell you things in the midst of a very loud and dangerous fight. Luckily you don't have to put up with her the whole time. You don't even find out what the aliens wanted :(

On the whole I thought it was better than anchorage though. The ship was a nice change of pace. The allies were tough enough to remain useful the whole time, the sexy, sexy new weapons mean I won't be using anything else unless I run out of ammo, the longish recordings were interesting to listen to, and the ending was pretty awesome :D

My only other complaints are the shields and inability to explore afterward. Not so much the difficulty in hurting the aliens, but the fact that their shields were made out of pure lag I kid you not. When facing up to three of the shielded aliens my machine would slow to a crawl and cry for mercy as it was beaten with needlessly complicated graphic requests.
And lastly, post-win exploration is impossible. Made me sad because I missed areas, or wanted to go back to look through areas I'd been through already.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives though. I put it above Anchorage in usefulness(weapon and perk-wise) and above it in fun.

Keris
2009-08-06, 05:32 AM
Has there been any word on some kind of all-in-one pack in the future? I haven't bought any of the DLC yet, and want to, but $10 a piece means I won't be able to get all of them.
All the DLC will be in Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition. That's going to be the closest to an all-in-one pack, but it's not really any cheaper than buying the DLC separately.

The Pitt and Broken Steel. If you get 3, then Point Lookout as well.

Cristo Meyers
2009-08-06, 07:30 AM

In order of preference, leaving out Mothership Zeta as I don't have it:

Broken Steel
Point Lookout
The Pitt
Operation: Anchorage

The Pitt and Point Lookout is a tough call. The Pitt is easier and has some cool gear, but shorter. Point Lookout is huge as DLC's go, but the creatures will give you fits with their magical +35 damage (though it is entertaining the first time a swampfolk gets the drop on you and you realize he's shooting a BB gun at you).

expirement10K14
2009-08-06, 08:20 AM

1. Broken Steel- Fixes ending, level cap at 30, perks, decent quests etc.
2. Point Lookout- Easily the largest DLC, fun quests, hilarious quests, easter eggs, fun enemies.
3. The Pitt- Second best story, decent armor, ammo press, moral choices
Then its a tie between Operation: Anchorage and Mothership zeta. Both are pretty linear, both essentially don't allow you to go back (Mothership zeta lets you visit a few places). Mothership Zeta has a better game play, while Operation: Anchorage has much better rewards (Best armor in the game), while also having the worst game play of all the DLCs.

shadow_archmagi
2009-08-06, 09:41 AM
I think I may have enjoyed Mothership Zeta less because I'd already BEEN using a plasma rifle for quite some time and

"HEY LOOK! YOUR NEW WEAPON IS A PLASMA RIFLE ONLY WE USED MS PAINT TO COLOR THE BULLETS WHITE"

Bryn
2009-08-06, 10:01 AM
For people with the PC version of Fallout 3 and Point Lookout, this mod (http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7263) removes the extra damage, making things easier.

I haven't played Point Lookout yet, so I can't comment on whether it's better or worse than The Pitt.

hustlertwo
2009-08-06, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure Mothership Zeta would offer a better reward than the Gauss Rifle. I was playing as an Energy Weapons character the time I went through Operation Anchorage, and I used that thing quite a lot. Awful handy to be able to stop a charging deathclaw or giant radscorpion by blasting it off its feet. Plus, unlike most other sniper weapons in the game, this one actually can be used effectively outside of VATS for long-distance fighting, because the projectile it fires is so damn big that it's pretty much guaranteed to hit.

Black_Pants_Guy
2009-08-06, 09:48 PM
I found a mod that adds Driveable MotorCycles: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6005

:smallbiggrin:

Archonic Energy
2009-08-07, 04:35 AM
I found a mod that adds Driveable MotorCycles: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6005

:smallbiggrin:

That is COOL... i must download that when i get home!

i wanted a mount. i think you should have to repair it yourself from a "Chassis" 2x "motorcycle handbrake", 1x "motorcycle gas tank", 6x "pilot lights*, 1x fusion battery and 300x "flamer fuel"

* they should have had spark plugs as a item

Eldan
2009-08-07, 05:16 AM
Argh! There I was looking forward to drivable motorcycles, and, again, like all cool mods, it requires the script extender, which just doesn't want to work!

Zeta Kai
2009-08-07, 05:39 AM
You rang!?

...Oh. Sorry, false alarm. Nevermind...

Keris
2009-08-07, 06:47 AM
i wanted a mount. i think you should have to repair it yourself from a "Chassis" 2x "motorcycle handbrake", 1x "motorcycle gas tank", 6x "pilot lights*, 1x fusion battery and 300x "flamer fuel"
IIRC, you have to repair one of the broken motorcycles in the wastes to get a functional one in J3X's version, although that might have changed since I last installed it. I think it was something like "2x Handbrakes, 1x Gas Tank, 6x Scrap Metal".

Argh! There I was looking forward to drivable motorcycles, and, again, like all cool mods, it requires the script extender, which just doesn't want to work!
What problems are you seeing with FOSE? It's always worked fine for me.

Eldan
2009-08-07, 06:48 AM
Basically, one that I can't quite explain: when I start the game via FOSE, it tells me that it now won't log into Windows Live. Then I get a message that, since I'm not on windows live, it won't let me access my savegames. That's extremely annoying.

Keris
2009-08-07, 07:02 AM
Basically, one that I can't quite explain: when I start the game via FOSE, it tells me that it now won't log into Windows Live. Then I get a message that, since I'm not on windows live, it won't let me access my savegames. That's extremely annoying.
Well, that's because FOSE isn't compatible with GfWL. GfWL sees that FOSE made some changes to how Fallout is running, and refuses to work. It's an anti-cheating measure for multiplayer games that for some reason is still in Fallout.
To access your GfWL savegames while using FOSE, go into My Documents/My Games/Fallout3/Saves and then move the contents of the [Your GfWL Profile] folder into the Saves folder. You'll have to move them back if you run Fallout 3 with GfWL again.

Eldan
2009-08-07, 07:18 AM
Ah, nice. I saw the "can't run windows live" thing mentioned on the FOSE webpage, but I'm pretty sure I never saw that savegame-moving thing mentioend anywhere. Thanks a lot. I'll now go and mod the hell out of this game.

Keris
2009-08-07, 07:28 AM
Ah, nice. I saw the "can't run windows live" thing mentioned on the FOSE webpage, but I'm pretty sure I never saw that savegame-moving thing mentioend anywhere. Thanks a lot.
'Tis in the "Troubleshooting / FAQ" section of the ReadMe, first question. :smalltongue:

I'll now go and mod the hell out of this game.
And the game keeps getting better as you do so. :smallcool:

Eldan
2009-08-07, 07:30 AM
I'm obviously incompetent at FAQ searching. :smallbiggrin:
I mean, I read that thing!

Name_Here
2009-08-07, 08:12 AM
So I probably already know the answer to this but does it add any useful gear to a fist fighting character who refuses to wear power armor because it would lower her agility? I enjoy heavy weapons and explosives as well but energy and small guns are kept in my home right next to the power armor.

ZeroNumerous
2009-08-07, 08:13 AM
So I probably already know the answer to this but does it add any useful gear to a fist fighting character who refuses to wear power armor because it would lower her agility?

The Tesla Armor has no hit to your agility at the cost of no boon to strength.

Keris
2009-08-07, 08:34 AM
So I probably already know the answer to this but does it add any useful gear to a fist fighting character who refuses to wear power armor because it would lower her agility? I enjoy heavy weapons and explosives as well but energy and small guns are kept in my home right next to the power armor.
MZ doesn't actually add any new Power Armour, but the new weapons are mainly energy weapons dependant.
There is the Winterized Medic Armour (combat armour re-tex) and the Samurai armour, which has a slightly higher DR/Weight ratio and boosts your melee skill. It also adds one big gun (the Drone Cannon), a couple of explosives (Cryo Grenades and Mines), and a couple of melee weapons (Samurai's Sword, Shock Baton and a cut content Wrench and Katana if you're on PC).

Tesla Power Armour wasn't added my Mothership Zeta. I also don't think it would fit with a theme to wear Tesla PA but not any other, the lack of an AG hit is an oversight on in my opinion.

Name_Here
2009-08-07, 08:38 AM

Hence the reason I don't wear it. Ranger Battle armor and Med-X are more than enough to keep my character alive and the luck boost is an actual stat boost

Though the thought of the character wearing Samurai armor, a Hockey mask and the trusty deathclaw gauntlet might be amusing enough to have me DL it.

Narr Storm
2009-08-27, 09:32 AM
my friend thinks it was too repetative