PDA

View Full Version : Its not the Fifth of November...

Beleriphon
2006-08-04, 10:12 PM
... but I got my copy of V for Vendetta.

Ah, good times. Anybody else pick up a copy?

Wizzardman
2006-08-04, 10:47 PM
I rented it, and 6 minutes ago finished watchigng it for the first time.

All I can say: Woot. Freedom! Forever!

I was more impressed with this than any Matrix movies, and it managed to maintain significant similarity to the original [what it did change still fit with the theme, anyway], so I am pleased.

Dark_Lotus
2006-08-04, 11:44 PM
I saw it in theaters....but I'll have to pick it up as soon as possible. Which may be a while, I finally started working a second job so I can afford more than rent, gas, and ramen noodles. :) Netflix, maybe? Once I've gotten a little more money, anyway.

soozenw
2006-08-06, 09:24 PM
ah i saw it 2 times in the theater. i love that movie. hugo weaving is a genius.

Hungerdog
2006-08-07, 04:02 PM
I got my copy end of last week and watched it over the weekend. Then I immediately watched it again.

This film is brilliant. First, it's pretty darned true to the graphic novel. Second, the performances are fantastic, as is the cinematography and the effects. Third, it's currently topical and wonderfully subversive.

What a great film!!!

Big_Red_Bird
2006-08-07, 06:56 PM
Rented it the other night. I was desperate to see it because it was the only movie in my hotel while I was in NY that didn't work. It became a mystery that needed to be solved.

I loved it. It was magnificent, though (spoiler) Sutler was a horrible dictator. How could he not be prepared for Creedy to betray him?

Beleriphon
2006-08-08, 02:00 AM
Its actually explained in much more detail in the comic. He falls further and further into his own obsessions, and insanity V is actually manipulating him in the comics surprisingly well.

Tptmanno1
2006-08-08, 02:05 AM
Incredible movie, We were in need of a good revolutionary movie to get everyones blood flowing.
But yea don't buy movies at Wal-mart. Its hard.
Freedom Forever!

Democratus
2006-08-08, 07:19 AM
It's all bread and circuses.

Give the people a good catharsis about revolution and they will be less likely to throw a real one of their own.

Altair_the_Vexed
2006-08-08, 07:53 AM
Posted by: Democratus Posted on: Today at 12:19pm
It's all bread and circuses.

Give the people a good catharsis about revolution and they will be less likely to throw a real one of their own.

Ah yes - the danger of the satirist as a political agitator: if one is too good, one will dilute the will to bring change. Which is how Ben Elton kept the Thatcher government going all through the 80s...

slapdash
2006-08-08, 08:01 AM
I loved this movie. I don't understand why Natalie Portman was in it; I mean, she and Kiera Knightley look exactly the same, and Kiera's already British. (And, I think, a better actress.)

I have one beef about this movie.
SPOILER
Evie and V falling in love. Yech. What a lame change.

The Prince of Cats
2006-08-09, 04:47 AM
Which is how Ben Elton kept the Thatcher government going all through the 80s...
I think it may have been her policies and politics more than Ben Elton, or else that we just needed a strong leader to get us through. She did stay in and even get replaced by a 'grey man' who turned out just as uncompromising when he needed to be.

Kiera's already British. (And, I think, a better actress.)
One word; Domino... Really... I cannot stand Knightly...

Spuddly
2006-08-10, 01:24 AM
Did anyone else find it sort of weird that American filmmakers were blowing up British monuments?

I wonder what the reaction in the States would have been if it'd had been a terrorist blowing up the Statue of Liberty and the White House.

The Prince of Cats
2006-08-10, 06:47 AM
Did anyone else find it sort of weird that American filmmakers were blowing up British monuments?

I wonder what the reaction in the States would have been if it'd had been a terrorist blowing up the Statue of Liberty and the White House.
I think we Brits just have a different perspective on these things. We got bombed by the IRA for years, so we know it can happen. We also have little or no trust in authority, so I am not sure many of us could ever say that we could condemn V entirely.

Was V a terrorist? Or was he a freedom fighter? As a Brit, I think the latter.

Beleriphon
2006-08-10, 10:45 PM
I think we Brits just have a different perspective on these things. We got bombed by the IRA for years, so we know it can happen. We also have little or no trust in authority, so I am not sure many of us could ever say that we could condemn V entirely.

I'm sure that V is a terrorist. Despite what the movie depicts him as, what with the people being afraid of the government, in the comic he's much more a true anarchist in that there should be no government. The "land of do as you please" as he likes to call it, or rather as Evie first names it. This is the one point that I think is missed in the movie, and one fault that I can find with the interpretation. Well not fault, but change that I didn't like.

bosssmiley
2006-08-12, 12:54 PM
Getting it on Monday.

Didn't think the film was all that true to the original comic (the references to "America's war" were especially clumsy), but it was a fun companion piece to "1984" (also John Hurt) and "The Matrix" (also Hugo Weaving).

"England Prevails!"

Darius Midnite
2006-08-12, 01:48 PM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8951/v9zj.gif
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe..."

I love that movie more than anything else. :)

kriklaf
2006-08-12, 06:05 PM
I loved this movie. I don't understand why Natalie Portman was in it; I mean, she and Kiera Knightley look exactly the same, and Kiera's already British. (And, I think, a better actress.)

I had exactly the same thought before I saw the movie. However, I thought Portman did a respectable job in this one--in fact, it sort of redeemed her as an actress for me. Her accent left something to be desired, though.

Kiara
2006-08-13, 06:07 PM
Never read the comic, but loved the movie. I swear I could see that mask emoting...

The Prince of Cats
2006-08-14, 06:30 AM
Never read the comic, but loved the movie. I swear I could see that mask emoting...
Masks are fun. When I was an actor, I loved masks... I loved swords more but masks were fun too...

The Demented One
2006-08-14, 02:41 PM
I submit that he was both.