PDA

View Full Version : Conspiracy Theories

Anathemus
2009-08-04, 09:06 PM
So, I'm kind of new here, but having looked around this forum and many others I've realized that one thing people tend to love discusisng more than anything else (at least in regards to webcomic) is speculation.

This can get pretty crazy and out there, so I figured it would be pretty cathartic to have a place to post your wildest, most conspiritorial theories about all the little details, nudges, chekov's guns, etc. that you find in the comic. This isn't for wild speculation, this is for insane speculation.

I'll start us off: That whole "Tiamat holding on lines 2,3,5,8, and 11" thing? That's Rich trying to tell us that the world is going to end at 2:35 on August 11th. I reccomend everyone make preparations.

veti
2009-08-04, 09:10 PM
I'll start us off: That whole "Tiamat holding on lines 2,3,5,8, and 11" thing? That's Rich trying to tell us that the world is going to end at 2:35 on August 11th. I reccomend everyone make preparations.

Don't be silly, that's not the end of the world - that's the launch party for the new book, which is an encrypted tome that enables the holder to summon Tiamat. That's why she's the one holding those lines! It all makes sense now!

Anathemus
2009-08-04, 09:20 PM
that's the launch party for the new book, which is an encrypted tome that enables the holder to summon Tiamat. That's why she's the one holding those lines! It all makes sense now!

And the summoning of Tiamat will lead to the end of the world! This goes so much deeper than I ever could have imagined!

Steward
2009-08-04, 09:27 PM
Xykon killed Roy on the grassy knoll with a candlestick! It's all there if you look! OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!!!

Assassin89
2009-08-04, 09:28 PM
There is no meaning behind the numbers. It is just a random string of numbers.

This theory is an example of the sharpshooter fallacy.

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-08-04, 09:31 PM
Redcloak is an imposter. The REAL Redcloak died hundreds of strips ago and Xykon can't tell the difference between the goblins.

Anathemus
2009-08-04, 09:33 PM
There is no meaning behind the numbers. It is just a random string of numbers.

This theory is an example of the sharpshooter fallacy.

But that's the whole point of this thread, to post random theories that obviously don't make sense. Unless you're stating that its a crazy conspiracy theory to say that the Tiamat Numbers aren't a conspiracy theory. In which case, I tip my hat to you sir.

Pie Guy
2009-08-04, 09:33 PM
Xykkon isn't a lich! He's a human student wizard with disguise self and penchant for chaos!

Cleverdan22
2009-08-04, 09:55 PM
Heh. Everyone, meet one of my players from my campaign. He's new to Order of the Stick and the Playground, so lets all give him a warm welcome.

Heh Anathemus, that's funny that you brought that one up, considering that that was one conspiracy theory that Rich dismissed himself. :smallamused:

Also, here's one for you: Miko is actually Redcloak and Redcloak is Miko. They switched bodies during their fight at the guard tower.

NerfTW
2009-08-04, 10:21 PM
Redcloak is an imposter. The REAL Redcloak died hundreds of strips ago and Xykon can't tell the difference between the goblins.

I wouldn't be surprised. Remember Right-Eye's plan?

Anathemus
2009-08-04, 10:24 PM
Heh. Everyone, meet one of my players from my campaign. He's new to Order of the Stick and the Playground, so lets all give him a warm welcome.

Thanks, Cleverdan! Awesome DM up here, people. "I take the goblin's severed arm and use it as an improvised weapon".

Anyway, one last theory from me: Redcloak's real name is Schrondinger, and the MitD is actually a giant cat. The quantum physicists among you should find that very funny.

FujinAkari
2009-08-04, 10:29 PM
The Snarl actually succeeded in devouring all the gods when it was created but, when it did so, it absorbed their memories and aspirations and has thus been imagining a new world to replace the one it destroyed.

Roy represents Odin, Belkar represents Tiamat. Vaarsuvius represents Athena, Durkon represents Bahamut, Haley represents Rooster (she's Red!), and Elan represents Banjo, a figmentary God that the Snarl invented.

Thus, the "players" of the OOTS are the Gods themselves, which is why Rich denies said players exist as it would ruin his amazing reveal in the last strip! DON'T YOU SEE?

veti
2009-08-04, 10:52 PM
"I take the goblin's severed arm and use it as an improvised weapon".

Hmm... I once had a fellow-PC who took Weapon Proficiency: Livestock. The DM made him specify whether he meant "(Hurled)" or "(Wielded)".

A while later, following... events, I took Weapon Proficiency: PC (Wielded). Ah, happy days.

Back to the thread - has anyone ever noticed that, although Belkar normally has all the empathic capabilities of an autistic hedge trimmer, he's the only one who seems to understand Shojo? Isn't it obvious that Belkar is actually a projection of Lord Shojo's will, designed to let him take a direct part in the OOTS's actions?

Pie Guy
2009-08-04, 11:01 PM
Roy's sword isn't a sword! The rest is evident.

Draco Dracul
2009-08-04, 11:32 PM
Roy's sword isn't a sword! The rest is evident.

Roy's sword is actually the Snarl, Xykon nearly saved the world by destroying it, but the world is once more in peril because the Azurite weapon smith is actually part of a cult that seeks to revive the Snarl.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-05, 12:32 AM
Thanks, Cleverdan! Awesome DM up here, people. "I take the goblin's severed arm and use it as an improvised weapon".

Anyway, one last theory from me: Redcloak's real name is Schrondinger, and the MitD is actually a giant cat. The quantum physicists among you should find that very funny.

So, I guess haley used Use Magic Device when she used V as a diver rod. *gasp* V isn't a she or a he, V is an It, an awakened construct! it all makes sense!

And Mitd, being schrodiers cat, is both dead and alive and that is where its power comes from.
Just like the full metal alchemist
Once it is unvieled, though, the waveform will collapse and it will either be alive or dead, but certainly without power. the MitD only power is in being unknown

Hitorijun
2009-08-05, 02:28 AM
Xy is actually Roys great grandfather.

Armitage
2009-08-05, 02:39 AM
Xy is actually Roys great grandfather.
Well, on the one hand that would fit nicely into the Greenhilt's family tradition of generations alternating between fighter and magical professions (with Julia being the exception, of course), but it would imply that Xykon got laid.
And really, that's too unbelievable even for this thread ;)

Zanaril
2009-08-05, 03:11 AM
Well, on the one hand that would fit nicely into the Greenhilt's family tradition of generations alternating between fighter and magical professions (with Julia being the exception, of course), but it would imply that Xykon got laid.
And really, that's too unbelievable even for this thread ;)

He's a sorcerer, he basically walking Charisma. And he's only been a lich for the last 30 years...

Also, seeing what's roy's mum is like, Xykon could be related to Roy on that side of the family, rather than through his father.

Gamerlord
2009-08-05, 09:45 AM
The ICC are in fact exarchs of the snarl disguised as fiends, who will use V to unleash the snarl, with the only necessary reagent being the MITD...or should I say, the Snarl Jr.!!!???

Blue Ghost
2009-08-05, 11:52 AM
I have long held the theory that if you were to map out the locations of each of the characters in relation to in-comic time and the number of strips on a five-dimensional grid, you would obtain a pattern resembling the threads of the Snarl, which may lead to new understanding of the order behind the seemingly chaotic eldritch abomination.

Forbiddenwar
2009-08-05, 01:28 PM
I have long held the theory that if you were to map out the locations of each of the characters in relation to in-comic time and the number of strips on a five-dimensional grid, you would obtain a pattern resembling the threads of the Snarl, which may lead to new understanding of the order behind the seemingly chaotic eldritch abomination.

Look Out! It's a DOILY! *runs away, screaming*

MrPig
2009-08-05, 03:46 PM
V's gender is a lie.

Bibliomancer
2009-08-05, 05:25 PM
Xykon killed Roy on the grassy knoll with a candlestick! It's all there if you look! OPEN YOUR EYES SHEEPLE!!!

The Sheeple are too busy labeling other people as Sheeple, as seen here. (http://xkcd.com/610/)

The entire comic is an elven test of V, with everyone else being an illusion. They are attempting to break her out of a few stereotypes by playing with the laws of the universe, as happens here. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html)

Daedalus6174
2009-08-07, 10:04 AM
Thog is actually a polymorphed leprechaun. Notice:

-His happy-go-lucky attitude, which is a primary characteristic of leprechauns according to DnD wiki, despite his affiliation with an evil party

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Leprechauns_%28DnD_Race%29

- His leprechaun suit, an obvious attempt by his subconscious to reconcile with his distorted physical self

- His bursts of anger, these almost certainly are a manifestation of Thog's frustration with his cursed fate. You'd be mad too if you used to be a cute little leprechaun, and were turned into a big brute of a half-orc.