PDA

View Full Version : Akira, Manga vs. Film

General Leitmann
2006-08-12, 07:02 PM
Hey all,

I just finished reading the 2000+ page six-part manga, AKIRA, and I noticed many differences between it and the movie. I understand that Katsuhiro would've had to downsize it to fit into a commercially acceptable film length, but so many differences!

I've listed a few differences;

The Great Tokyo Empire
Other people getting the powers through being fed the drugs.
The Arrival of the US, Russian and Chineese armies
The death of Takashi, #27 (he gets shot by Nezu in the book, and I don't recall the death of any of the 20's series children.
The roll of Lady Miyako, a.k.a. #19
The life of Akira[#28] after the death of Tetsuo[#41]. In the movie, Akira's form is destroyed, in the manga, he lives.
The (re)construction of Neo-Tokyo after #41's death. In the book, Akira puts it all back together with his powers as Kaneda and Kei ride through the streets, the ghostly images of pre-Akira Tetsuo and Yamagata.

Either way, I loved both, but highly preferred the manga due to the fact that we see much, much more of Akira and his powers, as well as learn more of the initial destruction of Tokyo and the history behind the numbered children and the basis of their powers. I also liked the manga better due to the more graphic nature of the violence which more accurately decribed the powers of Tetsuo and Akira.

If you've read it and haven't watched it. Be sure to do so. If you've watched it and not read it, doubly so.

Great book, I recommend it to everyone.

[I've coloured the text beige to make it hard to read for people who don't want to know what happens in one or the other due to them reading/watching it currently, or them planning to do so.]

Baldknight
2006-08-13, 02:07 PM
I've watched the anime and I had heard that the manga expands on alot of areas so I will have to look for it.

Simpatiya
2013-11-16, 12:44 PM
Thank you*informed me.

BWR
2013-11-16, 12:49 PM
Haven't finished the manga yet but I really did like how they expanded the story. The anime can be a bit confusing and almost pointless in how brief it is. Still, the anime is pretty good in spite of its flaws.

Brother Oni
2013-11-17, 01:14 PM
Seven years, three months and three days... a new record I think.

BWR
2013-11-17, 02:00 PM
Bugger, I didn't even notice it was necromancy. Damn spambots.