PDA

View Full Version : Eureka seveN

Quirinus_Obsidian
2006-08-06, 05:42 PM
yes, that is how it is written, I am never trying to be leet.

Has anyone else seen this anime? apart from most, it did not start as a Manga. As with many other anime, it is better to watch in the original Japanese. The America voice actors are *ok?*. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4797

Deckmaster
2006-08-06, 07:36 PM
I've seen a few episodes of this on Adult Swim. Unfortunately, I missed the first few episodes and thus have no clue what's going on.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-08-06, 08:23 PM
It's quite good for a shonen mecha series. The surfing angle is stunningly well done - it feels a lot more like a well-written homage to the pioneering days of surfing (and, to a lesser extent, skateboarding) than a cheap attempt to cash in on the extreme sports craze. It's treated with surprising respect, and the writers clearly did their homework (there are a ton of references to surfing culture, particularly in character names).

The music is also excellent, nearly all of the episode titles are song references (including songs by the Beastie Boys, the Beatles, Natlie Cole, Oasis, Afrika Bambaataa). Most of the music in the show is electronica, and much of it is worth listening to even if you aren't a fan of the show. The mecha are mostly named after turntables, for example.

The plot drags in some spots, and there are clear filler episodes, but it's not afraid to take on complex ideas. It does fall prey to shonen clichés at times as well, but the main character is not a whiny Shinji clone (though he can be rather annoying). When he angsts - which isn't often - he has a pretty good reason to. He also, amazingly enough, does not start out being a badass pilot. In fact, at first he can't even take advanced manuevers without puking.

There are some Eva style "wtf?" moments, but they do try to explain them with some internal consistency. Overall, an excellent series, particularly for the genre its in.

As for sub versus dub, I prefer the sub, as several of the Japanese voice actors have very distinctive voices I really like, but the American voice actors do a good job for the most part. The American versions of Eureka and Renton are about right on target, and Holland is well done. Talho's American voice is less distinctive than her Japanese one, but not bad. Gidget is just as annoying in Japanese (intentionally to some extent). Really, I only only had problems with Stoner and Hap (Hap just sounds wrong to me, but Stoner's American voice is not very good).

The American dub does bother me a lot because they butchered Eureka's name - it's closer to "Erica" than anything else in the Japanese. The Americanized version just drives me crazy every time I hear it. That, and I don't like the translation they're using for Renton's father's saying. It's more or less correct, but comes across to casual to me.

Anyways, I recommend the series, but it is hard to follow if you miss the first few episodes. I'd go with the sub over the dub if you can, but the dub seems solid enough that I wouldn't go out of my way unless something is really annoying you about the dub.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-08-09, 12:40 PM
They're showing this on Adult Swim? How can they show something I didn't see two years ago on that...

Oh well, I don't live in America anyway so I can't watch Adult Swim.