PDA

View Full Version : 1985 II: The Sequel

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 12:03 PM
Alright,

Is it just me, or did we get hurtled backward into 1985 again?

On the slate for next year: A new Transformers movie, a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, a Fraggle Rock movie, a sequel to Dark Crystal, and a new live action He-Man.

I didn't get to see much of the 80's, but apparently Hollywood has decided to give me a second chance to experience them. Woo time for big hair!

Opinions on the sudden influx of Nostalgia-powered movies

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-08-03, 12:09 PM
Opinions on the sudden influx of Nostalgia-powered movies?

"Back away slowly."

Flabbicus
2006-08-03, 12:10 PM
Hope that they don't do anything with Lambchop?

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 12:15 PM
Hope that they don't do anything with Lambchop?

Lambchop is dead :'(

As for my personal opinion on all this...I'm excited.

"Look maw! I caughts a fwaggle!"

Joosbawx
2006-08-03, 12:24 PM
Some of those I am personally cringing over...however, I was happy to hear that Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime, is going to voice him again in the upcoming movie.

If they're going to change SoundWave into a purple iPod, at last there will be something familiar.

Flabbicus
2006-08-03, 12:27 PM
As long as they still have Bumblebee I'm going to watch that movie.

And if they still have Megatron turn into a small handgun.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 12:30 PM
And if they still have Megatron turn into a small handgun.

Hate to dissappoint you. But he's a tank now.

Which frankly just makes more sense.

Some of those I am personally cringing over...however, I was happy to hear that Peter Cullen, the original voice of Optimus Prime, is going to voice him again in the upcoming movie.

If they're going to change SoundWave into a purple iPod, at last there will be something familiar.

Soundwave isn't even in it...

Flabbicus
2006-08-03, 12:37 PM
I know he's a tank, but him turning into a gun, which made no sense, was too cool to comprehend.

Jack Squat
2006-08-03, 01:03 PM
Your forgetting them making a movie about The A-Team, a remake of Revenge of the Nerds, and several new movies involving 80's action heros.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 01:04 PM
Your forgetting them making a movie about The A-Team, a remake of Revenge of the Nerds, and several new movies involving 80's action heros.

I...wasn't even aware any of that was happening.

Title changed, more amusing I think.

WampaX
2006-08-03, 05:54 PM
I...wasn't even aware any of that was happening.

Title changed, more amusing I think.

Bah, your 80's-foo is weak. It should Read "1984 II: Electric Boogaloo" to combine both the literary classic of the same name, and the film "classic" with the same sub-title.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 06:03 PM
Bah, your 80's-foo is weak. It should Read "1984 II: Electric Boogaloo" to combine both the literary classic of the same name, and the film "classic" with the same sub-title.

:P

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-03, 06:07 PM
I actually liked the 80's (being born in them as well), however, so help me but they better not try a remake of the Karate Kid...

They'd completely ruin it. I will wax off anyone who tries it >:(

Hungerdog
2006-08-03, 07:30 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Hollywood has become unable to develop new ideas?

Do we really need movies based on TV shows? And bad TV shows at that?

I was born in 1963, and lived through the 80's. Trust me, they weren't that great. Neither was the programming on at that time.

IMHO, "nostalgia" seems to be an excuse for not getting it together enough to come up with new stories and forms of entertainment.

I won't be seeing any of the titles the OP mentioned, as I am less than fond of re-runs, no matter how you may want to try to dress them up.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-03, 07:40 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like Hollywood has become unable to develop new ideas?

Do we really need movies based on TV shows? And bad TV shows at that?

I was born in 1963, and lived through the 80's. Trust me, they weren't that great. Neither was the programming on at that time.

IMHO, "nostalgia" seems to be an excuse for not getting it together enough to come up with new stories and forms of entertainment.

I won't be seeing any of the titles the OP mentioned, as I am less than fond of re-runs, no matter how you may want to try to dress them up.

Man I sure do love judging things before even getting the slightest inkling of how they might pan out.

Frankly the Transformers movie, from what they've shown so far, looks great. It's going to upset a lot of fanboys, but that's actually funny most of the time.

I'm excited for the Fraggle movie, as well as the sequel to Dark Crystal. They could be awful, but I'll more than likely love them even MORE if they are terrible and campy. It's pretty hard to go wrong with muppets.

He-man, meh I'm not excited but I'll wait until some actual information is released before forming an opinion.

The TMNT movie looks bad so far, and 4kids entertainment has grubby little paws on it somehow, so they'll probably screw it up. But so far, all I can say is that the CG looks bleh.

And in case you haven't noticed, Hollywood has been out of ideas for a very long time.

Mitch
2006-08-04, 04:52 PM
I hope a transformer turns into a waffle iron.

10 points for reference!

I'll probably be seeing the He-Man one, along with my little bother.

Wizzardman
2006-08-04, 11:17 PM
Alright,

Is it just me, or did we get hurtled backward into 1985 again?

On the slate for next year: A new Transformers movie, a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, a Fraggle Rock movie, a sequel to Dark Crystal, and a new live action He-Man.

I didn't get to see much of the 80's, but apparently Hollywood has decided to give me a second chance to experience them. Woo time for big hair!

Opinions on the sudden influx of Nostalgia-powered movies

A Fraggle Rock movie?

...Well, so much for my childhood. :-[

Tom_Violence
2006-08-07, 12:31 AM
I'd heard that one of the main reasons for the surge of remakes recently is due to a lot of the summer films last year not doing so well, so now everyone's just going for a safe bet. Its not that I don't enjoy stuff like the new Superman etc., but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some actual new stuff every now and then. :P

The one that has amused me the most recently has to be the Miami Vice film. Is it just me, or does that seem to have absolutely no significant relation to the original TV show? If I remember correctly that had lots of fast cars, stupid pink blazers, dodgy hair and general all-round camp 80s action. The 'remake' (or whatever) seems to be all serious and ultra-modern and stuff. Though admittedly they did get Colin Farrell in to deal with the hair and campness.

I guess it must just be impossible to pitch a new script these days.

Serpentine
2006-08-07, 08:02 AM
Dark Crystal? Awesome! I think! I loved it when I was little, but when I saw it again recently it just looked dodgy. Speaking of dodgy, they sticking with the puppets?

Mr Croup
2006-08-07, 09:58 AM
Dark Crystal? Awesome! I think! I loved it when I was little, but when I saw it again recently it just looked dodgy. Speaking of dodgy, they sticking with the puppets?

Yep. Last I heard, they sent a crew of mold makers and sculptors to the location of the remaining original puppets so they can base the puppets for the sequel off of them, since the originals are too fragile to make the move to current workshops.

Bookman
2006-08-07, 11:40 AM
Yep. Last I heard, they sent a crew of mold makers and sculptors to the location of the remaining original puppets so they can base the puppets for the sequel off of them, since the originals are too fragile to make the move to current workshops.

I feel sorry for those people who make them........having now made a foam rubber animal puppt type thing I KNOW how hard it is........and they make them look so good!

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-07, 09:20 PM
I feel sorry for those people who make them........having now made a foam rubber animal puppt type thing I KNOW how hard it is........and they make them look so good!

Jim Henson studios... All I can say is *hearts and stars*

Bookman
2006-08-07, 09:25 PM
Jim Henson studios... All I can say is *hearts and stars*

They must be incredibly dedicated. I worship all Muppets movies! They do no wrong......... ;)

Alchemistmerlin
2006-08-07, 09:41 PM
They must be incredibly dedicated. I worship all Muppets movies! They do no wrong......... ;)

Damn, now I have the urge to watch Muppet Treasure Island, but I'm in the middle of Disc 2 of Firefly...

OOooh decisions decisions...

Beleriphon
2006-08-08, 02:05 AM
Damn, now I have the urge to watch Muppet Treasure Island, but I'm in the middle of Disc 2 of Firefly...

OOooh decisions decisions...

Just do what I did, watch them all one after another, without stopping. Then watch something else.