PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One Eye

Gorbash
2009-08-05, 08:34 PM
Are there any rules for this? Whether it's Dragon/Dungeon/Official, no matter.

If not, what would be the appropriate side effect? Aside from looking awesome.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-05, 08:36 PM
Are there any rules for this? Whether it's Dragon/Dungeon/Official, no matter.

If not, what would be the appropriate side effect? Aside from looking awesome.

Check the DMG. It's an optional rule, but still.

Brauron
2009-08-05, 08:39 PM
I'd say a penalty to spot checks to see things on that side, plus (and this part would be strictly roleplaying, not mechanics) a tendency to attack enemies on the side that still has an eye.

The Rose Dragon
2009-08-05, 08:39 PM
While the following are not D&D in any way, they are based on OGL.

Mutants & Masterminds has a Disability example, "one eye", that gives -4 to ranged attacks.

d20 Modern has a mutation called "Monocular Vision" which halves all range increments (including those for Spot checks).

Gorbash
2009-08-05, 08:41 PM
Check the DMG. It's an optional rule, but still.

Page?

plus (and this part would be strictly roleplaying, not mechanics) a tendency to attack enemies on the side that still has an eye.

I like this. Great idea!

Blue Ghost
2009-08-05, 08:44 PM
Page 27 of the DMG has rules for damage to specific body parts. Basically a -2 penalty to checks involving the body part. Like with blindness, though, I would say that a character who has been missing an eye for a long time should ignore some of those penalties.

Salt_Crow
2009-08-05, 08:48 PM
There's a dragon in Dragons of Eberron that has One-Eyed(Ex) weakness. She takes -4 penalty on saving throws against blinding effects I believe.

RTGoodman
2009-08-05, 09:09 PM
If you're looking for a WotC-based source, you could check out the Eye of Gruumsh PrC in CWar. They have to put out one eye to become a member, so it might have something.

Mongoose87
2009-08-05, 09:22 PM
I believe the character gets an overwhelming desire to have Regenerate cast upon them.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-05, 09:24 PM
A -2 spot penalty was mentioned as a side effect for a magical eyepatch.

Mr.Moron
2009-08-05, 09:26 PM
Why is it relevant? If someone just wants to play a cool one-eyed character I don't see a need to penalize them for it.

Gorbash
2009-08-05, 10:01 PM
I believe the character gets an overwhelming desire to have Regenerate cast upon them.

Of course not! It's a sign a honor! Battle scar! Rawr! :smallbiggrin:

Inspired by General Martok from DS9. :smallbiggrin:

Why is it relevant? If someone just wants to play a cool one-eyed character I don't see a need to penalize them for it.

It's my character. I want him to penalized. I want his appearance to reflect the mechanics, so that will be a real disadvantage, not just a cool trait I picked up. As a bonus to it, I get to wear a cool one-eyed helmet like this (http://img.war-europe.com/syndic_img/conceptart/en/30-04-08/WarriorofTzeentch.jpg) and be a badass in general!

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-08-05, 10:09 PM
Of course not! It's a sign a honor! Battle scar! Rawr! :smallbiggrin:

Inspired by General Martok from DS9. :smallbiggrin:

Not Big Boss?
http://www.metalgearsystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/big_boss_mgs4.jpg

Gorbash
2009-08-05, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I have no idea who that is.

SethFahad
2009-08-06, 02:11 AM
Unearthed Arcana has 2 flaws that fit in this:

Murky Eyed (Roll twice your miss chance against concealment)
Inattentive (-4 to spots hmmm.. plus -4 for Listen chks maybe he's got one ear too... :smallbiggrin:)
Or maybe... the Flaw Shaky (-2 to ranged attacks) but you can rule that the penalty is because of the one eye and not because you are shaky.

The good thing is 2 extra feat for 2 flaws.

Tempest Fennac
2009-08-06, 02:20 AM
Crystal Keep mentions a couple of Cyclops races which get this racial feature: Single Eye – receives a –2 penalty on ranged attacks, Search checks & Spot checks (that would make sense for only having 1 eye).

SethFahad
2009-08-06, 02:24 AM
Crystal Keep mentions a couple of Cyclops races which get this racial feature: Single Eye – receives a –2 penalty on ranged attacks, Search checks & Spot checks (that would make sense for only having 1 eye).

So, we trade the -4 to Listen with -4 to search and we are done! :smallwink:

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-06, 02:26 AM
I'd second the flaws. Shaky and make a new one bringing -4 to search and spot.

There are guidelines in UA to make new flaws (and make one about 2 skill is simple: just change one/two skill and keep the -4 modifiers).

You can take flaws like traits, so not only at level 2, but it's recommended that if you take them after level 1, not more than 1/levels.

If seems too cheesy, Tempest Fennac one is the best solution.

(But in your place I'd go with flaws :smallwink:)

Gorbash
2009-08-06, 06:34 PM
I'll see with my DM whether he'd allow it as a flaw, after which I'd take Extra Turing, as any self-respecting DMM Cleric would do. :smallbiggrin: But I don't think a penalty on ranged attack would fly (nor would I ask that it works that why), since it wouldn't absolutely no effect on me, and a flaw stopped being a flaw. -4 penalty on blinding effects and/or spot checks seems reasonable.

GreatWyrmGold
2009-08-06, 06:58 PM
Seconded.10 character rule

Gorbash
2009-08-06, 08:21 PM

Not my character, he doesn't.