PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for diabetics

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 10:50 AM
This evening, my grandmother and mother are coming up to visit, and the lot of us (both grandmothers, parents, cousin and sibling) are going out to a Thai restaurant.

Now, the rest of us have been, and loved it, and my visiting grandmother has an open mind. However, she does also have diabetes, and I'm not really familiar enough with the style of cuisine to know how friendly it is to her condition.

Does anyone have any experience in this regard? Suggestions?

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-08-06, 02:03 PM
You can click on some Thai dishes here (http://www.thaimenu.net/search_recipe.php?cid=2&FoodType=04) and it will show you the ingredients.

I would say Thai isn't that bad of a choice for someone with diabetes.

Supagoof
2009-08-06, 02:23 PM
Is she type 1 or type 2?

Not that it makes much difference, just depends on how much she watches her diet. Type 1 has to adjust the amount of insulin they take to account for the carb\sugar content in food. Thai food the main source of carbs is the noodles.

Type 2 also have to watch how much they eat, and depending on how she is treating her type 2 (with injections/pills/diet) will determine how much she should eat.

In general - Thai food is not much different then having italian food. Pasta and Rice have pretty high carb counts, but as long as you know what they are you can account for them with your regular treatment. Typically a 1/2 cup of noodles = 1 carb.

Veggies carry some carbs, but you'd be looking at starchier veggies like potatoes and corn. The greener style don't have much impact.

Here's a useful website (http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php?keywords=thai&showresults=yes) I visit anytime I have to figure out how many carbs I'm eating (I'm a type 1). It'll tell you specifically how many carbs a particular type of dinner has and/or if the places is a popular chain (like McDonalds), how many each item on the menu has.

afroakuma
2009-08-06, 04:14 PM
Couldn't tell you; I've never followed the distinction.

She watches her diet fastidiously, though, and since I'll be delegated to help her choose her meal...

My past experiences have been meat with lots of green and orange veggies, the amount of rice of your choice and wicked awesome sauce; that last one worries me the most.

Keld Denar
2009-08-06, 04:25 PM
Yea...a lot of the peanut based sauses such as that found in Phad Thai are heavily sweetened. In light of that, I'd suggest something more of a curry based flavoring.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2009-08-06, 04:50 PM
It's a semi-tough call because, while you can visit multiple web sites and get various ingredients, it doesn't actually tell you how one particular chef prepared HIS meal. Thus, I suggest that you simply ask the staff from where you are ordering. Ask for their suggestions of meals with the least amount of sweetener, and also ask if they can prepare meals with artificial sweetener. And stress that this involves a diabetic, and that if they try to sneak sugar in because they're too lazy to try the artificial stuff, they risk making someone seriously ill, and a lawsuit the approximate size of Texas. :smallamused:

thubby
2009-08-07, 03:33 AM
It's a semi-tough call because, while you can visit multiple web sites and get various ingredients, it doesn't actually tell you how one particular chef prepared HIS meal. Thus, I suggest that you simply ask the staff from where you are ordering. Ask for their suggestions of meals with the least amount of sweetener, and also ask if they can prepare meals with artificial sweetener. And stress that this involves a diabetic, and that if they try to sneak sugar in because they're too lazy to try the artificial stuff, they risk making someone seriously ill, and a lawsuit the approximate size of Texas. :smallamused:

leave some good advice for the rest of us to give! :smallmad:

:smalltongue:

Cyrano
2009-08-07, 08:08 AM
leave some good advice for the rest of us to give! :smallmad:

:smalltongue:

Don't jump down open manhole covers.
Tadaaaa.