PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Binder Prestige Class] Soulcaller

Narazil
2009-08-07, 12:13 AM
This is a prestige class for the Binder class. They have the Anima Mage, who exploits Vestiges, this is meant as the polar opposite.

The Soulcaller (working title)

Hit Die: d8
Requirements:

* Alignment: Any non-evil.
* Skills: Knowledge (The Planes) 6 ranks.
* Feat: Expel Vestige
* Class Feature: Effective Binder Level of 6 or more.
(Which means you can enter this prestige class at level 7)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Vestige's Wisdom, +1 EBL

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Mind Clutter 1/day, +1 EBL

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Friend of Foes, Mind Clutter 2/day +1 EBL

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Mind Clutter 3/day, +1 EBL

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Deitify, Mind Clutter 4/day, +1 EBL
[/table]
(EBL is Effective Binder Level)
Class skills: Bluff, Concetration, Craft, Diplomacy, Knowledge: (Religion), Knowledge: (The Planes), Knowledge: (Arcana), Profession, and Sense Motive.

Vestige's Wisdom: You may seek advice from the Vestige(s) bound to your body. Once per day per Charisma Mod (if any, minimum 1), you may ask the Vestige one question concerning just about anything. The Vestige usually answers truthfully, but is fully allowed to lie and be cryptic.

Example

Jack the Soulcaller can't find his slippers, and hopes his bound Vestige Jill remembers where he put it. He has a Charisma of 14, and is therefore allowed to ask 2 questions per day. He uses Vestige's Wisdom and asks Jill: "Where are my slippers?" Jill, being the mean girl she is, answers "Next to eachother." Jack is puzzled by this information, and then comes to his senses. He then asks "In what room did I last have my slippers on?" Jill answers truthfully, and Jack finds his long lost slippers.

Mind Clutter: You may use this ability to converse with any Vestige or Vestiges currently bound to you as a full-round action. The Vestiges will appear as voices in your head, and are able to hear what surface thoughts you want them to hear. This conversation can be anything from a friendly turnip-trading, to a fullfledged investigation. No one else can hear the conversation bar people reading the Soulcaller's thoughts, but even then they have to make a succesful Will save equal to the Soulcaller's EBL+Cha mod or be thrown out; Vestiges don't like people listening in on them. Vestiges can choose not to answer any question. This conversation lasts 10 minutes or until the Soulcaller wills it to end.

Friend of Foes: When using the Expel Vestige feat, you do not anger the Vestiges, but instead ask them kindly to leave, with promise of them being able to return. You do not incur the -10 penalty on your next Binding attempt with that Vestige, instead you gain a +4 bonus as you build up your relationship.

Deitify: At this point, the Soulcaller can invoke rituals to please the Vestiges bound to his body. This may be done as a trade, a sign of good will, or as a thanks for previous help.
These rituals often involve some sort of sacrifice, ranging from a Wizard's Spellscroll to the blood of a High Priest. The ritual, however, is entirely up to the Soulcaller.
The ultimate effect is of course up to the Vestige. If he's pleased, he might reward the Soulcaller, or simply accept the offerings. If he's angered, he might punish or simply leave the Soulcaller.

An example ritual could be:
Target: The God-hating Vestige Kh'ruawan'gha (he's a Drow, alright?)
Wanted Effect: A buff from said Vestige.
Components: The Vestige's seal drawn in the blood of a 15th level Cleric, holy symbols from 5 different Gods, desecrated holy water.

The Soulcaller calls upon his Vestige, and asks him kindly to accept the sacrifices given. He then asks for the Vestige's protection against the holymen and their spells.

The final effect might have been a blessing from Kh'ruawan'gha, protecting the Soulcaller from the first 10 spelllevels of Divine Magic cast on him.

Mechanically, it's probably slightly worse in combat than the Binder, barring the fact you might get some good bonuses from Deitify. Roleplay-wise, I think it would be great fun to play.
It's meant to symbolize a Binder making friends of the Vestiges, rather than exploiting them for power.
C&C Muchly appreciated, as its my first take on a PRC.

Stycotl
2009-08-07, 11:47 AM
your capstone is waaaaaaay too vague. you need to set some stronger guidelines as to what can and cannot be done with that ability.

the mind clutter ability seems useless to me; aren't binders immune to mental effects when bound to a vestige at fairly low level? i don't have my books with me, so i'm not certain, but i'd buff this up some. i'd make it last for a whole encounter, or make it usable 1/encounter, and make it last 1 round/class level or something, and then i'd make the binder completely immune to all mind-affecting effects and divinations (or something similar).

and lastly, your example under vestige's wisdom has the guy asking the vestige two questions instead of one.

your class has some potential, and it does have an interesting flavor to it, but it is pretty weak right now.

Narazil
2009-08-07, 12:22 PM
your capstone is waaaaaaay too vague. you need to set some stronger guidelines as to what can and cannot be done with that ability.
DM's interpretation all the way. It's meant as the means forward a plots, make Binders (even more) versatile, and give them a risk/reward kinda system.

the mind clutter ability seems useless to me; aren't binders immune to mental effects when bound to a vestige at fairly low level? i don't have my books with me, so i'm not certain, but i'd buff this up some. i'd make it last for a whole encounter, or make it usable 1/encounter, and make it last 1 round/class level or something, and then i'd make the binder completely immune to all mind-affecting effects and divinations (or something similar).

It's not meant as an encounter-ability, but more as seeking help or knowledge from the Vestige(s) at hand, learning more about their stories, interests and what they like (for making the perfect Deitify ritual, for example).

and lastly, your example under vestige's wisdom has the guy asking the vestige two questions instead of one.

Once per day per Cha mod. He has a Charisma-score of 14, +2 mod, two questions.

Stycotl
2009-08-08, 06:03 PM
DM's interpretation all the way. It's meant as the means forward a plots, make Binders (even more) versatile, and give them a risk/reward kinda system

every game and every group is different, but for general purpose it is preferable to give it a more concrete mechanic, especially if you are expecting others to want to use it. but as i said, every group is different, and some really like the open ended stuff.

It's not meant as an encounter-ability, but more as seeking help or knowledge from the Vestige(s) at hand, learning more about their stories, interests and what they like (for making the perfect Deitify ritual, for example).

ok.

Once per day per Cha mod. He has a Charisma-score of 14, +2 mod, two questions.

yeah, i missed that...

overall, i still stand by my earlier remarks. but that is presuming that you post it here for others to critique, and to use in their own games. if you don't have it there for one of those reasons (and i am unfamiliar with other reasons, though there certainly could be some), then i am not the right person responding to this thread.