PDA

View Full Version : Finding Good Fantasy Art

The Neoclassic
2009-08-08, 08:25 AM
I notice that a lot of people in the homebrew section find some pretty awesome art to go along with their material. However, whenever I try to look for good fantasy art that fits what I'm working on, I fail pretty miserably. Any suggestions for good websites to look at or ways to search? I know there's a lot of good stuff on DeviantArt, but you have to sort through so much that's frankly not very good at all.

Artists, feel free to tell me about your awesome fantasy art collections too. :smalltongue:

Captain Alien
2009-08-08, 08:36 AM
Try Roger Dean (http://www.rogerdean.com/). You won't find anything better. Especially if you search in deviantArt.

EDIT: Actually, it is very hard to find anything drawn by this guy in the internet... Try also Barry Windsor-Smith (who drew many of the Robert Howard's stories-based Conan comics). He is more famous, so you might find more pictures.

Jolly Steve
2009-08-08, 08:55 AM
You might find this page useful:

www.apolitical.info/webgame/credits.php

If you click on a picture it brings up a bigger version, along with its copyright status.

For everything there that isn't public domain I got permission, so most likely they'd give you permission too if your project was non-profit.

Dallas-Dakota
2009-08-08, 09:16 AM
Ofcourse you can also try to request some here.

Threeshades
2009-08-08, 11:37 AM
also deviantart.com and elfwood.com are ripe with awesome fantasy art.

But bear in mind that a lot of artists don't appreciate unauthorized use of their artwork. This bears double for artworks copyrighted to companies.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-08, 01:35 PM
I appreciate the suggestions thus far.

But bear in mind that a lot of artists don't appreciate unauthorized use of their artwork. This bears double for artworks copyrighted to companies.

If I find any art I want to post anywhere (say, on my website when that goes up), I plan on emailing the artist for permission first, and only using it if I hear back and they're OK with it. Hopefully if I promise to credit them and tell them that I'm not making any money off of it, most of them won't have an issue with it.

Jolly Steve
2009-08-09, 02:27 AM
In my experience deviant art has better pictures, but the people are less likely to give you permission than on elfwood.

If you're searching on elfwood, include the word "modpick" in your search. That will mean that you only get results which are 'Moderator's Picks', so you'll get the better quality ones.