PDA

View Full Version : Ross v. Rachel: On A Break or Not?

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 03:23 PM
Ok, did Ross cheat or were they on a break?

Note: Annoyed British guy sitting next to Rachel on the flight to England to ruin Ross's wedding to the other woman (rats, can't recall the name) said that clearly they were on a break. :D What do you think?

Midnight Son
2006-06-09, 03:29 PM
I think this topic was dead about 8 years ago.

Sophistemon
2006-06-09, 03:34 PM
Holy crap, are people still talking about F*R*I*E*N*D*S?
EDIT
Forgot the asterisks.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 03:41 PM
I think this topic was dead about 8 years ago.

EDIT
Forgot the asterisks.
Since Friends is one of the most wildly-popular syndicated reurn series, I'm clearly not alone in loving the show, but thanks for your input. Would you like a little cheese with your whine? ;)

Midnight Son
2006-06-09, 03:52 PM
Since Friends is one of the most wildly-popular syndicated reurn series, I'm clearly not alone in loving the show, but thanks for your input. Would you like a little cheese with your whine? ;)Do you have Wensleydale?

Eldred
2006-06-09, 04:27 PM
EDIT
Forgot the asterisks.

What's wrong with Friends? It's a good program. And why the asterixes? ???

Sophistemon
2006-06-09, 04:32 PM
What, you have a thing against asterisks?
Yeah, okay. I'll admit to being a jerk in my post. Sorry. I just tend to forget about shows once they end. I enjoyed it while it was on, if that's any consolation.

Midnight Son
2006-06-09, 04:57 PM
Well, the first few years were good anyway. Then all the characters became caricatures. I hate when that happens to a good character. Worst case on that show was Ross becoming nothing but a bumbling fool.

CelestialStick
2006-06-09, 06:18 PM
Do you have Wensleydale?

Um...nope, the cat ate it. ;)

Well, the first few years were good anyway. Then all the characters became caricatures. I hate when that happens to a good character. Worst case on that show was Ross becoming nothing but a bumbling fool.

Ah, well that explains why I identify so much with Ross. :D

The Prince of Cats
2006-06-09, 06:49 PM
That wedding was interesting, since it had Hugh Laurie (used to be part of a comedy duo with Stephen Fry, now in House), Jennifer Saunders (used to be part olf a comedy duo with Dawn French, who knows what she is up to now), Tom Stoppard (amazing playwright and Shakespearean actor) and Helen Baxendale. (who I still think was hot back from Cardiac Arrest)

But, going back to the point, they were on a break and so she was just being a bitch.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-06-09, 07:51 PM
Technically, they were on a break, but since the "break" had only been official for about two hours, and because their relationship was so deep to start with, Ross was being a total arsefrack for sleeping with another woman.

And I don't think Rachel meant "break" to be defined as "let's go sleep around with people we meet in bars." She was going more for the "give me my space for a few days so I don't kill you."

Space != sleeping around; //says the C++ nerd

NinjaFish
2006-06-09, 08:51 PM
I personally think breaks need to be better defined. Some breaks are "well, actually, it's over, and I'm just too 'nice' to say so" and some are "I just want a few days to myself to sort things out"

If what the break is isn't written in stone, confusion is bound to happen, as painful as it can be.

two hours is a little fast, however...

Trog
2006-06-09, 09:04 PM
Technically, they were on a break, but since the "break" had only been official for about two hours, and because their relationship was so deep to start with, Ross was being a total arsefrack for sleeping with another woman.

"Arsefrack" is now, officially, my new favorite word! ;D

A side question: How is it that Ross could take freakin years to ask Rachael out (and I think, even in the end it was just sort of revealed in an old video they were all watching together that he liked her) but can hook up with the hot laundy chick in like two hours? WTF!

CelestialStick
2006-06-10, 01:42 AM
"Arsefrack" is now, officially, my new favorite word! ;D

A side question: How is it that Ross could take freakin years to ask Rachael out (and I think, even in the end it was just sort of revealed in an old video they were all watching together that he liked her) but can hook up with the hot laundy chick in like two hours? WTF!
Well if you'll recall, hot laundry chick (why is she laundry chick?) came on to him at the bar after Chandler and Joey had gotten him drunk.

I think that, by the way, answers the "who could he do it so soon?" question. It's also the case that men are probably more likekly to have consolation sex than women. That doesn't say anything about how he felt about Rachel, except that he was devastated by the break.

As far as the break goes, I too interpreted it as breaking up with him. Frankly she seemed to think the same thing the next morning when she called him and said she was coming over.

That wedding was interesting, since it had Hugh Laurie (used to be part of a comedy duo with Stephen Fry, now in House), Jennifer Saunders (used to be part olf a comedy duo with Dawn French, who knows what she is up to now), Tom Stoppard (amazing playwright and Shakespearean actor) and Helen Baxendale. (who I still think was hot back from Cardiac Arrest)

But, going back to the point, they were on a break and so she was just being a bitch.

I don't think she was being a bitch; I think she felt hurt and believed he had betrayed her. I do think, however, that she was being irrational in being unwilling to accept that he thought she had broken up with him. In fact I suspect that some of her anger at him was misdirected, and really applied to herself for putting the whole thing in motion. She was pretty contemptuous of him and his jealousy when she told him that they needed to take a break.