PDA

View Full Version : Other Useful Spells [3.5; PEACH]

The Neoclassic
2009-08-09, 09:21 PM
Because clearly I haven't started enough threads lately.

I recently began a thread for spells which were useful for the nonadventuring populace. However, part of my way through those, I realized I was coming up with some ideas which were indeed more combat/adventurer based as well. Hence, a new thread! Advice on balance, picking the right spell level, and clarity of wording is particularly helpful.

Brittle Bones
Necromancy
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
You weaken the target’s bones to a dangerously brittle state, leaving them far more likely to fracture or break their bones. Any time the target takes damage from a critical (from a slashing or bludgeoning weapon, or any sonic or force effect), they must make an additional Fortitude save. If it fails, they take 2d4 Constitution damage.
This spell cannot be removed with any cure spell, remove curse, or any spell of lower than fourth level. Heal removes this condition.
Arcane Focus: A fragment of bone.

Soul Fracture
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, S
Effect: Ray of negative energy
Saving Throw: Will negates
You release a bolt of negative energy which splinters off pieces of the soul’s outer layers. This spell only affects humanoids, dragons, and intelligent undead who retain souls (such as liches or vampires). You must make a ranged touch attack to hit.
Soul fracture bestows a permanent loss of two points of both Charisma and Constitution. Additionally, the target loses all of their long term memories. They recognize those around them as people they’re been spending time with, and know their prepared spells for the day as well as how to do basic tasks. However, they don’t feel any deep connections with any of the people around them; a lover of many years who was present at the time the target received a soul fracture would be seen, at best, as a fun fling.
This spell actually damages a target’s soul; deities may not look kindly upon individuals who use this spell often. Usual healing and restoration magic likewise has no effect, as the source of the damage is too deep for it to treat. A wish spell restores the target’s memories and Constitution loss, but not their emotional connections nor does it heal Charisma loss. Only a miracle, by seeking the intervention of deific power, repairs the target of a soul fracture to their previous state, remedying all ability score loss, memories, and emotional facets of the individual.

Visiting Babau
Conjuration (Calling) [Chaotic, Evil]
Level: Clr 6
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
You call a babau from an Outer Plane to cohabit the target’s body. The target may make a Will save to prevent the demonic possession from occurring. If unsuccessful, the target remains largely in control of himself, but gains the subtypes Evil and Chaotic even though his alignment isn’t changed.
Chaotic evil creatures gain a +1 morale bonus to all saves, attacks, and checks from visiting babau, but all others instead experience a -2 penalty to all saves, attacks, and checks as the babau attempts to wreck havoc with the target’s desired actions. Once per day, the babau can cast darkness upon the target. This darkness lasts for one hour and ten minutes and is only dismissible by the babau itself (though it may be dispelled by other sources).
The babau also affects the target’s physiology for the duration of the possession. The target’s skin is now covered in an uncomfortable, slimy red goo which deals 1d2 acid damage to any weapons or creatures which touch it. This substance can also eat away at and ruin clothing or armor worn by the target.
Finally, the target may experience occasional phantom pains as well as moderate mental distress from the frequent audible (only to the target) murmurings of the babau. These distractions result in a -4 penalty towards Concentration checks and a -2 penalty towards Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive. This stacks with the previously mentioned bonus or penalty to all checks.
This possession can be ended with banishment or a similar spell of equal or higher level, including a limited wish, wish, or miracle.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 01:41 PM
Nitpick - I'd call Brittality, "Brittle Bones" or something.

I think it's a little too complex for a selectively appearing condition, and its effects are not very dire. I would make it so that whenever the subject of a critical hit from the listed damage, they must make a Fortitude Save or lose 2d4 con instead.

Miracle is already stronger than Wish; I'd make the two effects comparable here with Soul Fracture, and I would add an XP component because you're robbing someone of skill ranks. I would also include giving the target back those skill ranks as unspent points which they gain access to at a rate of 1 per week or something. (Half a year just to restore skill in one ability.) Would add [Evil] descriptor, as you said gods don't look kindly upon it.

I would make the darkness effect in Visiting Baubau dispellable.

The first two are very definitely neat effects and I like them a lot. :) I am very weak on monsters in Standard D&D, however, and have no idea what a Baubau is.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 07:00 PM
No post is complete without a new spell...

Shock Treatment
Conjuration (Creation) [Cold, Fire, Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Gallons of freezing and boiling water drenching target
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: No
The target is doused with icy cold water followed a moment later by a splash of boiling hot water. The first splash of water deals 1d4 cold damage; the second deals 1d6 fire damage. This spell drenches the target from head to toe with water; they remain damp after the spell's duration ends. For the next minute, all Intimidate checks against the target of a successful shock treatment gain a +2 circumstance bonus.
Material Component: A vial of water

Nitpick - I'd call Brittality, "Brittle Bones" or something.

I think it's a little too complex for a selectively appearing condition, and its effects are not very dire. I would make it so that whenever the subject of a critical hit from the listed damage, they must make a Fortitude Save or lose 2d4 con instead.

Done and done. Good suggestions!

Miracle is already stronger than Wish

It is? I actually had no idea.

I'd make the two effects comparable here with Soul Fracture

Is soul fracture that much more powerful?

I would add an XP component because you're robbing someone of skill ranks.

Ugh, xp costs. I think I'll just remove the skill ranks thing instead; it made the spell really long and complicated anyway. Good point though.

Would add [Evil] descriptor, as you said gods don't look kindly upon it.

Very good idea. Not because of that so much, but harming someone's soul is an inherently evil act. If rape is a violation of the body, and the body is little in comparison with one's immortal soul, and this is a violation of the soul... Yeah, the evilness of this is ridiculously high up there, now that I think about it.

Hmm, are there many [Evil] spells that aren't necromancy? I wonder if there are any [Good] necromancy spells. Hmm, more potential ideas...

I would make the darkness effect in Visiting Baubau dispellable.

I think since the babau's darkness is a spell-like ability, one should already be able to dispell it. Should I still clarify it?

The first two are very definitely neat effects and I like them a lot. :) I am very weak on monsters in Standard D&D, however, and have no idea what a Baubau is.

Why thank you! I appreciate all your feedback. :smallsmile: And a babau is just a certain sort of demon, as you might've guessed.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 07:19 PM
Is soul fracture that much more powerful?

I meant that I'd let Miracle and Wish operate identically here.

It is? I actually had no idea.

Miracle does not require an experience cost except for things that only a miracle can do, or when emulating a spell with an XP cost. The result is that a cleric with 9th level spells can just prepare Miracle in every slot and be guaranteed all 7th level and lower spells from any list, and all of the 8th level cleric spells from that slot, for no cost - not to mention the option of actually using that full-blown miracle if the situation calls for it.

Wish is a little more powerful in practice for a high-end, clever player, but any casual player could just stuff Miracle in every slot and never regret it.

Hmm, are there many [Evil] spells that aren't necromancy? I wonder if there are any [Good] necromancy spells. Hmm, more potential ideas...

Phoenix Fire, Sanctified spell, 7th level - Book of Exalted Deeds. 2d6 fire damage per CL to every enemy in the area, half of it sacred, kills the caster and then auto resurrects after a little bit (with level loss.) Pretty sure it's Necromancy typed, and all sanctified spells are so [Good] it hurts - literally. All of them have a sacrifice, Phoenix Fire's happens to be the level loss.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 07:29 PM
I meant that I'd let Miracle and Wish operate identically here.

Well, my rationale was that wish represents twisting the arcane magics of the world in strange and wondrous ways, but miracle involves actual divine intervention. Since a broken soul isn't something that arcane magic can fix, only a very powerful cleric's plea (aka miracle) would entirely end soul fracture. If you think the distinction doesn't work well though, I suppose I should remove it. Oh, and I removed reference to the skill loss in the wish/miracle stuff in the spell too now.

Miracle does not require an experience cost except for things that only a miracle can do, or when emulating a spell with an XP cost. The result is that a cleric with 9th level spells can just prepare Miracle in every slot and be guaranteed all 7th level and lower spells from any list, and all of the 8th level cleric spells from that slot, for no cost - not to mention the option of actually using that full-blown miracle if the situation calls for it.

Wish is a little more powerful in practice for a high-end, clever player, but any casual player could just stuff Miracle in every slot and never regret it.

Very educational! This does however mean when I'm overhauling spells and such for my setting that I may need to make miracle less ridiculously awesome.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 08:44 PM
I wasn't sure whether this should go here or under Nonadventurer spells, but I suppose this has some more devious/harmful potential...

Food Poisoning
Transmutation
Level: Asn 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Target: One dish of food or beverage (see below)
Duration: See below
Saving Throw: See below
You cause a portion of food or beverage to become toxic. The food or beverage gets no saving throw, but everyone who consumes the substance rolls a Fortitude save. Once eaten, it takes one minute to take effect. At this point, those who succeed their saving throws feel slightly queasy but suffer no ill effects. All who fail their saving throw become nauseated for one minute and sickened for the next hour. Touching food or being splashed with beverage which has food poisoning doesn’t harm one, but any consumption, even just a forkful or sip, causes the abovementioned effects.
Food poisoning can affect up to one pound of food or one gallon of liquid per two caster levels.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 08:47 PM
I'm not entirely sure about Shock Treatment... uh, double damage if performed on a primarily metal object or creature? XP

Food Poisoning would probably be level 1 or 2, since it's not a very strong effect.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 08:52 PM
I'm not entirely sure about Shock Treatment... uh, double damage if performed on a primarily metal object or creature? XP

Food Poisoning would probably be level 1 or 2, since it's not a very strong effect.

So shock treatment is too powerful? I rather want a number of fire-AND-ice-related spells for a certain culture of mages I'm working on, but awesome ideas for that are sadly lacking. :smallredface:

I'm changing food poisoning to second level; that sounds sensible. However, it can potentially affect several people (if you hit a serving dish with the spell), so I think first would be rather low.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 08:54 PM
No, no, I just meant I'm not sure about it. All I can think of is that one episode on Pokemon where Ash inexplicably took a level in Middle School Physics and destroyed a mecha by having his fire and water types rapidly cool and heat it in specific spots over and over.

Is just... unusual for a spell.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-10, 09:09 PM
One more spell, then back to reading other people's work. And by other people's, I mean starting with AstralFire's races. :smallwink:

Forlorn
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 hour per caster level
In order to cast this spell, you must know of a strong loyalty that your target holds. This loyalty could either be to an organization, a family member, or a romantic partner.
The target is hit suddenly with a realization that the person or organization that they are loyal to is incompatible with them on some level; there is some severe, unavoidable flaw in their relationship. This flaw could be real or imagine. The target feels betrayed; their attitude towards their former loyalty turns to a cool neutral, mildly nostalgic but bitter and distant. No amount of talking can convince the target that their delusion is just that.
The target becomes listless and finds no joy in any of their usual activities or comforts. If they’re in combat, they must make a second Will save or lose interest and attempt to find a way to exit combat. If leaving combat is not possible, they merely defend themselves (automatically choosing to defend each round, but unable to cast spells or special abilities).
Once the duration of forlorn ends, the target’s perception of a hopeless future vanishes, though any damage they may’ve done to their relationship with their loyalty is not automatically remedied.
Focus: A token related to the target’s loyalty.

No, no, I just meant I'm not sure about it. All I can think of is that one episode on Pokemon where Ash inexplicably took a level in Middle School Physics and destroyed a mecha by having his fire and water types rapidly cool and heat it in specific spots over and over.

Hehe, pokemon. And, yeah, it is kinda unusual. But why not mix elements, right?

Cieyrin
2009-08-11, 11:34 AM
Man, Neo, this thread has the evil spells coming in droves, I gotta say. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that they all have a sinister bent to them, tis all.

Anyways, my first impression is that Visiting Babau should probably have the evil descriptor, as forcibly possessing somebody w/ the spirit of a demon is definitely not a nice thing to do to somebody.

Given how Shock Treatment could be used, giving a circumstance bonus to Intimidate probably wouldn't be out of line, as it's the skill used to torture information out of people and all.

Food Poisoning could be conceivably lower in level, as its opposite, Purify Food and Drink, is only a cantrip. <_<;;

I'd probably up Forlorn to Sor/Wiz 4, as i think this is on the same level as Crushing Despair, as it effectively can disable somebody from being in a combat at all. It's a Save or Lose, though not necessarily a powerful one, given the two saves having to be made for it to do so. Even if they fail only the first check, the affected probably aren't effectively fighting w/ their comrades anymore, which can be an excellent for a divide and conquer strategy.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-11, 12:56 PM
Man, Neo, this thread has the evil spells coming in droves, I gotta say. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that they all have a sinister bent to them, tis all.

Why thank you! :smallbiggrin: Many of them are for a LE civilization of mine, particularly clerics of a NE god.

Anyways, my first impression is that Visiting Babau should probably have the evil descriptor, as forcibly possessing somebody w/ the spirit of a demon is definitely not a nice thing to do to somebody.

True... But scorching someone with a fireball isn't either. :smallwink: I see your point; I merely wanted the spell accessible to, say, CN individuals. Then again, if you summon an evil creature, doesn't that usually add a [Evil] descriptor to the spell? If that's the case, then I absolutely should add it.

Given how Shock Treatment could be used, giving a circumstance bonus to Intimidate probably wouldn't be out of line, as it's the skill used to torture information out of people and all.

Oooh, interesting. Think I could throw in a +2 circumstance modifier to Intimidate checks performed on the target during the next minute without needing to raise the spell level?

Food Poisoning could be conceivably lower in level, as its opposite, Purify Food and Drink, is only a cantrip. <_<;;

Well, nauseated creatures can't take any actions while they're in that state, so it's noticeably more powerful than Purify Food and Drink. Basically, I could see someone sneaking into a royal banquet, casting this on the large piece of roast beef at the king's table, and then be able to easily assassinate one or more of the folks there. Also, there's the sicken for the next hour component; you could possibly get many people with a -2 penalty to lots of important things for the next hour. So, I appreciate the input, but I think I should keep this one at second level.

I'd probably up Forlorn to Sor/Wiz 4.

Done.

Appreciated as always! :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2009-08-12, 11:57 AM
Shock Treatment getting a +2 for the next minute is definitely in its realm of power, i'd say.

I'll concede the point about Food Poisoning, as it's a bit more powerful then naturally spoiling it like an opposite of Purify Food and Drink would be. Nauseate is definitely pretty badass as effects go, though it has limited applications, given it has to be ingested and all. I would add it to the Assassin list, probably Assassin 1, as this fits right up their alley.

Finally, you are correct about summoning spells gaining the tags of what they summon, so summoning demons adds the [Evil] tag to the spell, along with the [Chaos] tag.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-13, 01:11 PM
Madden was in a bit of a situation. He'd shown a great aptitude for the arcane arts; as a youngster, most of his family was certain he'd become a sorcerer as soon as he was old enough to properly channel and control his power. Before he was old enough to truly commit himself to sorcery, however, Karasanti called him to become a paladin. It wasn't a calling he could or wanted to ignore, so he took up sword and holy power to fight evil and disorder. Still, he pondered, why did he have to give up all connection to the arcane? After all, Karasanti wasn't just the goddess of wisdom and strength, but of intellect and arcane magic. There were so many useful arcane spells which just didn't seem to be granted to divine casters. So, after much praying and consideration, Madden came up with this spell...

Madden’s Converter
Universal
Level: Clr 4, Pal 4
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: Research plus one hour (see below)
Range: Personal
Target: You
You learn an arcane spell not normally on your class spell list. It is now added to your class spell list, and you prepare and cast it like you would any usual divine spell.
You pick one and only one of the following spells to learn: arcane mark, fox’s cunning, identify, mage hand, protection from arrows, see invisibility, or shield. You may not learn any spell other than the ones on that list. The spell goes on your spell list as whatever level it is for sorcerers and wizards, except for paladins learning cantrips, in which case they learn it as a first level paladin spell.
Prior to casting this spell, you must study for four weeks per spell level, with a cantrip taking two weeks of research. During this time you read up on arcane magical theory, study the origins and casting procedure of the spell, and hypothesize about how it could be adapted to be cast with divine magic. At the end of this research period, you must make a Knowledge (arcane) check. The DC is 15 for cantrips, 20 for first level spells, and 25 for second level spells. If you succeed, you may proceed to the one hour casting period. If you fail, you must attempt the research again from the beginning. An unsuccessful attempt wastes neither the material component nor xp.
Material component: A tablet made out of a single sheet of quartz (5,000 gp).
XP cost: 1,000 xp.
Note: This spell is only available to clerics and paladins of Karasanti. Other spells that the ones listed above might be learned, but only at the deity and the DM’s discretion.

Shock Treatment getting a +2 for the next minute is definitely in its realm of power, i'd say.

Added!

Nauseate is definitely pretty badass as effects go, though it has limited applications, given it has to be ingested and all. I would add it to the Assassin list, probably Assassin 1, as this fits right up their alley.

Great idea! I'll put that in.

Finally, you are correct about summoning spells gaining the tags of what they summon, so summoning demons adds the [Evil] tag to the spell, along with the [Chaos] tag.

Also done. :smallbiggrin:

Cieyrin
2009-08-13, 06:01 PM
Huh, look at that, bonus spells to your class lists without a feat or PRC. I guess that works, though I'd recommend maybe making it a feat instead, like the various Initiate feats from the Player's Guide to Faerun. Example: Initiate of Gond (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Initiate_of_Gond,PG). Just allow for both clerics and paladins taking it and you should be good.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-13, 10:11 PM
The Comfort domain needs a first level spell? Well, I suppose...

Calm Ally
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1
Components: V, S, DF
Target: One ally
You calm one shaken or frightened ally. This spell suppresses fear effects of lower or equal spell level indefinitely; it cannot dispel them if they are affected other creatures, but they no longer have any grip over the calmed ally. Calm ally has no effect on other conditions, such as a state of panic.

Huh, look at that, bonus spells to your class lists without a feat or PRC. I guess that works, though I'd recommend maybe making it a feat instead, like the various Initiate feats from the Player's Guide to Faerun. Example: Initiate of Gond (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Initiate_of_Gond,PG). Just allow for both clerics and paladins taking it and you should be good.

Hmmmm, maybe. Feats are valuable, but I think the spell has a noticeable up-front cost. You could cast it several times if it was that important to you, or never. I think if it was a feat, it might lose a bit of the flavor and player pondering, but that's just my way of looking at it. :smallbiggrin:

The Neoclassic
2009-08-18, 09:24 PM
Shriek of Vengeance
Evocation
Level: Brd 3, Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V
Casting Time: One standard action
Duration: 1 round/level
When you are injured, you release a horrifying shriek which deals back half the damage you just took (rounded down) to all enemies in a 10 ft. radius. This damage is in the form of sonic energy, regardless of what type of damage you took.
This spell suppresses any silence spells or similar of equal or lower level.

I really have no clue on the spell level for this one. I could see it as low as second or third level, but it might be better as fifth or sixth... Suggestions?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-18, 10:18 PM
I'm not that good at balance, but you might want to make it Sor/Wiz 3 and Clr 4. Just a thought.

Cieyrin
2009-08-19, 10:29 AM
I'm wondering why cleric at all? I think Bard would be more fitting. So Bard 3, Sor/Wiz 3, i'd say. Puts it below Shout, so I think that works fine.

Scarlet Tropix
2009-08-19, 10:51 AM
These are all cool ideas. I'm going to jot them down in my book of DM Evil.

About Soul Fracture... This is just a thought, but would the victim's listlessness and apathy perhaps cause them to take a penalty on Will saves? It's probably overkill, but I could see an evil wizard dominating victims of this spell after breaking them, thus ensuring they have nothing that would give them reason to break free from his control...

Fizban
2009-08-20, 02:53 AM

Oddly enough (or maybe just cause the show's been around so long it has to recycle things), he's done it multiple times. Even pointing out that he's used it before to shocked and awed comrades who hadn't seen it yet. And I'm pretty sure there's one episode where he specifically monologues that it would be the perfect plan, except he doesn't have the pokemon he needs at the moment. Go go basic physics!

ericgrau
2009-08-20, 03:40 AM
Brittle Bones: 3rd or 4th level is about right. It seems within the limits of a bestowed curse (wizard 4 / cleric 3). Mechanically it's kinda awkward since the way it works is dissimilar from existing spells. And the risk of death by con damage is a bit high. Maybe a minimum of 1 for the target's con would help. Power-wise this is in fact an out-of-combat spell, perhaps for making someone not want to get in a fight later. It's too slow to work well on the fly.

Soul Fracture: Mind Blank and Imprisonment both thwart wish as 8th & 9th level spells. At least 1 5th level spell does not. I'd put Soul Fracture at 7th level, maybe 8th since the RP effects are so intense. But 9th level "screw yous" should tell even wish to shove it, requiring more specialized 9th level spells instead.

Visting Babau: Bestow curse gives a -4 to all the same checks and more at only wizard 4 / cleric 3. The only advantage for Visiting Babau is that it's harder to remove. You could drop the spell to cleric 2 and make it easier to remove, put it at cleric 4ish (or somewhere between 2 and 6) with the same removal method, or increase the penalties in accordance with a higher level spell.

Eloel
2009-08-20, 04:37 AM
Maybe a minimum of 1 for the target's con would help.
Straight Wizards die at Con 3, no matter how lucky they're at rolling HPs.

The Neoclassic
2009-08-20, 10:30 AM
I'm not that good at balance, but you might want to make it Sor/Wiz 3 and Clr 4. Just a thought.

Sounds like others would tend to agree with you, and it seems reasonable to me. Good suggestion; I shall change it!

I'm wondering why cleric at all? I think Bard would be more fitting. So Bard 3, Sor/Wiz 3, i'd say. Puts it below Shout, so I think that works fine.

Well, in my setting, it's only available to clerics of the goddess of vengeance. I am adding it to the bard spell list though; good thought.

These are all cool ideas. I'm going to jot them down in my book of DM Evil.

Awesome. Let me know if you end up using any, and if so, how they turn out! I'd love some feedback from actual playtesting. :smallsmile:

About Soul Fracture... This is just a thought, but would the victim's listlessness and apathy perhaps cause them to take a penalty on Will saves? It's probably overkill, but I could see an evil wizard dominating victims of this spell after breaking them, thus ensuring they have nothing that would give them reason to break free from his control...

Actually... In light of the following comments about Soul Fracture not being powerful enough to be a level 9 spell, I think I may add a very serious Will save penalty. Indeed, the loss of one's soul and some of one's individuality would probably make one far less mentally resilient (sp?). I'll add that in soon!

Brittle Bones: 3rd or 4th level is about right. It seems within the limits of a bestowed curse (wizard 4 / cleric 3). Mechanically it's kinda awkward since the way it works is dissimilar from existing spells. And the risk of death by con damage is a bit high. Maybe a minimum of 1 for the target's con would help. Power-wise this is in fact an out-of-combat spell, perhaps for making someone not want to get in a fight later. It's too slow to work well on the fly.

Yeah, I realize its mechanics are a bit weird. I'll be keeping it at 4th then, but I rather like the idea of someone's bones being destroyed to the point of death. Or rather, the potential for that to happen from this spell. It isn't really a combat spell persay, I'd agree, but it's more useful to adventurers than Silo Seal and stuff like that, hence me putting it in this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Soul Fracture: Mind Blank and Imprisonment both thwart wish as 8th & 9th level spells. At least 1 5th level spell does not. I'd put Soul Fracture at 7th level, maybe 8th since the RP effects are so intense. But 9th level "screw yous" should tell even wish to shove it, requiring more specialized 9th level spells instead.

Hmm. I really want it to be 9th, frankly, as sort of the capstone spell for a bunch of evil clerics. What if I add a -6 penalty to Will saves... And add the material component for fixing it with miracle. Basically, with regular wish or miracle, you can repair some of the damage. To fully fix it, you actually have to travel to a certain outer plane to harvest the right sort of proto-soul material to repair their soul... And even in that case, the emotional connections are never instantly repaired and have to be rebuilt, since in essence the miracle will be adding on a bit and forging an ever-so-slightly different soul, since one can never actually recover all the original bits which were shaved off. If people like this idea, or have suggestions to improve on it, that'd be awesome and then I shall adjust the spell accordingly!

Visting Babau: Bestow curse gives a -4 to all the same checks and more at only wizard 4 / cleric 3. The only advantage for Visiting Babau is that it's harder to remove. You could drop the spell to cleric 2 and make it easier to remove, put it at cleric 4ish (or somewhere between 2 and 6) with the same removal method, or increase the penalties in accordance with a higher level spell.

Hmm, what other sort of penalties could I add onto it? What if I increase the penalty for non-CE creatures to -4, give the demon a bonus against banishment, and inflict two points of Constitution damage to the target for the duration of the possession (as the babau wrecks havoc with one's metabolism)? Would that make it fitting for a 6th level spell?

DracoDei
2009-08-20, 10:41 AM
Straight Wizards die at Con 3, no matter how lucky they're at rolling HPs.
Nope. Minimum 1 hp per HD regardless of CON penalties.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-08, 04:44 PM
I want a Divination domain for my clerics. The problem? The Knowledge domain is essentially just divination spells! :smallyuk: So, time to make some new (if slightly silly) spells to fill in the blanks.

Summon Tome
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Effect: One book (see below)
Duration: 1 round / 2 caster levels (D)
Saving Throw: None
You summon a useful book on a particular topic. Upon casting this, you pick a particular topic. A book giving a general overview of that topic is provided; you may not choose to conjure a particular title or tome. For each round you possess the book, you may research a fact or a more generalized question. For simple facts (such as the date or location of a battle), you find the information as if you automatically succeeded at the applicable Knowledge check. For a more general question (but still related to the volume’s topic), you may peruse the book and therefore gain a +4 circumstance bonus towards the Knowledge check to answer said question. Summon tome can’t provide information that requires a difficult Knowledge check (DC 16+ for facts, DC 21+ for more general questions) couldn’t acquire.
The topic of the book must be somewhat specific, such as cuisine, a certain country’s history, military tactics, extraplanar monsters, or the like. One cannot summon a book on an extremely general, broad topic such as “Politics”, though “Political Philosophies” or “Systems of Government” would be an acceptable option.

Vellen’s Falsehood Sensor
Divination
Level: Brd 3, Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Duration: 1 minute/level
You gain the ability to pick out claims and facts which don’t seem right. When talking to an individual, you can tell when they are uttering a falsehood regarding a nonpersonal statement of fact. Any statements which could be reasonably considered opinion (such as “The duke is very mean”) can’t be considered falsehoods by this spell. It doesn’t matter if the individual speaking knows if what they’re saying is true or not; if it is an incorrect statement regarding fact, the caster knows it to be false. In no way does this spell compel any individual to speak, nor give the caster additional information regarding what the truth actually is; it only reveals freely spoken falsehoods as untrue.

Set
2009-09-08, 05:12 PM
I want a Divination domain for my clerics. The problem? The Knowledge domain is essentially just divination spells! :smallyuk: So, time to make some new (if slightly silly) spells to fill in the blanks.

I like the Summon Tome spell. That's a neat idea.

A couple of other Divinations I came up with a long, long time ago, that might work for a Divination Domain;

[Note that neither of these are 'useful' spells, as both are offensive applications of Divination.]

Hostile Thoughts.
Allows an unwilling subject able to hear thoughts.

Divination [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Target, Effect or Area: One creature
Duration: 1 minute/level

Description
The scholar Jheri was often approached in secret and asked to use her divinatory skills to probe the minds of suspected rivals during the plotting and scheming that is rife among her peers in the Calastian royal court. Tiring of such requests, she crafted this spell to grant such pestering nuisances exactly what they claimed to seek, insight into the minds of their rivals…

Spell Effect
The subject of this spell becomes aware of the thoughts of all around her, but does not impart to her any sort of control of this wondrous gift, or any ability to comprehend the images and words that fill her mind. Mental voices of all around intrude on her own thoughts, and their sensory impressions overlap her own, creating a mental confusion that overwhelms and threatens to drive her mad. If the Will resistance roll is made, the subject manages to silence the din and drive the unwanted perceptions from her mind, but otherwise, she suffers a –2 to all attacks and initiative rolls, and a +10% spell failure chance due to her inability to concentrate.

This perception is range-dependent, so that if she moves so that she is not within Close range of any other thinking being, she will find that the voices grow still and that she can act without penalty. This limits her actions to ranged weapon or spell attacks if she wishes to avoid the disorienting effects of her unwanted telepathy. Unlike the more controlled detect thoughts spell, the subject receives no benefit from the mad babel within her mind, as she cannot tell one persons thoughts from another and receives distant memories in foreign tongues as likely as relevant thoughts regarding present issues.

Revelation.
Overwhelms a target with sensory overload.

Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Kno 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 action
Target, Effect or Area: Creature touched
Saving Throw: Will Partial

Description
The battle-mages of Calastia are not known for their use of divination magic, but the sage Jheri was around when Virduk was a babe and sees no need to change her magical focus just because her style of magic is not presently ‘in vogue’ at the royal court. With a touch, she quells any rumor that her ‘gentle arts’ are not able to bring a foe to his knees as quickly as any fireball. It is said that she foresaw the death of King Korlos, and did not act. Who can say what she sees in the future now…

Spell Effect
With a touch, the caster opens the targets mind to all of history. In a fleeting instant, he experiences a nightmarish collage of every past sight, sound, smell and feeling from his current location going back for decades or even centuries, as if he had been standing in this very spot for his entire life. The entire past comes crashing down upon him, and he is stunned by the bewildering images and feelings. Any mind that is not divine cannot contain such knowledge, not even for an instant, and the torrential onslaught of information is as deadly as any blade. If the target fails a Will save, he is stricken unconscious for a minute (after which he is allowed another saving throw versus Will each minute to awaken). If the target succeeds this saving throw, he only catches the barest edge of this unwelcome omniscience and is stunned for a single round. In either case, no useful knowledge is retained when the subject recovers, only nightmarish images and feelings that cause pain to even try to recall.

The Neoclassic
2009-09-08, 09:03 PM
Maw of the Marsh
Transmutation [Water]
Level: Drd 6
Components: S, DF
Area: Up to one 10-ft. cubes/level (S)
Duration: 1 round/2 levels
Saving Throw: See text
You turn one section of ground, be it mud, dirt, rock, sand, or another material, into a bog which entraps those within it. The effects of the spell are primarily a wet, muddy surface, but it also includes some common marsh plant life and insects. Creatures near the edges of the spell get a Reflex save to jump out of the spell’s area; those more than 5 ft. from the affected area’s edge are not. Once in the bog, characters are trapped and begin to sink at the rate of one foot per round. They may not take an action which requires them to move their legs (or as they sink, their arms; and finally they cannot move at all when they’re submerged). Any checks which require concentration take a -2 penalty due to the distracting circumstances of being so entrapped. Finally, the marsh’s water is particularly fetid and vile; it deals one point of Consitution damage per round (Fortitude save negates, but must be remade each round) once a character’s head is submerged.
A character may attempt to free himself from the marsh. This requires a Strength check; the DC begins at 15 + and increases by 2 every round.
Once a character has sunk up to their head in the marsh area, they can no longer breathe. Suffocation rules apply as usual. Additionally, if the spell ends with a character still fully submerged, they do not surface but remain trapped in the earth or other previous ground material.

I'm not entirely happy with how this turned out, but I'm hoping with some help, I can tweak it into something balanced & useful.

I like the Summon Tome spell. That's a neat idea.

Thanks!

A couple of other Divinations I came up with a long, long time ago, that might work for a Divination Domain;

[Note that neither of these are 'useful' spells, as both are offensive applications of Divination.]

Offensive is useful! :smallwink: I actually really like the spells. Would you mind if I used them? :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2009-09-09, 01:25 PM
Maw of the Marsh could probably use an entangle effect added onto it, since it comes across to me as being a high level Entagle with Con damage thrown in. Like if Blood Snow and Transmute Rock to Mud were wrapped into a slick wrapper, which is pretty neat, I think. This is also a prime target for Extend Spell via metamagic rod, as this spell just gets that much more deadly with such on it. You could also take small buildings out with it, which is pretty sweet in and of itself. :smallbiggrin:

Set
2009-09-09, 07:33 PM
Offensive is useful! :smallwink: I actually really like the spells. Would you mind if I used them? :smallsmile:

Help yourself! I like to try and mix things up, and the notion of offensive divination spells appealed to me in it's perversity. :)

Cieyrin
2009-09-10, 03:03 PM
Mr. Burlew had a couple of offensive divinations in his Gaming section, though how keen he'll be in sharing, idk. Just a thought.:smallwink:

The Neoclassic
2009-09-21, 02:03 PM
Guardian Helion
Conjuration (Calling) [Lawful]
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, DF, XP
Casting Time: 1 hour
Target: Willing creature touched
Duration: Permanent (see below; D)
Saving Throw: See below
You call a helion from an Outer Plane to cohabit the target’s body. The target must be fully willing and aware of the effects of this spell. He must be present for the entire duration of the casting time.

This spell may only be cast upon a lawful target; any attempts to do otherwise mean that the spell automatically fails. The target gains the [Lawful] subtype and a lawful aura equal to his character level. The target remains primarily in control of his actions, though the helion may advise, warn, or chastise him telepathically. The helion intends to help the target for the duration of its stay, but only towards lawful ends which agree with the will of Quire, preferably the destruction of undead. This outsider is also aware of all the target’s thoughts and emotions, though not vice versa, making any level of privacy for the target from the outsider impossible.

The target gains a +2 axiomatic bonus to all melee attacks. Once per day, he may use a burst of offensive positive energy as a move-equivalent action. This burst is hemispherical with a 20 ft. radius and deals 5d8+15 positive energy damage to all undead within that range (no save). Additionally, at all times the target’s eyes glow with a supernatural golden light, allowing him to see through all mundane and magical forms of darkness. At all times, the target gains a +1 insight bonus to Initiative checks.

The target may allow the helion to unleash its divination powers, gaining a +4 axiomatic bonus to AC and to Reflex saves, as he gains glimpses into the very near future. However, this knowledge is distracting and imparts a -4 penalty to Concentration checks and a -2 penalty to other checks requiring concentration, as well as a -2 penalty to attacks. Additionally, every round the target must make a Will save (DC 20 + 2 per previous minutes spent using this ability within the past hour) or take 1d4 Wisdom and 1d4 Charisma damage. The helion may activate this ability without the target’s consent if the helion views it as necessary or ideal.

Finally, the target must abide by the helion’s moral axioms. He must destroy undead whenever reasonably possible, he must not lie (though omitting information is acceptable), and he must refrain from partaking in any intoxicating substances. If he fails to do so, he is cursed as by bestow curse, except it can only be removed with atonement or with the spell ending.

Xp cost: 1,000 xp. Additionally, the target of this spell loses 2,000 xp, as if he were paying an xp for casting a spell as well.

Maw of the Marsh could probably use an entangle effect added onto it, since it comes across to me as being a high level Entagle with Con damage thrown in. Like if Blood Snow and Transmute Rock to Mud were wrapped into a slick wrapper, which is pretty neat, I think. This is also a prime target for Extend Spell via metamagic rod, as this spell just gets that much more deadly with such on it. You could also take small buildings out with it, which is pretty sweet in and of itself. :smallbiggrin:

Oooh, I'll have to look up entangle and see about adding it! Thanks. :smallsmile: Also: You help me with SO much homebrew. Please do feel free to PM me if you ever have stuff you'd like my input on or help with!

Also: The above spell makes use of a homebrew monster which I haven't fully statted out yet. I also realize axiomatic bonuses aren't a real sort... but they should be, since there's sacred and profane bonuses. :smalltongue:

Cieyrin
2009-09-21, 07:40 PM
Also: You help me with SO much homebrew. Please do feel free to PM me if you ever have stuff you'd like my input on or help with!

No problem. I enjoy reading your homebrew, as I've said before, so when I notice a thread you've authored, I take a look, as I've found it's always been fairly high quality. I'm not often inspired to brew myself, so offering my insight to those who are is its own pleasure.

As for bonus types for Guardian Helion, I'd honestly make the provided bonuses all insight, as they're all from the Helion's advice and guidance, it seems. As for making axiomatic and anarchic, generally I've found those types of bonuses represented by perfection and luck, really.