PDA

View Full Version : Test of Spite Olo vs Imperialspectre

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 09:47 PM
Buff Rounds: Can we do 6? I dont want to have seperate stats for the two different fights Im doing at the same time...

Map: Is this one ok?

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena2i.gif

EDIT: If so, I call the blue circle.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 10:22 PM
6 smells of a great deal of trickery, but I like trickery too so I suppose that's acceptable.

The map is quite acceptable. I'll start on the right.

Initiative: [roll0]

Buffs (OO):

Square Y10
All-day buffs, all CL 17:
Superior Resistance
Heart of Earth
Heart of Fire
Overland Flight
Nondetection
Heart of Water
Heart of Air
Darkvision
False Life
Protection from Evil
Mage Armor

Buff rounds:
1: True Seeing
2: Displacement (13 rounds)
3: Spell Turning [roll1] (13 rounds)
4: Greater Invisibility (13 rounds)
5: Greater Blink (13 rounds)
6: Twinned Manyjaws, all of which fly 40 feet forward to Q10 (3 rounds duration)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 10:27 PM
Basically quoted from my other fight...

I can do more...I just thought 6 would be good enough :smallsmile:

Oh, and dont open spoilers unless I tell you to. Kinda obvious, but Ive been asked multiple times.

Buffs All Day Buffs: Superior Resistance, Chained Mage Armor, Greater Magic Weapon (x2), Greater mage Armor, Create Magic Tatoo
Round 1: Spiderskin; Fly to N18
Round 2: See Invisibility
Round 3: Greater Invisibility
Round 4: Summon Marlith; Truespeak [roll0]; Fly to B10, 55ft up
Round 5: Chained Shield; Snap Fingers; Fly to B10, 100ft up; Marlith casts Unholy Aura
Round 6: Chained Mirror Image [roll1], Greater Mirror Image [roll2]; Marlith casts Magic Weapon

Oh, and any minions you might have, you can put them anywhere on your half of the map. You have to stay in your colored circle. I'll take blue...that all right?

Positioning:
Marlith at L19-N20; Succubus at A10; Cauchemar Nightmare at A9-C11, 100ft up; Me at B10 100ft up, riding Nightmare; Vrocks at K8-L9, K10-L11, and K12-L13; Retrivers at J15-L17, J18-L20, K1-N3, H1-J3, and B9-D11

Initiative:
Creature Type 1: [roll0]
Creature Type 2: [roll1]
Creature Type 3: [roll2]
Creature Type 4: [roll3]
Creature Type 5: [roll4]
Creature Type 6: [roll5]

Identification:
1: Succubus, 2: Marlith, 3: Me, 4: Vrocks, 5: Cauchemar Nightmare, 6: Retrivers

What are your vision modes?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 10:34 PM
Rolls didnt transfer...
Truespeak [roll0]
Mirror Image [roll1]
Greater Mirror Image [roll2]

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 10:35 PM
True Seeing, Darkvision.

Creature Types 3 and 5 go, then me, then the rest of your mooks (or you, if you're not 3 or 5.

What are your vision modes, for each creature type? (I trust you not to metagame, of course - do you have any kind of telepathy to your minions that would let you see what they see and/or vice versa? If so, do whatever works for you. :) )

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 10:38 PM
I dont, unfortanately. I forgot to slip a level of mindbender in...

2 has True Seeing, and 3 has See Invisibility.

You see a giant horde of enemies in front of you. On the opposite side of the map stands a girl wearing revealing clothing and holding a gnarled staff (A10).

Infront of her, and on the sides of the map, there are 5 spiderlike creatures, with scorpion claws on their front 4 legs (J15-L17, J18-L20, K1-N3, H1-J3, and B9-D11). Above her is a giant, flaming horse with smoke billowing from its hooves (A9-C11). In front of her aways are 3 giant mixtures between birds and humans (K8-L9, K10-L11, and K12-L13). Standing infront of one of the spider is a creature that looks like a 6 armed woman from the waist up, and a giant snake from the waist down.

Your true seeing is 120ft, correct?

EDIT: Each of us knows the other is starting in the other circle. Just so you know your character knows.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 10:45 PM
Know Planes: [roll0]

If I make this, which I'm just about certain I will, I'll just pull up the vrock and marilith entries in the SRD. However, I can't recall what the others are, so please tell me if/when I ID them. :)

Is the hot chick shapeshifted or anything like that? (True Seeing)

#2 sees a tall elf wearing wizard's robes, blinking rapidly back and forth across the Ethereal Plane. #3 sees the same thing, but with an identical copy (both shapes are equally blurred and indistinct).

(And yes, sorry, True Seeing is 120 feet for me. As my character is in Y10, I have True Seeing all the way to the other end of the map at ground level.)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 10:57 PM
Damn it, I hate that skill.

You cant pull them up, thats metagaming :smalleek::smallamused:

Girl is a succubus, shapeshifted into human form
Marlith
Vrocks
Retriver
Cauchemar Nightmare; there are actually 8 Nightmares in the sky :smallamused:

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:05 PM
3 delays till 5, then casts Glitterdust.

Glitter falls out of the air, sticking to you, negating invisibility, reducing your hide skill by 40, and forcing you to make a DC 21 will save.

Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:08 PM
I would argue that when my character beats the Knowledge DC as badly as he did, the only reasonable way to respond is for me to be able to view the monster entries. Otherwise, we're working on my memory instead of the memory of a character whose Intelligence score is at least 10 points higher than mine.

IC:

Cavrin scowls at the array of creatures before him, then glances around to figure out where their master is hiding. "Two things are clear," he remarks to his hidden foe. "The first is that you're an unusually evil person, without whom the world will be better off. You'll observe the second momentarily."

Will save in next post, because the roller won't accept edits.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:10 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Cavrin retains the benefits of displacement and greater blink.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:15 PM
You can ask 2 questions about the marlith, 4 about the succubus, 3 about the vrocks, and 3 about the retrivers if you wish.

EDIT: And 2 about the nightmare.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:19 PM
And since I can still see, here's my action:
Cavrin flies 50 feet straight up. "The second thing," he adds grimly, "is that for the most part, you neglected to pick minions that could fly."

As he moves, a set of barely-visible, disembodied jaws charge from Q10 to B10, rending the succubus apart. (Auto-hit, [roll0] damage, Reflex 21 half).

Edit: Questions:

(For all)
1. List the spell-like abilities, spells, and supernatural abilities of each creature.
2. State the highest save of each creature.
(All except marilith)
3. State the spell resistance of each creature.
(Succubus only)
4. State the second-highest save of the creature.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:22 PM
Does damage reduction apply to that?

[roll0] :smalleek:

How will I have fun after the battle?

Question asked, question answered, assuming I can use DR.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:25 PM
Don't assume that was a question, the manyjaws were cast during the last buff round. :)

DR does not apply, because it's force damage. Take 38.

If the succubus has SR, let me know, but I'm fairly certain I'll auto-make it or pretty close.

Oh, crap, I'm sorry. The glitterdust from your last action was warded by a spell turning effect. So you take the glitterdust, not me, and you make a Will save at the original DC.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:32 PM
Glitterdust was not targeted on you. Does that make a difference? It was targeted on the red area.

SR 18. Otherwise...-5 hp :smallfurious:

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:34 PM
You're correct that that makes a difference. Oh well, I was hoping for an easier way to detect you. Sorry I missed that. :smallredface:

SR roll: [roll0] (And boom goes the dynamite :smallbiggrin:)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:41 PM
Succubus, Marlith, Retrivers, Vrocks, Me/Nightmare

The girl smiles at you, and your subconcious realizes that its under attack. Make a DC 22 Will save.

imperialspectre
2009-08-09, 11:44 PM
What girl? The succubus was just ripped into shreds by the manyjaws.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-09, 11:54 PM
Sorry, forgot.

Marlith delays after Retrievers, then casts Blade Barrier.
Retrievers use eye rays, then ready an action to use eye rays again if you cast a spell.

The Marlith waves her hand, and a wall of blades appears where you are.

[roll0], Reflex save DC 23 to avoid.

The Retrievers all use their eye rays at you.

Attack [roll1] Ranged Touch.
Displacement [roll2], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll3], 2 misses
Damage [roll4] Fire damage, Reflex DC 18 for half
Attack [roll5] Ranged Touch.
Displacement [roll6], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll7], 2 misses
Damage [roll8] Cold damage, Reflex DC 18 for half
Attack [roll9] Ranged Touch.
Displacement [roll10], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll11], 2 misses
Damage [roll12] Cold damage, Reflex DC 18 for half
Attack [roll13] Ranged Touch.
Displacement [roll14], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll15], 2 misses
Damage [roll16] Electricity damage, Reflex DC 18 for half
Attack [roll17] Ranged Touch.
Displacement [roll18], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll19], 2 misses
Damage [roll20] Electricity damage, Reflex DC 18 for half

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 12:00 AM
Reflex vs. Blade Barrier, dodging behind the barrier. [roll0]

Reflex vs. Eye Ray, +2 for cover from Blade Barrier. [roll1]

Also, the Eye Ray is deflected without taking effect.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 12:04 AM
Into your sight swoops an elf riding the Nightmare. He is dressed as a conventional wizard, though he wields a longsword. He casts a spell, and you feel your buffs draining away...

I need a list of your buffs, then your CL at the time you cast them.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 12:13 AM
That's a Greater Dispel Magic, innit?

If so, that is reflected back on you, because only the targeted version could threaten my buffs.

Also, what square is your character in?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 12:15 AM
Actually...Spell Theft. It was targeted on you. Damn.

Does this mean function as if it was cast by you or me?

I am 60ft above you.

EDIT: Forgot to have the Vrocks go. Can I say they were delaying after me?

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 12:19 AM
I don't know if it counts as being your spell or my spell. I just IMed Tide to ask him about it.

EDIT: And sure, the vrocks can delay. Works for me.

Doc Roc
2009-08-10, 12:42 AM
Spell turning is intended to entirely "turn back the spell on the original caster."
Resolve the spell theft as though the caster was now Spectre.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 12:46 AM
Ok...listing my buffs: CL 14
Create Magic Tatoo
Superior Resistance
Chained Mage Armor
Greater Magic Weapon
Greater mage Armor
Spiderskin
See Invisibility
Greater Invisibility
Chained Shield
Chained Mirror Image
Greater Mirror Image

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 12:49 AM
Create Magic Tatoo [roll0]
Superior Resistance [roll1]
Chained Mage Armor [roll2]
Greater Magic Weapon [roll3]
Greater mage Armor [roll4]
Spiderskin [roll5]
See Invisibility [roll6]
Greater Invisibility [roll7]
Chained Shield [roll8]
Chained Mirror Image [roll9]
Greater Mirror Image [roll10]

You retain Create Magic Tattoo, Chained Shield, and Greater Mirror Image.

Edit: It is now the vrocks' turn. How many mirror images are there on the Chained Mirror Image?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 12:57 AM

That was some pretty nice rolling...now Im pretty screwed.

The Vrocks finish some sort of dance, then a wave of crackling energy shoots from them. [roll0] damage, DC 18 Reflex for half.

EDIT: Do you take the chained spells from everyone involved, or just me?

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:02 AM
Would've been nice if you'd told me they were dancing before now, since that's something my character could've seen. Not really in a position to complain, though.

Reflex save: [roll0]

EDIT: Since this is Spell Theft, and not Reaving Dispel, I'd assume the other creatures retain their own spells. I am, in fact, fairly certain that's the case.

Is it my turn now?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I thought I mentioned it...no, I said it on the other thread...Damn, sorry.

Yes, its your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:14 AM
Cavrin looks almost sad as he forms another spell. "You can't expect to survive like this for long, you know. Your demons would rather feast on you than serve you." Your head feels like it is splitting open, and your mind begins to slip away. Will 23, take a -4 penalty on the save if you can cast arcane spells.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:18 AM
Since my magical save defense got stripped away, and I didnt have that high saves in the first place....

[roll0] FAIL

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:19 AM
Okay. The manyjaws shift focus from the unconscious succubus to the marilith, flying over and chewing on her a bit.

Damage [roll0]
Reflex 22 half
Is the Marilith under mirror images?

End turn.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:20 AM
Yes.

[roll0]

And what is your alignment? Doesnt matter.

EDIT: What happened to me after I failed the save?
EDIT2: SR 25

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:30 AM
If the target creature fails a Will saving throw, its Intelligence and Charisma scores each drop to 1. The affected creature is unable to use Intelligence- or Charisma-based skills, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. Still, it knows who its friends are and can follow them and even protect them. The subject remains in this state until a heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish spell is used to cancel the effect of the feeblemind. A creature that can cast arcane spells, such as a sorcerer or a wizard, takes a -4 penalty on its saving throw.

Spell Resistance for the Marilith: [roll0]

Mirror Image doesn't matter because of True Seeing. I swear, my brain is starting to go. Take 36.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:34 AM
Ok...great. Just great. Mine is too, if I couldnt recognize that spell from your description...

Marlith casts another Blade Barrier at you, dismissing the other one and this one if you dodge it.

[roll0], DC 23 Reflex save for half.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:43 AM
Init: You, Succubus, Marlith, Retrivers, Vrocks, Me/Nightmare

Retrivers delay.

The Vrocks fly up twords you and give loud screeches. Make 3 DC 22 Fortitude saves.

Nightmare uses Ethrealness, before flying 90ft up

You see the elf and the Nightmare dissapear, before reappearing on the Ethreal plane before flying 90ft up: 150ft away from you.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:47 AM
First, how close to me do they approach?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 01:47 AM
30ft, sorry.

EDIT: Because of the way turns work, if you do anything, the second and third can try something else.

And I need that marlith save.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 01:56 AM
Right:

Marilith: [roll0]

Vrock1: [roll1]
Vrock2: [roll2]
Vrock3: [roll3]

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 02:01 AM
So...you take 48 damage and are stunned for 1 turn.

Your turn goes by. The Marlith charges at you.

+1 Longsword [roll0]
Greater Blink [roll1], 1 misses
Damage [roll2]

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 02:04 AM
Contingency activates before the Marilith attacks. Cavrin dim doors 920 feet straight up from his current location. Your move.

EDIT: Incidentally, I don't understand why all the vrocks screeched instead of attacking or readying. I'm pretty sure the stun durations wouldn't stack. It is, of course, your call.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 02:10 AM
So he is falling from 920ft?

Retrivers ready an action to hit him if he hits the ground.

The Vrocks greater teleport to where he is before unloading their spores on him.

He takes [roll0] damage, and each turn for the next ten turns does [roll1] damage.

EDIT: I forgot about that. They would have attacked, giving the marlith another action and one of them already could have teleported, letting him attack this turn. So there is still a Marlith action, a Vrock Full Attack, and a Nightmare move. I will adress these in the next post.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 02:18 AM
Marlith uses another Blade Barrier, immediately dismissing it after using it. As you are stunned, I dont think you can avoid it.

[roll0]

Vrock Full Attack:
Claw [roll1]
Displacement [roll2], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll3], 2 misses
Damage [roll4]
Claw [roll5]
Displacement [roll6], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll7], 2 misses
Damage [roll8]
Bite [roll9]
Displacement [roll10], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll11], 2 misses
Damage [roll12]
Talon [roll13]
Displacement [roll14], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll15], 2 misses
Damage [roll16]
Talon [roll17]
Displacement [roll18], 2 misses
Greater Blink [roll19], 2 misses
Damage [roll20]

Nightmare runs sideways, moving 360ft Z-wards.

You are now 770 ft above Vir, and 360ft A-wards. He is also on the ethreal plane.

EDIT: End Turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 02:22 AM
He's not falling. He flies, remember?

The vrocks get their spore attacks. Cavrin then defensively casts Dimension Door again, automatically making the Concentration check and teleporting 100 feet away. He then activates his Circlet of Rapid Casting and quickens a Rope Trick (together, a single swift action), and enters and closes the Rope Trick (a move action).

His actions for the next few hours are more or less predictable. As there isn't any way to enter the Rope Trick, and I'm fairly certain none of your minions have any form of dispelling or AMF, Cavrin will be able to rest undisturbed and re-prepare spells.

I'm calling it a night; I had a long day. Good game so far; feel free to have your high-INT minions plot. :)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 02:24 AM
Good Night.

Does the damage from the Blade Barriers + Initial Spores + The rest of the spores kill you? 159 damage. Or 114 before you had a chance to heal yourself.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 10:37 AM
Okay, full stop. We need to establish an order of actions here.

Your round, immediately after you're feebleminded:

Marilith activates Blade Barrier. Cavrin fails the Reflex save, takes damage.

Vrocks fly in, screech. Second vrock stuns, third vrock attacks and triggers contingency.

When the contingency triggers, Cavrin is way out of range of the marilith's blade barrier, which means you don't get an additional blade barrier. It is possible for the vrocks to greater teleport to his location and trigger the spores, after which he will act as I posted (dim door, rope trick, do things to recover).

The third vrock can't predict where Cavrin will dim door before the contingency activates (he can't even know that there IS a contingency), which means that there is not a combination of actions on your part that gives any of your minions a full attack. From the actions that you've already posted, Cavrin takes full damage from 1 blade barrier and full damage from the spores, which is not sufficient to kill him (although it's close).

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 05:12 PM
Okay, full stop. We need to establish an order of actions here.

Your round, immediately after you're feebleminded:

Marilith activates Blade Barrier. Cavrin fails the Reflex save, takes damage.

Correct so far.

Vrocks fly in, screech. Second vrock stuns, third vrock attacks and triggers contingency.

The first one stunned, the second one attacked, which triggered contingency.

The third teleported to where you were.

When the contingency triggers, Cavrin is way out of range of the marilith's blade barrier, which means you don't get an additional blade barrier. It is possible for the vrocks to greater teleport to his location and trigger the spores, after which he will act as I posted (dim door, rope trick, do things to recover).

I realize that now. You take 48 less damage.

The third vrock can't predict where Cavrin will dim door before the contingency activates (he can't even know that there IS a contingency), which means that there is not a combination of actions on your part that gives any of your minions a full attack. From the actions that you've already posted, Cavrin takes full damage from 1 blade barrier and full damage from the spores, which is not sufficient to kill him (although it's close).

One more Vrock attack, though it probalby doesnt matter.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 05:23 PM
Preperations: Marlith dissapears, Vrocks ready actions to attack anyone who comes out of the Rope Trick; they also get AOOs. If I can find a caster within 3 hours, good. If not...Vir comes back, then has the Vrocks dig him a hole 180ft away from the main battle, not easily observed. He readies an action to summon a Marlith onto his Nightmare, which has readied an action to charge when the wizard escapes the Rope Trick.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 05:29 PM
Other Preperations Vrocks use Heal skill on the succubus, who is at -6.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
DC 15
If that succeeds, they use long-term care on her, and she heals 12 hp over the night, leaving her at 6.
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
DC 15

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 05:31 PM
Still More Try again with the healing...
First Aid; -7 [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
DC 15
Longterm Care[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
DC 15

Succubus readies action to use Charm Monster on anyone exiting the Rope Trick.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 06:36 PM
While making your preparations, please note that Vir is not actually capable of planning coherently, seeing as he has INT 1 until hit with a heal spell, nor is he capable of communicating plans effectively, since he has CHA 1 for the same amount of time. Also note that you can't summon anything with him, since that would at minimum require "communicating coherently." Other than that, feel free to do whatever.

I'm currently getting set up for a possible business trip, so I may or may not be able to continue right now. If not, I'll do my best to be around this evening.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 07:38 PM
Vir isnt needed for the planning...

The Nightmare has 16 Intellegence, the vrocks have 14. It isnt that advanced a plan.

Though...that stupid feeblemind description ruined part of my plan. Vir can still make a DC 47 Truespeak check with 1 Intellegence...

Different Preparations Vir gives his blindfold to one of the Vrocks, who can alert the others as to when the wizard comes out. The retrivers ready actions to attack when they see or have the Vrock tell them. The Nightmare readies an action to grapple anyone who comes out of the portal.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 07:54 PM
Okay, time to post my preparations. Note that Cavrin has been able to observe what's going on through the window of the rope trick, so I'd like to know the positions of all creatures who are set up outside it.

First off, healing: Cavrin will expend 14 charges from his Wand of Lesser Vigor, assuming no rolled 1s. If there is a natural 1, he'll switch to his backup wand. This is adequate to restore him to full HP.

UMD rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]

Next, new spells prepared:
1: Nerveskitter x2, True Strike, Feather Fall, Shield, Benign Transposition
2: False Life, False Life, Glitterdust, Scorching Ray x2, Darkvision
3: Displacement, Ray of Exhaustion, Manyjaws x3, Heart of Water
4: Greater Invisibility, Dimension Door, Dimension Door x2, Ray Deflection, Heart of Earth
5: Greater Blink, Empowered Manyjaws x2, Wall of Force
6: Greater Dispel Magic, Contingency, Howling Chain
7: Power Word: Blind, Twinned Manyjaws, Waves of Exhaustion

Since hour-level buffs have several hours left to go, Cavrin retains the benefit of his prior buffs. He will re-cast some of them, however, since he wants his temp HP back.

Re-cast spells:
Heart of Earth, False Life [roll14], Contingency: Dimension Door if a creature not under my direct control approaches, teleports, or is summoned to within 15 feet of my location.

Cavrin then casts:
Invisibility on Amy the Rat, his familiar
Shield
Ray Deflection
Greater Blink
Greater Invisibility
Displacement

Exit from the rope trick will be determined once viable intelligence is gathered regarding demon locations.

EDIT: People should note here, for future reference, that this is why wizards are broken. A sorcerer can do most of these tricks, but there are tradeoffs. A wizard can completely re-spec strategies and spells in a period of a few hours.

Please let me know where the demons are positioned around my rope trick, if they are. Also, note that unless the Marilith is still there (I doubt it, if you're doing what I think you're doing) nobody can detect Cavrin as he is invisible and Vir can't communicate his location.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 07:59 PM
Centered around the entrance to the rope trick are the three Vrocks. One is wearing a blindfold. The Nightmare is a short distance away. The succubus stands on the ground. You dont see Vir.

And...I can see you. Just so you know :smallsmile:

Probably wont make any difference, I suck at making wizards.

imperialspectre
2009-08-10, 08:04 PM
Okay. Since both sides are prepared for an enemy, Cavrin can see the enemy, and your side can see the entrance to the rope trick, shouldn't we roll initiative prior to Cav leaving the rope trick?

Also, if the blindfold is your method of detection, the item I'm remembering has a limited range. Is that the case? At any rate, I believe that Cavrin will probably be able to figure out which one of the demons is newly able to see him. Is there a skill check or something that you feel I should make for that?

Initiative: [roll0] (nerveskitter)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-10, 08:12 PM
Nightmare [roll0]
Vrocks [roll1]
Succubus [roll2]
Retrivers [roll3]

EDIT: The item gives 60ft blindsight. I dont see how you could determine that it would, though your character may be able to guess after a round or two.
Also, does this mean you step out, and this initiative happens?

imperialspectre
2009-08-11, 01:17 AM
Yes, I step out of the Rope Trick, and this initiative takes effect.

However, you might have a problem in terms of acting, unless someone other than one of the flat-footed vrocks can see an invisible, blinking, displaced wizard. ;)

Also, I think that Cavrin can figure out which of the creatures can actually see him, since that creature won't be dealing with him as if he had total concealment. If the creature is directing the other enemies, I'd think that would also be a pretty good indication.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-11, 07:05 PM
Well, the second you walk out, the vrock wearing the blindfold squacks, and everyone does their readied actions.

Assuming you are still greater blinking and invisible...

Succubus: Make a DC 22 Will save. (If you somehow fail, the attacks stop here).

Blindfolded Vrock
Claw [roll0]
Greater Blink [roll1], 5 misses
Damage [roll2]

Vrock
Claw [roll3]
Greater Blink [roll4], 2 misses
Invisibility [roll5], 2 misses
Damage [roll6]

Vrock
Claw [roll7]
Greater Blink [roll8], 2 misses
Invisibility [roll9], 2 misses
Damage [roll10]

Retrivers...let me know if you dont have Ray Deflection active for some reason this time. They fire their rays at you.

The Nightmare tries to grapple you.
Touch Attack [roll11]
You get an AOO...if you succeed, the grapple fails.
Grapple [roll12]

imperialspectre
2009-08-11, 07:36 PM
Succubus attack fails if it's [Mind-Affecting], and I'm pretty sure it is.

Vrock connects and does 14 damage.

Retrievers' attacks are deflected without effect.

Grapple attempt fails (secondary effect of Heart of Water).

My turn now?

EDIT: Also, all of your creatures except for the blindfolded one have to roll 50% miss chance for Displacement as well.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-11, 07:50 PM
You cant have Displacement AND Invisibility both giving seperate miss chances, it defies logic.

My Nightmare, succubus, and Retrivers still have to go.

The Nightmare kicks at you.

Hoof [roll0]
Invisibility [roll1], 2 misses
Blink [roll2], 2 misses
Damage [roll3]
+ Fire [roll4]
Hoof [roll5]
Invisibility [roll6], 2 misses
Blink [roll7], 2 misses
Damage [roll8]
+ Fire [roll9]
Bite [roll10]
Invisibility [roll11], 2 misses
Blink [roll12], 2 misses
Damage [roll13]

The succubus flies up 50ft and casts Detect thoughts. Once she is in range, she can tell where you are.

The Retrivers move directly under you and Ready an action to attack you if you fall

EDIT: Your turn.

imperialspectre
2009-08-11, 08:26 PM
Detect Thoughts is [Mind-Affecting] and therefore fails.

First,
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

If the blindfolded vrock can beat either one of those checks, he can spot a tiny invisible rat withdrawing away from the combat. Since the creature he spots is using the withdraw action, the vrock can't make an attack of opportunity, and since it's not the vrock's turn trickery with spores isn't an option.

Your demons hear a single word of power, and suddenly the blindfolded vrock finds he can't see anymore. Cavrin then disappears entirely.

(OO)
Cavrin's familiar, Amy the Rat, flies 40 feet straight down using the withdraw action.

Cavrin casts Power Word: Blind on the blindfolded vrock, then Benign Transposition with himself and Amy.

Amy readies an action to blink away from spore attacks. Hide checks, if necessary, are at +36, and she cannot be detected by Move Silently as she is not moving.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-11, 08:32 PM
Automatically beats the Move Silently.

How far away did the rat move?

imperialspectre
2009-08-11, 08:35 PM
40 feet.

(10 char)

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-11, 08:54 PM
(10 char)?

Ok, one of the vrocks grabs the blindfold and puts it on his own head. Full-Round Action.

The blinded Vrock then flys right next to where the rat is (or was, he cant tell) and screeches.

Make a DC 22 Fortitude save or be stunned for anyone within 30ft.

The blindfolded vrock...what does he see?

imperialspectre
2009-08-11, 09:02 PM
The blinded Vrock does not affect anyone.

The Vrock with the blindfold sees a rat in the space where the wizard used to be. The rat is blinking.

(10 character minimum for posts on this board)

(OO)
The Vrock's approach triggers a Contingency, and Cavrin dim doors 40 feet further back from the group of demons, so 80 feet total.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-11, 10:31 PM
The blindfolded vrock points the rat out, and the remaining Vrock Full Attacks it.

Claw [roll0]
Invisibility [roll1], 2 misses
Blinking [roll2], 2 misses
Damage [roll3]
Claw [roll4]
Invisibility [roll5], 2 misses
Blinking [roll6], 2 misses
Damage [roll7]
Bite [roll8]
Invisibility [roll9], 2 misses
Blinking [roll10], 2 misses
Damage [roll11]
Talon [roll12]
Invisibility [roll13], 2 misses
Blinking [roll14], 2 misses
Damage [roll15]
Talon [roll16]
Invisibility [roll17], 2 misses
Blinking [roll18], 2 misses
Damage [roll19]

The Nightmare full attacks the rat.
Hoof [roll20]
Invisibility [roll21], 2 misses
Blinking [roll22], 2 misses
Damage [roll23]
+Fire [roll24]
Hoof [roll25]
Invisibility [roll26], 2 misses
Blinking [roll27], 2 misses
Damage [roll28]
+Fire [roll29]
Bite [roll30]
Invisibility [roll31], 2 misses
Blinking [roll32], 2 misses
Damage [roll33]

The Succubus flies off, moving away from the battlefield.

It goes by a circumspect route to where Vir is hiding, taking 3 turns to do so at a 200ft-per-turn run.

The Retrivers fire at the rat...though it likely has Ray Deflection as well.

Your turn.

EDIT: Sorry about the delay. Family came over for a bit.

imperialspectre
2009-08-12, 12:01 AM
Okay.

First off, Amy crawls back into the Rope Trick (move action, the vrock that can see her is entitled to an AoO but it won't be lethal) and closes it up (move action).

Second, I believe it's fair to say that Cavrin can perceive that the blindfold is responsible for making the enemy able to see invisibility. If you feel otherwise, say so. Absent objections, here are Cavrin's actions.

Burn 2nd charge from Circlet of Rapid Casting to effectively-quicken a True Strike.

Cast Disintegrate, targeting the blindfold.

The Mask of the Skull, from the SRD, has 10 hp. If you have more specific stats for this blindfold, let me know.

Rolling 1d20 to make sure I don't roll a 1: [roll0]
Fort 25
Disintegrate auto-kills any object smaller than a 10-foot cube, so I only have to roll damage if the save succeeds. If so, [roll1]

After that, Cavrin moves 25 feet (half speed) to the side of his position to avoid teleport + spore trickery. I'm fairly certain flying creatures are supposed to get a bonus to Move Silently, but I can't find where that's stated. Do you know?
Hide: [roll2] (blinded Vrock can't make a check, all others are at a -8 penalty)
Move Silently: [roll3] (blinded Vrock at a -4 penalty, all others at a -8 penalty)

EDIT: By RAW, using Listen to detect the presence of an invisible creature is only possible via an epic skill usage. I doubt that's going to happen with any of the demons. Also, it's a +20 to the DC to pinpoint the location of an invisible creature, at which point the invisible creature still retains a 50% miss chance.

Olo Demonsbane
2009-08-12, 12:51 AM
Ok, I guess that works.

I think you are thinking of incorporeal creatures with Move Silently.

Spot:
Vrock 1: [roll0]
Vrock 2: [roll1]

Listen:
Vrock 1: [roll2]
Vrock 2: [roll3]
Vrock B: [roll4]

EDIT: HAH! ALL of the vrocks pinpointed you with Listen!

imperialspectre
2009-08-12, 01:19 AM
EDIT: Post was in error, please disregard.