PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, feat] Dauntless

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 12:17 AM
A new feat! (And my first homebrew one...)

Dauntless [General]
Your willpower is exceptionally strong, and you are difficult to frighten.
Prerequisites: Iron Will
Benefit: If you make a successful will save against an effect, which would then cause it to have a partial effect on you (such as inflict spells dealing half damage), completely negate the effects. You also receive a +2 bonus to will saves against fear effects.

How does it look?

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 12:47 AM
It's kind of like using Shape Soulmeld to net yourself evasion. Having Iron Will as requirement kind of hurts, but even getting yourself Mettle for just Will saves is not bad if you're hurting to get a feat.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 12:52 AM
It's kind of like using Shape Soulmeld to net yourself evasion. Having Iron Will as requirement kind of hurts, but even getting yourself Mettle for just Will saves is not bad if you're hurting to get a feat.

Um. I don't know what Shape Soulmeld is haha, sorry. Same with Mettle.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-08-10, 12:58 AM
Um. I don't know what Shape Soulmeld is haha, sorry. Same with Mettle.

Shape Soulmeld is a feat from Magic of Incarnum, which nets you one quasimagical ability/item, which is the whole schtick of the classes in that book. One of those "items" happens to give you Evasion.

Mettle is like Evasion, but works for Will and Fort saves instead. Only a handful of classes give the ability.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 01:08 AM
Shape Soulmeld is a feat from Magic of Incarnum, which nets you one quasimagical ability/item, which is the whole schtick of the classes in that book. One of those "items" happens to give you Evasion.

Mettle is like Evasion, but works for Will and Fort saves instead. Only a handful of classes give the ability.

Haha, I've never seen that ability before, which is why I came up with this feat! (Woo)

I also just remembered that Evasion is not a feat. Damn it.

nysisobli
2009-08-10, 01:10 AM
i like the feat myself, and i like iron will. I SAID IT I LIKE IRON WILL

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 01:11 AM
i like the feat myself, and i like iron will. I SAID IT I LIKE IRON WILL

OH SNAP! ME TOO! *High five!*

nysisobli
2009-08-10, 01:13 AM
Highfive!!!!

Cieyrin
2009-08-10, 12:33 PM
Iron Will is more useful on those with poor Will than good Will. This feat just exacerbates the difference, as the poor Will classes can't get it till 12th and the high Will get it as early as 4th (though how you get a feat slot there, I don't know, as it's not a bonus fighter feat, so you couldn't take it till 6th, anyways).

PumpkinEater
2009-08-10, 12:35 PM
Iron Will is more useful on those with poor Will than good Will. This feat just exacerbates the difference, as the poor Will classes can't get it till 12th and the high Will get it as early as 4th (though how you get a feat slot there, I don't know, as it's not a bonus fighter feat, so you couldn't take it till 6th, anyways).

Ahh... you're right. Perhaps Base Will Save +2 would be better?

And I ALWAYS get Iron Will if I'm playing a character who's major class has a poor will save.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 01:46 PM
Why make it have a base will requirement at all? Iron Will is already a subpar feat not to mention a requirement, so they won't be able to get Will-only mettle cheap.

I like, btw.

Harperfan7
2009-08-10, 03:40 PM
I'd get it.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-08-10, 03:41 PM
What are the spells that this will affect? Mettle is mediocre (or at least that's what I've heard) because not many spells actually use Fortitude half or Will half.

AstralFire
2009-08-10, 03:45 PM
It's nice, but it's not as big for Fort and Will as Evasion is for Ref. Where it gets crazy is Improved Mettle.

PumpkinEater
2009-08-11, 12:20 AM
It's nice, but it's not as big for Fort and Will as Evasion is for Ref. Where it gets crazy is Improved Mettle.

Haha, what's Improved Mettle do?

I stuck on the base will save requirement because I felt that it'd be slightly overpowered. I actually didn't take into account the crawling rate at which most classes acquire their base will save. I guess I'll remove it.

Eloel
2009-08-11, 05:38 AM
Haha, what's Improved Mettle do?

I haven't seen Improved Mettle, but thinking helps...
Yes, I said thinking, I know it's rare.
Mettle is Evasion for Fort & Will.
Improved Mettle should be Improved Evasion for Fort & Will.

Wow, that was hard to think of...

peacenlove
2009-08-11, 06:02 AM

Sorry for hijaking but it was begging to be asked. Where is that ability located? Cause i tried to homebrew it myself.