PDA

View Full Version : New character concept ideas?

Paganboy28
2009-08-10, 04:59 AM
Opinions please...

If I was to start a new character, I was thinking of an Archivist. They seem to be wizards in armour who can access ALL divine spells. This sounds pretty good to me.

However, few questions:

1) What race would be good for an Archivist (non-evil and not too high LA).

2) What PrC's would be good for an Archivist?

3) Is going into a PrC good for an Archivist or should they stay until 20th level?

4) Is going mutli-class Archivist/Arcane caster a good idea to get loads of spell choice?

AslanCross
2009-08-10, 05:40 AM
1) Human is good for any. Gray Elf works too, due to the Int bonus.

2, 3) Typically Archivist can do well on its own, though Sacred Exorcist fits the theme quite well. Another good one might be Paragnostic Apostle.

4) I know there's some loophole or other that allows you to do this without multiclassing. Typically it's a bad idea to sacrifice caster levels, though.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-10, 05:49 AM
1) Races
Grey Elf (MM): They would probably be more inclined to become an archivist than a cleric anyway, and the Int +2 helps out.

Illumian (RoD): This is actually the first race that came to mind, I'm not entirely sure why. It definitely fits and would make an interesting character.

Fire Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfFire) (UA): "Politically they disdain constraints on behavior, especially moral or religious inhibitions, or constraints imposed by conventional authority." Archivists don't have to worship any specific deity or be a part of any organized church, and IIRC they don't have any restriction on alignment-subtype spells like other divine spellcasters. The shoe fits, and they get Int +2 to boot.

2) PrCs
Sacred Exorcist (CD): This is a favorite since it grants Turn Undead, which can then be used to fuel DMM: Persistent to create a CoDoAzilla.

Ruathar (RotW): Short, easy to qualify for, and doesn't lose any spellcasting, while granting a nice class skill list along with some useful class features. Typically used to get Survival as a class skill to qualify for other prestige classes.

Proficiencies: A single level in Seeker of the Misty Isle (CD), Dragonslayer (Draco), or a number of other prestige classes will grant proficiency in all martial weapons and in some cases heavy armor without losing spellcasting. Some also grant desirable class features at that level, the two mentioned being among the best.

Other: An archivist can qualify for a lot of various prestige classes, it just depends on where you want to take the character. You could go for a Shadowcraft Mage or a Walker in the Waste or possibly even a Dweomerkeeper, it just depends on the character.

3) Archivist can definitely afford to stay single-classed to 20 and beyond. Divine feats are too good to pass up, so if you can get a way with a shameless Sacred Exorcist 1 dip then go for it.

4) Absolutely not, you'll already have access to nearly every spell in the game (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=515321) with just this class, multiclassing will only delay your higher level spells thus reducing the number of spells you have access to at any given level. See if you can find an individual or organization that will let you copy or trade spells, which would likely fall under the same rules Wizards use (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#addingSpellstoaWizardsSpellbook). You could also use a liberal interpretation of Secret Page to put any spell you want into your book without finding it on a scroll first, but that's a bit cheesy. Since you get scribe scroll you could hire/Leadership a Warlock 12+ to assist you in creating scrolls of any obscure spells you want.

Paganboy28
2009-08-10, 06:36 AM
Hmm Walker in the Waste sounds interesting, and a Dry Lich sounds funky.

I generally dislike melee and prefer spell-casting. Buffs to protect me and then blast away or get others to do the work for me whilst I tactically withdraw or remain behind the big fighter bloke (hide as others put it...).

Been a wizard, been a sorcerer, been a warlock, so maybe something different... hence the Archivist.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-08-10, 06:44 AM
Even for a non-melee caster, DMM: Persistent is basically a must-have, especially since you'll be able to get spells like Holy Star and Stormrage. An Archivist Archer is also really good, considering all the nice Ranger spells you can pick up and cast considerably earlier than any Ranger could access them.

Paganboy28
2009-08-10, 06:45 AM
Illumians sound possibly the most interesting at the moment. What Power Sigils would you suggest?