PDA

View Full Version : Several questions on a Summoner build

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-12, 07:41 AM
Okay so, I've been fumbling around all night with an idea for a summoner-type build; >.< and in my half-delirious have-not-yet-slept state, I've decided to get some opinions on said build.

The goal here is straightforward: I want to summon non-evil critters that'll last long enough to do something even at the relatively low levels. I have some concerns though that it might be err... over the top ><; Okay alot over the top.

Build:

Alignment: LG
Race: Human

Build:

1 Cloistered Cleric 1 -
Feats - Divine Metamagic (Extend), Extra Turning
Domains - Knowledge, Summoner, Planning (Grants Extend Spell)

2 - Cloistered Cleric 2

3 - Cloistered Cleric 3
Feat: Spell Focus (Conjuration)

4 - Church Inquisitor 1
Domain: Inquisition

5 - Church Inquisitor 2

6 - Church Inquisitor 3
Feat: Spontaneous Domains

7 - Church Inquisitor 4

8 - Church Inquisitor 5

9 - Church Inquisitor 6
Feat: Summon Elemental

10 - Thaumaturgist 1

11 - Contemplative 1

12 - Thaumaturgist 2
Feat: Extra Turning

13 - Thaumaturgist 3

14 - Thaumaturgist 4

15 - Thaumaturgist 5
Feat: Residual Metamagic

16 - Contemplative 2

17 - Divine Oracle 1
Domain: Oracle

18 - Church Inquisitor 7
Feat: Touch of Healing

19 - Church Inquisitor 8

20 - Church Inquisitor 9

Now comes my set of questions on the above >.<

1) - Does this strike you as too over the top, even compared with other Cleric builds? I intentionally tried to pick some lesser feats, and I avoided the Divine Metamagic + Persist spell on purpose... but I wind up with 5 domains, which is kinda nuts.

2) - Is there a good alternative, similarly themed/similar ability class to Church Inquisitor in case I can't meet the Special requirement? Sacred Exorcist appears to be my best bet from what I've seen; but that's an extra 4 dead levels before I can take it. So if there's a better alternative >.> I'm all ears.

I had another couple questions but they've slipped my mind >.< I'm sure I'll remember.

Anyway, seriously appreciate any help anyone can offer here <@_@>; I don't want to break a campaign (well worse than a full caster will by default anyway >.<) - but I'd like to have a character who's enjoyable all the way up too; which a bunch of dead levels from going mostly straight cleric... would not be >< at least not until post level 12, which is an awful long time to wait for the fun to kick in.

Gnorman
2009-08-12, 08:05 AM
Sure, five domains seems a bit over the top, but four out of five of them mesh extremely well with each other from a fluff perspective - you're a divine mind, searching through prophecy and carefully plotting how to root out enemies of your church. It's an easy path to justify.

But you are a cleric. You are by definition "over the top." Suck it up, my friend, and enjoy complete dominance!

Between guardinals, eladrin, archons, and angels, you'll have plenty of good outsiders to toss at your foes.

Stabby
2009-08-12, 08:18 AM
Also a thing to remember is, it is only over the top if you play it as such. At least in the group I play with, provided you don't try to dominate the action having the potential to dominate isn't an issue. But having the ability to pull out all the stops when you need to isn't a bad idea.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-12, 08:20 AM
Yeah hehe, fluff-wise there really is an internal logic working here <'x'>m it's just... well... much crazier than some of the same types of things I've done with other classes.

The way I see it all fitting together:

This is a character who was picked out by their deity/pantheon (most likely the latter) for a specific purpose. The church of course took notice of that, and so in addition to ordering training in the summoning of extraplanar creatures, they also learned how to defend themselves and others from said creatures. (That's where Inquisitor really comes in - less about routing out direct corruption, and more a matter of defending against possession from outsiders and preventing corruption from taking root in the first place; at least that's how I'm envisioning it fitting.).

Divine Oracle and Contemplative are more a result of spending so much time working with divine creatures and the plans. Working with that kind of power, especially divine power at the behest of gods... >.< "It's kind of a big deal".

Outside of the prestige classes, the character is probably going to be almost monkish (in the "quiet religious scholar" sense).

At least that's where I'm aiming. Might see some changes if I get into a campaign I plan to play this character in hehe <@_@>m

*edit*

True that Stabby. Most casters I tend to play very blasty, in part because it's a bit less potent >.> so maybe if I mostly stick to just summons and heals, and avoid some of the more lock-down oriented effects, that'd help avoid some of that problem.

*double edit*

Please excuse the poor writing in the above fluff <,< it's both at an early stage, and I haven't slept yet. Huzzah! Hopefully the concept is clear enough though.

Kaiyanwang
2009-08-12, 08:41 AM
About the "over the top" thing: is mostly dued to HOW you play your summoned creatures.

If your summoed creatures flank an enemy while smashes it, will your rogue unhappy?

If your summoned creature heals the fighter while you are doing something else (or help you overhealing the fighter since the he is cheesing karmik + robilar or some other suicidal tactic), will your fighter be unhappy?

If your summoned creatures debuffs enemy's save, will your mage be unhappy?

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-08-12, 03:55 PM
Also note the adaptation section of Malconvoker. It recommends switching the bluff for diplomcy and then making it only work with good creatures for more of a pure-white summoner. I endorse this fully.

Jalor
2009-08-12, 04:01 PM
Doesn't Contemplative give a bonus domain at 1st level?

RTGoodman
2009-08-12, 04:05 PM
Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trithereon) is the perfect deity for you to worship. Full info is in Complete Divine.

mistformsquirrl
2009-08-12, 04:42 PM
@Jalor - Sweet bob it does! ... Well then I uhh... need to pick... another... domain.

Hmm... anyone have any good suggestions there? It was hard enough to settle on Planning <@.@>

... 6 domains... yikes. Spontaneous Domains was a good pick then, it's like having a small Sorcerer list tackeed on that can only be used 1/day for each spell level <@.@>

@Sstoopidtallkid - That was something I'd been thinking about too; though I didn't actually read the adaptation section (it just seemed like a logical switch) <@.@> it's sooo much easier to convince a DM to alter things if you've got a suggestion to do so right in the book. Thank you for that!

@rtg0922 - Actually from the deities listed in CDivine, Pholtos is closer to how I'm imagining the character <@_@> (Not that Trithereon doesn't fit in a lot of ways, it's just there are other areas he doesn't).

It's a pretty good suggestion though <^_^>m

*edit*

Hmm... Magic, Mysticism, Good and Meditation all seem to fit pretty well...