PDA

View Full Version : Maze World (PEACH, 3.5)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:12 PM
Maze World

This is a plane that is a gigantic, sprawling, infinite maze.

Races

Elves: The elves live as nomads, traveling around the maze.

Drow: The drow live in the dwarves tunnels.

Dwarves: They mine underground and live in well-secured fortresses.

Interaction

Drow: The drow attack everyone on sight. They are the most powerful alone, but the Dwarves and Elves together could defeat them

Elves The elves dislike the dwarves, but trade with them for weapons. They create magic items to speed their movement.

Dwarves The Dwarves trade with the elves for food, and build more traps for the maze.

Some History

Creation
The Maze was created as an evil villain's dungeon. He put intruders and disloyal minions there. Eventually, a god of trickery decided he liked the maze and killed the evil villain. He allowed his followers to dump offenders here. When a dwarf got dumped, he worked on the traps for the god's favor. The god decided to dump more dwarves in, hoping for more traps. When an cleric came through with the dwarves, they animated the maze, allowing it to produce traps, create monsters, and grow. It is infinitely wide.

Dwarves
300 years ago, a dwarven citadel was destroyed, leaving only 20 survivors. They fell through a pit and into maze world. They discovered the hostile nature of the maze, and built the first dwarven citadel in the maze. It was 500x500 feet. The dwarf population got larger, and the citadel expanded, growing down.

Drow
On an attack of the svirfneblin miners, the svirfneblin summoned a earth elemental, which pushed the drow back, into The Maze.

Elves
20 years ago, there was a great earthquake. It toppled one of the forest which held elves. As the trees crashed down, 100 of the elves were teleported down to the plane of mazes. As of yet, they haven't found a home (they do spend a lot of time in the jungle

Geography

The Fungal Jungle

The Southwest Quarter of the maze is a huge jungle. At the higher levels of The Maze (1-4) it seems more and more like an actual jungle, with assasin vines, shambling mounds and Yellow Musks/Yellow Musk Zombies. The fifth level has fungi elements as well as Jungle Elements. The lower layers (6-8) are home to only fungi, whilst the ninth level is completely devoid of Plant life.

The Undead Lair

The Northwest Quarter of the maze is a expanse of caverns filled with rubble. This area is filled by undead and necromancers. On the first floor, there are zombies. On the second, there are zombies, and skeletons. On the third, there are ghouls, zombies, and skeletons. On the fourth through ninth, almost every type of undead is there(Within the CR limit)

Thanks to Lord Loss for the fungal jungle.
Feel free to post ideas.
Please tell me what you think!

AstralFire
2009-08-12, 02:14 PM
It's a very interesting start, having a world that is a maze entirely! Could you perhaps elaborate on it? What kind of a maze is it - does it resemble one you would run a lab rat through, with white, smooth walls? Or is it more earthen?

Why are the races the way they are?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:20 PM
I see it as a solid stone, sharp angles maze with traps or monsters around every corner. It was discovered by a villain trying to find a place to put unloyal minions. The races are descendents of the minions that survived. Resistance to poison or bonus dexterity seem pretty useful!

AstralFire
2009-08-12, 02:21 PM
I see. So how did the other races end up there? Those aren't usual 'brainless minion' fodder.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:24 PM
Other villains decided to kill intruders there. It seemed like a good way to get rid of them. Do you think archers would be under powered?

Strawman
2009-08-12, 02:34 PM
Maybe archers could have new feats like quick draw, but more effective. They could also use scrying spells to shoot over walls, or homing arrows to ambush enemies around a corner.

But normal archers would probably be underpowered.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:37 PM
So basically, in loot, you could just make more powerful archery themed items, to balance it out.

YPU
2009-08-12, 02:38 PM
Wouldn’t many groups start breaking down the maze to create quicker roads of travel?
Don’t get me wrong, this could be very very interesting. But even in a odd worlds people act like people will.

Lord Loss
2009-08-12, 02:43 PM
This is just screaming Campaign Setting.

Of course, it needs a LOT more elaboration, but consider me eager to assist. Tell me If you like this:

Geography of The Maze:

The maze is divided into sectors and levels, the deepest levels of the maze being the most terrifying, home to creatures such as Mind Flayers.

The Fungal Reaches

The Southwest Quarter of the maze is a huge jungle. At the higher levels of The Maze (1-4) it seems more and more like an actual jungle, with assasin vines, shambling mounds and Yellow Musks/Yellow Musk Zombies. The lower layers (6-8) are home to only fungi, whilst the ninth level is completely devoid of Plant life. The fifth level has fungi elements as well as Jungle Elements.

The Higher Levels Are Home To (Humanoids):

Minotaurs, Wood Elves, The Lost Halflings (Will be explained later), Orocs , Orcs,Eferahll (Half Orc, Half Wood Elf, their stats are equal to those of Humans) and Half-Elves/Half Orcs (Eferahll + Orc or Elf), Centaurs, Catfolk, Gnoll, Killoren.

The Levels Of The Maze

There are nine levels to the maze. The first two are home to weak underground monsters such as darkmantles and the occaisional colony of surface dwellers, such as Dwarf Miners. The deeper ones have more and more Underdarkian Creatures. The fourth level is aquatic, and the Ninth devoid of life. At The center of the Maze is a giant ball of fire that, if walked into, teleports you to the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Maze Dwellers:

Dwarven Miners, Kobolds, Drow, Sauhagin, Whisper Gnomes, Minotaurs, Mind Flayers, Neogi, Kython, Mind Flayers, Goliaths, Chaos Gnomes, Dream Dwarves, etc.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:46 PM
Hmm... good point. Maybe the maze is made out of opaque walls of force?
Every 500 travelers that come increases the width of the tunnel by 5 feet? That would make major roads bigger.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 02:47 PM
Lord loss: Nice. Maybe Above ground levels of platforms? Worth a shot.
I think that the scattering should be level based for creatures.

For every level(up or down) away from the surface you go, you should encounter stronger creatures. Level 1: Cr 3 and lower 2: 4 and lower 3:5 and lower.

For the treasure, I think it should be something like 25% coins, 150% magic items.

Darkkwalker
2009-08-12, 03:03 PM
I seriously suggest reading the Death's Gate Cycle by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
Specifically the first book, and I think the sixth.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 03:11 PM
I seriously suggest reading the Death's Gate Cycle by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
Specifically the first book, and I think the sixth.

Why? Is it about something related to mazes?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 03:17 PM
Maybe archers could have new feats like quick draw, but more effective. They could also use scrying spells to shoot over walls, or homing arrows to ambush enemies around a corner.

But normal archers would probably be underpowered.

How much gold would a one use homing arrow cost? 20? 500?

Lord Loss
2009-08-12, 03:40 PM
How's This:

Level 1:

CR 1-3

Level 2: 3-5

Level 3:

5-7

Level 4:

7-12

Level 5:

12-15

Level 6:

15-18

Level 7: 18-20

Level 8: Mind Flayer Colony (Includes Intellect Devourers, elder brains, etc.)

Level 9: Uninhabited, contains Bridge to Elemental Plane of Fire, as well as a few minor rifts to places like the far realm

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 04:00 PM
I think each level goes on forever, so maybe that'll work. What relationship should I work on(goblinoid? humanoid?undead?)

Maybe level 10, water creatures?

Strawman
2009-08-12, 04:08 PM
How much gold would a one use homing arrow cost? 20? 500?

It'd depend alot on how powerful you made them. I don't know of any existing magical items that fit the criteria, so they would probably be homebrew.

They would probably have to cost between 10 and 50, just so that archers are a viable option.

What you could do is make abilities or feats for archer-types so that they can create a certain # of homing arrows each day.

Or you could have a returning or reusable homing arrow that costs 15,000 - 100,000. I'm not too great on pricing.

Zeta Kai
2009-08-12, 04:09 PM
Conceptually, this isn't too far away from the Labyrinth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Gate_Cycle#The_Labyrinth), a world in the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman. It was a sort of maze-like penal world for the Patryns of that excellent series of books.

Darkkwalker
2009-08-12, 04:10 PM
Why? Is it about something related to mazes?

The main character of the series is part of an entire race that was trapped in an entire plane that was a labyrinth as punishment for evil deeds.
They were meant to escape eventually.
But the Labyrinth took on a life of it's own, getting harder, and more deadly.

RandomNPC
2009-08-12, 04:29 PM
I like the idea of paths that get bigger after every 500 travelers, but is there a limitation on max size? time frame on traveler count? can i run up and down the hallway a thousand times to make it really big? Is it a within reason DM call?

yea, lets make it a DMs call on what's reasonable.

also how do the cities and dwarven fortresses form? to many travelers on a path form a room like structure?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 04:31 PM
The dwarves tunneled under ground and Built citadels out of the stone they found.

strawberryman
2009-08-12, 04:32 PM
Baphomet's layer of the abyss is a giant, endless Maze... If you can get access to the dragon magazine it's in (I forget which, might not even be dragon magazine... maybe Fiend Folio, or something), you might want to look that over for some ideas, too.

It is a good idea, anyway.

Lysander
2009-08-12, 04:32 PM
How about this:

At dawn every morning all the passages of the maze regenerate and change. This makes it impossible to permanently destroy walls or block off passages and the maze is unfamiliar each morning. Individual areas in the mazeworld intact, just the passages between them alter.

The maze is three dimensional, consisting of underground passages, flat plains covered in mazework, and immense towers and castles interconnected with bridges. All of it changes each morning.

Flying creatures must navigate invisible passages formed of rapidly rushing wind, so the maze extends invisibly even into the skies.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 04:45 PM
How about this:

At dawn every morning all the passages of the maze regenerate and change. This makes it impossible to permanently destroy walls or block off passages and the maze is unfamiliar each morning. Individual areas in the mazeworld intact, just the passages between them alter.
I think the maze shouldn't change. Towns might get crushed! Regeneration is a great idea though.

The maze is three dimensional, consisting of underground passages, flat plains covered in mazework, and immense towers and castles interconnected with bridges. All of it changes each morning.
Nice!:smile:

Flying creatures must navigate invisible passages formed of rapidly rushing wind, so the maze extends invisibly even into the skies.
Good, but I think flying creatures should get that advatange.(Maybe a few walls of force in the air?)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 05:20 PM
Maybe all the tunnels/bridges move, say, 5-30 feet a day. That way, the maze is different without people sleeping on the bridges falling off at dawn, when the maze suddenly shifts.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-12, 06:38 PM
Instead of buying stuff, I think you should have to barter, at least most of the time. Please help for elves backstory!

PersonMan
2009-08-13, 05:11 AM
For the archer usefulness topic, I think it'll depend on hallway length and width. Small passages 150 feet long will be better for an archer than one 30 feet wide and 20 feet long.

As for the elves, I'm thinking that they were forced under(or at least a good chunk of them) by a natural disaster-maybe an earthquake or battle caused the forest to fall into the earth, maybe even created what eventually became the Fungal Jungle, by introducing the fungus, etc...Then the elves took what they could and fled. We could say they haven't been there that long, to help explain their nomad thing.

Also, what about food? The fungal jungle appears to me to be the only viable means of getting food in the maze.

banthesun
2009-08-13, 06:22 AM
Reminds me of this Labyrinth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(film)).

I must say that would make a pretty awesome campaign.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 07:48 AM
For the archer usefulness topic, I think it'll depend on hallway length and width. Small passages 150 feet long will be better for an archer than one 30 feet wide and 20 feet long.

All the passages start at 10 feet wide, and are 50-200 feet long.
Good point

As for the elves, I'm thinking that they were forced under(or at least a good chunk of them) by a natural disaster-maybe an earthquake or battle caused the forest to fall into the earth, maybe even created what eventually became the Fungal Jungle, by introducing the fungus, etc...Then the elves took what they could and fled. We could say they haven't been there that long, to help explain their nomad thing.
Thanks for the help!:smile:

Also, what about food? The fungal jungle appears to me to be the only viable means of getting food in the maze.

Actually, you can find wild animals and monsters in the maze, but for plant life, so far, yes.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 09:15 AM
Can anyone come up with another corner?

Lord Loss
2009-08-13, 09:22 AM
My new Favorite Monster, which i'm using for Curst World:

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/162/a/8/eyes_of_envy_by_Wen_M.jpg

Yergil, Diminutive Outsider (Curst)
Hit Dice: 3d8+0 (13 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: fly 40ft. (good)
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +4 size, +1 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-10
Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d2 -1/x2) or bite (1d3 -1/x2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d2-1/x2) or bite (1d3 -1/x2)
Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Chilling Glance, Weakening Glance, Summon Devil
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Eyes behind your back, Immunity to fire and poison, Resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, See in darkness, Spell-like abilities, Telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills*: Escape Artist +9, Hide +19, Intimidate +7, Knowledge (any) +6, Listen +10, Move Silenty +8, Search +14, Sense Motive +7, Sleigh of Hands +8, Spot +18, Use Rope +8
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative
Enviroment: Any
Organization: Solitary, Group (2-5), Swarm (6-12)
Challange Rating: 3
Treasure: Normal
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: 4-8 HD (Diminutive), 9-12 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: —

A small figure flies around you. You don't understand how it can see, but suddenly from its horrible wings red reptile-like eyes open wide.

Yergils are the second-weakest of The Curst, spreading death, disease and fear as far all over the land.

COMBAT
Yergils are often found in groups, and if alone they try to summon more Yergils. They are noot good fighters, but their strength is in numbers and in their gaze attacks, which they use to weaken their opponentz, trying to scare them. They attack phisically only if forced.

Chilling Glance (Su): Once per round, a Yergil can make a gaze attack at a single opponent at a range of 20 ft. Any creature that falls the saving throw is slowed, as if he's subjected by the slow spell effects (Will negates, DC 14, the DC is Cha based)
Eyed Wings (Ex): The wings of a Yergil have eyes on their surface, and these eyes are capable make them do gaze attacks and see all their sorroundings. Because of this, a Yergil cannot be caught flat-footed by any opponent that does not have magical concealment.
Spell like abilities (Su): fear 1/day, DC 13, Cha based.
Summon Demon (Sp): Once per day a Yergil can attempt to summon 1d4 Yergils with a 50% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.
Weakening Glance (Su): Once per round, a Yergil can make a gaze attack at a single opponent at a range of 20 ft. Any creature that falls the saving throw start to feel fear, as if he's subjected by the bane spell effects (Will negates, DC 14, the DC is Cha based)
Skills: The eyed wings of an Yergil give them a racial bonus of +8 to their Spot and Search checks

Imagine these, patrolling the corridors, watching, waiting...

What If... For Every 500 People who pass through a corridor:

D%

1-25 Corridor Slightly Widens
26-50 Corridor Slightly Closes
51-70 Corridor Widens A Lot
71-90 Corridor Closes A Lot
90-95 Staircase to other floor is formed.
95-100 Corridor Closes Completely!

So Aquatic 4th Floor? Or tenth? (I thought there were only nine...)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 09:54 AM
Imagine these, patrolling the corridors, watching, waiting...

D%

71-90 Corridor Closes A Lot
90-95 Staircase to other floor is formed.
95-100 Corridor Closes Completely!

So Aquatic 4th Floor? Or tenth? (I thought there were only nine...)
If the fourth floor was aquatic, the floors below it are too(gravity and such)
so tenth.

D%

71-85 Corridor Closes A Lot
86-88 Staircase to other floor is formed.
89-97 Trap grows in tunnel
98-99 Corridor Closes Completely!
100 Portal to a random plane(two way)

How's that?

Yergils for the Above ground towers and such, Gargoyles below
Mwahahahahahaha:smile:

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 11:57 AM
Anyone there?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 04:40 PM
Bump:smalleek:Where is every one???

Lord Loss
2009-08-13, 08:00 PM
Heard of Norskull? It was one of my more sucsessful projects, though exam period kinda stopped me from working on it. We could do something like that for the undead sector. More coming soon (busy toninght, so I'll post it tomorrow.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-13, 10:29 PM
I need help. Please give some spells useful in a maze.

Lord Loss
2009-08-14, 06:09 AM
Useful Spells:

Light: Good in any dungeon setting.

Alarm: In wars, allows you to know when your enemies approach key chokepoints.

Continual Flame Much like light, creates a continul, heatless torch.

Spider Climb Allows walking on walls or ceilings, good for amushes.

Darkvision Fot those of you who don't have it.

Clairaudience/Clairvoyance Let's you know what lies many corridors beyond.

Daylight Very useful spell against Dungeon dweller who are facing creatures easily harmed by light.

Monster: I vill suck your blood!!!

Fighter: Thanks for the tip, gettim Bobby.

Wizard: YIPEE KAH YAH: Daylight!

Teleport Lost in the dungeon? just go back to town.

Wall Of Stone Can stop (or at least slow down) attackers, block off dangerous regions... The possibilities are endles...

Flesh to Stone Fatties make great walls

Transmute rock to Mud OH GOD! OVERPOWERED! OVERPOWERED! OVERPOWERED!

Passwall very useful...

Maze LOL!

Prismatic Wall Add an army and clean up the Corpses

Prismatic Sphere Fun!

More (Homebrew or other sourcebooks) coming soon.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-14, 08:17 AM
Summon Monster 1
Wizard: Summon Monster 1! Go Forward, Monster
(Trap fires)
Monster: Eek:smalleek:
Wizard: One less trap, Yay!

Lord Loss
2009-08-14, 08:24 AM
Fourth level aquatic, water magically kept from entering fifth floor

Dragon Elite
2009-08-14, 08:42 AM
Nice. I forgot about magic for a bit(slaps my head)

Thrax
2009-08-14, 09:00 AM
You have a maze and you don't have Minotaurs in it? Or I missed something?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-14, 09:03 AM
Maze Dwellers:

Dwarven Miners, Kobolds, Drow, Sauhagin, Whisper Gnomes, Minotaurs, Mind Flayers, Neogi, Kython, Mind Flayers, Goliaths, Chaos Gnomes, Dream Dwarves, etc.

Missing something.
Note: There are more races than listed here.

Thrax
2009-08-14, 09:07 AM
But I wouldn't put a Minotaur as just a random dweller of the Maze. They should have a bigger role, maybe even as a PC variant. But maybe that's just me.

Draz74
2009-08-14, 12:29 PM
An idea that feels very fantasy-novel-ish to me: Instead of regenerating automatically, the maze could be protected against mortals altering it (e.g. building nice roads) by a new kind of Inevitable whose task is to guard the sanctity of the maze.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-14, 01:30 PM
Stone Warrior

These creatures lurk in The Maze, punishing those who try to destroy it.
Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
Initiative: -4
Speed: 10
Armor Class: 6, touch 6, flat-footed 10 (-4 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+2
Attack: Slam +2 (1d6+2)
Full Attack: Slam +2 (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Stone Meld, Replace, Summon Stone Warrior
Saves: Fort +3, Ref -1, Will 0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 2, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: None
Feats: None
Enviroment: The Maze
Organization: Any, Usually Solitary
Challange Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: TN
Advancement: None

Stone Meld: A Stone warrior can teleport to any where touching stone connected to him. Doing so is a full-round action that allows AoO

Replace: A stone warrior can kill itself to create a 5x5 segment of wall.

Summon Stone Warrior: A stone warrior can call 1d12 more stone warriors.

How's this? :)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-14, 06:43 PM
Does anyone have any maze-themed monsters(homebrew please)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-15, 09:38 AM
Maze Denizen

Size/Type: Medium Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 1d10+1 (6 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30
Armor Class: 14, touch 14, flat-footed 10 (+4 dex)
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Bite+1 Melee(1d6) / Throw +5 (1d3)
Full Attack: +1
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will 0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +4, Hide +8
Enviroment: The Maze
Organization: Solitary, Group (2-8)
Challange Rating: 1/3
Treasure: Normal
Alignment: CN
Advancement: None

Lord Loss
2009-08-15, 01:08 PM
The Grandfather

Medium Outsider (Native)
Hit Dice: 12d8-12 (42 hp)
Initiative: 40
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 34 (+1 Dex, +15 insight, +8 natural), touch 26, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+10
Attack: +27 melee touch (Flight of Time)
Full Attack: +27 melee touch (Flight of Time)
Special Attacks: Turn Back the Hands, Flight of Time
Special Qualities: DR 15/epic, Fast Healing 10, Immunities, A Stitch in Time, Deathless, One with Time, Precognition, Time Stands Still, Time Waits for No Man, Timeless Knowledge, Tongues, True Seeing, Walk Through Time
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +26, Will +40
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 12, Con 8, Int 24, Wis 40, Cha 26
Skills: Concentration +13, Decipher Script +22, Gather Information +23, Heal +30, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (arcana) +52, Knowledge (history) +55, Knowledge(religion) +52, Knowledge (the planes) +52, Listen +30, Move Silently +16, Sense Motive +30, Sleight of Hand +16, Spot +30, Spellcraft +22
Feats: Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Flight of Time), Iron Will, Skill Focus (Knowledge [history]), Lightning Reflexes
Environment: Any
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 21
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 13+ HD (Medium)

A frail and aged man stands quietly in the corner, his bright black eyes gleaming out from above a long, wispy white beard. As your eyes meet his you see them stare out from the countenance of a handsome young man, and the face of an infant, and the grim skull of a dessicated corpse. The eyes are all the same; all the visions stand before you. This is the Grandfather

The Grandfather is one of the most enigmatic beings in the multiverse. A creature of all ages, he is the physical manifestation of time itself, both everywhere and nowhere at once. He comes and goes seemingly at a whim, sometimes leaving peace in his wake, sometimes havoc, and sometimes seeming to ignore the material world completely. His motives are beyond the scope of mortal minds, and even the gods do not attempt to control him. His avatar takes the form of an aged man, wandering across the planes in what appears to be an aimless fashion, guarding time and watching each moment pass.

Combat

While potent, the Grandfather does not attack if unprovoked. Destroying a creature to further his own goals is something that he would never dream of doing. Only those who provoke his ire by attempting to meddle with the natural flow of events will receive the full force of his anger.

A Stitch in Time (Ex): At the beginning of every encounter the Grandfather gains a pool of 9 Spin points. By spending a Spin point as an immediate action, the Grandfather may completely ignore any damage or effects from any and all spells, power, attacks, abilities, or natural hazards. This immunity lasts until the beginning of his next turn.

Deathless (Ex): The Grandfather does not die. If reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, he disappears, reforming elsewhere in the multiverse 1 round later. He will not, however, pursue those who defeated him unless they manage to provoke his ire a second time. They have bought the time they need at a high price, and he will give it to them.

Flight of Time (Ex): The touch of the Grandfather causes his foes to rapidly age, crippling them and eventually reducing them to dust. Any creature who is subject to this attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 33) or advance one age category. A successful save leaves the creature fatigued. Creatures of Venerable age who fail this saving throw are destroyed as if by a Disintegrate spell, and cannot be brought back to life by mortal means. If a creature is destroyed through the use of this ability, the Grandfather gains a point of Spin. The Grandfather may never have more than 9 points of Spin at a time.

Immunities: The Grandfather is immune to negative energy, ability drain, energy drain, death effects, disease, poison, paralysis, stunning, sleep, fatigue, mind affecting attacks, and exhaustion.

One with Time (Ex): The Grandfather may move through time and space at will, as if using the spell greater teleport, only with no restrictions on planar travel. Additionally, he may teleport through the timeline to any time, although he will never encounter himself (although he can be within the same timeline as himself--the Grandfather is exempt to the basic rules of logic with regards to time). Finally, all his abilities are treated as being Extraordinary abilities, as time overcomes even the power of magic.

Precognition (Ex): The Grandfather sees ahead in time, gaining an exceptional insight into things to come. He adds his Wisdom bonus as an Insight bonus to all attack rolls, saving throws, initiative, and to his armor class. The Grandfather is also never caught flat-footed, and is always considered to have rolled a 20 on his initiative check.

Time Stands Still (Ex): The Grandfather may take an additional standard action each round.

Time Waits for No Man (Ex): The Grandfather is constantly surrounded by a field of shifting time. Combat that seems to take merely seconds can take hours or even years. After The Encounter, roll a d10 to see how much time has elapsed in the outside world.

1-2: No time
3: 1 round
4: 1 month
5: 1 minute
6 1 hour
7 1 day
8 1 week
9 1 year
10 A century

Timeless Knowledge (Ex): The Grandfather receives a +30 Insight bonus on all Knowledge checks.

Tongues (Ex): The Grandfather can communicate with any creature that has a language.

Turn Back the Hands (Ex): Once per round, as a Swift Action, the Grandfather may turn time backwards. Every enemy within 60ft of the Grandfather must make a Will save (DC 31) or gain 1 negative level and be slowed as the spell for 12 rounds.

True Seeing (Ex): The Grandfather sees all things as they are. His vision functions exactly as the spell true seeing.

Walk Through Time (Ex): For the Grandfather, all things will fade away in the eons to come, and, as such, they cannot stand in his way even now. The Grandfather is treated as incorporeal whenever it would be beneficial for him to be so. He may also freely choose to ignore the effects of any spell or ability with a duration other than instantaneous.

He could be a guardian of the maze...

(From The Monster Competition)

Dragon Elite
2009-08-15, 02:55 PM
Awe to the grand father...

Giving an internet for...

The best mapped section of The Maze (can be a tower, or underground)

Bonuses: Length (More encounters), Detail (More description), and more new homebrew!

Dragon Elite
2009-08-16, 10:08 AM
Anyone have one yet?

Jolly Steve
2009-08-17, 02:19 AM
Other villains decided to kill intruders there. It seemed like a good way to get rid of them. Do you think archers would be under powered?

Given enough long, straight passages, they could be over-powered.

Strawman
2009-08-17, 02:43 AM
I've got a concept for a magic item. The Map Home. This scroll will always show the bearer the shortest path to take home. It will not show any mapped out area other than the path, and it will not show detours unless the original path is obstructed. The bearer must designate a spot as their home, and the spot can only be changed once per year.

It would be useful for people that have a home somewhere, but must regularly explore the maze or go on diplomatic missions to other towns.

I figure it would cost 3,000 gp or so.

PersonMan
2009-08-17, 11:18 AM
About the water layer-I've been thinking about what would happen if the magic holding the water in the layer was somehow weakened.
It'd make for an interesting campaign: stop whoever's weakening the magic or the water will drown everyone below it...

While writing this I realized that we haven't taken care of the water issue. Do the people use incredibly deep wells to reach water? Do they use magic? ...Or does water drip down from above, creating small pools that slowly drain into he water layer?

Another thing-if the maze is finite, what happens is more water comes into the already flooded layer?

Given enough long, straight passages, they could be over-powered.

They'd either have to be very long passages, very good bows, or...Well, look at it this way.

Composite Longbow has a maximum range of about 550 ft, taking a -5 to hit. The average medium creature can run 120 ft per round, meaning the archer wouldn't get many shots in before they were in melee range. Add in the fact that several of the attacks will have ranged penalties...It also depends on the monster, scenario and number(or presence) of allies. I don't think the archers would be overpowered, though.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-17, 12:24 PM
I've got a concept for a magic item. The Map Home. This scroll will always show the bearer the shortest path to take home. It will not show any mapped out area other than the path, and it will not show detours unless the original path is obstructed. The bearer must designate a spot as their home, and the spot can only be changed once per year.

It would be useful for people that have a home somewhere, but must regularly explore the maze or go on diplomatic missions to other towns.

I figure it would cost 3,000 gp or so.

That's a good one!

Jair Barik
2009-08-17, 12:36 PM
Ever read the book Sir Thursday (I think its called that anyway). That has a different style of maze that could be implemented on top of the regular style of maze for one floor (think the board game Labrinth)

Lord Loss
2009-08-18, 05:48 AM
That is a neat idea. Good book, too.

expirement10K14
2009-08-18, 04:22 PM
Can I use this idea for my own campaign setting? I have an idea for history, levels, races etc, and I want to make a much larger campaign setting for my own use. If I get enough done I would even post it here.

One idea I had was making it large, very large. Entire cities could exist on the surface where intelligent races destroyed parts of the maze to allow for their construction, and the bottom levels serve as sources of water and food, as well as threats. Many areas of the maze would be uninhabited or unexplored, giving locations for adventures.

The uppers levels serve as a haven for the humanoid races, whom live in relative harmony by necessity, although some orcs and goblins have turned against the alliance. The next set of levels serve as the home of the svirfneblin and duergar, whom serve as a buffer between the ground walkers and the level below them. This next level would contain drow and mindflayers, along with other underdark races, whom send raiding parties to the surface every few months.

The levels below them are almost all uncharted, and are the home to minor demons and devils, though these levels are also a source of water where the elemental plane of water has overlapped with the maze, and powerful mages have created portals from them allowing rivers to exist on the upper levels. It is also believed that in the bottommost level lies an artifact that created the maze and is slowly expanding it as the races move outward.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-18, 05:31 PM
Sure! Just give me credit. :smalltongue:
I like your idea.

Dragon Elite
2009-08-21, 10:11 AM
I was thinking of putting tucker's kobolds on here somewhere.:smalltongue:

Nero24200
2009-08-21, 05:45 PM
My first thought when reading this actually went to the dungeon keeper games. I'm thinking about the multiplayer maps. Would things like rivers and such form in certain areas? I'm thinking for towns, would people use magic to "hold" certain walls in place and shift others to form rooms and such?

Dragon Elite
2009-08-21, 07:09 PM
People could find rooms, and take water, so yes.

PersonMan
2009-10-02, 09:13 PM
I've recently come up with another idea-what if the water layer is actually a huge system of pipes, many of which run into other layers, and some even out of the maze. Maybe the system is kept running by some constructs, magical filters and some Decanters of Endless Water. People could even try to make risky crossings to other levels via the pipes...

Lord Loss
2009-10-03, 07:26 AM
It Lives! I thought this thread died! Personman's idea is seconded (the PCs could infiltrate the tubes!)

Dragon Elite
2009-10-03, 08:33 AM
Thank you Person man. I thought this died too!
So much, so much more!

Arkiteks from traps and treachery. It should have trap builders!