PDA

View Full Version : Requesting YOSHI (but who isn't?)

Hefty Lefty
2009-08-13, 11:04 AM
My friend and I were brainstorming what Mario and Yoshi would be in DnD. Mario is probably a Monk (uses hands and feet for combat) with a cape of jumping and a necklace of fireballs. That's the best we could come up with.
There's probably been infinity and one threads like this before, but I'd love to see what you smart homebrewin' guys can brew up.

Oh yeah, I'm not too interested in Mario as I am Yoshi. My DM said that, depending on how powerful it ends up being, I can have one as an animal companion!! :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2009-08-13, 11:38 AM
You hould take take a look at these rules:

http://www.kobolds-keep.net/MD20Rules.pdf

I was going to post Mario, but you were more interested in Yoshi.

Here's the info on Yoshi from the above source:

Yoshi
Yoshis are island-dwelling sentients, descended from dinosaurs. Their ravenous and omnivorous appetites lead them to swallow their prey whole, but Yoshis are quite amiable to creatures that don't taste good. Yoshi society is not organized enough for professions, though each masters some skill to contribute. Yoshis who travel usually do so to fulfill some self-appointed quest or to find a new food source for their home.

Yoshis are brightly colored bipedal reptiles with hooves.

Yoshis have the following racial traits:
• Medium Dragon
• +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Wis
• 40' movement
• Low-light vision, darkvision 60'.
• Immune to magical paralysis and sleep effects
• Quadruped (Ex): Although Yoshis do not have four legs, they are stable enough to be treated as such. Yoshis multiply their base carrying capacity by 150% and gain a +4 bonus to checks to resist being bull rushed and tripped.
• Tongue: A Yoshi has a natural ranged melee touch attack (as a whip) that deals no damage. On a successful hit, the Yoshi can initiate a grapple attempt as a free action. For such a grapple, the Yoshi moves 5' towards its target as a free action and its target moves up to 10' into its square to start the grapple normally (the Yoshi and its target each get to choose how
exactly they move if multiple routes of equal length are possible). The Yoshi is not able to deal unarmed damage against its target in the round that it starts the grapple. Such a grapple does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the target (unless the Yoshi uses its tongue attack from a square that the target threatens), but both the Yoshi's movement and the target's
movement provoke attacks of opportunity normally.
• +1 natural armor bonus to Defense.
• Energy resistance 5 for one of the following
energy types: acid, cold, electricity, or fire,
chosen at 1st level.
• +2 racial bonus to Jump and Survival checks.
• LA +1

Yoshis starting at level 1 should use the following stats until they gain enough experience to be what would normally be a level 2 character:
• Small Dragon
• +2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Wis
• 30' movement
• Low-light vision, darkvision 60'.
• Immune to magical paralysis and sleep effects.
• Energy resistance 5 for one of the following
energy types: acid, cold, electricity, or fire,
chosen at 1st level.

Another_Poet
2009-08-13, 11:52 AM
By D&D terms he is a textbook Tyrannosaurus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dinosaur.htm#tyrannosaurus).

In Super Mario World, Yoshi is slightly taller than Super Mario, about 3x taller than regular Mario, so three times the size of a human. A D&D Tyrannosaurus is Huge, so about 3-4 times taller than a human. (Large is twice as tall, Huge up to 4x as tall.)

Note the "Swallow Whole" special attack.

That said I don't believe Marioverse translates well to D&D at all. You have to explain why a guy with boots of jumping is able to do more damage with his feet than he could with a flaming burst greatsword. You also have to explain why he can break through 6-foot-thick brick walls with his fist but doesn't use punches to fight his enemies. To really stay true to canon you have to have mushrooms and flowers that grant Englarge Person and Produce Flame SLA's and these mushrooms/flowers grow wild in the countryside. Don't forget the Raise Dead mushrooms. These items really defeat WBL.

D&D is pretty flexible and can adapt to a wide variety of settings, but it doesn't handle cartoony settings very well. The rules just don't support it. If you want a dinosaur that can eat people go with T-Rex, but overall statting Mario characters just produces things that aren't usable in games.

ap

Debihuman
2009-08-13, 01:40 PM
I have to say that I totally disagree with you about translating the Marioverse into D&D. Yoshis aren't dinosaurs per se, but descended from them and as such have different abilities and sentience.

For Mario, you could make a version of a Plumber Prestige Class based of the Kobold Maintenance Man [See here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4405734&postcount=68].

And give him the leather jump suit found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4545868&postcount=108 and the toolbox here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4573804&postcount=119.

Indon
2009-08-13, 01:47 PM
That said I don't believe Marioverse translates well to D&D at all. You have to explain why a guy with boots of jumping is able to do more damage with his feet than he could with a flaming burst greatsword. You also have to explain why he can break through 6-foot-thick brick walls with his fist but doesn't use punches to fight his enemies.
Mario gets his damage from the falling objects rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#fallingObjects). He clearly weighs about 200 lbs, with gear, meaning that if he falls on an opponent from 10 feet up he deals 1d6 damage, increasing by an additional 1d6 each further 10 feet he falls from.

Under the effects of Enlarge Person, his weight is multiplied by eight - he now deals 8d6 damage by landing on top of something from 10 feet up (+8d6 each 10 more feet). Super, indeed.

Mario isn't just a Monk, though - he's a Monk/Kensai who has enchanted his unarmed strike (his body) with Throwing and Distance, allowing him to hurl himself 100 feet towards a target in a round. He took the Ranged Sunder feat and breaks bricks up to 100 feet in any direction by attacking them.

(I seriously stumbled upon each of these rules in discussion on this forum. As far as I can tell, it's actually RAW, without any homebrew required.)