PDA

View Full Version : Webhosts

AstralFire
2009-08-16, 07:52 AM
I am currently looking to upgrade my webhost for heavy duty porpoises. Yes, heavy duty porpoises. None of this lightweight lion shrimp or cod poop.

Aaaaaanyway, looking in the realm of 100 GB a month, with relatively low CPU usage beyond simple file retrieval and a few basic scripts; I may run a commenting system, but not full-fledged forums and I'm not expecting much on that front for a good while; as it is, this is probably more forward thinking that I need to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

valadil
2009-08-16, 08:23 AM
It's not perfect but I'm reasonably happy with Dreamhost. They're great for apache w/ php. I hear they support rails now too. But for anything beyond that you're out of luck.

AstralFire
2009-08-16, 09:10 AM
Holy god these people abuse text formatting! I do however like their humor. :smallcool:

What level of package do you get from them? What's customer service like?

valadil
2009-08-16, 10:46 AM
I think I went with the cheapest hosting option. It's whichever one is $10 a month.

I've had good experiences with their tech support. I've never had to wait more than a couple hours for an answer. I haven't had any issues with their web manager panel, though it can be hard to find things buried in all the options.

AstralFire
2009-08-16, 12:31 PM
Alright, and do you ever have unexpected stalls on your site, where it just doesn't load, or loads exceptionally slow? How long have you been with them? What's your average bandwidth usage look like, about how much data do you store?

Thanks for answering all of these questions, by the way. :)

valadil
2009-08-16, 05:19 PM
I think I've been using DH for 2 or 3 years. There is occasional slowness, but that's going to happen on any shared host service. I've never experienced a complete outage, but other people have. I'm not sure what my bandwidth usage is like. I don't really pay attention to it because I've never even approached any of their limits. I mostly just use the account for some small forums (10ish people) a few personal blogs and as a shell server. All total, I think I have about 1gb used and 300gb something to spare. A while back I decided to back up my music there, since I wasn't putting the space to any extra use. They asked me to remove it, as the files weren't being shared in any website. I though about including the files in a site to comply with the terms of service, but decided against it, so I don't know how they would have dealt with that situation.

Glad to help :-)