PDA

View Full Version : Giving Fighters Some Options [3.5]

expirement10K14
2009-08-17, 04:01 PM
I made the epic destiny for a game in the PbP section and then thought of some other things a weapon master may need, as well as reposting a few weapons I made in a thread about ninja's a long, long time ago.

Tools of the Trade

Simple Weapons, One Handed Melee
{table=head]Name|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Weight|Type
Bokken|5gp|1d4|1d6|x2|5lbs|Bludgeoning[/table]

Simple Weapons, Ranged
{table=head]Name|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight|Type
Dart|1|1d2|x2|10ft|10 Feet|-|Piercing[/table]

Exotic Weapons, Two-Handed Melee
{table=head]Name|Cost|Damage (S)|Damage (M)|Critical|Weight|Type
Bo Staff|10gp|1d4/1d4|1d6/1d6|20/x2|10lbs|Bludgeoning[/table]

Bokken- A bokken is a wooden sword that is about 55cms long, with the tsuka, or handle, taking up about 14cm of that length. It is generally used in training, but is made of hard wood, allowing it to be used as a weapon.

Bo Staff- A long, hollow staff that can be used to launch a dart stuck inside it. It throws the dart at its normal range increment, and it can be launched at any target when you make a full attack with the Bo Staff. If you attempt to launch the dart and are not proficient with the Bo Staff you take an additional -4 on the attack roll.

Special- A monk may use his flurry of blows ability while wielding a bo staff.

Dart- A dart is a small cyclindrical tube with a sharp tip on the end. It deals very little damage, and is commonly coated with poison. A dart may be held in the mouth as a last resort method, but doing so takes a DC 10 dexterity check to avoid cutting yourself, and reduces the range increment to 5ft.

A Few Feats

Deceiving Strike [Style]
You come at him from the right. As he deflects the blow you swing in from the left.
Prerequisites: Bluff 10 Ranks, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar, or Bastard Sword), Weapon Focus (Shortsword, Kukri, Dagger), Sneak Attack +2d6.
Benefits: While wielding a Longsword, Rapier, Scimitar or Bastard sword in one hand and a shortsword, kukri or dagger in your off hand you may attempt to trick your opponent into opening his defenses. While making a full attack you may take a -5 penalty to all attacks with your main hand weapon and an attempt at a bluff check against your targets sense motive check. If you succeed on the bluff check all attacks with your opponent is treated as flat-footed against your attacks for 1d4 rounds and one of your offhand attacks per round may apply sneak attack damage during these rounds in addition to any applied to your main hand attacks. If an opponent succeeds on a sense motive check against your use of this feat then they are immune to it's effects for 1d4 days.

Foot Up [Style]
Stuck in pitched combat you think up a quick way to get a better position against your opponent. After a quick jab you bring up your foot and kick you opponent in the stomach.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist
Benefits: While wielding a light or one handed weapon you may attempt to stun an opponent with kick. As a full attack you may make a single attack with your main hand weapon at a -5 penalty and an unarmed strike that delivers a stunning feat. This feat uses up two of your daily uses of Stunning fist, even if you miss with the unarmed strike.

Quick Hands
You have amazing grace in battle, using two weapons as if they were one.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 19, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Base Attack Bonus +16
Benefits: You gain a fourth off-hand attack at a -15 penalty.
Special: A fighter may select quick hands as one of their fighter bonus feats.

Master of Blade [Epic Destiny]

You are the master at your craft. Your weapon has become an extension of your own body, acting as though they were acting on their own accord. You take pride in your fighting ability and work tirelessly to hone your skills to perfection; their is always a way to improve your fighting.

{table=head]Level|Benefit
21st|Perfection of Body, Signature Weapon
24th|Wicked Blade
27th|Store Life Essence
30th|Amazing strike[/Table]

Perfection of Body: In order to use a blade you must have a body built for fighting. You gain a +2 inherent bonus to either your strength, constitution or dexterity score and a +1 inherent bonus to the other two.

Signature Weapon (Su): You designate a single weapon as your signature weapon, that which you will be know by. Pick a single magical weapon. While wielding this weapon you gain a +2 bonus on all attack and damage rolls. This bonus stacks with those granted from feats such as weapon focus and weapon specialization. In addition, the weapon is treated as being cold iron, silver and adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Wicked Blade: Beginning at 24th level you learn to use your signature weapon to deal greater amounts of damage. While you wield your signature weapon it's damage dice are increased by one step and it's critical hit range is increased by 2. For example, a Master of Blade wielding a medium sized longsword would deal 2d6 damage and have a critical range of 17-20/x2. This range increase stacks with the improved critical feat and the keen weapon enhancement.

Store Life Essence: At 27th level you transfer some of your life force into your signature weapon. By taking a -2 penalty to constitution and spending 10 minutes meditating while holding your weapon you transfer part of yourself into the blade. If you die while in possession of your weapon you are resurrected, as if by a true resurrection spell, in the location of your weapon after 2d4 rounds with full hit points. After being resurrected you regain the lost constitution, but you must take the penalty again if you wish to be resurrected. This ability functions only once per day.

Amazing strike: At 30th level you gain the ability to put all of your strength into a single attack. When making a full attack you may designate it as an amazing strike. You gain a +6 destiny bonus on all attack rolls, all damage dice are increased one step and damage from your strength bonus, if it applies, is doubled. After this attack you are fatigued for ten rounds and take a -2 penalty to constitution that lasts for 2d12 rounds. This ability may be used twice per day, but may not be used while fatigued.

Dormant Hero: Your epic quest has finished; you may have become the greatest fighter in history or defeated a powerful enemy that threatened the well being of many people. You have become a hero to the masses, and will be remember by them as you spend your time dormant on the material plane, waiting for a new evil that cannot be defeated by mere mortals. You awake only for the greatest of threats, never actively looking for a fight.

Spiryt
2009-08-17, 04:16 PM
Deceiving Strike and Foot Up are really weak feats.

Especially Deceiving Strike with such rigourous feat selection as a prerequisites should be 6x more potent.

Just my 2 cents.

expirement10K14
2009-08-17, 04:24 PM
Deceiving Strike and Foot Up are really weak feats.

Especially Deceiving Strike with such rigourous feat selection as a prerequisites should be 6x more potent.

Just my 2 cents.

Deceiving strike allows the use of sneak attack bonuses, which I think could be pretty powerful, though I am known to my group as not very good at understanding power levels. Maybe making deceiving strike leaving an opponent flat footed for two rounds may even out power.

For foot up, think of that big fighter stuck in battle. This feat allows them to use stunning fist while also carrying a weapon and also a shield or second weapon.

Edit: And also, both feats were made to try and stay around the same power level as the style feats from Cwar, though I may have failed in that attempt as well.

blazinghand
2009-08-17, 05:22 PM
I'm reasonably sure stunning fist can be used with any unarmed strike, not just your fist. A stunning elbow or kick may already be legal, even without the feat.

Edit: In fact, offering a single attack at a -5 with your weapon and a single stun attempt in a turn as a full attack isn't useful at all if you have +6/+1 BAB; you can just make a stun attempt with your knee then hit them with your sword with your second attack, if that's the case.

expirement10K14
2009-08-17, 05:29 PM
I'm reasonably sure stunning fist can be used with any unarmed strike, not just your fist. A stunning elbow or kick may already be legal, even without the feat.

Edit: In fact, offering a single attack at a -5 with your weapon and a single stun attempt in a turn as a full attack isn't useful at all if you have +6/+1 BAB; you can just make a stun attempt with your knee then hit them with your sword with your second attack, if that's the case.

I thought that you couldn't usually make and unarmed strike while carrying items without one of the monk abilities.

blazinghand
2009-08-17, 05:41 PM
I thought that you couldn't usually make and unarmed strike while carrying items without one of the monk abilities.

Oh yeah, that's right. I'm so used to only monks having stunning fist, I almost forget it's an option for non-monk characters.

Is the Bokken a 1H, 2H, or light weapon? And does the Bo Staff give a longer range increment when you use it to launch a dart?

expirement10K14
2009-08-17, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. I'm so used to only monks having stunning fist, I almost forget it's an option for non-monk characters.

Is the Bokken a 1H, 2H, or light weapon? And does the Bo Staff give a longer range increment when you use it to launch a dart?

Bokken is 1H, and Bo Staff uses darts range. They were made for some ninja thread, so I don't remember much about what I had in mind while creating them.