PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Race] Phoe-Kun

Fax Celestis
2009-08-17, 10:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/phaeton.png
Phoe-kun are the descendants of humans and phoenixes. They appear much like humans in most regards, but possess a few particular distinguishing traits: phoe-kun have fire-red eyes and usually have patches of red or orange feathers over their shoulders. A phoe-kun stands between 5 and 6 feet tall and weighs about 150 pounds.

Phoe-kun speak Ignan.

-2 Constitution, +2 Charisma. Phoe-kun's phoenix ancestry affords them a strong ego, but renders them more fragile.
Medium size: Phoe-kun, being medium, receive no adjustments based on size.
Humanoid (Human): Phoe-kun are, for all purposes related to race, human.
Speed: A phoe-kun's base land speed is 30 feet.
Phoenix's Life-Force: A phoe-kun always succeeds on Stabilization checks.
Fiery Inheritor: A phoe-kun takes one less point of damage per die from [Fire] attacks, and takes one extra point of damage per die from [Cold] attacks.
Natural Talent: A phoe-kun has a small pool of reserve energy they may tap into daily. A phoe-kun has one charge per three class levels, minimum one. A charge may be spent to activate one of the following abilities as an immediate action or to power a feat with the [Phoe-Kun] descriptor:
Fiery Wings: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as a standard action to cause large wings of flame to erupt from their back. These wings provide a fly speed (with average maneuverability) equal to the phoe-kun's land speed and last for a number of minutes equal to the phoe-kun's Charisma modifier (minimum 1 minute).
Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage to everyone within five feet. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.
Blistering Empowerment: A phoe-kun may spend an immediate action while casting a spell with the [Fire] descriptor or weaving a spell with the Fire seed. If they do so, the spell deals one extra point of fire damage per die.
Automatic Languages: Ignan. Bonus Languages: Common, Auran, Elven.
Favored Class: Bladeweaver.

and before you ask, the answer to your question is "yes."

Cyrano
2009-08-17, 10:43 PM
and before you ask, the answer to your question is "yes."

The answer to "what's my question again?" is "yes?"

Dragon Elite
2009-08-17, 10:46 PM
Question? What question?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-17, 10:48 PM
Question? What question?

This question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=16319). Phoe was an immense help back at the start of the d20r project, and I thought I'd thank her somehow.

afroakuma
2009-08-17, 10:48 PM
Ah yes, that question. :smallwink: Whether these were named after the user...

UserClone
2009-08-17, 11:24 PM
I like the wings idea, but I really think that one of the others should be replaced with something that can only be used once per encounter that brings you from the negatives up to 1 hp. Please? It's just so much more Phoenix-ey than either of the other two powers. You could call it rise from the ashes.

Draz74
2009-08-18, 12:41 PM
I like the wings idea, but I really think that one of the others should be replaced with something that can only be used once per encounter that brings you from the negatives up to 1 hp. Please? It's just so much more Phoenix-ey than either of the other two powers. You could call it rise from the ashes.

I was thinking some kind of death-cheating ability like this should be a high-level racial feat.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-18, 12:57 PM
I was thinking some kind of death-cheating ability like this should be a high-level racial feat.

...based on the charge mechanic. I can see that.

Mando Knight
2009-08-18, 02:02 PM
This question (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=16319). Phoe was an immense help back at the start of the d20r project, and I thought I'd thank her somehow.

My first reaction on seeing the title was "So Phoe gets her own race? Good deal."

Ravens_cry
2009-08-18, 02:10 PM
I believe a certain subrace gets it automatically, the Bro-Kun.:smalltongue:

DrakebloodIV
2009-08-18, 02:18 PM

Perhaps part of a feat chain, probably with another feat alongside it involving spontaneous combustion of some sort. Maybe like this:

Death By Fire

When this Phoe-Kun takes damage to the point of being below positive hit points, they catch fire and deal damage equal to that of natural fire (1d10, maybe additional 1d10 per X points of investiture). If they are dealt damage to the point of death after that they are already on fire they explode in a ball of fire dealing damage equal to a Fireball spell with caster level equal to the Phoe-Kuns class level. The Phoe-Kun is immune to damage dealt from this ability.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-18, 03:08 PM
Racial feats!

Blistering Retribution [Phoe-Kun]
Prerequisites: Charisma 15, Spellweaving, access to the Fire seed; or Charisma 15, ability to cast at least two spells with the [Fire] descriptor

Benefit: When you are damaged by an attack or spell, you may spend a natural talent charge as an immediate action to cast a spell you have prepared with a casting time of less than 1 standard with the [Fire] descriptor. Alternatively, you may weave a spell with your spellweaving ability, but must use the Fire seed in its effects. In either instance, the spell must target or include the creature that damaged you within its area of effect.

You gain one natural talent charge per day.

From The Brink Of Death [Phoe-Kun]
Prerequisites: Charisma 15, 3rd level

Benefit: When you are reduced to zero or fewer hit points, you may spend a natural talent charge as an immediate action to immediately heal 1d8 points of damage, plus 1d8 points for each three levels you possess. If, after this healing, your hit points are below zero but not enough to kill you, you may spend another natural talent charge on your following turn as a standard action to regain another 1d8 points of damage, plus 1d8 for each three levels you possess.

Phoenix Inheritor [Phoe-Kun]
Prerequisites: Charisma 15, BAB +3

Benefit: Upon selecting this feat, choose one of the following options:
Extra damage dealt from your class features (such as Ambush, Strafe, Lucky Shot, or Sneak Attack) is converted to fire damage. You may activate or deactivate this ability as a swift action.
Your melee and ranged weapon attacks deal an additional 1d6 fire damage.
Spells you cast with the [Fire] descriptor or weave with the Fire seed deal an additional point of fire damage per die.
Your aura effect (such as that produced by a paladin's Mantle of Faith or a warlord's Auras) that produces a morale, sacred, or competence bonus to allies within its area of effect increases that bonus by 1.

Special: You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you gain an additional natural talent charge and select a different option.

deuxhero
2009-08-18, 03:12 PM
They are not stolen from Tolkien, that's always good for a race. It could really use some more language options or just change it to "typical languages", there is no real reason a race can only learn languages from a small list from their background without special training (skill points/class levels).

Person_Man
2009-08-18, 03:52 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea. My only quibble is with the Flamewreath ability. The current wording means that you don't deal damage against enemies using natural attacks with reach, which doesn't make sense if they have to reach into the Phoe-Kun's wreath of fire to hit them.

Also, an 18th level Phoe-Kun deals 7d6 + Cha bonus damage per attack that hits him for a round, and he can do this six times per day. That's quite strong for a racial ability.

Perhaps something like this may be a better:

Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage against everyone within five feet of him. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.

I think limiting it to one attack and making it effect everyone within 5 feet (hurts mooks, but potentially hurts allies) balances it out. You could then add a racial feat that improves it, if you so desired.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-18, 03:56 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea. My only quibble is with the Flamewreath ability. The current wording means that you don't deal damage against enemies using natural attacks with reach, which doesn't make sense if they have to reach into the Phoe-Kun's wreath of fire to hit them.

Also, an 18th level Phoe-Kun deals 7d6 + Cha bonus + 7 points from Fiery Inheritor damage per attack that hits him for a round, and he can do this six times per day. That's quite strong for a racial ability.

Perhaps something like this may be a better:

Flamewreath: A phoe-kun may activate this ability as an immediate action after being hit and damaged by a melee attack. The phoe-kun momentarily bursts into a ring of flames, dealing 1d6 + the phoe-kun's Charisma bonus points of fire damage to against everyone within five feet of him. If the enemy who damaged the phoe-kun is standing more then five feet away from him but struck the phoe-kun with a natural weapon, he is also damaged by this effect. For each three character levels the phoe-kun possesses, increase the damage by 1d6.

I think limiting it to one attack and making it effect everyone within 5 feet (hurts mooks, but potentially hurts allies) balances it out. You could then add a racial feat that improves it, if you so desired.

Good call. *edits*

Owrtho
2009-08-18, 05:27 PM
I really like this race. Has nice flavor and is different from many out there.

This reminds me of a race (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87750) I made around such an ability. Ended up needing to make it LA +1.

Owrtho

Golden-Esque
2009-08-18, 06:21 PM
I wonder how Phoenixes breed with humans. Sounds a bit odd. And possibly painful.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-18, 06:38 PM
I wonder how Phoenixes breed with humans. Sounds a bit odd. And possibly painful.

A Wizard Did It.

kpenguin
2009-08-18, 06:43 PM
A Wizard Did It.

With a Phoenix?

I suppose mages are more kinky than I thought.

Emong
2009-08-18, 06:44 PM
A Wizard Did It.

I assume 'it' refers to the Phoenix? :smalltongue:

Edit: Blast! Ninja'd

Fax Celestis
2009-08-18, 06:47 PM
Wizards: putting the "poly" in polymorph since 1e.

Golden-Esque
2009-08-18, 09:28 PM
A Wizard Did It.

Interesting that the sperm / egg isn't altered by the Polymorph spell like the rest of the body is in most cases, eh?

Anyway, considering I said nothing constructive in my last post, here's my two cp.

The idea for a phoenix-esque race is cool. Really, really cool. I'm not a huge fan of the wings, but the bonus damage to fire spells and the ring of fire effect is interesting. Constitution is an odd thing to have a penalty to, since Phoenixes are some of the most resilient creatures in myths, with the famous ability to resist death itself via reincarnation. In my opinion, you couls better capture the Phoenix qualities in the character if you increase the level adjustment to +1 and give it more fun abilities. An ability where the Phoe-Kin could reincarnate itself would be a fun piece of fluff.

Mando Knight
2009-08-18, 09:32 PM
I suppose mages are more kinky than I thought.

And human mages are the worst of them all. :smalltongue:

Owrtho
2009-08-18, 09:38 PM
Interesting that the sperm / egg isn't altered by the Polymorph spell like the rest of the body is in most cases, eh?

I think it's likely not so much that it doesn't change with the polymorph spell, but that it changes back when they do (at least their portion of it). And if it just so happens that the egg is already fertilized, well, then stuff happens.

Constitution is an odd thing to have a penalty to, since Phoenixes are some of the most resilient creatures in myths, with the famous ability to resist death itself via reincarnation. In my opinion, you could better capture the Phoenix qualities in the character if you increase the level adjustment to +1 and give it more fun abilities. An ability where the Phoe-Kin could reincarnate itself would be a fun piece of fluff.

I agree more with Fax on the Con. I've always thought of phoenixes as not being particularly resilient, but having good regenerative ability (even such they can return from death). Also, it might be an interesting ability (and not too overpowering) if you made it so that if they had the ability to cast resurrection, true resurrection, or some similar spell, have the components on them and are dead, then they can cast the spell from beyond death on themselves with it also gaining the fire subtype and covering their remains in flames, destroying any nonmagical non fire resistant gear they have on them (may require that it be done within a day or two of death).

Owrtho

Person_Man
2009-08-19, 09:32 AM
A Wizard did it (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt).

I agree that a Con penalty is a good idea for this race. It's racial abilities are far more useful and interesting then any other non-homebrew race I can think of except maybe the Dragonborn, Hellbred, and Neraph. Con penalty balances it out, and fits thematically.

Also, there's already the feat Fearless Destiny (Races of Destiny pg 152). Once per day when you are reduced to -10 or fewer hit points, you are instead reduced to -9 and stable. Can't remember if it has a racial requirement. I'm definitely in favor of the fiery explosion + healing when killed racial feats proposed.

UserClone
2009-08-19, 09:59 AM
Yep, actually it requires you to be human, so Phoe-kun qualify.

I think it still requires one or two other feats as pre-reqs, though - the other "destiny" feats from the same book.

Obrysii
2009-08-19, 05:14 PM
A Wizard Did It.

Self-rezzing minions? Who wouldn't want that?

Though the end result does not have that power.

I am not a big fan of those wings. Fly 30ft. (Average) at level 1 is pretty strong.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-19, 05:28 PM
Self-rezzing minions? Who wouldn't want that?

Though the end result does not have that power.

I am not a big fan of those wings. Fly 30ft. (Average) at level 1 is pretty strong.

...once a day for all of one to four minutes.

Frosty
2009-08-20, 12:24 AM
I like it...VERY flavorful...and the picture is awesome!!!! *heart*

UserClone
2009-08-20, 09:38 AM
Honestly, the wings are my favorite racial power. They make sense thematically, they're useful without being overpowering, and they're badass. I mean, just look at the picture.

PhoeKun
2009-08-21, 12:08 PM
This was brought to my attention the other day, and now that I've got a chance, I wanted to pop in and express my gratitude. Because this... well, this is really neat.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what I did to deserve this, but I'm flattered that you think my meager help was enough to deserve thanks like this. :smallredface: