PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Class: Shadow Sleuth[PEACH]

Origomar
2009-08-18, 12:44 AM
Shadow Sleuth
This class is mean't to be a detective of sorts(yes ive been watching too much CSI) the only difference is that you are now the investigator the judge and if need be the executioner. They have specialized combat training and abilities that make them able to solve puzzles as well as track down people who disobey the law.

This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. -Rorschach

Prequisits-

Sneak Attack 1d6

Gather information 10 ranks

Search 10 ranks

Knowledge Local 10 ranks

Proficiency- Does not gain proficiency with any weapons

Skills-(8 + int modifier x 4) at first level
8 + int modifier at every level afterwards

Skill list- Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge(local), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Search, Sense Motive, Slight of Hand. Spot, Tumble

Shadow Sleuth
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Corpse Whisperer, Urban Tracker

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Blood Sense, Extensive Study

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Sneak Attack +1d6, Evasion

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Extensive Training

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Selective Memory(lv1)

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Sneak attack +2d6, Extensive Study(lv 2)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Selective Memory(Lv2)

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Extensive Training(lv 2), Improved Evasion

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|Sneak Attack +3d6

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Extensive Study(lv 3)[/table]

Class Abilities
Abilities 1-3 are gained at level one and do not change(mostly) as you level up.

1. Undetectable Alignment- You are treated as if you have a permanent undetectable alignment spell on you, this cannot be dispelled.

2. Persuasive Argument- A charisma based skill that involves some form of speech(Such as Diplomacy, bluff, gather information, or sometimes it could even be intimidate) You may use your intellect modifier instead of your charisma modifier.

3. Trained eye- By making a search check you can figure out what happened in the particular area that you are in(by studying the clues around them) The DC goes as follows 10+ +1 for every hour passed (rounded down to the nearest hour) and the DM can add or subtract the DC class for how they see fit to compliment the situation. You may also do this to examine how something died(note you gain a +5 to the check if they are your "favored enemy") the same DC rule applies.

4. Urban Tracking- Same as with urban ranger

5. Corpse Whisperer- Can talk to corpses and ask them questions(as with "speak with dead" spell) Can use unlimited number of times a day, but still has the regular limitations of the spell. Caster level is equal to your shadow sleuth levels.

6. Blood sense- You can see where blood either used to be(up to a day ago) and you can also use it to see people who are hiding, or to nullify the effects of concealment(Note you still have to make a spot check to see them but you treat it as if they did not have the bonus's of their hide skill or their concealment. You can use this for 1 minute a day per level of shadow sleuth. Turning it on and off is a swift action.

7. Perspective- Make a melee touch attack. if your attack succeeds your target must make a Will save DC 10+ your shadow sleuth levels + your intellect modifier. If the will save fails then you have access to their memories as far back as a week ago.

8. Extensive Training- You may use your dex bonus to hit instead of your strength bonus with all weapons. In addition you gain the ability to target the Preasure points of your favorite enemies. By doing so you can either take a -5 penalty to your hit or -10 penalty. Taking a -5 penalty you do extra damage to your enemy equel to your shadow sleuth level. In addition they must make a fortitude save DC 10+ your shadow sleuth levels + your int modifier or be fatigued. If you choose to take a -10 to your attack you deal damage equal to twice your shadow sleuth level and they must make a fortitude save DC 10 + your shadow sleuth level + double your int modifier or become exhausted.

9. Extensive Training(Lv2)- Against your "favored enemies" You can (If wearing light or no armor) add half of your int modifier(rounded down) to your AC.

10. Selective Memory(lv1)- Make a melee touch attack, if the attack is successful your opponent must make a will save DC 10 + your shadow sleuth class level + your int modifier. if your opponent fails his/her will save you can now wipe any amount of memory you wish to wipe(Note this does not work on things with an intelligence below 3).

11. Selective Memory(lv2)- Same as level one but now you can alter the subjects memory instead of wipe it.

12. Extensive Study- You may choose one type (Note: NOT subtype) of creature, your sneak attacks now do double the damage they normally do against that specific type of creature(note: types of creatures that are immune to critical hits or are not alive cannot be chosen as a "favored enemy". You can choose a type of creature that some of its subtypes are affected by critical hits or are alive and some arent, in this case it only affects the creatures that are alive and vulnerable to critical hits.). You also can use your intelligence modifier instead of your strength modifier when adding to damage rolls.

13. Extensive Study(Lv2)- Same as before but pick one more Creature type

14. Extensive Study(Lv3)- Two More Creatures are considered Your "favored Enemies"

Im posting it again, last time no one responded(Guess thats what i get for posting it at 2 in the morning)

About the class- Shadow Sleuths generally have jobs such as bounty hunters, Detectives, or Vigilantes. They were often mistreated as a child or even as an adult and decided to take justice into their own hands. Their alignment can vary from good to evil because even though upholding the law is generally considered a good act, sometimes you have to work on the morally grey side of the street in order to do so.

oh and any suggestions, comments even if negative are welcome.

Strawman
2009-08-18, 12:59 AM
I think that Extensive Study (lvl 3) may be too powerful, especially considering all the previous abilities' bonuses against favored enemies. I would also recomend changing Extensive Training from instant kill to a high damage attack that leaves a status effect.

You don't mention the skill points gained per level. This class should definitely have a lot of them.

Overall it would be great for campaigns involving a lot of investigation. It wouldn't be seen much outside of that, except in the form of recurring NPC enemies.

Origomar
2009-08-18, 01:01 AM
I think that Extensive Study (lvl 3) may be too powerful, especially considering all the previous abilities' bonuses against favored enemies. I would also recomend changing Extensive Training from instant kill to a high damage attack that leaves a status effect.

You don't mention the skill points gained per level. This class should definitely have a lot of them.

Overall it would be great for campaigns involving a lot of investigation. It wouldn't be seen much outside of that, except in the form of recurring NPC enemies.

gah i remember i forgot something

New ability any better?

Edit: wait...does that make any sense...

Strawman
2009-08-18, 04:57 AM
I think extensive study (lvl 3) is good now.

Extensive training may still need work. How about if instead of the Dex mod, you can use the Int mod. Int mod is already used by many of the Shadow Sleuth's other abilities, and if it needs alot of good stats the class will be weak overall. Also, I think the bonus damage could be as high as 1d4/per level of Shadow Sleuth. But I'm not too great at balancing.

Origomar
2009-08-18, 08:35 AM
I think extensive study (lvl 3) is good now.

Extensive training may still need work. How about if instead of the Dex mod, you can use the Int mod. Int mod is already used by many of the Shadow Sleuth's other abilities, and if it needs alot of good stats the class will be weak overall. Also, I think the bonus damage could be as high as 1d4/per level of Shadow Sleuth. But I'm not too great at balancing.

Well you use dex for hit reflex bonus and AC, and you use int for damage , skills, and AC. Then you have con just for health.

Mythestopheles
2009-08-18, 09:00 AM
Unlimited uses of Corpse Wisperer seems a bit much, maybe limit to a few times per day to keep from breaking any situations.

Origomar
2009-08-18, 05:44 PM
Unlimited uses of Corpse Wisperer seems a bit much, maybe limit to a few times per day to keep from breaking any situations.

If youve read the description of the spell it wouldnt seem that bad. First it has a 10 minute cast, second you cant ask the same creature questions within a weeks time and third your maximum caster level for the spell only 5 questions.

Mythestopheles
2009-08-18, 07:23 PM
yeah I know you can only cast it once on each body per 24 hours. But you could still ask questions to, say 10 different corpses to gain a lot of information.

Strawman
2009-08-18, 07:31 PM
Whether or not it will break the game depends entirely on how much useful information could be obtained in a short period of time. Maybe every now and then a shadow sleuth will question a whole graveyard to discover all the secrets of a town they just walked into. I think that's about as gamebreaking as it can get. Of course, what information a corpse will have depends entirely on the DM's decision.

Personally I've never had a reason to question more than 2 dead at a time, even if I was capable of more.

Origomar
2009-08-18, 08:20 PM
Whether or not it will break the game depends entirely on how much useful information could be obtained in a short period of time. Maybe every now and then a shadow sleuth will question a whole graveyard to discover all the secrets of a town they just walked into. I think that's about as gamebreaking as it can get. Of course, what information a corpse will have depends entirely on the DM's decision.

Personally I've never had a reason to question more than 2 dead at a time, even if I was capable of more.

Really, that's what i was thinking. The dm could give more information in one question in a campaign. Then in another you ask an entire graveyard and they have no idea what your talking about. Its not like im giving him unlimited uses of gate.

Mythestopheles
2009-08-18, 10:21 PM
True, you're probably right come to think about it.