PDA

View Full Version : Begone [Spell]

Lysander
2009-08-18, 01:00 PM
I see this spell in fantasy stories all the time, used by wizards that want to expel but not kill intruders:

Begone
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Cleric 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 50 feet
Target: 1 medium creature/4 levels
Effect: Teleport targets up to 400ft + 40ft/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell teleports the subjects to a random point far from the caster. Although the caster maintains no control over exactly where they are sent the spell prefers outdoor areas if any are in range. All subjects are sent to the same location, but remain the same distance relative to each other. There must be an open space and a surface large enough to accommodate them all within range or the spell will fail. The caster can target themselves or their allies as well as enemies.

AgentPaper
2009-08-18, 01:27 PM
A magician can cast the spell on themselves if they target no one else, but this is foolish because the spell will perpetually teleport them away from themselves each round, forever randomly appearing and disappearing with no time to perform any action before vanishing again. Dispel Magic can free them if their savior is at precisely the right place at the right time, but otherwise the caster may starve to death.

Seems rather arbitrary and illogical. Why does casting the spell on yourself cause it to be cast an infinite amount of times, rather than, say, ONCE? :smallconfused: If you really don't want the caster using this on themselves, (and I don't see why you would want to) why not just say, "You must target someone other than yourself"?

Also, you should note that the spell will only teleport things to a space it can occupy, and only on a solid surface. Otherwise, it's basically a save-or-die, as more likely than not the target(s) will be teleported a few hundred feet in the air, or be buried alive.

Johel
2009-08-18, 01:38 PM
I see this spell in fantasy stories all the time, used by wizards that want to expel but not kill intruders:

Begone
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Cleric 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 50 feet
Target: 1 medium creature/4 levels
Effect: Teleport targets up to 400ft + 40ft/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell teleports the subjects to a random point far from the caster. Although the caster maintains no control over exactly where they are sent the spell prefers outdoor areas if any are in range. All subjects are sent to the same location, and if any succeed on their will save none are transported.
A magician can cast the spell on themselves if they target no one else, but this is foolish because the spell will perpetually teleport them away from themselves each round, forever randomly appearing and disappearing with no time to perform any action before vanishing again. Dispel Magic can free them if their savior is at precisely the right place at the right time, but otherwise the caster may starve to death.

As said by AgentPaper, it's illogical for the spell to keep going forever. Just make it a one-time, short range, blind teleport for the caster OR specify that he can't cast it on himself.

Also, why would ALL targets be unaffected if only one of them succeed ? Much more fun to see half a group sent away while two loners stay there.

Except these two points, spell sounds fun. :smallsmile:

boomwolf
2009-08-18, 01:44 PM
I don't think its a problem to use it on yourself anyways. you may end up in the belly of a dragon (literally) that way.

Lysander
2009-08-18, 02:44 PM
I added your suggestions. The caster can now use it on themselves for random teleports, if they're willing to risk it.

Myou
2009-08-18, 02:52 PM
This spell already exists. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a

Lysander
2009-08-18, 03:03 PM
This spell already exists. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a

Hmm, didn't know about that. However that is a 7th level touch spell that sends a single target up to 100 miles away. Begone would let a wizard casually dismiss a party of intruders with a wave of their hand, and have them appear somewhere outside his castle.

Does level 4 seem appropriate? Should it be level 5 instead, and maybe have a greater range to compensate?

Myou
2009-08-18, 03:09 PM
Hmm, didn't know about that. However that is a 7th level touch spell that sends a single target up to 100 miles away. Begone would let a wizard casually dismiss a party of intruders with a wave of their hand, and have them appear somewhere outside his castle.

Does level 4 seem appropriate? Should it be level 5 instead, and maybe have a greater range to compensate?

Your version has a shorter range but is much more powerful, I think it should be at least the same level as Joyful Voyage. I personally would adopt the mechanics of Joyful Voyage and then allow multiple targets without requiring an attack roll or touch as Begone does, then call it a level 9 spell.

Lysander
2009-08-18, 03:14 PM
Your version has a shorter range but is much more powerful, I think it should be at least the same level as Joyful Voyage. I personally would adopt the mechanics of Joyful Voyage and then allow multiple targets as Begone does, then call it a level 9 spell.

I think there could be two versions perhaps, a weaker one with the range of dimension door and a greater version with a 1d100 mile range.